EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Yay! ECP's deploying.
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-02-2006 09:16:11 PM
I know I only recently started posting again, but I just want to say that Yay! I am going to go to australia, signapore, and bah rain (major sp) that I know of now that Im finaly going on a ship, the USS Ronald Reagan CVN 76, since we deploy in 2 days (and I reported yesterday, yikes)

Any last minute tips from service members before I go (Azakias and other navy people in particuler)

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-02-2006 09:32:28 PM
Don't forget your cruise sock!

So what field did you end up cross-training into?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-02-2006 09:37:12 PM
ATD
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-02-2006 10:11:50 PM
What's ATD for those who aren't Navy?

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-02-2006 10:40:21 PM
Isn't the Reagen the newest Carrier? last of the current Class.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 01-03-2006 12:42:00 PM
quote:
Bloodsage attempted to be funny by writing:
What's ATD for those who aren't Navy?

ATD-Aviation Tour Detail.

Barnacle scrubber, basically. The idea is to go in unrated, and then you get to experience all the seperate rates, and when you are ready, you can put in a package to crossrate to a chosen feild. A good system, in theory.

My advice? Dont piss off the AO's. When you get asked if you want an AO punch, say no. The AO's WILL punch you.

There are no batteries for sound powered phones.

Aircraft do not require a key for operation.

Do NOT go looking for a can of a-one-r. That is air.

Prop wash is not a liquid. If asked to go get a can of prop wash, dont go get it.

Some more practial ones are these:

Dont be late, EVER. In fact, be early. I'm routinely early by 15 to 20 muinutes for work.

Dont piss off your LPO. Dont go out of your way to piss anyone off. Things follow you everywhere, and soon you may be WORKING for that which you pissed off.

Only use tools YOU signed out.

NEVER have FOD in your pockets.

Boat-chucks and airdales dont really get along all that well, for the most part, but remember, its bad juju if you get into a fight.

Thats all I can think of right now. (If you havent guessed, I'm aviation as well...)

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-03-2006 01:00:54 PM
What's a prop wash?
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 01-03-2006 01:48:35 PM
quote:
Alek screamed this from the crapper:
What's a prop wash?

Probably a very similar thing to jetwash.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-03-2006 02:29:00 PM
quote:
Alek had this to say about Optimus Prime:
What's a prop wash?

The Turbulent Water behind the ship's wheels, sometimes indicates the sound made by the wheel's cavitation.

Azakias ...Did they send you to find those things?

--Also Sky hooks, Shore line are things to not go look for.

--- Dunno if this applies anymore, but don't piss off the Corpsmen or the paymasterguys, they can conveniently lose you shot record or pay.

Peter fucked around with this message on 01-03-2006 at 02:37 PM.

Azakias
posted 01-03-2006 03:39:05 PM
No. These are things I have sent others to go get.

Also, planes do not come with sound powered phones attached. With C-2's, there are these tubes coming from the plane... and they get new guys every time. The new guy is trying his damndest to talk on the 'phone'....going as far as to put his mouth ON the tube.

Its a piss tube.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-03-2006 08:59:40 PM
Ooh, we have an airdale group moving into a bearthing right next to us.

Do you guys get cranky having to readjust to rack living? Reagans the latest nimitz class, which is docked right next to us.

FOD? Shit, people have IPods, reading books, cell phones, food.

Deck division seems really laid back.

I havent gotten sent on any goose chases yet, seems that being on ship makes em up on its own

Azakias
posted 01-03-2006 09:36:05 PM
I'm on sea duty right now, and as yet, have never deployed on a ship.

Why?

I work on C-9's. When we deploy, we fly ourselves out there on our own planes, and then stay in hotels on the Navy's tab.

Did I mention that these are NICE hotels too?

But thats why I have never been on a ship.

I do have a buddy who was in a fighter squadron until he hurt his foot bad enough the Navy is going to seperate him. That's where I got a lot of my advice from. His shop sent some poor fool on a 5 hour goose chase looking for the keys to start up one of their jets.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 01-04-2006 09:03:56 AM
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-04-2006 09:10:25 AM
quote:
Vorago obviously shouldn't have said:
"NEVER have FOD in your pockets. "

What does FOD stand for?

Food.

But as it is really cheap food, it's just called fod. To save time and money.

Foreign Object Debris? Finger of Death?

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-04-2006 10:28:22 AM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Vorago squealed:
"NEVER have FOD in your pockets. "

What does FOD stand for?

It stands for Foreign Object Damage, and is also used to describe the objects that cause the damage. Anyone careless about FOD on a flightline is a murderer waiting to strike.

Azakias
posted 01-04-2006 04:35:42 PM
It only takes one small lug or a screw to fall in the right place to kill many people, either by shorting wires, destroying an engine, or jamming flight controls and/or surfaces.

People can become FOD too. Its not pretty.

Razor
posted 01-04-2006 06:33:09 PM
Have fun ECP, oooo yea.... you left today...... Have fun seeing San Diego for the last time in a few months
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 01-04-2006 07:13:18 PM
"Deploy the ECP."

*gathered gasps*

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 01-04-2006 07:26:53 PM
quote:
Azakias thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:
People can become FOD too. Its not pretty.

Yeah, I've seen a video of some poor guy getting sucked into the intake on board a carrier (or maybe marine flat top). The guy was lucky, he had a safety strap or something that kept him from getting sucked into the blades but it was still freaky as hell.

We used to have to do FOD checks on the tarmac at the local airport when I was in the Civil Air Patrol whenever we had a turbine aircraft coming around or when there was a lot of people around combined with a lot of aircraft traffic (public events). Amazing what can become a nasty projectile...

http://www.bloodfin.net
Demos
Pancake
posted 01-04-2006 11:26:39 PM
quote:
Kaglaaz How'ler had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Yeah, I've seen a video of some poor guy getting sucked into the intake on board a carrier (or maybe marine flat top). The guy was lucky, he had a safety strap or something that kept him from getting sucked into the blades but it was still freaky as hell.

We used to have to do FOD checks on the tarmac at the local airport when I was in the Civil Air Patrol whenever we had a turbine aircraft coming around or when there was a lot of people around combined with a lot of aircraft traffic (public events). Amazing what can become a nasty projectile...

Hell, even friggin pidgeons can take down a plane.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-05-2006 01:22:17 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Demos:
Hell, even friggin pidgeons can take down a plane.

I thought that current jet engines had countermeasures against that.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-05-2006 01:27:14 AM
quote:
Alek startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:

Not that I ever heard. Anything that could keep birds out would restrict air intake, which would reduce engine performance.

Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 01-05-2006 02:58:53 AM
quote:
From the book of Kaglaaz How'ler, chapter 3, verse 16:

My bro-in-law was a F-18 airframe mechanic while in the service. Every so often their squadron would go do training ops at NAS Fallon. NAS Fallon (for those that don't know the place) is located in the Nevada desert, and at 14,000 feet they have the longest runway of all the naval air stations. The runway FOD check there is known as the Fallon Death March.

quote:
AZ: NEVER have FOD in your pockets.
In my bro-in-laws unit they were required to have all the pockets in their coveralls sewn shut specifically to prevent that.

@ECP: Don't piss off King Neptune.

Sarudani Miolnir fucked around with this message on 01-05-2006 at 03:04 AM.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-05-2006 06:09:12 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Bloodsage said:
Not that I ever heard. Anything that could keep birds out would restrict air intake, which would reduce engine performance.

I dunno about military jets, but I believe civilian airlines are required to make turbine blades that can withstand a reasonable impact of a bird, I remember seeing a video of them firing chickens into intakes and the blades taking the hit (It was the new 777 engine from GE). Also I think The Russians put measure in place to prevent stuff like that, but at serious determent to performance.

--Does anyone know if any of the military engines have switched to carbon composites for stator material? If you have seen any of the test footage off that 777 engine GE made, it’s wicked. Some footage show it blowing concrete rubble around some distance behind the test plane

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 01-05-2006 10:53:45 AM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
I remember seeing a video of them firing chickens into intakes and the blades taking the hit (It was the new 777 engine from GE).

That just sounds hilarious!

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-05-2006 10:54:51 AM
quote:
Peter Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I dunno about military jets, but I believe civilian airlines are required to make turbine blades that can withstand a reasonable impact of a bird, I remember seeing a video of them firing chickens into intakes and the blades taking the hit (It was the new 777 engine from GE). Also I think The Russians put measure in place to prevent stuff like that, but at serious determent to performance.

--Does anyone know if any of the military engines have switched to carbon composites for stator material? If you have seen any of the test footage off that 777 engine GE made, it’s wicked. Some footage show it blowing concrete rubble around some distance behind the test plane

Well as far as I know, the 777 engine is the most powerful jet engine in the world. Granted, the guy who told me works at Boeing and helped design the 777, so he might be a little biased.

Azakias
posted 01-05-2006 12:47:01 PM
quote:
Alek was listening to Cher while typing:

Nope. Like Bloodsage said, restricting air intake is bad.

Some engines have a crossbar in the front to prevent human-variety FOD, but thats about it.

Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 01-05-2006 08:41:01 PM
quote:
Peter attempted to be funny by writing:

Top Gear did a thing a while back where they drove two cars - a Mondeo and a Citroen something or another - behind a 747 with its engines going. The cars were lifted up and tossed like rag dolls.

Kind of a weird clip, but worth checking out. I just want to know how they kept the 747 in one place.

Peter
Pancake
posted 01-06-2006 06:27:23 AM
quote:
Arttemis said this about your mom:
Top Gear did a thing a while back where they drove two cars - a Mondeo and a Citroen something or another - behind a 747 with its engines going. The cars were lifted up and tossed like rag dolls.

Kind of a weird clip, but worth checking out. I just want to know how they kept the 747 in one place.

Well.. a 747 weighs like 800000lbs

--Another good clip is the Test footage of them testing the new 777 engine, the test plane was a 747, the 777 engine is humongo..and they ended up flying the 747 on just the one engine

Peter fucked around with this message on 01-06-2006 at 06:29 AM.

Azakias
posted 01-06-2006 07:07:06 PM
You can easily run a plane's engine and keep the plane itself in one place. If you couldnt, there would be no way to get a plane off the deck, since they have to wait in a queue to take off from a runway in the first place. Lots of stopping and starting.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: