EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Have you ever been in a roleplaying game
Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-01-2006 01:53:36 AM
And done things that make you question your in life morals?

I was in a DnD game, roleplaying a charecter who was, more or less, Justin Chance Allen Level 2 Wizard, and during the course of the game became party villian, sold a PC into slavery, killed the PC's in party PC friends who wanted me to kill me for it, and generally did un nice things to people while lieing to the rest of the group about my actions, for what little time I was with the main party.

I know this kind of reeks of "learn bounderies in your mind" shit, but I was curious.

(Insert Funny Phrase Here)
Suddar
posted 01-01-2006 02:06:36 AM
If you're saying you want to do shit like that, it doesn't make you evil, it makes you stupid as shit. Every nerd I know thinks they're evil on the inside because they have twisted visions about brutally murdering people or something. It's just lame. If you're one of these people, I hope you die horribly and slowly. (< -- OH GOD)

Suddar fucked around with this message on 01-01-2006 at 02:07 AM.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 01-01-2006 02:06:47 AM
I just like to stab things. With an axe.
Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-01-2006 02:11:35 AM
Suddar hit it on the head.

Now I'm going to rape him.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 01-01-2006 02:31:58 AM
Terra Nova recently had an article on the morality of players who purposelly choose an evil character. I tend to lean towards more savage, brutal type characters in RPGs - Ogres, Orcs, Barbarians, etc. Those that know more about me personally, know that it is very much a reflection of my personal opinions of myself and how I approach relationships with others and life in general. It's an interesting topic, Raph Koster had a pretty good blog entry on the subject recently.

That said, it sounds like you're simply wondering if you're a bad person because you acted like an immature shit in a role playing group. You probably just need to be smacked around a little bit.

-H

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 01-01-2006 02:33:56 AM
Not really. It's roleplaying. I run the gamut from saints to devils in my RP characters. They're just parts to play.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-01-2006 02:34:40 AM
That's not roleplaying evil; that's just being a prick.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Elvish Crack Piper
Murder is justified so long as people believe in something different than you do
posted 01-01-2006 02:36:32 AM
I can accept having prick tendancies.

Thanks Bloodsage.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 01-01-2006 03:12:11 AM
quote:
Ruvyen thought about the meaning of life:
I just like to stab things. With an axe.

I agree! :3

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 01-01-2006 04:11:22 AM
When I roleplay, that really isn't me, that's my character. I make characters and play them as if they are parts in a story. I do prefer mage archetypes, but I don't limit myself to them, and am in reality Chaotic Good, but tend towards Neutral characters if anything, and tend to stick alignment on AFTER I've thought up a general personality and whatnot (not "huh, have to be lawful to be a monk", but rather "she's not a dick, just not very concerned with others. probably lawful neutral."). When I play evil, I do do evil things, but not for the sake of it or for the fact that I'm evil, but that it fits my character's morality - one of my favorite characters was a lawful evil human fighter who did nice heroic deeds not out of any internal morality, but because she was secretly incredibly paranoid and scared and wanted to ensure her safety by making herself a hero. None of it made me question my own morality any more than writing a gruesome scene or unlikeable character would.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Sean
posted 01-01-2006 12:39:33 PM
How the fuck did you do anything as a level two wizard.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Steven Steve
posted 01-01-2006 12:47:03 PM
Obviously you've never seen Home Alone.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-01-2006 02:08:12 PM
Directly? The sleep spell plus a coup de tat is pretty nifty.

Indirectly, NPC's like money, especially if the NPCs are rogue styled ones. Also, going to a church of opposing faction to the groups paladin and cleric and telling the bad clerics where the party was.

Steven Steve
posted 01-01-2006 02:38:32 PM
No...
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 01-01-2006 03:31:46 PM
quote:
How.... Fazum'Zen Fastfist.... uughhhhhh:
Obviously you've never seen Home Alone.

Yeah, but he got his in the end. after all he spent weekends with MJ

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Maradon!
posted 01-01-2006 03:40:47 PM
If you were being an asshole and ruining the game for everyone else, then you weren't roleplaying, you were actually being an asshole.

Kinda like the ignorant fucks who play rogues in MMOs so they can ninja loot, killsteal and grief and claim they're RP'ing.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 01-01-2006 at 03:42 PM.

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-01-2006 03:42:01 PM
Axes are for gays. Its all about wind-fire wheels. If you use anything other than that, you obviously must be homosexual and must be raped brutally with an axe.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Steven Steve
posted 01-01-2006 04:07:01 PM
But if the rapist uses an axe, he must be gay and therefore has to be raped brutally with an axe.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-01-2006 04:07:23 PM
There are days in which I wish I had the power to make Faz a mod.
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-01-2006 04:33:10 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist Model 2000 was programmed to say:
But if the rapist uses an axe, he must be gay and therefore has to be raped brutally with an axe.

Exactly, it would incite a chain reaction that would no doubt cause all humanity to be raped brutally with an axe.

"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 01-01-2006 08:08:22 PM
Psychically.

*runs*

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 01-01-2006 08:25:01 PM
Starting with Deth. *runs after him*
Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-01-2006 08:42:30 PM
I hereby declare Deth and Alek husband and wife.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-01-2006 09:11:05 PM
*root comes out and trips Alek on "accident"*

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 01-02-2006 03:57:24 AM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Directly? The sleep spell plus a coup de tat is pretty nifty.

You overthrew a government after a single sleep spell? Wow. Your character is amazing.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-02-2006 03:58:40 AM
quote:
We were all impressed when Falaanla Marr wrote:
You overthrew a government after a single sleep spell? Wow. Your character is amazing.

This made me giggle.

Quotin dis.

Steven Steve
posted 01-02-2006 11:37:18 AM
Just plant a used condom on the president and alert the opposing party.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 01-02-2006 01:44:33 PM
And it's coup d'etat

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-02-2006 09:09:57 PM
That is pretty funny.

Maradon, I was the groups bad guy for a while, kinda like a gimpy version of the Dragonlance wizard. The people I killed/soldintoslavery werent too happy about it, but the rest of the group got over it (first player killing player every for alot of these people, myself included. No one else had played a charecter who actually went bad before.)

Coup De Grace, or whatever the real french? spelling is.

The problem with my charecter, was that people thought he was very well done(one of the best two roleplayed in a 15 some group), where I really just did what I think I would have done in those situations. (low combat game, me killing people was like the 5th battle we had.)

Sean
posted 01-02-2006 09:19:34 PM
quote:
Elvish Crack Piper, what the hell are you doin' out here? You oughta be in bed.
a 15 some group)

I found our problem!

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-02-2006 09:23:47 PM
Griefing your own party isn't roleplaying; it's being a dick. And any DM worth a damn wouldn't allow that kind of crap, or such a radically stupid alignment in a party in the first place. If you're going to roleplay an evil character in a good party, you have to be a lot more subtle, and have a damn good reason for being there in the first place.

Gadani
U
posted 01-02-2006 09:24:09 PM
quote:
From the book of Elvish Crack Piper, chapter 3, verse 16:
That is pretty funny.

Maradon, I was the groups bad guy for a while, kinda like a gimpy version of the Dragonlance wizard. The people I killed/soldintoslavery werent too happy about it, but the rest of the group got over it (first player killing player every for alot of these people, myself included. No one else had played a charecter who actually went bad before.)

Coup De Grace, or whatever the real french? spelling is.

The problem with my charecter, was that people thought he was very well done(one of the best two roleplayed in a 15 some group), where I really just did what I think I would have done in those situations. (low combat game, me killing people was like the 5th battle we had.)

well in that case i guess you're truly evil

Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-02-2006 09:43:19 PM
It wasnt 15 all at the same time, we had some people come in for awhile then leave, actual group was between 8 and 12 people, before getting one night with 16 and the dm making it into 2, then 3, groups.

It wasnt griefing, the slavery thing wouldnt have been permanent, DM isnt a dick enough to let me sell the guy without the party or someone finding out. His charecter joined back with the group the next session. The first two people to find out came at me with swords and daggers and such, I had to kill them in self defense, and the rest of the group didnt kill me. I know it seems silly to say, but I am alot more eloquent in real life.

We didnt choose alignment, reason I posted this thread is because I gradually played him to be lawful evil.

The good reason was they chased my horse down and tried to kill me.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 01-02-2006 09:44:29 PM
o your so evli
Elvish Crack Piper
posted 01-02-2006 09:45:45 PM
shit
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 01-02-2006 10:10:52 PM
Exactly how do you explain an LE character being in a party of good people? Seems pretty damned unlikely to me, and I've never played with a DM who would allow that much of an alignment mis-match.

Steven Steve
posted 01-03-2006 12:33:47 AM

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 01-03-2006 01:45:49 AM
quote:
Bloodsage stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Griefing your own party isn't roleplaying; it's being a dick. And any DM worth a damn wouldn't allow that kind of crap, or such a radically stupid alignment in a party in the first place.

Unless they're a really good GM with a group of really good RPers.

There was a city based AD&D game (First Ed, the GM liked breaking out the old school stuff from time to time) that I and some friends were in. Two of the characters were secretly working for the Assassians' Guild, in different factions. My character was secretly a Hengeyokai (Oriental shapechanger), using his true form to go out and pull a Batman routine on the scum of the city. Pretty much everyone else also had some kind of secret they were hiding.

By the time the party self distructed, the city was a mess. The Theives' and Assassians' Guilds were in open warfare, with the poor and homeless caught in the crossfire. Parts of the city had been burned down, including the newly constructed hidden headquarters of the Assassians' Guild. Both guilds and at least one party of adventurers was out to kill the lot of us, and the entire party was running for their lives.

It wasn't until the final session that everything finally came to light. Then half the party killed the other half, left the bodies behind to be found by the people that were after us, and scattered to the four winds. It was glorious chaos, and a truely memorable game.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 01-03-2006 02:18:34 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Bloodsage said:
Exactly how do you explain an LE character being in a party of good people? Seems pretty damned unlikely to me, and I've never played with a DM who would allow that much of an alignment mis-match.

While I doubt most GMs would allow such alignments to intermingle, I could see it happening since LE characters tend to have a knack for lying and manipulating their way into the trust of those of more moral alignments.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 01-03-2006 02:24:10 AM
quote:
This one time, at Bloodsage camp:

Ah, that works. As long as we aren't talking about "slaughter the innocent and rape small children" evil.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: