EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Need to prank a coworker.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 12-22-2005 12:58:06 PM
I need a program that will slow their PC to a crawl, be invisible on the taskbar/process list in Task Manager, but be easy to disable/remove when the prank has been pulled off.

Can anyone give me suggestions?

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 12-22-2005 01:05:03 PM
Just have their pc do a AV and a scan disk at the same time that will slow things down and they might not notice it.

There is a way to asign priority to programs, you could make whatever they use most the lowest priorty and whatever they use least the highest. that would be invisible and easy to reset afterwords

office pranks

Jackman fucked around with this message on 12-22-2005 at 01:08 PM.

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Sean
posted 12-22-2005 01:08:38 PM
are you tuff enuff to prank the president??
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 12-22-2005 01:09:38 PM
quote:
So quoth Jackman:
Just have their pc do a AV and a scan disk at the same time that will slow things down and they might not notice it.

There is a way to asign priority to programs, you could make whatever they use most the lowest priorty and whatever they use least the highest. that would be invisible and easy to reset afterwords

Too obvious. It needs to be invisible on the taskbar and process list.

I was also about to suggest writing a Java program with an infinite loop, that created and filled an integer array with random numbers. Now, that alone isn't going to slow a system down too much... Unless you keep making bigger and bigger arrays and filling them with more random numbers.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Alek
Not The Rapist
posted 12-22-2005 01:10:29 PM
Take out their RAM and replace it with a 64 meg stick or something like that.
"Love wisdom, and she will make you great. Embrace her, and she will bring you honour. She will be your crowning glory."
-Proverbs 4:8-9
Khyron
posted 12-22-2005 01:16:02 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Jackman!

This is both highly inaccurate (In that the AV software will be FULLY VISIBLE in the Taskbar, Task Manger application list, and Task Manager Processes list) and completely useless for my purposes.

Jackman
posted 12-22-2005 01:28:30 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Khyron said:
This is both highly inaccurate (In that the AV software will be FULLY VISIBLE in the Taskbar, Task Manger application list, and Task Manager Processes list) and completely useless for my purposes.

Yes it will be visable but will they really notice it? its in plain sight after all. It was just a suggestion.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Jackman
posted 12-22-2005 01:35:15 PM
Set the page file to a very small number.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-22-2005 01:59:01 PM
Prime95.
Sean
posted 12-22-2005 02:19:04 PM
windows xp
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 12-22-2005 08:32:54 PM
quote:
Sean got a whole lot of nerve:
windows xp

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 12-22-2005 09:09:56 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Sean wrote:
windows xp

el-oh-el

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Cherveny
Papaya
posted 12-22-2005 10:44:42 PM
Haven't tried this with newer versions of Windows, but the first version of Windows 95 had problems with handling large ping packets coming in quickly.

So, what we would do to prank this one co-worker, was get the 4 of us in our department to all ping-flood the one annoying co-worker at the same time, with large packets. It would actually cause his PC to quasi-freeze, with even mouse moves taking 2 to 3 seconds, and the target being unable to figure out what is happening. Didn't take much really, barely touched the bandwidth of the 10Mbps LAN for everyone else.

Of course, these days, if it was a well run LAN, people often look for such anomalous traffic, checking for signs of a worm/virus controlled PC, and the like.

And, also, hopefully Microsoft has optimized their TCP/IP stack from those days, but you never know.

Dave
)_(
posted 12-23-2005 01:34:53 AM
You could allways take a screenshot of his desktop while hiding the mouse pointer, moving all his shortcuts to a folder and hide the taskbar then set the screenshot as his desktop picture.
Khyron
posted 12-23-2005 01:39:26 AM
quote:
Dave said this about your mom:
You could allways take a screenshot of his desktop while hiding the mouse pointer, moving all his shortcuts to a folder and hide the taskbar then set the screenshot as his desktop picture.

Oh, that's been done so often around here, that everyone knows to check for that instantly =/

The last good prank I did, was to install an invisible 'dirty mouse' program that'd stop the mouse from moving every set amount of time. Had a few coworkers sitting there digging at their optical mice with pens trying in vain to clean it out

I need a similar proggy, only one that taxes the system so badly it slows down to a CRAWL. But I can't find one =/

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-23-2005 01:58:34 AM
quote:
Khyron was listening to Cher while typing:
Oh, that's been done so often around here, that everyone knows to check for that instantly =/

The last good prank I did, was to install an invisible 'dirty mouse' program that'd stop the mouse from moving every set amount of time. Had a few coworkers sitting there digging at their optical mice with pens trying in vain to clean it out

I need a similar proggy, only one that taxes the system so badly it slows down to a CRAWL. But I can't find one =/

Well, yeah.... there are some tools I use to play old DOS games that do exactly that. But they are not hidden.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-23-2005 05:36:45 AM
If you did that to my work PC I'd beat your head on the desk.

You are there to work. NO FUN IN THE WORKPLACE, SLAVES.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 12-23-2005 08:19:43 AM
You could just prank him in the head wit a tire iron.

WHAMMY!

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 12-24-2005 02:00:53 PM
quote:
Dave stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

dude... thats awesome..

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Sabratiz
Pancake
posted 12-24-2005 05:09:24 PM
You could always try writing something that would cause the computer to keep checking the floppy drive. Each time takes a couple seconds so if done enough I imagine it would slow it to a crawl. With the added bonus of "Please insert disk in A: drive" popping up constantly. That would annoy anyone.
pain is temporary but pride is forever
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 12-24-2005 05:17:29 PM
I did the desktop screenie thing once.. on the bosses comp at work. Right before corporate guys showed up. So he told me I would be fired if I ever made him look that dumb again.

So the next month, I added 4 shortcuts to his desktop, and did the same thing, but left his icons and such active. EXCEPT the 4 other icons I had added. They were fake, and just part of the desktop image. So he could not delete them, or activate them.

VirtuaGirl
Shortcut to Hustler.com
Bonzai Buddy
Shortcut to Warez.de

One of the corporate goons was from IT.. HE thought it was funny.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: