EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Josh Christ!!
Maradon!
posted 12-20-2005 09:37:36 PM
Talonus
Loner
posted 12-20-2005 10:34:22 PM
Nothing new. There's multiple translations of the name, all dependent on what language you're translating it through. Personally, I think High Zeus is the best non-standard translation. It just sounds cool.
Maradon!
posted 12-21-2005 12:07:42 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Talonus who doth quote:
Nothing new. There's multiple translations of the name, all dependent on what language you're translating it through. Personally, I think High Zeus is the best non-standard translation. It just sounds cool.

It's kinda news to me. The word "Jesus" being a mistranslation of a mistranslation, kinda makes you wonder why people still use it.

Talonus
Loner
posted 12-21-2005 06:49:44 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Maradon! said this:
It's kinda news to me. The word "Jesus" being a mistranslation of a mistranslation, kinda makes you wonder why people still use it.

Jesus isn't really wrong. The Latin translation of the Greek is Jesus. The Greek translation of the Aramaic is Iesous (No J used in the Greek at the time). The Aramaic translation of the Hebrew is Yeshua. The Aramaic translation of the Hebrew is Yehoshua. I think I got all those right.

It all depends on what translation you use. The King James Bible was Latin (English now, but the translation didn't change when going from Latin to English) translated from Greek. The King James Bible is the text that was popularized, so Jesus is the translation used. None is really wrong; they're all different translations. You can't even be sure if Yehoshua is correct either of course.

Mod
Pancake
posted 12-21-2005 07:03:27 AM
quote:
This one time, at Maradon! camp:

Think of it in terms of romanization of Japanese or Arabic names. Remember the whole anime fanboy shitstorm over Arucad / Arcad / Alucard? Or the inconsistent spelling of some Arab names in the news? It's the same case here, a translation of a name is often just an attempt to form a word which, according to the rules of the language being translated to, sounds the same as the original, you don't have this problem with most words, since their meaning is mostly tied to actual concepts and thus the fact that the word 'tabula' does not sound like 'chalkboard' at all does not get in the way.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 12-21-2005 10:40:33 AM
JOSH!!

BILL BRADSKY!!

CHUCK NORRIS!!

hey
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-21-2005 11:39:51 AM
quote:
Maradon! put down Tada! magazine long enough to type:

It's the same reasoning that enables you to profess to be a true Christian, and yet be a greedy, heartless bastard(Anyone who's studied the Bible will tell you that Jesus was a communist peacenik). The whole notion of Christianity as an ideology is not a concern for a great number of people. It's really more of a social club that's steeped in longstanding tradition. People call him Jesus because everyone else does, and, as far as they're concerned, always have. Belonging to the club is of prime importance, studying the ideology and making informed choices about it is not.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-21-2005 01:10:11 PM
quote:
The Hitchhikers Guide has this to say on Karnaj:
It's the same reasoning that enables you to profess to be a true Christian, and yet be a greedy, heartless bastard(Anyone who's studied the Bible will tell you that Jesus was a communist peacenik). The whole notion of Christianity as an ideology is not a concern for a great number of people. It's really more of a social club that's steeped in longstanding tradition. People call him Jesus because everyone else does, and, as far as they're concerned, always have. Belonging to the club is of prime importance, studying the ideology and making informed choices about it is not.

Unless you're evangelical, then recruiting members and making them feel bad if they aren't a member is your prime role.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-21-2005 02:00:56 PM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about dark elf butts:
Unless you're evangelical, then recruiting members and making them feel bad if they aren't a member is your prime role.

High-five for catholics.

Lashanna
noob
posted 12-21-2005 07:42:53 PM
quote:
Talonus was naked while typing this:
Jesus isn't really wrong. The Latin translation of the Greek is Jesus. The Greek translation of the Aramaic is Iesous (No J used in the Greek at the time). The Aramaic translation of the Hebrew is Yeshua. The Aramaic translation of the Hebrew is Yehoshua. I think I got all those right.

Been hitting the Wikipedia again I see.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Talonus
Loner
posted 12-21-2005 07:57:25 PM
quote:
Lashanna had this to say about Robocop:
Been hitting the Wikipedia again I see.

More like years of Catholic schools. It would have been easier if I used Wikipedia, but I wanted to try and remember the spellings on my own.

Lashanna
noob
posted 12-21-2005 07:58:07 PM
I said that because it's wrong, . See, it was a "lolwikipedia sux" joke.
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Talonus
Loner
posted 12-21-2005 08:16:15 PM
quote:
Lashanna attempted to be funny by writing:
I said that because it's wrong, . See, it was a "lolwikipedia sux" joke.

Oh, correct away then. I'm forgetful about this. I could've sworn that was the progression, but its been years.

Maradon!
posted 12-23-2005 01:25:54 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Talonus who doth quote:

You didn't even read the article, did you.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: