EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A site that Burger showed Inferno who showed me (it's awesome)
Aaron (the good one)
posted 12-15-2005 10:14:46 AM
http://www.pandora.com

It is unlimited streaming music. What you do is pick a band or song that you like. It then goes through and finds similar songs by other bands. You keep saying "I like this" or "I don't like this" and it will keep refining it's parameters until it just starts playing songs that you should like. You can have up to 100 'Stations' and they are followed by account or cookies. No subscription fee though there is a subscription service to get rid of the visual add which is easily ignored. They don't have any commercials inbetween songs so it's just song after song after song. Check it out.

Edit: There is one bad side about this. When you find a song you like from a no-name band, it's a BITCH to find the mp3.

Delidgamond fucked around with this message on 12-15-2005 at 10:21 AM.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 12-15-2005 11:05:50 AM
It's also a eats up notable resources, alhtough that hasn't deterred me yet.
"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Aaron (the good one)
posted 12-15-2005 11:30:58 AM
I already got two new mp3s from this by using Evanesence as a reference point. As soon as I confirm the mp3s are good I will be posting them

Leaves' Eyes - Senses Capture
Flyleaf - All Around Me

Delidgamond fucked around with this message on 12-15-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 12-15-2005 04:28:24 PM
This looks really cool! Thank you for posting it.
Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 12-15-2005 04:33:17 PM
This is one of the best things on the internet right now.
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-15-2005 04:42:44 PM
This is a million feet tall of awesome.
Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 12-15-2005 07:45:03 PM
I'm giving this site a bookmark. As well as my man-love

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 12-15-2005 08:39:52 PM
Seen it before, but it's pretty awesome. So far it's given me a few okay bands after plugging in Tristania (Kamelot, which are violently dorky but okay), Strapping Young Lad (apart from gobs and gobs of KMFDM, Soilwork, which is good - I currently have Stabbing the Drama in my head) and Nine Inch Nails (got Apartment 26, whose song Give Me More is about the purest essence of fucking addictive, and Crossbreed, who made a really good song (Pure Energy) and some sub-par ones), but it can get pretty weird some times (I got Ted Nugent and Stompin' Tom on more than one occasion).

I'm going to feed it Blue Man Group and see if it chokes.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 12-15-2005 09:26:08 PM
quote:
Nicole likes the cock and also said this;
got Apartment 26, whose song Give Me More is about the purest essence of fucking addictive

It's like Lou Bega (Mambo #5 singer) meets NIN

Aaron (the good one)
posted 12-15-2005 09:29:07 PM
Another thing I like about this site. You know those old but good songs you hated on the radio because they overplayed the fucking hell out of it until you just got sick of it? They tend to play those and you start liking them again since you haven't heard it for a long time

Disturbed - Prayer.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 12-16-2005 12:13:16 AM
Apartment 26 has really jammed themselves in my head and I'm probably going to have to buy a CD now.

And now it has given me Greedy Fly by Bush, which is somewhat awkward as I loved that band in junior high. And it's still a pretty decent song!

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Aury
My hair is a deadly weapon
posted 12-16-2005 01:56:58 AM
I'm reminded of echo.com from the days of yore.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-18-2005 01:14:11 AM
I stumped it with GNARKILL! Which is probably a good thing.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-18-2005 04:42:19 AM
Extremely spiffy!
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 12-18-2005 05:02:57 AM
the other problem with this site is that you can only listen to a song once.
The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-18-2005 05:09:11 AM
quote:
TheOriginalZane's fortune cookie read:

I'm pretty sure it's meant to introduce you to music

Chugga
Pancake
posted 12-18-2005 03:28:44 PM
It's nice but it's playing all songs and artists I know already, and I've finished up my song skipping for the hour.
Talonus
Loner
posted 12-18-2005 03:45:17 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when TheOriginalZane said this:

I've used it for several weeks now and I've had bands/songs replayed plenty of time, especially with older music.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: