EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Tau.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-14-2005 06:58:56 PM
So, any 40k Tau players?

I finally have the potential ability to get into 40k (meaning, I can afford a decent sized army of miniatures, paints, and the other necessary shit).

Tau are an army I'm seriously considering -- I like the miniatures, I like their playstyle and they aren't common at the local gaming store. I looked at Space Marines but am trying to avoid them since they are so sickeningly overplayed at the store (literally half of the people in the Pyramid League play some variations of Space Marines).

I realize the Marines are popular because they are a good army, but Tau, from what I've watched and the little bit I've played with the store owner's army, seem to be right up my alley.

If you don't play Tau, what DO you play? Why?

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 12-14-2005 at 07:19 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-14-2005 07:24:27 PM
I played Orcs. Back when the game was good.

UH OH 3RD EDITION BASHING.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-14-2005 08:53:36 PM
I play Orks (more specifically, Kult of Speed) and Necrons.

Tau are good, but you're going to have a lot of trouble dealing with heavily armored enemies such as space marines and necrons (at least until the new Tau codex comes out, if the rumors are true). The biggest decision you'll need to make for your force is whether you want to be static or mechanized. Please note, all this info is based on playing against Tau and talking to different people, not on my own play experience.

With a static Tau force, you sit back with your broadside suits to pop enemy vehicles with what is arguably the best anti-vehicle gun in the game, and wait for your enemies to come to you. Once they're within your basic troops' guns range (which is better than any basic troops gun in terms of range and power IIRC) blast them. The biggest trouble you'll have is dealing with fast moving assault armies such as Tyranids or KoS, as Tau are notorious for their lack of close-combat ability. You can mitigate this with kroot, but there's a huge debate on whether kroot are worth it or not, and whether it's just better to take more fire warriors. I don't play Tau so I can't really comment on that. Add in stealth suits and crisis suits to pick out weak parts of the enemy line, and you have the basic Tau list.

With a mechanized force, you'll pretty much be whoring out a tactic called "Fish of Fury". With this, you utilize fire warrior squads mounted in Devilfish to drop your troops at close range to the enemy, with the transport between you and them. This prevents you from being charged through the transport, however since it's a skimmer you can shoot underneath it. General strategy for this is using 2 squads or so to pick out vulnerable enemy units, forming a V shape with the devilfish, and the massed firepower of two squads to wipe your target out in one round of shooting lest they counterattack. For antitank in this list, most people opt for either Hammerheads armed with railguns (which is also great against horde armies because of their alternate fire mode) and/or crisis suits with fusion blasters. A Hammerhead with an ion cannon is great for taking out 3+ armor saves or big 'Nid monsters. Broadsides are too slow for this type of force, so use the hammerheads instead.

P.S.
Tau are filthy fish-headed space communists.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-14-2005 09:06:11 PM
I thought Tau were more like Imperilists?

Alos If you are lookign to Play Tau, Wait a bit, It Looks like they will be getting new units or a revamp pretty soon.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-14-2005 09:08:57 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I played Orcs. Back when the game was good.

UH OH 3RD EDITION BASHING.

so uhhh what of this 4th edtion?

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-14-2005 09:11:25 PM
Yeah, I'd wait before assembling a Tau force, as their new codex is supposed to be coming out relatively soon.

Meanwhile I'll keep waiting for the long overdue Ork codex :grumble grumble:

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-14-2005 09:18:29 PM
The Tau Sniper looks to be a really Nifty concept. And a new Tau race I see.
40k Previews
DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 12-14-2005 09:31:32 PM
I do play tau. I have a good 2000 pt army. Consists of 3 firewarrior squads of 12, 12 kroot, 4 hounds, a shaper, 3 broadsides, 3 crisis suits, 1 crisis HQ with 2 bodygaurds, 5 stealthsuits with one captain, 12 gun drones, 2 hammerheads.

I like to have lots of range, which is really how most people play tau.

I think you could have quite the powerful close/medium range army using O'shovah, 4, 3 person squads of Crisis suits, one full squad of stealth suits, pathfinders, broadsides, and a hammerhead. And the rest of the ranks filled with firewarriors.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 12-14-2005 09:31:47 PM
Taus are sissies and are but food for the HIVE
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-14-2005 09:39:06 PM
quote:
Liam said:
Taus are sissies and are but food for the HIVE

I wanted to play Tyranids but they're too damn hard to paint. All that organic colouring and blending would drive me insane.

In other news, Tau are watered-down Eldar with an anime mech skin.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 12-14-2005 09:49:02 PM
I've played as nids, tau, space marines, chaos, eldar, and dark eldars. I've faught all of them and the witch hunters, necrons, and orks. (things to do when your in the modeling/tabletop club at college)

Personaly, im buying a witch hunter army as we speak(go ebay for getting the codex for 6$), but my experience with the Tau was me vs nids and vice versa. the whole goal is to get your tank out there and in line with their hive tyrant so he cant get all batshit crazy on you when he gets into close range, and when you cant get a shot at him, use the area effect railgun to thin out the charging frontline of genestealers(which now have fleet of claw in 4th edition).

Basicaly, sit back, shoot, hope you kill them before they manage to assault you. Once they assault you, your boned.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 12-14-2005 09:54:38 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Peter wrote:
The Tau Sniper looks to be a really Nifty concept. And a new Tau race I see.
40k Previews

woah sniper, sniper drones, and the new race look super cool.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-14-2005 11:36:33 PM
quote:
DrPaintThinner had this to say about Duck Tales:
I do play tau. I have a good 2000 pt army. Consists of 3 firewarrior squads of 12, 12 kroot, 4 hounds, a shaper, 3 broadsides, 3 crisis suits, 1 crisis HQ with 2 bodygaurds, 5 stealthsuits with one captain, 12 gun drones, 2 hammerheads.

I like to have lots of range, which is really how most people play tau.

I think you could have quite the powerful close/medium range army using O'shovah, 4, 3 person squads of Crisis suits, one full squad of stealth suits, pathfinders, broadsides, and a hammerhead. And the rest of the ranks filled with firewarriors.

This is a classic static Tau list. Although it's a bit heavy on anti-tank with 3 broadsides and 2 hammerheads (unless one of the 'heads is armed with an ion cannon) as the only army you'll need that much anti-tank against is an Armored Company, which generally are very rare.

The second suggestion though is far too many suits, and will be easily swarmed by almost any army. Being that suits count as infantry, they'll get raped in assault just like the rest of the Tau, but you won't have the sheer number of guns necessary to thin things out before they get to you. Come to think of it, this is a bit too heavy on anti-tank too.

Also, armies with deep strike or infiltrate will give static Tau a tough time, especially Space Marines using drop pods. IG will also depending on who gets the first turn, as they're one of the few armies that can outgun you. An indirect-firing Basilisk kept out of sight will force you to advance, negating the weapons of your broadsides and very easily popping your hammerheads.

Edit: Also, I recommend taking either broadsides or hammerheads for your railgun needs, not both. Broadsides in a nice cover position for static lists, or railgun hammerheads for mobile lists.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 12-14-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Dave
)_(
posted 12-15-2005 04:04:22 AM
Tau are going to get VERY VERY nasty with their new codex due out in a few months. I would personaly hold off from buying things other than fire warriors to put together and paint right now.

The new codex, rules, new models will change alot of things.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-15-2005 05:06:41 AM
quote:
Quoth Mortious:
I wanted to play Tyranids but they're too damn hard to paint. All that organic colouring and blending would drive me insane.

In other news, Tau are watered-down Eldar with an anime mech skin.

Nah, go with something easy like a single-color basecoat and contrasting armor plates. One of the GW guys has an awesome-looking horde that's just black with yellow armor plates. Then it's just a matter of the eyes, tongues, and weapons.

I'm wanting to do a 'Nid army, but won't have the time for a while.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 12-16-2005 09:28:46 AM
The only interesting race is the Imperium.
hey
Alaan
posted 12-16-2005 11:34:54 AM
Anyone have any sites for beginner painting tips?
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-16-2005 03:07:08 PM
Just a quick tip on painting. In my admittidly limited experiance with painting washes give huge payoff for the limited effort that they take. Want a grungy look? Just paint it with normal colors then put a black or brown wash over it and it looks pretty freaking amazing. Alot of people neglect that last critical step and it leaves their models looking pretty drab and boring. Washes also help to cover up all your little mistakes that you made along the way.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-16-2005 04:31:28 PM
Aye on the above. Inks/washes (same thing really) are so easy to apply and really bring the detail out. Top it off with a good drybrushing technique and crisp lines and you have the makings of a good painter.
Ragabash
Pancake
posted 12-16-2005 06:20:11 PM
Orks cause dey good at stompin!
Feed my hungry soul.
Peter
Pancake
posted 12-16-2005 08:16:21 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Naimah wrote:
...Want a grungy look? ....

On tanks, if you want to get a real quick worn in look, Base black, pick a color and mix either a really thinned down batch or 2 slightly different toned batches, grab a big ass brush, or get a cheap stencil brush and stipple the armor plates --If you are using the thinned down way you need to layer coats it a bit, takes longer, but it blends a bit more.--- the different tones and irregular brushing gives it a really beat up look. I have done this with my land raiders, the only thing more I did was the shade it with my airbrush a bit using Testors anthracite enamel. Additionally I would recommend inking the recesses and panel lines.

a few good links about pre and post shading, (need an airbrush though)

http://codyscoop.com/ht-3.html
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/postshadingjh_1.htm
http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=37
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/techmain.htm

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-17-2005 04:47:39 AM
quote:
Ragabash stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Orks cause dey good at stompin!

WAAAAAGH!

Sean
posted 12-17-2005 09:27:10 AM
quote:
Sakkra was listening to Cher while typing:
WAAAAAGH!

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!

I'm here ta fix yur gubbins.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Lashanna
noob
posted 12-17-2005 12:40:26 PM
The leading export of the WH40k universe is Quotes.
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 12-17-2005 01:47:27 PM
Tyranids were fun to play for me just from making an army list of really expensive units (Upgrading normal 'nids with biomorphs) then finding ways of showing their upgrades on the models by cannibalising parts from my older WH Undead army. I should take pictures, maybe later.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Sean
posted 12-17-2005 02:11:50 PM
quote:
Did they say why, Lashanna, why they want you to terminate my command?
The leading export of the WH40k universe is Quotes.

Pull da pin, throw da other part!

Don't hold onta dat end of it!

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-17-2005 03:36:57 PM
LET'S GET LOOTIN'!
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 12-19-2005 12:52:20 PM
quote:
So quoth Mortious:
I played Orcs. Eldar. Back when the game was good.

UH OH 3RD 4TH EDITION BASHING.

Zephyer Kyuukaze fucked around with this message on 12-19-2005 at 12:53 PM.

The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: