EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I want to try out WoW.
Mightion Defensor
posted 12-07-2005 10:06:44 PM
Ever since I cancelled my SOE Season Pass I've been reading up on World of Warcraft - reviews and such, and looked through the WoW site.

I've decided I want to try it out, and play the game that all the cool people play. Since I can't even get a job from a temp agency, I request that someone buy me a copy and a game card and send them to me. No, I'm not totally serious, but I do plan to try it out if/when I ever get another job.

I'd start a Human paladin (big shocker there), hopefully on a non-overcrowded PvE server to start out, hopefully one that has a few friendly ECers to talk to, and play with, though I'd try to live a twink-free life.

Is it really as good as people say? I trust framerate shouldn't be an issue since my box can/could run SWG and EQ2 quite adequately. Anything a veteran (of sorts) from EQ/EQ2/COH/COV/SWG would particularly like or should be aware of? (Aside from what I read in the reviews...)

Sean
posted 12-07-2005 10:08:03 PM
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Blackened
posted 12-07-2005 10:08:47 PM
Have you been living under a rock

on mars

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-07-2005 10:12:11 PM
Have fun being a faggot.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-07-2005 10:37:59 PM
Play a paladin only if you want to hate yourself in ways you never thought possible.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-07-2005 10:39:58 PM
Play EVE with all the cool (mature) people.

I haven't seen a single d00d there. Too complicated for short attention span kiddies, woohoo!

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 12-07-2005 11:20:30 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Naimah wrote:
Play a paladin only if you want to hate yourself in ways you never thought possible.

he is exactly right. I hate myself, i just play to hang out with my guildies.

Anakha fucked around with this message on 12-07-2005 at 11:21 PM.

"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Mightion Defensor
posted 12-08-2005 12:07:20 AM
So, what's wrong with WoW paladins?
Anakha
posted 12-08-2005 12:11:30 AM
Well, we are supposed to be the Melee oriented Hybrid of the Alliance, to balance out the Horde's Magic based hybrid. However, our melee is crap, the Seal and judge system is just annoying. YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER YOUR DPS. Our heals are inefficient and weak, and our talents trees are more screwed up than a Puerto Rican crack whore. And everyone else thinks you are incredibly over powered because you can make a bubble show up 12 secs every 5 minutes.
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
Lashanna
noob
posted 12-08-2005 12:15:27 AM
They become rather dull while soloing.

They're extremely good at surviving which can make them somewhat frustrating in PvP. It also means that a lot of people are able to play a paladin poorly and still get by, giving them a bad reputation.

To be honest, I feel the Paladin is a class with very few real issues right now other than the boredom and lack of control in solo play. In groups, they rarely act as a main healer unless you're geared or leveled past the targeted audience for the encounter (Example, I can mainheal Scholomance or Stratholme without TOO many problems). The same is true of tanking. When at the correct level for something, they do very well early on as support tanks, and later on do very well as Support Healers.

A well-played Paladin is an extremely powerful ally.

But yeah, most of the dismay is that Horde hates them because of the survivability and Alliance tends to dislike them because the nature of the class allows people to solo easily but suck in groups. Paladins dislike themselves often because soloing is so boring, and some people made paladins with illusions of a warrior who casts spells, and not a priest who wears armor and melees.

A lot of changes are also being made to Paladins coming up. I'm not very fond of them because I liked the class as it was, but the changes are still pretty positive.

[EDIT]

Anakha's opinions expressed above are what I refer to about illusions. Our melee isn't that good at all, but with a powerful two-hander, you can still put away some casters, and sheer survivability means you'll put away warriors if you play your cards right. The Talent trees are a bit mixed up but I still feel I can get the best talents for my purposes (maintaining my healing, tanking and damage). Those are getting adjusted next patch to where you're going to have to dedicate to one of the three more so than you do now (a change I don't like). The heals are decent enough, once you get the proper gear (most paladins have to skimp on INT until the end game, making their heals not that effective).

Lashanna fucked around with this message on 12-08-2005 at 12:21 AM.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 12-08-2005 12:16:11 AM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Robocop:
Play EVE with all the cool (mature) people.

I haven't seen a single d00d there. Too complicated for short attention span kiddies, woohoo!

I had someone say "d00d" to me once.

I enjoyed venting his pod to the cold, bleak vacuum of space. Mainly just because he didn't have any money to pay my goddamn ransom

Maradon!
posted 12-08-2005 12:35:45 AM
EVE is the new EC fad DOOD!
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-08-2005 01:17:29 AM
quote:
Anakha had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Well, we are supposed to be the Melee oriented Hybrid of the Alliance, to balance out the Horde's Magic based hybrid. However, our melee is crap, the Seal and judge system is just annoying. YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER YOUR DPS. Our heals are inefficient and weak, and our talents trees are more screwed up than a Puerto Rican crack whore. And everyone else thinks you are incredibly over powered because you can make a bubble show up 12 secs every 5 minutes.

Judgements are better next patch since they refresh every time you hit your target.

DPS control is getting a tad bit better next patch.

You're right on heals, but paladins shouldn't have too powerful heals due to the fact they're wearing a suit of super durable plate armor. Cleanse however, is the best debuff remover in the game.

PvP-wise, a smart paladin > smart shaman.

Oh, and Mighty, I'd hook you up with a trial account, but I don't have one. :/

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-08-2005 at 01:18 AM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-08-2005 01:21:25 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived Willias stammered:
Judgements are better next patch since they refresh every time you hit your target.

DPS control is getting a tad bit better next patch.

You're right on heals, but paladins shouldn't have too powerful heals due to the fact they're wearing a suit of super durable plate armor. Cleanse however, is the best debuff remover in the game.

PvP-wise, a smart paladin > smart shaman.

Oh, and Mighty, I'd hook you up with a trial account, but I don't have one. :/

We have a rank 14 paladin on Hellscream, he is one annoying fucker. We just his cracker ass every time we see him though, so he never gets too far.

Maradon!
posted 12-08-2005 01:47:56 AM
It's like that one funny guy said - paladins who actually heal and stun in PVP instead of trying to DPS makes horde cry.
Alaan
posted 12-08-2005 01:49:39 AM
I believe Fileplanet has a downloadable demo.
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-08-2005 01:55:38 AM
quote:
Alaan got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
I believe Fileplanet has a downloadable demo.

Indeed-y.

Just gotta register for a free Fileplanet account.

Note that you won't have access to any public chat channels while on a Trial account.

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-08-2005 at 01:58 AM.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-08-2005 02:02:47 AM
Finally, the only thing I think is completely wrong with Paladins is their talent trees.

They're so... bland. None of the talents in any tree actually push forward the paladin in a specific direction. They're only buffs to the class as a whole, so there really aren't any good 21/31 point abilities.

If Blizzard was smart, they'd fix up the talent trees so that Holy gives s decent amount of spell damage and improves the paladin's healing ability. The protection tree should improve the paladin's abilities to migitate, deflect, and take damage and help taunt, and the retribution tree should improve the paladin's melee ability.

None of the trees do exactly that though, and many of the later talents in each tree don't seem to be specialized in any way. Protection tree should get some decent defensive ability at the bottom, Holy Tree should get a good healing ability, and Retribution should get a special attack. Blizzard doesn't seem to want to do this though, and it makes the paladin's talents kinda fugly.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2005 02:05:04 AM
Most of the talent trees have gone to shit.

The Mage, Rogue and Shaman trees were okay. The Druid and Hunter ones got really good. Warlocks and Warriors got a half-assed glance-over. Everyone else's sucks.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-08-2005 02:12:07 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Most of the talent trees have gone to shit.

The Mage, Rogue and Shaman trees were okay. The Druid and Hunter ones got really good. Warlocks and Warriors got a half-assed glance-over. Everyone else's sucks.

Priest talents aren't actually that bad. Shadow spec has a ton of good talents, Discipline has a few really nice ones. It's Holy spec that sucks ass.

Paladin talents aren't bad, but you never really specialize your character with them like you do other classes.

Warrior talents need to be fixed in a way that removes the Improved Overpower (OH GOD THE PAIN) and vastly improves the Defensive tree so that it isn't pointless.

Warlocks... eh. Dunno there.

Shamans are pretty good, their restoration and elemental trees need some touching up. Much like the paladin trees, all 3 shaman trees need better 31 point talents.

Rogue trees are pretty much fine as is, except there are a few talents that could be replaced with things that are actually interesting.

Druid talents rock now.

Hunter talents rock too.

Mage talents are pretty good.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2005 02:13:53 AM
I define having only one viable talent tree as being shit.
Maradon!
posted 12-08-2005 02:15:29 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Willias who doth quote:
If Blizzard was smart, they'd fix up the talent trees so that Holy gives s decent amount of spell damage and improves the paladin's healing ability. The protection tree should improve the paladin's abilities to migitate, deflect, and take damage and help taunt, and the retribution tree should improve the paladin's melee ability.

The problem is that paladins aren't tanks, shouldn't be tanks, and will never be tanks. Just like a druid isn't a rogue, shouldn't be a rogue, and will never be a rogue.

Instead of talent trees that turn them into a different class, they have a tree for soloing, a tree for raiding, and a tree for pvp, with considerable overlap between the three roles. Just like everyone else.

Talent trees aren't intended to enable one class to function as another, they're intended to make you better at different aspects of what your class already does.

Willias
Pancake
posted 12-08-2005 02:23:32 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Duck Tales:
I define having only one viable talent tree as being shit.

Discipline isn't THAT bad. Holy is really shitty though.

And Maradon, I didn't mean taking the paladin and turning him/her into another class. Just as how Druid talent trees help the druid specialize in different abilities, the paladin trees should be the same way. Feral tree greatly improves cat and bear form. Balance greatly improves the druid's spell damage abilities. Restoration greatly improves the druid's healing abilties.

It'd be nice to see the paladin trees do the same kinda things.

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-08-2005 at 02:24 AM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2005 02:26:47 AM
If one talent tree is hugely better than the others, then that's the only viable talent tree (ie: shadow, arms, etc).
Mightion Defensor
posted 12-08-2005 02:41:23 AM
Hmmm... not taking the skill trees into account, and considering it only from a PvE perspective, paladins in WoW don't sound all that different (in terms of strengths and weaknesses) than EQ1 paladins.

Besides, the big ol' shiny knight in armor is my preferred character type. Which is why I was paladin in every fantasy game since EQ1, a tanker in CoH, was aiming for master defender in SWG as a Jedi... etc.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-08-2005 03:24:00 AM
quote:
How.... Maradon!.... uughhhhhh:
EVE is the new EC fad DOOD!

Yeah, it is fun, and does not have any Orcs, Paladins, or dragons.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2005 03:29:21 AM
Paladins can range from a total joke to a pain in the ass to fight.

A Paladin that tries to do DPS, heals himself or tries to tank is a laughing stock and not really something worthy of attention.

A Paladin that plays defensively, heals his comrades and keeps himself alive is a jerk. The Paladin's main power lies in the fact that, almost quite literally, he cannot be killed unless he wants to be.

Fortunately, most Paladins are idiots, like you.

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 12-08-2005 03:47:19 AM
quote:
Mightion Defensor had this to say about Cuba:
Hmmm... not taking the skill trees into account, and considering it only from a PvE perspective, paladins in WoW don't sound all that different (in terms of strengths and weaknesses) than EQ1 paladins.

Besides, the big ol' shiny knight in armor is my preferred character type. Which is why I was paladin in every fantasy game since EQ1, a tanker in CoH, was aiming for master defender in SWG as a Jedi... etc.

Ironically enough, you won't even look like a shiny knight in armor until you're in your late 50's.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 12-08-2005 04:12:30 AM
Fighting paladins is a war of attriction as a druid. Christ. We wear each other's mana down for like 15 minutes and eventually innervate wins the battle. Better to just run away than wait for an Alliance rogue to come running up and gank you during your stupid fight.

Parcelan is right, though, paladins in this game are not tanks. They are not DPS. They're a support class with a sword. They heal. They bless. They refuse to die.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 12-08-2005 06:16:09 AM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Mr. Parcelan said:
Paladins can range from a total joke to a pain in the ass to fight.

A Paladin that tries to do DPS, heals himself or tries to tank is a laughing stock and not really something worthy of attention.

A Paladin that plays defensively, heals his comrades and keeps himself alive is a jerk. The Paladin's main power lies in the fact that, almost quite literally, he cannot be killed unless he wants to be.

Fortunately, most Paladins are idiots, like you.

Parce pretty much nailed it here. Nothing makes me giggle more than some stupid paladin that runs into 10 horde and lays down Consecrate. At best he makes people move 5 feet to the side, at worst people ignore the piddly 48 per second damage and beat the crap out of him.

It's the paladins that stand back and heal the warriors that send me into a screaming rage. Thankfully my mage can usually find them pretty quick and lock them down for a little while... (getting counterspelled during a heal means a paladin can't do ANYTHING except swing his weapon for 10 seconds)

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Anakha
posted 12-08-2005 01:17:30 PM
I usually play the group healer in PvP, and it works pretty well. I know how much the horde hates it when i pop blessing of protection on a mages when hes surrounded by nothing but Wars and Rogues. I just don't really like being forced into that role.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-08-2005 01:21:23 PM
Too fucking bad.

You either play your role or fail at some other role.

Tier
posted 12-09-2005 04:00:13 AM
Contrarily to popular belief, the Holy tree isn't useless. There are some pointless talents in it (Holy Fire/Holy Nova/Divine Fury/Spirit of Redemption), but the rest is very good at what it's supposed to do -- enhance your healing efficiency. A priest with a smart mix of Discipline or Holy will last nearly twice as long through a boss fight than a Shadow priest with the same gear. Even the great Shadow tree, which is supposedly infinitely superior in PvP, isn't an essential. I can hold my own in PVP, and even get a few kills if I put my heart to it rather than healing.

However, it's true that Shadow is an absolute must for levelling solo or even grouped.

Redmage Darkrayver
Moron
posted 12-10-2005 06:53:13 PM
If you start on Bloodhoof, lemme know. I'll put you in PoA and get you a hand with equipment.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: