EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Reviewer disagreements?
Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 12-06-2005 03:23:32 PM
Has there been a game that got horrible reviews everywhere you looked, but that you found despite it all to be loads of fun?
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-06-2005 03:39:58 PM
All the time.

The only reviews I even trust anymore are X-Play's and Judgement Day's. And it's more for the fact that I can see the game being played rather than just look at screenshots or take the reviewer's word for it. I still don't always agree with them.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Alaan
posted 12-06-2005 03:43:06 PM
Judgement Day occasionally has some serious ratings though. I've heard the dumb one go(paraphrased): Well, I hate <genre> and obv. everyone else must, so I give it a 5/10.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-06-2005 03:46:34 PM
Which is why I said it's mostly for the visuals of actually seeing the game played.

Judgement Day is good, though, because it has two people who generally like completely different stuff giving their views on the same game, so you're not just getting fanboy reviews or hater reviews.

Densetsu fucked around with this message on 12-06-2005 at 03:47 PM.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Sean
posted 12-06-2005 03:47:22 PM
Well, Tommy Tallarico has no business on a review show to begin with, so there's most of your problem.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Akiraiu Zenko
Is actually a giddy schoolgirl
posted 12-06-2005 03:52:39 PM
I've recently gotten my hands on a PSP game called Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory, and a PC game called Restricted Area, and they got horrible reviews, the both of them...but I think they're both great fun!
The artist formerly known as Zephyer Kyuukaze.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 12-06-2005 03:55:46 PM
One of the problems with game reviews is that many reviewers use a percentage rating system which is very vague. If a game recieves, for example, 60%, it sounds like the reviewer thinks it's a terrible game. But in reality, that score would mean the game is of average quality.

The only scores of that sort you can rely on are at the extreme ends of the scale. If a game recieves a score of, say, 18% or 95%, there's a very good chance that it really is a bad or good game, respectively.

Furthermore, there are few media outlets which could be dependable in any case. Local media, like newspapers and TV stations, typically have an amateur journalist who may play games only infrequently working on their reviews; that's not really an informed opinion.

Many magazines and internet sources recieve funding from game advertisements, leading the reader to question whether a certain score is based on financial obligation to an advertiser.

Finally, reviewer and reader bias plays a huge factor. If you get someone who hates racing games to review Gran Turismo, he's going to give it a low or mediocre score which a player who likes racers won't agree with. Conversely, if a total MGS fanboy reviews MGS4 when it comes along, he'll likely gloss over its flaws and give it a score higher than it may deserve. The players will then, of course, find it flawed, preventing the game from living up to their expectations. And that doesn't even cover people who may buy games from a genre they don't like just because it got a good score.

Never accept a review, especially a video game review, as the word of god. Consider the opinions of both you and the reviewer on the genre and franchise, and don't trust any outlet which gives high ratings to the vast majority of the games it covers.

EDIT: Profredding.

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 12-06-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-06-2005 04:08:18 PM
That's why I like the way the site I am with now reviews games -- we pretty much say 'fuck numbers'.

We don't use a number score at all. Numbers suck and a percentage cannot describe a game. We simply have a nice block of text broken up by pictures of the game.

Also, many sites have video reviews now and free videos of the game you can watch -- no excuse to have to watch a crappy show to see the game in action.

And Zephy: reviews are humans, just like you and dens and alaan. They may not like a game that you love while you may hate a game they love. That doesn't make em stupid or wrong -- reviews are just an opinion. In the end, you have to formulate your own opinion about something.

Sentow hit on it best, though: a 6 generally doesn't mean "this game sucks". It means that is is average and quite possibly fun to play. a high score means it iether appeals to a wider audience or is something that is just absofuckinglutely awesome. Or, is supposed to.

But like I started with -- that's why numbers suck in reviews. As for the funding thing: yes, game companies do advertise on media sites. Thing is, the reviewers are not the ones that take care of the ads -- those are generally two separate departments that don't discuss shit. While it may be percieved as the buying of a good review, it is nothing more than ads that are sold to a captive audience. If you notice, most any magazine you read has ads tailored to its audience -- same way with a game website.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 12-06-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 12-06-2005 04:21:04 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr attempted to be funny by writing:

Also, many sites have video reviews now and free videos of the game you can watch -- no excuse to have to watch a crappy show to see the game in action.

Sure there is. It's called dial-up. You don't have to bring your biases against Adam Sessler into it.

And Zephy: reviews are humans, just like you and dens and alaan. They may not like a game that you love while you may hate a game they love. That doesn't make em stupid or wrong -- reviews are just an opinion. In the end, you have to formulate your own opinion about something.

I don't think anyone said anything like that, either.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-06-2005 07:54:33 PM
Judgment Day is great so long as you just listen to Victor Lucas.

Tommy Tallarico tries too hard to be the bull-headed gamer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-06-2005 08:15:13 PM
Number schemes are useful in ratings, but anyone who goes strictly by the numbers is pretty much an idiot. They allow a game to be ranked among others of its genre, which is quite useful. On the other hand, one must actually read the review to determine whether the game is something one would enjoy.

I rarely enjoy games that receive low ratings, simply because games earn low ratings due to serious flaws, and I am not willing to play through or around serious flaws simply because one aspect of a game succeeds.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 12-07-2005 04:38:31 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Robocop:
Tommy Tallarico tries too hard to be the bull-headed gamer.

It would be a great RPG if it wasn't for all this story getting in the way. Also, magic? What's up with that.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-07-2005 04:47:01 PM
I usually tend to agree with Victor on games.

I loved it when he and Tommy disagreed about the sequel to what was it, Dead to Rights? Tommy loved it just because it was a sequel to one of his favorite games and Victor flat out stated it was ass.

Was just amusing.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 12-07-2005 04:49:19 PM
Thanks for the assumption, Dens!

1) I could give a shit less who is doing X-Play. Get rid of Adam Sessler and I'd still think it sucks. But hey, way to go on bringing up something completely unrelated in an attempt to make my statement meaningless! You could throw two naked women on the show and show them having sex for 30 minutes straight with video games in the background and I still wouldn't watch it. Well, I might then, but that's because it wouldn't really be X-Play anymore.

I still think it is a crappy show. I don't like the idea of reviews on TV -- I'm of the opinion that you can't get nearly as much out there in a TV review as you could in a 5-minute video review accompanied by text. And if you're on dial-up? I can understand it somewhat then. Even then, however, I'd be willing to bet that a large majority of people have some sort of broadband access, be it at home, at a friend's house or at some sort of public computer.

2) No, noone said they were stupid -- the text used, however, implies that they are thought of as wrong. Why else would Zephy say that the review was horrible but the game was good? Obviously, it isn't because he feels the review was right.

But fuck, I am just saying this because I think Adam Sessler is a dick

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 12-07-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-07-2005 05:07:17 PM
X-Play rules. If you disagree, you are a Nazi...or a Jew.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: