EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What MMORPG should I play?
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-02-2005 06:43:33 AM
SWG is going down the drain and I'll most likely cancel after Christmas. Half the servers are empty, it's crashing and burning. The most profitable brand name in history was messed up by devs who apparently have never watched the movies. Thx 2 u SOE, gg.

So anyway, looking for a new MMORPG. WoW.. eh.. heard there are a lot of fucktards there, though the servers are nicely populated. I don't know very much about the Warcraft lore/storyline though. CoV.. meh.. no. EVE Online.. too old.. too hard to get in to.

I guess it's WoW or wait for the Star Trek MMORPG and hope that doesn't get fucked up by shitty devs too. Bleh.

Peter
Pancake
posted 12-02-2005 06:57:44 AM
I would say WoW or give EQ2 a try if you haven't yet.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 12-02-2005 07:04:29 AM
Well, if you do not want to try Eve Online, go for WoW.

It really is as good as most people say.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-02-2005 10:02:09 AM
quote:
Tarquinn said:
Well, if you do not want to try Eve Online, go for WoW.

It really is as good as most people say.

I played the beta and it was pretty fun. I liked being undead. But I was deep in SWG at the time (when it was still fun) so I didn't give it a chance.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-02-2005 10:04:02 AM
WoW is your best bet, I got several solid months of enjoyment out of it.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 12-02-2005 10:08:08 AM
Thirding WoW. It's not really much different than EQ2, but it's alot more popular and the game world moves alot quicker.
Timpofee
Mancake
posted 12-02-2005 10:55:25 AM
I saw Wow till DnD online comes out.
Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 12-02-2005 11:01:16 AM
WoW really is a great game Mort, it's just that there are sometimes people who will be online who sour the experience. There are also the good pick up groups that you get that make the game that much more enjoyable.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-02-2005 11:29:54 AM
I find EQ2 highly enjoyable, although you aren't going to be 60 in two months there.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

MadCat the 2nd
Pancake
posted 12-02-2005 11:40:46 AM
I vote for EVE -- it's not all -that- hard to get established Mort, especially not if you hook up with some people that can jumpstart your evil mastermind career.

So come join the EVE fun, I've got some free ISK for ya

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

ben(at)netmastering(dot)nl

Tarquinn
posted 12-02-2005 11:43:00 AM
Also, I'd like to recommend starting on a RP server. People tend to be a little bit more mature there. In my experience at least.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-02-2005 11:54:24 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Tarquinn absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Also, I'd like to recommend starting on a RP server. People tend to be a little bit more mature there. In my experience at least.

Seconded. I was on an RP server, and outside the newbie zones, I had few problems.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 12-02-2005 12:26:51 PM
quote:
Timpofee had this to say about Knight Rider:
I saw Wow till DnD online comes out.

To put a bit of a perspective spin on it, DDO is most likely going to be somewhat akin to Guild Wars (except PvE-based rather than PvP) due to the heavy instancing and single hub city. I personally associate MMOGs with worlds rather than an MM city and group-only adventures. That's just like an enhanced PSO Not saying it won't be good, but I wouldn't put it in the same catagory as SWG or WoW.

Personally I'm playing the MMO called life and dabbling a month here and there in games I own while focusing more on console stuff for now.

Cobalt Katze fucked around with this message on 12-02-2005 at 12:27 PM.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-02-2005 12:35:02 PM
quote:
MadCat the 2nd said:
I vote for EVE -- it's not all -that- hard to get established Mort, especially not if you hook up with some people that can jumpstart your evil mastermind career.

So come join the EVE fun, I've got some free ISK for ya

I'll think about it if you give me a fully loaded Imperial Dreadnaught.

Also, no, no EQ2. I'm not touching another SOE product ever again. Every single thing they do is about money money money and they could care less about the customers.

Razor
posted 12-02-2005 12:47:49 PM
Mort, if you want a WoW guest pass key, Send me a PM and I'll send it over to ya.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 12-02-2005 12:52:38 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Razor:
Mort, if you want a WoW guest pass key, Send me a PM and I'll send it over to ya.

He's already had a more generous offer.

It's CHRSITMAS, and all you offer is a guest pass?

SCROOGE!

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 12-02-2005 01:24:28 PM
Just out of curiosity Mort, what do you think is wrong with SWG right now? I haven't followed it, but I figure it might give us a clue as for what not to do.
hey
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-02-2005 02:49:02 PM
quote:
Jensus said:
Just out of curiosity Mort, what do you think is wrong with SWG right now? I haven't followed it, but I figure it might give us a clue as for what not to do.

They dumbed it down to child level. I enjoyed the fact it was so complicated, but now a chimp could play it.

Well, a chimp could play it for 20 minutes before realising there's no content and all of the dungeons are buggy as crap then log out.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 12-02-2005 02:56:04 PM
quote:
So quoth Jensus:

They took everything that was good about the game and replaced it with some of the dumbest shit imaginable.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Tarquinn
posted 12-02-2005 02:57:23 PM
Wow, glad I did not return...
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 12-02-2005 02:58:20 PM
quote:
Mortious wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
They dumbed it down to child level. I enjoyed the fact it was so complicated, but now a chimp could play it.

Well, a chimp could play it for 20 minutes before realising there's no content and all of the dungeons are buggy as crap then log out.

quote:
JooJooFlop attempted to be funny by writing:
They took everything that was good about the game and replaced it with some of the dumbest shit imaginable.

Man... I'm glad I didn't even bother trying it again after the whole second revamp, sigh there goes another game.

My vote is for WoW if anything, it kept me entertained for a three whole months until I got burned out from it. That is saying alot since I have the attention span of a retarded doped up ritalin test monkey.

That or UO

New Age Bane fucked around with this message on 12-02-2005 at 02:59 PM.

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 12-02-2005 03:53:34 PM
Well, I alreay play wow, and i used to play eve, I kinda miss eve... I kinda miss AO too but i know if i play AO ill hate it again. Anyways, i didnt know any ecers played eve or id have gone back to it a while ago. Probably download it after work, but i agree with mort is quite dead and is moderately fun when theres people on.
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-02-2005 04:05:01 PM
For me, World of Warcraft has the same magical spark that the original EverQuest had, but with better PvP and quests, and faster gameplay.

It's not as complex in some degrees as the original EQ, but it's a bit better because of it.

I've played it for a year now and I'm still not bored. I'm actually falling in love with it all over again now that I'm getting my second character (Alliance side, gnome rogue) to 60.

Willias fucked around with this message on 12-02-2005 at 04:05 PM.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-02-2005 04:45:27 PM
Play DAoC!

I need someone to group with cos no one wants to play with thanes

By the way, what did they do to SWG? Last I heard, they made it more like a regular shooter, and some people on this board were actually raving about it. I would go look it up on the boards myself, but I am on a really bad dialup at the moment

Led fucked around with this message on 12-02-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 12-02-2005 04:59:53 PM
quote:
Led had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Play DAoC!

I need someone to group with cos no one wants to play with thanes

By the way, what did they do to SWG? Last I heard, they made it more like a regular shooter, and some people on this board were actually raving about it. I would go look it up on the boards myself, but I am on a really bad dialup at the moment

wut server??

I still play MID on Iseult and Lancelot... and Tristan when it's not acting all screwy...

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Kinanik
Upset about being titless
posted 12-02-2005 05:22:34 PM
WoW until Star Trek comes out in '07
Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination
Addy
posted 12-02-2005 07:09:31 PM
If you do go with WoW, I suggest starting out on a newer server. The PVP servers are generally balanced when it comes to alliance vs. horde (save for Mal'Ganis and maybe select others). The RPPvP servers seem to have a decent, relatively more mature crowd, but I highly suggest going horde if you choose one of those. >_< Since you liked undead you should be fine ;p Even if people don't RP, the crowd itself is generally better from what I've seen. You get the most kiddies on the PVE servers.

Honestly though, the best part about RPPvP servers is you get to kill the night elves that cyber in the Tram.

Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 12-02-2005 07:16:12 PM
Since Kavol is quitting SWG I probably will too. It's just not fun anymore...

Heavily leaning towards Anarchy Online (I want to see the so called "player cities" in the game), though I may just go EO or DAoC...

Tarquinn
posted 12-02-2005 07:16:57 PM
As we are talking about next gen MMORPGs, don't forget Warhammer Online.
Reborn, and better. I hope.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-02-2005 07:57:33 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Kaiote!
wut server??

I still play MID on Iseult and Lancelot... and Tristan when it's not acting all screwy...

I play on the new Gareth classic server ^-^ Ish much better without all that ToA trash!

Dave
)_(
posted 12-02-2005 08:23:41 PM
I play wow these days. I mostly just play in the battle grounds too. CTF in wsg is very very fun. The game gives you many differnt play style options that is unmatched by any other mmo right now.
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-02-2005 08:38:35 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Addy stammered:
If you do go with WoW, I suggest starting out on a newer server. The PVP servers are generally balanced when it comes to alliance vs. horde (save for Mal'Ganis and maybe select others). The RPPvP servers seem to have a decent, relatively more mature crowd, but I highly suggest going horde if you choose one of those. >_< Since you liked undead you should be fine ;p Even if people don't RP, the crowd itself is generally better from what I've seen. You get the most kiddies on the PVE servers.

Honestly though, the best part about RPPvP servers is you get to kill the night elves that cyber in the Tram.

You get the most kiddies on the PvP servers. Or at least the most assholes.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-02-2005 09:00:06 PM
If you play WoW.

Horde good, Alliance bad. Horde good, Alliance bad. HORDE GOOD, ALLIANCE BAD!

Maradon!
posted 12-03-2005 12:35:04 AM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Dave booooze lime pole over bench lick:
I play wow these days. I mostly just play in the battle grounds too. CTF in wsg is very very fun. The game gives you many differnt play style options that is unmatched by any other mmo right now.

Very very fun until you stalemate and both flag carriers hide in their respective bases surrounded by healers.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 12-03-2005 03:07:00 AM
WoW's good stuff. Roll Horde on Uther for free twinkage. Roll Horde on Zul'jin for EC'ers. Roll Alliance on Elune or Alleria for other EC'ers. It's a fun game, just expect to have to be patient with it since Blizzard is a bit slow about content.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Dave
)_(
posted 12-03-2005 03:13:57 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Duck Tales:
Very very fun until you stalemate and both flag carriers hide in their respective bases surrounded by healers.

Funny what happens when people ignore a hunter pet that does 40 dps at level 38 I prefer close games and stalemates rather than druids just caping flags with little or no problem.

Dave fucked around with this message on 12-03-2005 at 03:14 AM.

SunGryphon
Nub nub nu...THWACK!
posted 12-03-2005 03:14:32 AM
Come play with me in CoV.
Nub, nub me do.
~+~+~
Nub... nub... nub!
Nub is all doo need!
Kennatsu
hu�mor 1. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
posted 12-03-2005 03:38:32 AM
I'm tempted to try out a game called Vendetta Online. Has anyone tried it out yet?
Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 12-03-2005 06:17:32 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by SunGryphon:

Still with Cape Radio Kila?

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 12-03-2005 08:23:11 AM
quote:
SunGryphon said:

I would.. I really would.. but I played beta and it bored me to tears.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: