EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: *Camps paycheck*
Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 05:17:49 PM
Best part about a government job is that you get paid the exact same time every month. Worst part is... you get paid the exact same time every month!

So I am sitting here, dinking around the house until my $$$ posts and I can go do something *boredboredbored* I canna play DAoC either until I get paid, because I spent too much money on christmas shopping and forgot to save a bit whoops!

Time to spread some holiday cheer! So... whatchall up to?
*Sets out christmas-themed snacks and beartraps, and puts lil antlers on the bunnyrabbits*

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 11-30-2005 05:22:49 PM
Eating chips and soda while considering playing WoW.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 11-30-2005 05:35:45 PM
Putting off studying for my Intro Calc final and my final CompSci assignment while flinging a little shit. Considering going back to WoW.
Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 11-30-2005 05:40:34 PM
Moving the hose-attatched sprinkler around the front and back yard every now and then and filling out a Schwab Inherited IRA form while waiting for the mail to come in.

Afterwards I think I'll play some WoW or, when people get off work and such, call around to get something going to relieve the boredom. I think there's clothes in the dryer that i need to put away too. Actually, they were in the washer still from last night.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-30-2005 05:41:14 PM
Playing games and contemplating working out. The shower room is fucking cold though, we're talking invert-your-penis cold.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-30-2005 05:48:38 PM
Had movers in the house all day today packing and loading our primary shipment to France. Was incredibly stressful after the complete drama yesterday when they showed up to pack and then refused to work when they saw the dog. We'll see in February, but it seems they did a pretty good job.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 11-30-2005 05:57:01 PM
I'm sitting in front of a computer waiting till i get the chance to go to Programming Fundamentals I, or as i like to call it "How to code a program is not important, how to design a program is"
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 11-30-2005 06:03:36 PM
quote:
Anakha was naked while typing this:
I'm sitting in front of a computer waiting till i get the chance to go to Programming Fundamentals I, or as i like to call it "How to code a program is not important, how to design a program is"

...But it's true. The specifics of how you code a program depend upon the language in which you attempt to create it. The overall design of the program remains constant. If you make a program to do a certain thing, you can translate it into as many different programming languages as you like, and still get it to do almost exactly the same thing.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
--8-Bit Theater
Anakha
posted 11-30-2005 06:07:42 PM
Well, yes, but ive been designing and coding programs for 3 years, and the professor(read adjunct) spends so much time teaching Psuedocode, that almost half the class knows nothing of how to code. I have been teaching them things, because he doesn't really explain the coding aspect at all.
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 11-30-2005 06:10:36 PM
quote:
Anakha stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Well, yes, but ive been designing and coding programs for 3 years, and the professor(read adjunct) spends so much time teaching Psuedocode, that almost half the class knows nothing of how to code. I have been teaching them things, because he doesn't really explain the coding aspect at all.

Then he is not explaining the psuedo code correctly. Professors are supposed to start by teaching the logic.

The logic is the hard part, memorizing syntax is easy.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 11-30-2005 06:41:26 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Reynar stammered:
Then he is not explaining the psuedo code correctly. Professors are supposed to start by teaching the logic.

The logic is the hard part, memorizing syntax is easy.

Actually, it seems Anakha was saying that the prof teaches the logic behind the programs almost exclusively, without getting into the syntax at all.

Anakha, the prof shouldn't need to get into syntax, in my opinion. You likely have a textbook, or at least a list of recommended readings, in the course syllabus. There's probably lots about the syntax of specific languages in those. If not, it isn't too hard to find tutorials for a number of programming languages on the Internet. Despite what I've said about reliability of Internet sources, these tutorials can't really mislead you on much; you'd notice if something just doesn't seem to be working right.

The pseudocode is the hardest part of the program. Once you have that, translating it into code is all too easy. In my current assignment, the CS profs haven't given us any pseudocode at all to get us started. They've given us parts of a Java application class, parts of the worker class used, and what the final output is supposed to look like. The main part of the assignment isn't going to be writing the Java code itself, it's going to be working out the pseudocode. Trouble is, the prof has unfortunately spent quite a bit of time on the syntax of Java, which I could just as easily have found in my textbook. Because of that, my text has gone completely unused.

--8-Bit Theater
Anakha
posted 11-30-2005 06:43:22 PM
Ahh, i guess i just have the bad habit of sitting down and coding what i need.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 06:45:18 PM
Quit it with the codegeekiness in my holiday cheer thread before I attempt to give you an IV in your forehead

Next question!

Favorite holiday drinks?

Anakha
posted 11-30-2005 06:47:55 PM
Southern Cumfort Eggnog

im just kidding, that stuff was digusting, although i don't mind the occasional hot toddy on a cold christmas day.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 11-30-2005 06:57:32 PM
quote:
Anakha said this about your mom:
Southern Cumfort Eggnog

im just kidding, that stuff was digusting

I'd imagine so!

My favourite drink? Probably whole milk. Mmmm...

--8-Bit Theater
MadCat the 2nd
Pancake
posted 11-30-2005 08:05:43 PM
Currently I'm geeking out (Led, get away from me with the pointy objects) doing up a new hosting website... eyeballing my bank account to see if I got some insurance money yet so i can go and purchase my newish car (for those who want to know, and if you don't, tough: a 1987 Thunderbird)

Uhh.. drinking vodka 'n OJ right now too. Stuff's good *hic*

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

ben(at)netmastering(dot)nl

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-30-2005 08:11:25 PM
quote:
Led obviously shouldn't have said:
Favorite holiday drinks?

Scotch...Well and fresh Cider, only time a year the stores here decide to carry it.

Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-30-2005 08:42:04 PM
Uhm. Mountain Dew? Cherry Coke, Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper, or Vanilla Pepsi are all good, too.

And I'm fixing to go solo Onyxia in WoW with my Shadow Priest.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 08:50:02 PM
*Spikes Bajah's mountaindew*

My favorite holiday drink of all time is a tie between hot chocolate and hot spiced cider. Especially the cider that comes in MREs, that stuff is awsome! Except for some reason all of the ones I got never had the cider OR the iced tea in them *grumble grumble*

And as for drinky drinks... I usually just have what my friends are having which usually works okie-dokie, cos they have the same tastes I do 'Cept I get drunk a whole lot faster And by the next morning I can never remember what I had... or why I woke up on the floor outside the door to my room But that is a different story for another time!

WTF never play poker shots (have to take a drink if you lose a hand) if you suck at poker

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-30-2005 08:54:55 PM
Lets see...

I'm just sitting here camping my paycheck as well, and contemplating getting online and knocking out a few rate courses.

And favorite drink at the moment is apple cider. I think I'll bring some to my command potluck.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-30-2005 09:10:22 PM
Wine. I love it.

Go away.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 09:27:17 PM
quote:
From the book of Mr. Parcelan, chapter 3, verse 16:
Wine. I love it.

Go away.

*Straps antlers to the prarie dog* :3

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 11-30-2005 09:28:12 PM
<camps the Led camping Paycheck spawn point> ^.^
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 11-30-2005 09:54:51 PM
quote:
Katrinity had this to say about the Spice Girls:
<camps the Led camping Paycheck spawn point> ^.^

Clear your PM box imo.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 09:59:18 PM
*Sets up tents and BBQ* Hey, remember that old BBQ Katrinity picture I drew waaaaaaaay back in the day?

*chomp!*

Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 11-30-2005 10:18:26 PM
I'm camping my paycheck too... unfortuanetly, it won't spawn until at least Tuesday, which leaves me the grand total of $65 until that time..
Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-01-2005 03:15:55 AM
Paycheck spawns!

Paycheck is extremely frickin tiny? !?

Does your pay get reduced while you are on leave or something?

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-01-2005 03:37:37 AM
HOLY FREAKING CRAP!#% They blasted me with the full meal deduction for the whole month even though I have only actually been at my assigned unit for TWO WEEKS!#% The meal deduction at airborne school was like $166 bucks, and I was paid $166 extra to cover the cost of it anyways, so it was pretty much zero...

Here it is FOUR HUNDRED FOURTY SEVEN DOLLARS straight outta my paycheck!#% And the food sucks!

*Has acute cardiac arrest and dies on the spot*

Edit: Wait... I think I know what it is. I was on two different bases in november, they musta charged me the full meal deal for both at the same time. Fuck! I aint gonna be able to go snowboarding at all this month like I planned

Led fucked around with this message on 12-01-2005 at 03:39 AM.

Azakias
posted 12-01-2005 11:00:34 AM
quote:
Led had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
HOLY FREAKING CRAP!#% They blasted me with the full meal deduction for the whole month even though I have only actually been at my assigned unit for TWO WEEKS!#% The meal deduction at airborne school was like $166 bucks, and I was paid $166 extra to cover the cost of it anyways, so it was pretty much zero...

Here it is FOUR HUNDRED FOURTY SEVEN DOLLARS straight outta my paycheck!#% And the food sucks!

*Has acute cardiac arrest and dies on the spot*

Edit: Wait... I think I know what it is. I was on two different bases in november, they musta charged me the full meal deal for both at the same time. Fuck! I aint gonna be able to go snowboarding at all this month like I planned

Get your supervisor or a gunny (or some other E-7 and up wh will give a shit for you) and go to dispersing. I'm pretty sure that they arent supposed to pull that much cash from your check just for being on 2 different bases.

PSD has a habit of fucking up over here, and I doubt that we're the only one.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Azakias
posted 12-01-2005 11:05:36 AM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Duck Tales:
Get your supervisor or a gunny (or some other E-7 and up wh will give a shit for you) and go to dispersing. I'm pretty sure that they arent supposed to pull that much cash from your check just for being on 2 different bases.

PSD has a habit of fucking up over here, and I doubt that we're the only one.

Another thing. If its possible, go ahead and try to get COMRATs.

An extra 200 in your pocket per month is nice. But if you are deployable or deployed, they may not let you.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-01-2005 04:11:03 PM
Serves you right, white devil.
Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-01-2005 06:00:03 PM
What is a COMRAT?

Also, after some further digging, it seems that they did not withdraw my meal deduction from october, so I just got slammed with octobers and novembers this month. Crap!

Oh well, at least my pay on the 15th will be normal I hope.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 12-01-2005 06:27:10 PM
Commuted Rations...Food you buy off base.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 12-01-2005 06:46:51 PM
Am at work, fucked up on painkillers, nursing an abcess tooth thats letting the abcess wrap itself around my jaw.. praying that the antibiotics work before I run out of Darvocet...

AND.. get to go home tonight, reformat and reinstall on my desktop, then reformat and reinstall on my laptop, which has no CDrom, so I get to try and drivemap to the desktop CDROM, while enjoying the head floaty goodness of darvocet... and maybe Ouzo... they blend well.. and the licorice taste of the Ouzo kills the asstastic flavor of the penicillin..

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Azakias
posted 12-02-2005 10:14:13 AM
quote:
Led stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
What is a COMRAT?

Also, after some further digging, it seems that they did not withdraw my meal deduction from october, so I just got slammed with octobers and novembers this month. Crap!

Oh well, at least my pay on the 15th will be normal I hope.

Commuted rations give you about $225 a month. In excchange, you cant use the galley for free anymore, etc etc. If you can cook or at least come close to something edible, its your better option. Whatever is left over is pocket change.

If the military will pay me to do something that they otherwise provide, I usually opt to do it myself. Cheaper that way.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-02-2005 04:52:48 PM
Ohhh. I think I know what you are talking about, I overheard a group of people talking about it a few weeks ago.

I doubt I could get it though, since I am only an E-2

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 12-02-2005 08:26:47 PM
Me? Bourbon. I cannot thank Bloodsage enough for recommending Blanton's. I think I'll go pour myself a snootful now!
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-02-2005 08:30:44 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Karnaj absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Me? Bourbon. I cannot thank Bloodsage enough for recommending Blanton's. I think I'll go pour myself a snootful now!

You're welcome!

Come visit me in Paris next year, and we'll get toasted!

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Azakias
posted 12-02-2005 10:58:12 PM
quote:
Azakias probably says this to all the girls:
Commuted rations give you about $225 a month. In excchange, you cant use the galley for free anymore, etc etc. If you can cook or at least come close to something edible, its your better option. Whatever is left over is pocket change.

If the military will pay me to do something that they otherwise provide, I usually opt to do it myself. Cheaper that way.

Depends on your command. Mine awards it to anyone who runs a request chit.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: