EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: EQ2 'SOGA' Models.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 11-30-2005 09:24:36 AM
After seeing today's /GU comic, I figured I'd look up the new SOGA models just to see what the fuss is about. These are images of the models on the beta server. I don't know what SOGA stands for/is.

http://www.eq2arcanum.com/gallery/View.php?g=3

Honestly, I think they look more cartoony and less 'realistic', but also they look like they've got more life in them. The new models seem less like moving plastic figures (The impression I got from EQ2's original models) and more like an actual character.

It still isn't enough to get me to join, but I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on this.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-30-2005 09:34:14 AM
I think SOGA is Sony Online Games -- Asia
Blackened
posted 11-30-2005 09:39:12 AM
Looks like they were given an Anime-style slant.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-30-2005 10:04:45 AM
I still play EQ2...

They are decent graphics but they have the effect of making everyone look almost exactly alike. They barely change when you try to customize them. The only way you can really tell one kind of elf with another in game is by studying them very closely...

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-30-2005 10:16:28 AM
Thoughts on SOGA models:

1. All the women look like dudes
No...really. All of them. That or soulless children with frightening eyes (if you see a halfling female, stomp on it...otherwise you will be devoured by the soulless eyes)

2. Too much DBZ hair
Gnomes have DBZ hair! Ogres have DBZ hair! Barbarians have DBZ hair! Clearly someone in Norrath invented a light socket just so guys can stick their fingers in it!

3. Not enough miscellaneous touches
Gnomes don't have glasses in the SOGA models. What the hell? Their facial hair sucks. In fact all facial hair in the SOGA models sucks. One of the new scale patterns for Iksar make them look like swirled flavor ice cream. EVERYONE should have the option of body tattoos, EVERYONE should have the option of glasses/monocles, and ALL the guys should have the option of facial hair

4. Dark Elven Mimes
Choose body color. Choose facial features. Choose hair color and style. Doesn't matter. Your eyebrows and lips will be white. You look like some sort of reverse mime.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 11-30-2005 10:23:28 AM
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-30-2005 10:41:18 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Vorago:
What in the HELL is up with erudite males?

Thewy look like chicks.

By the way, Deth. The Iksar dont have SOGA models. They just have 2 new skins available that came out around the same time.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 11-30-2005 10:49:17 AM
A bit old news. They were on the test server for a while and are now a live option to choose from. Flaws aside, they actually look a deal better in real armor. When they were on the test server, I hopped around for another month to check things out and enjoyed the halfling male, but I was a bit too busy with school to keep playing regularily
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 11-30-2005 10:54:41 AM
The SOGA models are models that were released to have more of an Asian look for the Asian EQ2 players. They have been offered to normal players as a new option for models, but frankly I think they look like ass. ALL the female forms have these huge bodie and these tiiiiiiiiny little necks and heads. You can really see it on robe-wearing characters the worst. Whereas the humans had the mental retardation look before, that honor now goes to the wood elf females. They look horrible.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-30-2005 12:01:41 PM
quote:
Azakias likes to say stupid stuff like:
I still play EQ2...

They are decent graphics but they have the effect of making everyone look almost exactly alike. They barely change when you try to customize them. The only way you can really tell one kind of elf with another in game is by studying them very closely...

wow just like asians!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 11-30-2005 01:45:21 PM
quote:
Azakias had this to say about Punky Brewster:
Thewy look like chicks.

By the way, Deth. The Iksar dont have SOGA models. They just have 2 new skins available that came out around the same time.

Came out with the SOGA stuff, and I was in a general bitching mood, so...

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-30-2005 07:59:44 PM
The SOGA look just odd to me, didn't like how they made my charcters look:

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 12-01-2005 10:02:08 AM
For Barbs, the only thing I don't like is the hair selections. Most of it looks like a "Stages of Goku" retrospective.

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 12-01-2005 10:47:39 AM
top left one needs black hair so it'll look like OZZY
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-01-2005 12:41:37 PM
quote:
Kermitov had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
top left one needs black hair so it'll look like OZZY

Very short Ozzy

That's a gnome.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Malbi
posted 12-01-2005 01:01:15 PM
I like the striped iksar skin, I changed Hydrake to it and kept his reddish tint, with his spikes he looks like some kind of gila monster horned lizard cross, very evil
I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
LeMiere
posted 12-01-2005 01:09:43 PM
I like the human male models a hell of a lot better.
Half-elves look so disgruntled though. Kinda makes me sad.
SunGryphon
Nub nub nu...THWACK!
posted 12-03-2005 03:30:31 AM
The gnome on the right is doing a Count Olaf impression.
Nub, nub me do.
~+~+~
Nub... nub... nub!
Nub is all doo need!
Willias
Pancake
posted 12-03-2005 01:42:45 PM
Yo, could anyone post/link a couple of screenshots of the new iksar scale sets?
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: