EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: So I just tripped over my headphones...
Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-29-2005 05:11:08 PM
My favorite ones, no less!

And as you would expect, they are not working anymore I merrily disassembled them, and all the little wires are still connected where they should be, nothing is tangled or shorting or anything. But... they still are not working!

The other components are relatively solid-state (the part that jacks into the soundcard for instance) and nothing I can take apart, unless I really wanted to

The soundcard is working, I plugged in a pair of speakers and they work okie.

What can I do to fix these? I dun want to have to buy a brand new pair of altec lansing headphones

Aaron (the good one)
posted 11-29-2005 05:14:01 PM
Choke wire
Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-29-2005 06:20:09 PM
If all connections appear to be correct then you're going to need a multimeter to figure out what is grounding/shorting out. Once that has been figured you have to locate the problem precisely and diagnose a possible solution from there. Not really much you can do from a forum to help with the problem.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-29-2005 06:29:31 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Delidgamond wrote:
Choke wire

That's right. Strangle someone with headphones that work.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-29-2005 09:26:55 PM
quote:
So quoth Naimah:
If all connections appear to be correct then you're going to need a multimeter to figure out what is grounding/shorting out. Once that has been figured you have to locate the problem precisely and diagnose a possible solution from there. Not really much you can do from a forum to help with the problem.

I am an electrician.

True though. I do need more info before I might be able to help.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-29-2005 09:41:11 PM
I am an electrician.
Blackened
posted 11-29-2005 10:42:05 PM
I have a Ph. D. in Electricity.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 11-29-2005 10:53:45 PM
o rly, Parce and Blackened? In what alternate reality are you two living?
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-29-2005 10:57:12 PM
quote:
This one time, at Vernaltemptress camp:

I'd dazzle you with some electrician language, but I think you might just die from the sheer complexity.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-29-2005 10:58:47 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan was listening to Cher while typing:
I'd dazzle you with some electrician language, but I think you might just die from the sheer complexity.

V = IR, bitch.

Blackened
posted 11-29-2005 10:58:57 PM
quote:
Vernaltemptress.
Sorry, only true scholars in the world of electricity can utter a word in this thread, you'll have to leave.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 11-29-2005 11:44:33 PM
quote:
Blackened had this to say about Robocop:
Sorry, "only true scholars in the world of electricity can utter a word in this thread", you'll have to leave.

I think that means you'll have to leave, also.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Burger
BANNED!
posted 11-30-2005 12:02:46 AM
Find someone with a multimeter, and then set it to measure resistance. Test between the "sleeve" and the "ring" on the jack for your headphones. This should measure somewhere between 8 and 300 ohms. Next, measure from "sleeve" to "tip". You should get the same reading (roughly). (if you look at the three segments of a stereo jack, they're the tip, then the ring, then the sleeve, and then the wire).

If all that measures right, then they should be working perfectly, and something is REALLY screwed up.

Assuming that that does not measure out right, open the cups on the earcups, and check the resistance from one side of the driver to the other (touch one probe of the multimeter to each wire that connects inside the cup). It should measure somewhere in the 8-300 range. If it does, then there's a problem somewhere in the cord, and the two most likely places are where the cord terminates (the plug) or where the cord splits in two. Next step would be to cut off the plug end and solder on a new plug. That would most likely fix it. If the driver does not measure near that range, it's probably dead, and you'll have to buy new headphones.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 12:14:23 AM
Blast! My uncle who knows all says he does not know where his multimeter is

Therefore, I shall continue investigating purely mechanical means of failure for my headphones

The jack thing is connected to the... wire thing~ And the wire thing is connected to the... speaker thing~ And th-*FZZZT*

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 11-30-2005 12:15:02 AM
Invoke the Warranty or return policy on the headphones.

If it's too late for either of those, then it's really not a loss to buy a new set.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 12:22:52 AM
I bought these in june... and with looming truck repairs, I dun have much $$$
Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 12:27:09 AM
Aha! After splitting open the lil volume knob doodle (and gashing my hand in the process, go go gadget medic skills actually being useful ) I have sinceforth discovered that I had indeedy yanked the wires loose.

Except when I pulled it open, the broken part fell out, and I dunno which side goes right and left now, argh!

Time for a soldering gun, painful burns, and some ol fashioned trial and error

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-30-2005 12:35:51 AM
is the Voulume control really that important/usefull to ya?, unless it's a set like mine and has the mic controls on it.
Blackened
posted 11-30-2005 12:38:22 AM
quote:
Vernaltemptress.
I think that means you'll have to leave, also.
My Ph. D. is in Electricity!

Count on a woman to miss all the important details.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 12:43:03 AM
Hrm. How can I tell which wire in each pair goes to the ground? Both look pretty similar and work while reversed. One wire out of each pair has what looks like a fuzzy second wire woven into it, while the other in the pair is just plain gold wire. Which is which?

(edit) Lemme clarify that a bit.

Left speaker pair has a green and gold wire, and one gold wire.
Right speaker pair has a red and gold wire, and one gold wire.

I have a hankering which one is the ground, I just want to be sure.

Led fucked around with this message on 11-30-2005 at 12:44 AM.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 11-30-2005 12:48:38 AM
quote:
Led painfully thought these words up:
Hrm. How can I tell which wire in each pair goes to the ground? Both look pretty similar and work while reversed. One wire out of each pair has what looks like a fuzzy second wire woven into it, while the other in the pair is just plain gold wire. Which is which?

(edit) Lemme clarify that a bit.

Left speaker pair has a green and gold wire, and one gold wire.
Right speaker pair has a red and gold wire, and one gold wire.

I have a hankering which one is the ground, I just want to be sure.

Odds are that the gold wire on each side is ground, and just run with that assumption. Even if you get it wrong, nothing bad happens, you'll just end up with out-of-phase headphones, which sound almost exactly the same as in-phase ones.

No bad things happen as long as one wire from each side goes to ground, and the other wire goes to tip/ring.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-30-2005 01:05:29 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Blackened!
My Ph. D. is in Electricity!

Count on a woman to miss all the important details.

Women are so dumb.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 01:13:23 AM
Blarg. Since I could not secure any solder, I decided just to try to remelt the old solder and stick the wires back on that way. It worked okie, except I kinda torched the left wire mount. So now I need to wait until I can get some more solder x_X

However, while testing it (the right side wire and both grounds are hooked in so I decided to give it a go), both channels come out of the right speaker now So I must have it backwards... going to have to switch them tomorrow.

Rah!

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-30-2005 01:14:23 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Cuba:
Women are so dumb.

*Stabs Parce in the eye with hot soldering iron*

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-30-2005 01:14:53 AM
quote:
Led's fortune cookie read:
*Stabs Parce in the eye with hot soldering iron*

Who let you out of the kitchen?

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 11-30-2005 05:25:48 AM
Probably the previous guy that she murdered with the soldering iron.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 11-30-2005 10:51:53 AM
quote:
Burger was listening to Cher while typing:
Odds are that the gold wire on each side is ground, and just run with that assumption. Even if you get it wrong, nothing bad happens, you'll just end up with out-of-phase headphones, which sound almost exactly the same as in-phase ones.

If you do it the same on both sides, your headphones will always be in phase with each other.

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 11-30-2005 04:08:19 PM
This thread = Voted 5 5 5 5 5 Manbabies.
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-02-2005 10:28:55 PM
Ledupdate!

I managed to finally get my hands on some nifty rosin core solder today, and managed to get my headphones fixed after much hubub

Tip: Do not get the lil 'Cold Heat' soldering iron thingy. The tips break waaaaaaay too easily Guess I owe my brother a new one New tips probably cost more than the entire stupid thing *argh*

Maradon!
posted 12-03-2005 01:12:54 AM
Next thread: Led takes something apart and fixes it

I know I can't wait!

Led
*kaboom*
posted 12-03-2005 03:04:35 AM
*Breaks Maradons legs, then splints them!* No morphine for you, bish!
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 12-03-2005 11:24:02 AM
quote:
Led had this to say about Knight Rider:
Ledupdate!

I managed to finally get my hands on some nifty rosin core solder today, and managed to get my headphones fixed after much hubub

Tip: Do not get the lil 'Cold Heat' soldering iron thingy. The tips break waaaaaaay too easily Guess I owe my brother a new one New tips probably cost more than the entire stupid thing *argh*

I got one of those, and the fool thing didn't work at all. Took it back and got a real iron instead.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 12-03-2005 11:36:20 AM
quote:
Led had this to say about Pirotess:
Ledupdate!

Do yourself a favour and don't use those for anything electronics. They're the worst possible thing, a good old regular soldering iron works best.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: