EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: Here's what I think!
Author
Topic: OMG Newsflash!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-28-2005 11:49:00 PM
I just read an important, ground-breaking study on SI.com: 33% of coaches actually admitted to yelling at their athletes, and 20% even made fun of athletes who screwed up. Is that absolutely astounding, or what? How dare they?

I have come to the conclusion that this study--and Wikipedia--are proof the apocolypse is nigh and our civilization is doomed.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-28-2005 11:50:31 PM
Oh dear.

I also hear that some students, after not studying or being an idiot, receive grades of F! How negative!

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 11-28-2005 11:52:51 PM
That is fucking horseshit. When I coached football, I always yelled at them when they would never pay attention because half of the time they weren't listening. Clearly I'm in the wrong here, I'm going to motivate the players by gently rubbing their shoulder and giving them lectures on proper football etiquette and that it's okay that you guys didn't work hard enough and lost because of that.
"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-28-2005 11:53:55 PM
It's like people think they have a right to feel good about themselves no matter how often or badly they screw up.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 11-29-2005 12:04:08 AM
The trenchcoat option made me giggle.
Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Peter
Pancake
posted 11-29-2005 12:28:35 AM
quote:
Bloodsage obviously shouldn't have said:
It's like people think they have a right to feel good about themselves no matter how often or badly they screw up.

I found this amazeing concept, If you screw-up alot in a game and can't get better, don't fucking play.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-29-2005 12:41:20 AM
Worse: Sporting stores that don't actually sell sporting gear--just shoes and trackies.
El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 11-29-2005 02:41:07 AM
quote:
Pvednes had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Worse: Sporting stores that don't actually sell sporting gear--just shoes and trackies.

Some 'University Sportswear' store opened up in the mall here last week and they sell REGULAR CLOTHES, oh the horror.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Zair
The Imp
posted 11-29-2005 02:53:31 AM
My consumer ed. teacher in high school was also a boys football coach. He didn't really know how to seperate the two roles.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2005 03:33:57 AM
WTF is consumer ed? If it's taught by a coach, it must be something akin to Study Hall, yes?

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-29-2005 03:34:44 AM
Hey, what's wrong with wikipedia?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2005 03:37:35 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Alidane absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Hey, what's wrong with wikipedia?

Oh, I don't know. . .maybe the fact that any idiot can edit it, and there's no expert verification of the contents? Duh. Since when were encyclopedias written by laymen, through a process of consensus?

If that doesn't scare you, then my point is proven.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-29-2005 03:47:59 AM
quote:
How.... Bloodsage.... uughhhhhh:
Oh, I don't know. . .maybe the fact that any idiot can edit it, and there's no expert verification of the contents? Duh. Since when were encyclopedias written by laymen, through a process of consensus?

There's nothing at all alarming about Wikipedia. It's an online reference point for trivial things; everyone knows it's not reliable.

Edit: People learn many things and know many things only by word of mouth; I'd say Wikipedia is far more reliable than that, though it's certainly has little value beyond trivia.

Kuroi Madoushi fucked around with this message on 11-29-2005 at 03:53 AM.

Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 11-29-2005 03:49:07 AM
quote:
Bloodsage spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Yeah, but everybody knows it's that way, so what does it matter? It's still informational.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 11-29-2005 03:49:33 AM
quote:
Kuroi Madoushi's fortune cookie read:
There's nothing at all alarming about Wikipedia. It's an online reference point for trivial things; everyone knows it's not reliable.

Did you just forget to suck his dick for once?

Oh my god.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-29-2005 03:49:50 AM
quote:
Bloodsage has funnier quote texts than me:

Someone tried to pass in a research paper in my history course with wikipedia references.

The professor had to assign an extra class of what constitutes a reliable resource, and what exactly a 'primary source' is.

Edit: As far as Wikipedia is concerned, as long as you recognize that it's not reliable, it's all good. I prefer to think of it as a guide more than anything, rather then say, the 100% truth.

Liam fucked around with this message on 11-29-2005 at 03:51 AM.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 11-29-2005 04:47:09 AM
I use Wikipedia for looking up old wrestling moves that I can't place the name to the move!
Zair
The Imp
posted 11-29-2005 06:39:19 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Robocop:
WTF is consumer ed? If it's taught by a coach, it must be something akin to Study Hall, yes?

It was basic information on topics like balancing a checkbook, the stockmarket, buying a house, and other stuff I forgot.

Some required course that was made super easy so the spectrum of public high school students could all pass.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 11-29-2005 08:12:03 AM
quote:
From the book of Bloodsage, chapter 3, verse 16:
I just read an important, ground-breaking study on SI.com: 33% of coaches actually admitted to yelling at their athletes, and 20% even made fun of athletes who screwed up. Is that absolutely astounding, or what? How dare they?

I have come to the conclusion that this study--and Wikipedia--are proof the apocolypse is nigh and our civilization is doomed.

That's not always the best method to win, though. Our coach taught us to win using discipline, teamwork, respect, and our brains. He was a tough mofo, but we respected him. There were other teams whose coaches thought if they yelled at their team loud enough and berated the bad players they'd somehow get better. During competition, we tore those stereotype teams apart like they were nothing.

edit: I suppose the idea is to be inspired by winning instead of driven by the fear losing like some pathetic beaten dog. On the same note, even if we beat a team, but didn't do our best, that was a big problem. He knew our abilities and limitations, and knew how to push them beyond what we thought was possible. If we compared ourselves against the other teams instead of oureslves, we'd put artifical limits on our ability and wouldn't know what we could do. We'd LIKE to go against people better than ourselves, becuase that's how we can learn and be inspired.

diadem fucked around with this message on 11-29-2005 at 08:24 AM.

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-29-2005 08:33:56 AM
quote:
If Bloodsage was a glacier, they'd be a fast one:

The very fact that anyone can edit it means it's potentially the least biased source of information in the world. The fact that you consider that a weakness is alarming.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-29-2005 08:40:44 AM
quote:
From the book of Blindy., chapter 3, verse 16:
The very fact that anyone can edit it means it's potentially the least biased source of information in the world. The fact that you consider that a weakness is alarming.

Fallacy of the golden mean.

Mod
Pancake
posted 11-29-2005 09:09:16 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Captain Planet:

It isn't meant to be an authoritative source you go to for 100% factual, scientific information, more of a collection of broad articles on a multitude of subjects for people to browse through. I wouldn't trust it to be accurate on anything but otherwise well-documented subjects, especially concerning topics which are the subject of heated debate, but it's a nice place to go to when you just want to get a broad view of what a subject is about or quickly look up a date, location or other information very basic to people knowledgeable about that specific field but unknown to me.

Edit: Also Wikipedia does have editors who try and keep the whole thing together, it's not absolutely free for anyone to change.

Mod fucked around with this message on 11-29-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Maradon!
posted 11-29-2005 09:10:59 AM
quote:
x--PvednesO-('-'Q) :

OOOOOHHH

Fallacy burn!

Blindy.
posted 11-29-2005 09:26:22 AM
quote:
At least Pvednes isn't Somthor:

That doesn't apply here. There's a difference between saying "the middle ground between two extremes is correct" and "an article modified until there are no objections is correct"

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2005 09:26:25 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Blindy. gently hums:

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Accuracy is the single most important attribute of a reference source, and Wikipedia has no method to ensure it. Do you have even the faintest idea what bias is, or when it's relevant?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2005 09:31:26 AM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Blindy. squealed:
That doesn't apply here. There's a difference between saying "the middle ground between two extremes is correct" and "an article modified until there are no objections is correct"

It's also an appeal to popularity.

You need to learn something, before life burns you badly: the opinions of a bunch of unqualified people mean exactly nothing on a given topic, even if they all agree.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-29-2005 09:33:24 AM
quote:
Blindy.'s tombstone read:

Yes, yes it does. Hypothetical example time!

Dr. Respected Geologist puts up an article on sedimentary rock strata. Rev. Dangerous Cultist then changes it to suit his crackpotted dogma of space aliens from the distant past killing everyone with a global flood in ten days. Wikiwar ensues, resulting in a neutral article about the effects of space aliens from the distant past on rock strata. Everyone gets bored, and no-one really objects. But it's about as truthful as a corrupt lawyer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2005 09:38:24 AM
quote:
Mod startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
It isn't meant to be an authoritative source you go to for 100% factual, scientific information, more of a collection of broad articles on a multitude of subjects for people to browse through. I wouldn't trust it to be accurate on anything but otherwise well-documented subjects, especially concerning topics which are the subject of heated debate, but it's a nice place to go to when you just want to get a broad view of what a subject is about or quickly look up a date, location or other information very basic to people knowledgeable about that specific field but unknown to me.

Edit: Also Wikipedia does have editors who try and keep the whole thing together, it's not absolutely free for anyone to change.

Um, that's exactly the point: it isn't the least bit reliable for looking up facts, by its very nature. It's absolutely useless, except as insight into how stupid people like Blindy think. It's an interesting sociological experiment, but cannot ever be a factual reference. So, yeah, I guess if your only question is, "Hmmmm. . .I wonder what a bunch of random unqualified people think about this topic?" it's worthwhile.

You simply can't be sure that the information comes from people knowledgeable in a specific field, and so have no way to trust the information you find. It's a waste of time as a reference.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-29-2005 09:42:45 AM
On the other hand, some topics are so esoteric, only qualified people have the cojones to even try to edit it.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2005 09:45:42 AM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Pvednes squealed:
On the other hand, some topics are so esoteric, only qualified people have the cojones to even try to edit it.

And the way to verify the qualifications of the person editing is. . . ? The in-place method for verifying the information prior to publishing is. . . ?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2005 09:47:59 AM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, diadem squealed:
That's not always the best method to win, though. Our coach taught us to win using discipline, teamwork, respect, and our brains. He was a tough mofo, but we respected him. There were other teams whose coaches thought if they yelled at their team loud enough and berated the bad players they'd somehow get better. During competition, we tore those stereotype teams apart like they were nothing.

edit: I suppose the idea is to be inspired by winning instead of driven by the fear losing like some pathetic beaten dog. On the same note, even if we beat a team, but didn't do our best, that was a big problem. He knew our abilities and limitations, and knew how to push them beyond what we thought was possible. If we compared ourselves against the other teams instead of oureslves, we'd put artifical limits on our ability and wouldn't know what we could do. We'd LIKE to go against people better than ourselves, becuase that's how we can learn and be inspired.

What does that have to do with whether or not a coach should ever yell?

Blindy.
posted 11-29-2005 09:49:35 AM
quote:
I gotta give it to Pvednes with:
Yes, yes it does. Hypothetical example time!

Dr. Respected Geologist puts up an article on sedimentary rock strata. Rev. Dangerous Cultist then changes it to suit his crackpotted dogma of space aliens from the distant past killing everyone with a global flood in ten days. Wikiwar ensues, resulting in a neutral article about the effects of space aliens from the distant past on rock strata. Everyone gets bored, and no-one really objects. But it's about as truthful as a corrupt lawyer.

I see. Find an article that's been edited a fair amount of times that contains anything remotely simular to this situation, and I'll shut up.

What would really happen is Rev. Crackpot would add his information and it would not be green-lit after review, then he would be bared from future postings on the topic.

This isn't a chalkboard where anyone can come up and write whatever they want. There is a system at work here.

I'm not even going to bother responding to Bloodsage's arguements. If I wanted to be called stupid 50 times in a minute I'd just ring up an ex-girlfriend.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-29-2005 09:51:21 AM
quote:
Verily, Bloodsage doth proclaim:
And the way to verify the qualifications of the person editing is. . . ? The in-place method for verifying the information prior to publishing is. . . ?

None and none. Usually, however, the parts I'm refering to are plagiarized from more reliable sources.

Which means while it may be factually accurate, it's still impossible to use as a reference.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-29-2005 10:03:14 AM
quote:
From the book of Blindy., chapter 3, verse 16:
I see. Find an article that's been edited a fair amount of times that contains anything remotely simular to this situation, and I'll shut up.

What would really happen is Rev. Crackpot would add his information and it would not be green-lit after review, then he would be bared from future postings on the topic.

This isn't a chalkboard where anyone can come up and write whatever they want. There is a system at work here.

I'm not even going to bother responding to Bloodsage's arguements. If I wanted to be called stupid 50 times in a minute I'd just ring up an ex-girlfriend.

Nutrition vs. the Atkinites

Blindy.
posted 11-29-2005 10:09:55 AM
quote:
Don't feed the Pvednes:
Nutrition vs. the Atkinites

Yes, that is just chock full of un-checked crackpot theories that no one bothered to argue against, yes sir.

What are you trying to point out in that article? It contains information on what it is, how it is claimed to work, events and dates relating to the rise and fall of its popularity, a critical view from the medial community containing references, and even a section on the market effects on carb heavy foodstuffs.

Pretty much all the information one would want to have on the topic.

Sean
posted 11-29-2005 10:19:21 AM
Will you people fucking shut up already? Jesus christ, you guys can turn a discussion over ice cream into a half-assed flame war.

I'm going to let you all in on a terrible secret of Evercrest: Nobody fucking cares what two out of three people involved in that discussion have to say. And neither of them are Pved.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Blindy.
posted 11-29-2005 10:24:58 AM
quote:
Sean - Sean = 0:
Will you people fucking shut up already? Jesus christ, you guys can turn a discussion over ice cream into a half-assed flame war.

I'm going to let you all in on a terrible secret of Evercrest: Nobody fucking cares what two out of three people involved in that discussion have to say. And neither of them are Pved.

FLAMING IN A FLAME THREAD? HOLY SHIT THE FORUMS ARE GOING DOWNHILL!

Sean
posted 11-29-2005 10:28:04 AM
It's one of the most pointless I've ever seen. It's like an argument over whether or not we're being spied on by aliens.

"You.. I-Why are you wearing that tinfoil hat?"
"ALIENS."
"..I'm pretty sure we.. what?"
"THEY'RE READING OUR BRAINWAVES. THEY'RE OUT THERE, PLOTTING THE DOWNFALL OF OUR SOCIETY."
" "

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-29-2005 10:46:56 AM
quote:
Blindy. startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:

Nice one, jackass! Don't say stupid shit, and you won't be called stupid.

If you knew the first thing about logic, you wouldn't say, "A bunch of people agree with it, so it must be true!" or, "Since it's something everyone can agree on, it can't be biased, and that's more important than accuracy."

So exactly where in the Wikipedia process are facts checked by qualified people in the field? What is the process by which misinformation is corrected?

Blindy.
posted 11-29-2005 11:07:30 AM
quote:
Loosely translated, Bloodsage says "Kill the whales":
Nice one, jackass! Don't say stupid shit, and you won't be called stupid.

If you knew the first thing about logic, you wouldn't say, "A bunch of people agree with it, so it must be true!" or, "Since it's something everyone can agree on, it can't be biased, and that's more important than accuracy."

So exactly where in the Wikipedia process are facts checked by qualified people in the field? What is the process by which misinformation is corrected?

Right after an article is submitted, it is displayed on the New Articles list. There are many humans as well as bots that roam the articles on this list (the bots are open source and approved by the community- non approved bots are blocked) which verify the content against the guidelines and add them to specific to-do lists if they are suspect.

You end up with a sizeable group of people looking at every new article and article on to-do lists to suggest changes, generally the more controversial or otherwise popular a topic is, the larger a group of editors gathers around it.

Editors are supposed to operate under the well established and community standardized guidelines of No Original Research, Neutral Point of View, and Verifiability. Any editing outside of these guidelines is immediately pointed out, as the discussion page of any high-traffic article will quickly prove to you.

You can read the points if you want but it basically goes like this: Don't post anything that can't be verified by a professional publication, study, or research on the matter. Don't write with an agenda or discredit any viewpoint beyond what can be verified in the research, and don't post your own theories or research on a topic. Everything is based off the idea that wikipedia brings together the summation of publisized knowledge on a topic, and leaves it at that.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: