EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: What is the most social sin?
Author
Topic: Socially Acceptable Sins
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-28-2005 02:57:41 PM
I had this thought just recently: What is the most commonly embraced, socially acceptable deadly sin in this day and age?

Certainly, by religious groups and other moral groups, many sins are demonized, but the media and mainstream society also glamourizes them to a great degree.

Ergo, what do you think is the most accepted sin? The sin that, upon seeing it in any form, is commonly accepted. Be as detailed as you want in your answer.

I think that the top three are Greed, Lust and Wrath. Greed is the basis of capitalism, really, which makes it a huge part of our society even without the constant glamourizing in media. Lust, of course, is everywhere as, despite the FCC, shows constantly strive to be the skankiest and show the most erotic lesbian love.

Wrath, I'd say, is recent due primarily to the war. ;Remember 9/11! Never forget! Get them Iraqis!;

So, what's your theory?

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 11-28-2005 03:04:50 PM
I would have to say sloth seeing as how we pay athletes(I CAN'T SPELL TODAY) millions of dollars to hit a ball with a stick.
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-28-2005 03:11:55 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Anakha gently hums:
I would have to say sloth seeing as how we pay athletes(I CAN'T SPELL TODAY) millions of dollars to hit a ball with a stick.

Someone needs to invest in a dictionary! What athletes do is the opposite of sloth.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 11-28-2005 03:14:24 PM
Gluttony
Not in the physical ( omg im fat ) sense but in the buffet All-you-can-eat kinda way.
This of course goes right along with Greed and the all mighty dollar but yeah.. i think "socially acceptable" is gluttony.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-28-2005 03:22:00 PM
While I think that greed and envy are core components of Capitalism, I think there's also limits society puts on them (laws). There's no law against Sloth, though, and that's omnipresent. I mean a whole generation of kids (Generation X) was stereotypically described as being rather slothful. Partly that's a stereotype, but you can see sloth in just about everything. Look at reality TV; even megacorporations are pretty slothful about what sort of programming they're putting on.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

LeMiere
posted 11-28-2005 03:24:36 PM
Goin' with Gluttony. Such few things are embraced as greatly as Football-viewing with the chums. And when such get-togethers are arranged, equally as vital as the television are the chips and booze.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-28-2005 03:40:39 PM
Why are they sins when they're the primary driving forces behind any good economy?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-28-2005 03:46:52 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop got served! JooJooFlop got served!
Why are they sins when they're the primary driving forces behind any good economy?

Except for sloth and wrath. Those come after you cash out.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 11-28-2005 04:04:03 PM
I dunno, a lot of people are pretty damned fat, and eating a lot has always been a pasttime of whoever can do so.

But Wrath is definitely accepted by a lot of people as well.

Take your pick.

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-28-2005 05:04:35 PM
Gluttony.

I don't see how Wrath is socially acceptable. There are a few socially accepted cases of Revenge (which are also not LEGALLY acceptable), but there are also people who get out of their car and shoot someone because they got cut off in traffic.

Envy and greed are socially present, but not socially acceptable. It's okay for a company to cut jobs for the sake of profit, but it is still pretty much universally frowned upon.

Also, gluttony extends beyond simply eating. Things like alcoholism are considered gluttony. The results of gluttony, while not appealing or praised, are certainly accepted and excused. They have to be, with so much of the nation obese or overweight.

Gluttony is overindulgence and consumption of material things, while Greed is more the possession of things for the sake of possessing them and the accumulation of wealth beyond your practical needs. I think that by this definition, gluttony is absolutely our society's greatest and most personal sin.

Lashanna fucked around with this message on 11-28-2005 at 05:08 PM.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Mod
Pancake
posted 11-28-2005 05:10:30 PM
Pride. Pride in oneself and even things that you are only associated with by pure chance (Race, nationality, ancestry, ...) has been embraced as a virtue by a ton of people, while things like gluttony are just somewhat tolerated.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Damnati
Filthy
posted 11-28-2005 05:36:14 PM
Sloth is really the only one of the seven that doesn't have a commonly demonstrated part in our society. It's present, it just isn't advertised like the other six, which are commercialized and thrown about in every possible place.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-28-2005 05:38:34 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Someone needs to invest in a dictionary! What athletes do is the opposite of sloth.

Maybe he was tiring to intimate we all be fat lazy bastards because ewe would rather watch someone else hit the ball with a stick and drink copious amounts of beer rather than get off out buts and hit the ball with a stick ourselves?

--And how could you not know what sloth is?

HAY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 11-28-2005 05:53:29 PM
While to some extent, each one is accepted in society, pride is probably the most embraced.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 11-28-2005 06:47:39 PM
I would say greed, as every person in our capitalistic culture would love to be wealthier than everyone else around them.

Seems like people go out of their way sometimes to gouge that extra dollar. Maybe even demand that raise, so they can buy that nicer house / boat / car that they "deserve."

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Cavalier-
Pancake
posted 11-28-2005 07:23:21 PM
Given the rapidly increasing rates of obesity in the "First World" countries around the globe, I'm going to say Gluttony is by far the most socially acceptable sin. Just take a look at how much money the various fast-food chains are spending trying to advertise their food, not just in a "OMG WE AER HEALTHY NOW!" way, but in general marketing.

Second on the list would have to be Sloth, particularly when you apply it to the attitudes of many "First World" nations towards the poorer developing nations (either Second or Third World in classification). The whole notion of dumping bags of wheat, etc on these nations may solve the short-term effects of starvation etc, but does little to solve the chronic underlying problems in the longterm. Teaching them efficient means of agriculture, self-sufficiency, etc would turn many of these countries into 'civilised' nations, rather than being the beggars that they are today.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 11-29-2005 02:11:56 AM
Gluttony. Food eating contests. Disability for fat people. Handicap parking for fat people. Guiness records for fat people.
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-29-2005 03:48:10 AM
Pride, for sure. Gluttony isn't exactly accepted. It's a spectacle, if anything else, and there are people out there who coddle the extreme gluttons, but it's still not appropriate. I mean, when you see a gigantic lard ass cruisin' down the street in a power scooter, you don't exactly embrace it.

All of them have varying degrees of taboo in terms of society's perspective on them, but I think that Pride is the only that's embraced and condoned as often as it is.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 11-29-2005 07:20:20 PM
I'm up with the pride, yo. At least for all the other sins, you can commit them alone. You can be wrathful, lustful, lazy, gluttonous, greedy and envious on your own time - in fact, several of those are one-person only sins. Pride, though is something you need other people to be able to do. You can be prideful of yourself, but pride really shines when you have people to compare yourself to, to stand out mightily beside. If you're just a shining beacon alone, no one knows how awesome you are, but if you're a shining beacon next to the grasping masses, you're that much cooler.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

SunGryphon
Nub nub nu...THWACK!
posted 12-03-2005 04:24:05 AM
Lust.

Maxim. Sports Illustrated. Bikini chicks on cars and motorcycles. Cheerleaders. Hawaiian Tropic Tan contest. Daytona Beach Spring Break.

Moi.

Nub, nub me do.
~+~+~
Nub... nub... nub!
Nub is all doo need!
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 12-03-2005 04:35:31 AM
Pride, as it's often lauded as a classical virtue.
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 12-03-2005 06:38:38 AM
I'm siding with Pride too, we encourage our children to take pride in their nation, in their achievements, beliefs, and in their culture's history. Like most of the other sins; a small dose of pride may not cause many problems, but pride pushed to the point of uncompromising stubbornness is what cause many conflicts between people of different nationalities, backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: