EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: 'Censoring' Al Jazeera?
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-27-2005 08:19:10 AM
British memo leaked, regarding Blair talking Bush out of a plan to bomb Al Jazeera, hilarity ensues.

Meanwhile, the officials who leaked it get gutted, and Al Jazeera employees go WTF?

One has to wonder about the truth to such matters--claiming to spread democracy, but considering the censorship of a free media by the most violent means?

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 11-27-2005 08:50:33 AM
So... lemme get this straight. Some schmuck from probably the most biased "news organization" in the world wants political documents of closed door meetings made public?

Jesus Fuckin' Christ, I hope the brits laugh his rag-headed ass back to Jerkajerkastan.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-27-2005 08:58:55 AM
quote:
From the book of Mooj, chapter 3, verse 16:
So... lemme get this straight. Some schmuck from probably the most biased "news organization" in the world wants political documents of closed door meetings made public?

Jesus Fuckin' Christ, I hope the brits laugh his rag-headed ass back to Jerkajerkastan.

Well, if it were documents regarding destroying your workplace and killing you in the process, wouldn't you want to find out, after having caught wind of it?

Anyhow, Al Jazeera is pretty good for middle eastern news.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 11-27-2005 09:17:04 AM
Would I want to know? Yes. Would I expect to find out? Hell no. Would I expect the government to reveal a conversation between the two respective figureheads of the government? Fuck no. Hell, that's painting a damn bullseye on your chest and saying "Hey, I'm a risk to national security."

What's trying to be done here is to set precident to give Al Jezeera access to private government planning. Poorly, I might add.

And sure, Al Jezeera is a fine source of middle eastern news as long as you don't mind the occasional beheading. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they should have been bombed, of course, but like I said. They're more biased than CNN and FOX combined.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-27-2005 09:55:01 AM
quote:
Check out the big brains on Mooj:
Would I want to know? Yes. Would I expect to find out? Hell no. Would I expect the government to reveal a conversation between the two respective figureheads of the government? Fuck no. Hell, that's painting a damn bullseye on your chest and saying "Hey, I'm a risk to national security."

What's trying to be done here is to set precident to give Al Jezeera access to private government planning. Poorly, I might add.

And sure, Al Jezeera is a fine source of middle eastern news as long as you don't mind the occasional beheading. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they should have been bombed, of course, but like I said. They're more biased than CNN and FOX combined.

Oh so since they don't expect the government to release the documents they should just not make a big deal about it am i rite?

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 11-27-2005 10:12:55 AM
government obscurity is awesome
hey
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-27-2005 01:21:26 PM
So anyone who makes bizarre claims alleging misconduct should have the right to see classified documents, and the burden of proof should be on the accused to refute the allegations?

That makes a lot of sense.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Maradon!
posted 11-27-2005 01:54:54 PM
quote:
Pvednesing:
One has to wonder about the truth to such matters--claiming to spread democracy, but considering the censorship of a free media by the most violent means?

A couple things

1) This story is about as flimsy as they come, with zero substantiating evidence. It's nothing but a load of idiotic barking from people who want to paint the Bush administration in the worst light possible.

2) Al-Jazeera is hardly what I'd call "free media", they've routinely acted as a willing mouthpiece for Al Qaeda and have a pro-islamo-facist spin to everything they broadcast.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-27-2005 02:14:38 PM
Al-Jazeera is a terrorist network, not free press.
Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 11-27-2005 02:23:49 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Pvednes wrote:
Anyhow, Al Jazeera is pretty good for middle eastern news.

When you stop to consider how horribly low the bar is set for the media establishment in the Arab world, that's not really saying anything.

Personally, I put them about a notch or two above the "Weekly World News" in terms of journalistic cred.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 11-27-2005 03:01:55 PM
quote:
Pvednes stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Meanwhile, the officials who leaked it get gutted, and Al Jazeera employees go WTF?

Err, I'm confused, you actually believe this is true?

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-27-2005 03:17:41 PM
quote:
Mooj's account was hax0red to write:
And sure, Al Jezeera is a fine source of middle eastern news as long as you don't mind the occasional beheading.

Fun fact: Al-Jazeera has never actually aired any beheading footage. They'll show some of the video before the beheading but not the beheading itself.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-27-2005 03:20:31 PM
quote:
Callalron obviously shouldn't have said:
When you stop to consider how horribly low the bar is set for the media establishment in the Arab world, that's not really saying anything.

Yeah, it's them or government-run news-flavored propaganda programs.

But, you deal with the Arab media you have, not necessarily the Arab media you want or need.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 11-27-2005 03:42:00 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about John Romero:
Al-Jazeera is a terrorist network, not free press.

Wrong.

As for this story in general, I don't buy it until I see some supporting evidence. The war might have been badly planned, but this is just too ridiculously dumb to be true.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-27-2005 04:13:19 PM
quote:
Quoth Zaza:
Wrong.

As for this story in general, I don't buy it until I see some supporting evidence. The war might have been badly planned, but this is just too ridiculously dumb to be true.

The war was planned quite well. The bureaucrats failed to plan for the ensuing protectorate, however. There's a difference.

Blindy.
posted 11-27-2005 04:19:13 PM
quote:
Bloodsage - Bloodsage = 0:
The war was planned quite well. The bureaucrats failed to plan for the ensuing protectorate, however. There's a difference.

Everything about the war was planned well except for the "finishing it" part.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 11-27-2005 04:25:51 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop said this about your mom:
Fun fact: Al-Jazeera has never actually aired any beheading footage. They'll show some of the video before the beheading but not the beheading itself.

There I go again, not being able to convey sarcasm without a nifty smiley.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 11-27-2005 04:36:18 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Bloodsage said this:

True enough.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-27-2005 04:37:05 PM
quote:
Quoth Blindy.:
Everything about the war was planned well except for the "finishing it" part.

You need to distinguish between the war and the reconstruction of the country afterwards. They are completely different things, overseen by completely different groups of people. Although your mistake is excusable; stupid people everywhere confuse the two.

Blindy.
posted 11-27-2005 04:53:18 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's momma would never want to hear them say:
You need to distinguish between the war and the reconstruction of the country afterwards. They are completely different things, overseen by completely different groups of people. Although your mistake is excusable; stupid people everywhere confuse the two.

Oh hoo, I see what you did there.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-27-2005 05:21:45 PM
quote:
Blindy. Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Oh hoo, I see what you did there.

This had better be the last time I see an insult, left-handed or otherwise, in this thread.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 11-27-2005 05:25:32 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Cuba:
This had better be the last time I see an insult, left-handed or otherwise, in this thread.

You suck.

Err, you suck well.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 11-27-2005 06:52:39 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan stopped beating up furries long enough to write:

I'd hate to point out the obvious, but Bloodsage insulted him first.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-27-2005 07:17:51 PM
quote:
Snoota's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
I'd hate to point out the obvious, but Bloodsage insulted him first.

And I arrived after the second bullet had been shot. So long as there are no minorities, both people are at fault.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 11-27-2005 07:19:29 PM
Edit: Oh nevermind, you explained yourself.

Liam fucked around with this message on 11-27-2005 at 07:19 PM.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-27-2005 09:45:23 PM
quote:
Noxhil2 had this to say about Captain Planet:
Err, I'm confused, you actually believe this is true?

Leaks are about the only way to find out some of the things that go on in government.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 11-27-2005 10:57:42 PM
Yeah, there's a reason for that. Leaks don't happen in the government unless someone wants to stir up shit.

Government meetings of all sorts are private affairs for a reason. If this is true, whoever leaked it is going to be publically castrated and their career is going to be flushed. If this isn't true, someone from Al Jazeera's hoping to get let in on state secrets, or someone in Tony Blair's confidence is once again going to be publically castrated and their career is going to be flushed.

If you can't keep secrets, you don't get far in politics. If you can't keep STATE secrets, you won't get far in life period.

Clinton's affair was a scandal. Leaking private discussions on military planning, I'm pretty sure that's treason.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-27-2005 11:06:01 PM
Nah, nothing wrong with having a bit of a leak when it brings you political advantage. Provided you pretend it's not kosher, and act with the appropriate righteous indignation, of course.

I think they've been charged under the official secrets act, anyway.

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 11-27-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-28-2005 02:22:18 AM
I might have missed the memo, but when did the BBC become so horribly "biased"?
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 11-28-2005 02:26:12 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Tarquinn said:

Just take it from Maradon, the only moderate news source is Fox News.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-28-2005 02:43:43 AM
quote:
Tarquinn Model 2000 was programmed to say:

They were just as much a mouthpiece for the IRA as Al-Jazeera is for Al-Qaeda, so we know they're not afraid to fraternize with violent terrorists. You expect any fair treatment from such and organization?

Tarquinn
posted 11-28-2005 03:09:56 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
They were just as much a mouthpiece for the IRA as Al-Jazeera is for Al-Qaeda, so we know they're not afraid to fraternize with violent terrorists. You expect any fair treatment from such and organization?

Can you post any links/proof showing this?

That would be very nice.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-28-2005 03:35:30 AM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Pirotess:
Can you post any links/proof showing this?

That would be very nice.

C'mon, when the IRA wants to make a statement you think they're gonna have the Bumfuck Potato Farmer Times publish it? Hell no! They're sending that shit to the BBC because they want as many people to hear it as possible. And because the BBC is all too ready to carry the message on to their viewers that makes them a mouthpiece for the IRA. Don't give me any crap about it being good journalism or good ratings, either.

Tarquinn
posted 11-28-2005 04:46:18 AM
quote:
This one time, at JooJooFlop camp:
C'mon, when the IRA wants to make a statement you think they're gonna have the Bumfuck Potato Farmer Times publish it? Hell no! They're sending that shit to the BBC because they want as many people to hear it as possible. And because the BBC is all too ready to carry the message on to their viewers that makes them a mouthpiece for the IRA. Don't give me any crap about it being good journalism or good ratings, either.

Yeah, now all makes sense. Not sure why the BBC did this or thought so.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-28-2005 11:49:47 AM
There was quite a scandal within the BBC during the war, if folks don't remember, because they abandoned their traditional journalistic ethics in favor of deliberately trying to cast the government and the war in a bad light. If I remember correctly, there were resignations because of it.

Unfortunately, the BBC is no longer very trustworthy because it's decided to follow the model of other British media and choose sides.

Tarquinn
posted 11-28-2005 11:51:22 AM
Any links?
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-28-2005 12:03:59 PM
It was a couple of years ago--the flap about the suicide of the government dude, Kelly, that resulted in a juidical review and then the resignation of several top BBC folks.

Don't have any links offhand.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-28-2005 03:28:17 PM
In general I like BBC. But then I try to be what my PoliSci teacher referred to as a "conscientious consumer of media input". I take anything I see, hear, or read with a grain of salt. So in general I like the BBC. The one guy on their morning radio program argues with whoever he gets on. Does it to British politicians, did it to members in Sin Fein (or however you spell it) and the IRA when the IRA disarmed, does it to pretty much everyone. I like that sort of confrontational media; wish I saw more of it. Don't tell me a story; show me the angles. I want to understand the situation, not comprehend a tale being told.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: