EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dark and Light
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-24-2005 12:07:59 AM
Anyone else been following this? You can Google the official page since I'm too damn lazy to post it here.

Anyway, it looks like what Horizons should've/could've been.. remember the original Horizons design doc everyone drooled over.. D&L seems to be its realisation minus the demons and angels.

The world is simply gigantic, it would take a week real-time to cross on foot I hear. No zones, no loading, free atmospheric flight on winged mounts, fortresses built to your specifications, the ability to become land Barons and even the King of the various kingdoms, and the end-game is the 10th kingdom where the gods live plus inter-kingdom/inter-race/inter-religion PVP.

The only problem with it I have is that the character models and some armour looks like ass. Though these will probably be improved and if the game play is this good who cares about the graphics. Well ok.. maybe not ass.. but just realistic and not "high fantasy" with huge pointy bits like in WoW. It's looking very promising, overall. I'd like to hear from anyone here if they do get in the beta about if it's good or not, since I'd pre-order for the exclusive goodies based on their assessment.

The best part for me? I can be a Human Black Knight. I AM INVINCIBLE!

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-24-2005 12:10:20 AM
Oh and only 1 planned game server, so everyone plays together no matter what.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 11-24-2005 12:12:15 AM
quote:
Mortious stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Oh and only 1 planned game server, so everyone plays together no matter what.

That thing had better be the server of God.

EDIT: Be.

Sentow, Maybe fucked around with this message on 11-24-2005 at 12:12 AM.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Skaw
posted 11-24-2005 12:12:53 AM
quote:
Mortious impressed everyone with:
No zones, no loading, free atmospheric flight on winged mounts, fortresses built to your specifications, the ability to become land Barons and even the King of the various kingdoms

Sounds like Lineage II.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-24-2005 12:14:15 AM
Sounds like vaporware.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-24-2005 12:18:00 AM
quote:
Naimah said:
Sounds like vaporware.

It was demonstrated at E3. The guy went around a bit on the back of a dragon and teleported to various places on the gigantic world map, he climbed a mountain which are in real-world height and can be seen while miles away from them.

Haven't been this interested in a game since I first heard about SWG being developed.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-24-2005 12:19:35 AM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe said:
That thing had better be the server of God.

EDIT: Be.

Probably going to be "clusters" just like other games use, used for the kingdoms that are inter-linked and have a shared data pool. Or something.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 11-24-2005 12:21:07 AM
That sounds like every video game I've ever wanted rolled into one.

Crap.

Sean
posted 11-24-2005 12:40:11 AM
I claim massive amounts of shenanigans, sorry.

If it ever makes it to release, it'll be a huge disappointment in some way or another.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-24-2005 02:14:04 AM
Sounds like Dawn.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 11-24-2005 03:03:45 AM
I've been watching this game's development for a while now, mainly for a laugh.

Let's review their E3 trailer again shall we?

http://www.darkandlight.net/videos/Trailer_E3_2005.avi (Hi-res)
http://www.darkandlight.net/videos/trailer_E3_2005.mov (Lo-res)

Cobalt Katze fucked around with this message on 11-24-2005 at 03:04 AM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 11-24-2005 08:01:12 AM
The developers were in some legal trouble last I remember. Even ignoring that, the game looks like shit and play like shit it seems. If its not vapor, it'll be a crappy game.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-24-2005 01:29:50 PM
quote:
Talonus said:
The developers were in some legal trouble last I remember. Even ignoring that, the game looks like shit and play like shit it seems. If its not vapor, it'll be a crappy game.

That's why I'm waiting for a beta tester's opinion before making a purchase decision. I need to know how it plays, and I couldn't care less about how it looks.

Gameplay > Graphics.

Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 11-24-2005 02:09:36 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about Knight Rider:
That's why I'm waiting for a beta tester's opinion before making a purchase decision. I need to know how it plays, and I couldn't care less about how it looks.

Gameplay > Graphics.

*points at swg questionaly.

but.. the gameplay has been fairly bad in swg for quite some time... although I still play it...

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-24-2005 02:47:23 PM
quote:
Cobalt Katze said:
I've been watching this game's development for a while now, mainly for a laugh.

Let's review their E3 trailer again shall we?

Except for the hilarious dodo riding which made me LOL in real life, that actually looks pretty damn good.

As close to a true AD&D MMORPG that I've seen yet.

Mod
Pancake
posted 11-24-2005 03:18:37 PM
The whole 'The world will take X amount of days to cross on foot'-argument is dumb and always was dumb, it tells you nothing about the amount of content in the world, all it tells you is that either there are huge empty tracts of land between points of interest or that players move really, really slowly, because there is no way that any company can design that much unique content.

Mod fucked around with this message on 11-24-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-24-2005 03:36:44 PM
thx 2 be calling me dumb
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-24-2005 05:54:08 PM
It does look like it will never happen.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 11-24-2005 07:17:06 PM
I think of it this way. It'll be one of the following:

• Huge flop.
  • Huge success.
  • Mr. Parcelan
    posted 11-24-2005 08:22:37 PM
    quote:
    This insanity brought to you by Mortious:

• Huge flop.
  • Huge success.

• The problem is that there's just so many ways it could be a huge flop and really only a few ways it could be a huge success.

Talonus
    Loner
    posted 11-24-2005 08:51:03 PM
    quote:
    Mortious had this to say about Pirotess:

• Huge flop.
  • Huge success.
  • vaporware

• MadCat the 2nd
    Pancake
    posted 11-24-2005 09:02:50 PM
    quote:
    Mortious attempted to be funny by writing:
    Probably going to be "clusters" just like other games use, used for the kingdoms that are inter-linked and have a shared data pool. Or something.

Same way EVE does it; massive amounts of hardware clustered together, with separate nodes to handle areas of the map. From the look of it, it's based on the BigWorld Tech MMO engine (www.bigworldtech.com).

It's interesting as all hell! I wants it...(the game that is, not an MMO engine)

"Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that motherfucker upside the head."

ben(at)netmastering(dot)nl

Mortious
    Gluttonous Overlard
    posted 11-24-2005 11:00:26 PM
    quote:
    Talonus said:
    vaporware

Someone with inside information! Well, that's the only way you'd know for certain that it's vaporware without posting adequate proof to support your theory.

So since you know all about the game and everything, tell us all about it.

Talonus
    Loner
    posted 11-25-2005 08:56:15 AM
    quote:
    Mortious stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
    Someone with inside information! Well, that's the only way you'd know for certain that it's vaporware without posting adequate proof to support your theory.

So since you know all about the game and everything, tell us all about it.

I gave you an option. If it comes out, it'll be a huge flop or vaporware. Considering the possible law suit and the fact that they're selling beta keys for full game price indicates possible money problems. Money problems several months before a release indicate possible vaporware. Better funded MMOs have become vapor, but then again worse funded MMOs haven't.

I'm sorry if I'm being harsh about a game you're looking forward to playing, but the MMO playerbase is already thin between games, especially with WoW around. I very much doubt this one will be very good or last very long, if it even gets to release. If you want to prove me wrong though, go ahead and drop the cash on a pre-order. I'll eat my words if this game somehow doesn't suck.

Noxhil2
    Pancake
    posted 11-25-2005 12:11:57 PM
    Uhh, those look like pre-orders, not beta keys
    Talonus
    Loner
    posted 11-25-2005 01:41:24 PM
    quote:
    Noxhil2 painfully thought these words up:
    Uhh, those look like pre-orders, not beta keys

Not mentioned there, but "pioneer" players will get "preference" for beta.

Azymyth
    Not gay; just weird
    posted 11-25-2005 04:31:02 PM
    If a company is having legal troubles, if they are able to get it out, it'll probably be much delayed if they want to keep the game good or push it out quickly to try and get a few sales in before it ultimately tanks.
    I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

All times are US/Eastern
    Hop To: