EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: What do you do?
Author
Topic: Pop Quiz, Hotshot!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-18-2005 01:35:34 AM
So, you're moving to a very cool location, but won't be there long. You want to maximize your experience by finding the coolest place to live possible within your budget. You speak just enough of the language to get yourself into deep trouble. You'll be in town for 3 weeks in a hotel before your stuff gets there, so you have time. There is no such thing as a central listing like an MLS, and realtors don't talk or share info.

You can search on your own for a cool place, ensuring you don't look at anything you're not interested in. Or you can shell out about $2500 to a relocation agency who knows the area inside and out, and who will take your criteria and line up a series of apartments to view, and accompany you on the visits as someone on your team, but it's a one-shot deal--take one of the ones they've found, or pay another fee for another round of visits.

Trust to luck, or trust to someone else?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Skaw
posted 11-18-2005 01:41:23 AM
Only you really know what you want, despite how much you tell someone what you're looking for. Fly it solo.
LeMiere
posted 11-18-2005 01:54:09 AM
I'd, in general, suggest paying professionals... but for that kind of money, I think either way you find yourself in a scary situation.

Doing the best you can at gathering information about the area is the best option I could imagine in that situation. Maybe ask other home-owners for advice... go to a coffee shop near a neighborhood you like and just strike it up with a local. The questions may be a bit personal on a financial level, but I'm sure they wish they could have talked to someone first too.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-18-2005 01:58:18 AM
If you would be there longer, i'd go with professionals.

As it is, go with your own luck $2500 bucks will help make the experience more memorable IMO.

Anakha
my standards skyrocket when im on my keyboard heh
posted 11-18-2005 03:49:14 AM
Shoot the hostage, because you can get the ransom anyway.
"Buzz Beer, the beer of attainable women!"
"You try balancing a cow on the end of a fencepost to wield it like a club. Thats a physical damn challenge!"
"The only problem i have is too much aggro."
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 11-18-2005 04:03:29 AM
Pay the professionals: If I'm not going to be there long, I want to stay somewhere nice so I'm not too stressed out about whether I'll be shot in the street on the way into my house.
Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 11-18-2005 04:21:27 AM
I'd say go on your own. If you were going to be there for a bit, sure, consult with an agency, but you tell them what you want, and that's all you get. You may miss out on an awesome, quirky place because it has something you didn't list on your 'wants'.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 11-18-2005 06:25:36 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Pirotess:
So, you're moving to a very cool location, but won't be there long. You want to maximize your experience by finding the coolest place to live possible within your budget. You speak just enough of the language to get yourself into deep trouble. You'll be in town for 3 weeks in a hotel before your stuff gets there, so you have time. There is no such thing as a central listing like an MLS, and realtors don't talk or share info.

You can search on your own for a cool place, ensuring you don't look at anything you're not interested in. Or you can shell out about $2500 to a relocation agency who knows the area inside and out, and who will take your criteria and line up a series of apartments to view, and accompany you on the visits as someone on your team, but it's a one-shot deal--take one of the ones they've found, or pay another fee for another round of visits.

Trust to luck, or trust to someone else?

How long are you going to be there? Six months to a year or longer than a year?

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-18-2005 06:38:32 AM
If this is say for that move to france, I would shell out the extra cash, Mostly because you really have little knowledge of the area, would suck to get a pad in a bad nieghborhood, or next to like annoying french political activists, or something like that. Unless this is an issue were the 2500 is hard to give up.

Peter fucked around with this message on 11-18-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 11-18-2005 07:59:31 AM
I say talk to the US Embassy wherever you are
They will give you free advice and prolly help find you "REALLY SWEET" pad or something
Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 11-18-2005 08:15:56 AM
If the agency is really good, then I'd pay the $2500. Unless you specifically enjoy searching for housing, it'll take up a good amount of freetime with tedious work.

Much easier to say "I have these requirements, find me something good".

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-18-2005 10:51:13 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Gee absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
How long are you going to be there? Six months to a year or longer than a year?

I'll be there 18 months.

And for whoever asks, the $2500 isn't a hardship at all.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 11-18-2005 11:50:18 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about pies:
I'll be there 18 months.

Reminds me of my father's mantra while he was still Air Force.

"Goddam Officers!"

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-18-2005 11:55:42 AM
quote:
Bloodsage screamed this from the crapper:
I'll be there 18 months.

OK. Can I have $2500 from you, then?

I'll use it to fly to France, and, through a combination of shouting English very slowly, baguette fights, and, of course, sodomy, I'll find you the best apartment in the whole country.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-18-2005 12:14:53 PM
I didn't say I was happy to part with $2500--I just said it wasn't a hardship.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 11-18-2005 02:52:10 PM
That's enough time to where having the pros take a swing at it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Just pay attention to what they're doing and where they're looking so that if you don't like the options they provide you could then look into it yourself with a bit more info on the matter.

All depends on how comfortable you feel with the language though. Also on how much English is spoken in France. Might be you find people who speak English better than you speak French and that could help a lot.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-18-2005 02:53:17 PM
quote:
Bloodsage has sealed the pact
I didn't say I was happy to part with $2500--I just said it wasn't a hardship.

I still think you should give it to Karnaj for his sodomy adventures.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 11-18-2005 03:03:10 PM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Mr. Parcelan with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
I still think you should give it to Karnaj for his sodomy adventures.

I'll even throw the baguettes into the sodomy mix!

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 12-03-2005 02:33:50 AM
Hot damn!
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
SunGryphon
Nub nub nu...THWACK!
posted 12-03-2005 03:22:36 AM
You come stay with MEEEEEE!
Nub, nub me do.
~+~+~
Nub... nub... nub!
Nub is all doo need!
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 12-03-2005 03:12:56 PM
$2500

I would do it on my own, but then again, $2500 is more money than my bank account ever sees.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-03-2005 04:03:31 PM
Well, looks like I'm going to have to shoot the hostage.

Given the expense and uncertainty involved, we've decided to go with the relocation service, who made me a pretty good deal. There's just too much potential to get screwed if we do it wrong, and the $2500 gets us help finding a place we like, doing the all-important inspection, understanding the lease, and setting up utilities. I know that all sounds easy, but things are different over there.

Now back to saving my pennies; signing a lease looks like it'll take close to $20k in hand. Most of it'll end up reimbursable. . .but that doesn't ease the initial sting.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 12-03-2005 11:00:26 PM
Since BS is never wrong no matter waht he decides it will be the right choice. Honestly I'd have guessed He would fly solo and trust to his own expertise, again he never makes mistakes so it would have to work out just peachy for him.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-03-2005 11:40:33 PM
quote:
Jackman startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
Since BS is never wrong no matter waht he decides it will be the right choice. Honestly I'd have guessed He would fly solo and trust to his own expertise, again he never makes mistakes so it would have to work out just peachy for him.

Like any reasonably successful person, I am correct much more often than not. When I do make a mistake, I take steps to correct the problem and then I move on. You make it sound like success is something to be ashamed of, and being correct is scandalous.

Remember: it's not vanity if it's true.

The lesson, of course, is that this is just another example of someone who doesn't know how to think trying to score points with an emotional appeal that doesn't even stand cursory examination. "Onos! He's always right. That's bad."

If the worst criticism you can level is that I'm never wrong, I'm having a hard time feeling bad about it. Who do you think more people would trust with important advice, or to lead in an emergency--me, or you?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-03-2005 11:42:26 PM
quote:
SunGryphon startled the peaceful upland Gorillas by blurting:
You come stay with MEEEEEE!

And that's the best idea anyone's had yet! Can Vernal come, too?

Edit: corrected the typo.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 12-03-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 12-03-2005 11:45:39 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about pies:
And that's the best idea anyone's had yet! Can Vernal come to?

Quoted so that we may all bask in the rare moments that Bloodsage misspells something.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-03-2005 11:47:52 PM
Well given the inspection and setting up the utilities, it's still a huge amount to me, but at least there's more than just finding the place which is what I thought at first.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-03-2005 11:48:11 PM
quote:
Quoth Mr. Parcelan:
Quoted so that we may all bask in the rare moments that Bloodsage misspells something.

No, I was. . .asking for medical advice. . .she's actually unconscious as we speak. . . .

I blame trying to type while lying on the floor with my computer. And, of course, not proofreading when it posts like I usually do. Sucks not having any furniture.

Jackman
posted 12-03-2005 11:50:47 PM
quote:
This one time, at Bloodsage camp:

If the worst criticism you can level is that I'm never wrong, I'm having a hard time feeling bad about it. Who do you think more people would trust with important advice, or to lead in an emergency--me, or you?

It's likly the only one I can submit that anyone around here will agree with. Who would more people trust?

Why of course they would trust BS, heck if you had been the son of god we could have gotten past that whole last supper nonsense and gone straight to the rapture.

BS > Jackman? you bet.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-03-2005 11:52:51 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Lyinar Ka`Bael squealed:
Well given the inspection and setting up the utilities, it's still a huge amount to me, but at least there's more than just finding the place which is what I thought at first.

There's actually quite a bit invloved--and it is expensive--but finding the right place will be key to enjoying our short time in Paris. The last thing we need is to overlook something and get screwed, making our stay a running gun battle with the landlord over the apartment.

The assumptions are simply all different, there. For example, kitchens don't include anything except a sink as standard. So we specifically need to look for a place that has cabinets and appliances in the kitchen, which is not standard. I'm sure there are other little "gotchas" out there, and I want someone on my side, given how much money we're talking in rent.

Jackman
posted 12-03-2005 11:52:59 PM
BS...The Hank Hill of Evercrest.

Jackman .. the Dale Gribble of Evercrest.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 12-04-2005 12:57:12 AM
Gah! Not even cabinets?

Yeah, sounds like you're taking the right path. Who knows if you could forget some small thing and then your stay would be miserable.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 12-04-2005 01:57:23 AM
That's what put me over the edge in accepting the extra fee. Oh, well--a couple more months of pain, and then the fun begins! Well, January won't be too horrible, since the AF will be paying my hotel bill and per diem while I search for a place.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 12-04-2005 02:30:15 AM
quote:
Jackman had this to say about Robocop:
BS...The Hank Hill of Evercrest.

Jackman .. the Dale Gribble of Evercrest.

Remember the thanksgiving episode at the airport?

Evercrest = Hank, Bobby, Peggy, and Luane.
You = Bill.

Kaiote fucked around with this message on 12-04-2005 at 02:30 AM.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
SunGryphon
Nub nub nu...THWACK!
posted 12-10-2005 10:16:20 AM
quote:
Bloodsage was naked while typing this:
And that's the best idea anyone's had yet! Can Vernal come, too?

Bring whomever you want as long as you come too

Nub, nub me do.
~+~+~
Nub... nub... nub!
Nub is all doo need!
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: