EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Random Historical Trivia Thread
Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-08-2005 01:21:43 PM
Post whatever weird historical tidbits you have here!

The word "assassin" actually comes from an ancient Moslem word: "hashishin," which is derived from the word "hasish," which is the arabic word for marijuana!

Back during the Crusades, the hashishin were employed by Moslem rulers to try and off their competition for leadership of the Moslem movement. They were said to build up their courage by smoking copious amounts of weed, hence the name.

Lashanna
noob
posted 11-08-2005 02:00:47 PM
Early nerd and scientist/mathematician Tycho Brahe lost his nose in a duel of rapiers. He tried to replace it with a copper substitute.
Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
UBT
Pancake
posted 11-08-2005 03:09:04 PM
Contrary to popular belief, no evidence has ever been found to show that Vikings actually wore horned or winged helmets.
OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 11-08-2005 04:21:50 PM
Nobody know the origin of dogs. ( not a specific breed, but dogs in general)
SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 11-08-2005 04:22:35 PM
Members of the Nazi SS had their blood type tattooed on their armpits.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Norim Stumpfighter
Milkmaid
posted 11-08-2005 04:39:41 PM
Canada declared national beauty contests canceled as of 1992, claiming they were degrading to women.

crazy canucks!

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 11-08-2005 04:55:32 PM
President Tyler died of Diarreah.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
OrangeBrand
By a Truck
posted 11-08-2005 05:11:50 PM
The story of the Alamo and David Crockett is being debated due to a finding of a Mexican Soldiers journal.
SPELLCHECK is a four letter word.
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-11-2005 02:07:55 AM
The hamburger was invented by the ancient Romans.
Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 11-11-2005 03:37:45 AM
In 1985 Hans Hölzel released Rock Me Amadeus.

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 11-11-2005 04:14:14 AM
Washington monument sinks at a rate of 6 inches per year.

Davey Crockett never wore a coonskin cap.

In 1994, scientists discovered a volcano under 1.2 miles of ice.

in the 1840s, French criminals could not be arrested from sundown to sunup.

A lantern in the Buddhist tomb of Kobo Daishi has been burning for over 1100 years.

In Bram Stoker's original novel, Dracula had a mustache.

World's first vending machine dispensed holy water (Egypt, AD 100)

The first Encyclopedia Britannica, published in 1771, was only 3 volumes long.

Lincoln's grandfather, also called Abraham, was killed by a gunshot wound.

By English law, the phrase "Time immemorial" means history before the reign of Richard I.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 11-11-2005 04:24:42 AM
quote:
Azakias spewed forth this undeniable truth:
Washington monument sinks at a rate of 6 inches per year.

I.

IT also used to have a platinum crown/lighting rod. Once while some scaffolding was up for cleaning someone stole it. It was never replaced.

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 11-11-2005 03:20:01 PM
I thought it was aluminum.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 11-11-2005 03:26:55 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
I thought it was aluminum.

It is.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 11-13-2005 06:15:39 AM
Since I'm in a mood!

Many Scots take pride in the fact that the Romans, one of the earliest empires, could not conquer them, instead building Hadrian's Wall to keep them out of Briton.

Well, the Brits did a helluva job of it.

Back during the earlier times of Scottish revolution, many Scots took hold in the nigh-impenetrable Sterling Castle. King Edward (I think that was his name) also dubbed "Hammer of the Scots," decided he would be the first to flush them out.

To this end, he had several trebuchets and catapults created, the largest of which was a massive behemoth called Ludgar the War Wolf. The Scots, in plain view of this construction, saw Ludgar being built and surrendered without a fight.

The Hammer, upon recieving this, was infuriated at the idea of not putting Ludgar to the test. He immediately tore up their plea for peace and ordered Ludgar to be fired. One stone collapsed an entire wall of Sterling Castle, after which he then demanded and consequently accepted their surrender.

Ian Benjamin
Pancake
posted 11-13-2005 09:48:58 PM
Cool bit of history there Parce, I enjoyed it. Are you of English/Scottish heritage or did you find that information by chance during studies of war history?

Forgot I should probably add a fact:

So-called "ninja" swords were historically neither straight, nor chisel-edged as most modern day reproductions. Chokuto, the straight blades of Japan, were merely the ancient beginnings of blades used by both Samurai and Ninja alike.

Ian Benjamin fucked around with this message on 11-13-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Ian Benjamin
(MJER)

Everything ever taught to you by Jim Bob of Billy Bob's Black Belt Emporium is a lie. Now, tie your obi UNDER the hakama and try again.

Peter
Pancake
posted 11-14-2005 12:01:29 AM
Montana out of all the western states had the bloodiest history of vigilantism, In fact the State troopers have 3-7-77 on their patches which is what the vigilance committees used to put on your door, it meant get out or find yourself in a 3'x7'x77" hole in the ground, and hell Helena has a vigilante day parade every year
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 11-14-2005 12:29:38 AM
Here's a shout-out for our favorite obnoxious orange dude:

Despite Marine Corps pride in being an amphibious force, the US Army has made far, far more amphibious assaults in actual combat.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 11-14-2005 01:01:30 AM
During World War 2, there was a POW camp in Phoenix, Az. The German POWs asked the Americans to let them build a volleyball court, and the Americans agreed. Using the digging tools given to them to make the volleyball court, they dug out a tunnel that ran under the walls, a ditch, and then under a road. Anywhere from 25 POWs escaped. One group had a makeshift canoe, which they carried to the nearby Gila River. Unfortunately for the Germans, they didn't know that rivers marked on maps in the south western U.S. may not always be running. All 25 POWs were recaptured.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 11-14-2005 01:29:08 AM
The death of Edgar Allen Poe is a mystery; he was found delirious in a gutter by a saloon and died several days later.

Captain John Smith, perhaps most famous for his role in the Jamestown colony, was once captured during action in... oh hell, I don't remember. Somewhere east of Europe. ANYWAY, he eventually escaped and literally fought his way across the continent to return home; his service as a mercenary kept him in food, equipment, and money.

Andrew Jackson was the first United States President to veto a bill based on political and financial grounds rather than on Constitutional grounds only. Specifically, he vetoed a bill for the recharter of the Second National Bank of the United States, which he (rightly) believed was a corrupted and monopolizing institution.

Christopher Columbus was once removed from his office as a colonial governor and imprisoned on charges of abuse of authority.

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: