EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Argh!
Holden
French Cocksucker
posted 11-02-2005 03:39:06 AM
I just purchased WoW, cause my roomate and good friend at college play it. I've played EQ/DaoC before, so I figured I'd easily become hooked to this! The problem I feel I am suffering is.. I find no joy or urge to level any character. The classes seem to dull to want to level, has anyone else experienced this?

"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you..."
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 11-02-2005 04:33:42 AM
Kinda. But then I was playing for 5 months already.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 11-02-2005 06:31:35 AM
Yeap. I kinda meandered through about fifty levels and finally quit. PvP seemed pointless and I never really found a decent guild on my server, so eh.

If you're not having fun, I'd say just quit.

Zair
The Imp
posted 11-02-2005 07:59:52 AM
Might be more fun if your roomate is willing to make an alt and level with you I suppose.

Also, most of the classes are somewhat dull to play from at least lvl 1-10, when their abilities are pretty limited.

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 11-02-2005 09:04:31 AM
Maybe take a break and read a few forums, get a game plan down and find some stuff you want to see.

Leveling for levelings sake is not rewarding once you realize that you're not getting anything out of it but bigger numbers.

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 11-02-2005 10:06:33 AM
What classes have you tried? One of the beautiful things about WoW is that every class has a very distinctive playstyle, once you reach level 10 or 15 your abilities are starting to flesh out.
Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-02-2005 10:21:37 AM
quote:
Blindy. had this to say about Duck Tales:
Maybe take a break and read a few forums, get a game plan down and find some stuff you want to see.

Leveling for levelings sake is not rewarding once you realize that you're not getting anything out of it but bigger numbers.

This is correct. For me, the only time this game hasn't bored me to death was with a goon guild on a brand new server.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 11-02-2005 10:33:01 AM
I know how you feel. WoW has a pretty low retention rate. Especially once you get into the 40's, as class development just becomes a grind of updated old spells, filling in talent points around the edges, and continually upgrading gear. Constantly soloing. Wearing out instances' linear progression. Most players get hooked in level 1-20, but drudgery does kick in at some point. Once that happens, community is one of the key retention factors; something WoW scores rather low on unless coming from an established guild.

However, since your hump is initial awe, I'm rather confused. Because compared to most games I've played, WoW has the most involving and interesting 1-20 progression in most MMOs.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 11-02-2005 10:52:19 AM
You could try doing something constructive instead.
Lashanna
noob
posted 11-02-2005 11:02:58 AM
I can't stress enough how important it is to have a solid group to play with.

I played EQ forever and only got up to 48, because I didn't have a solid group of friends until I transferred to play on Torv with some EC friends (hi guys!) and then I made level 54 in like a week.

WoW, I went from level 10 to 58 in like a month (back when all this stuff was still new) because I had some friends to play (including mr. pessimistic Cobalt up there). I have since been in a couple of decent guilds and it's made playing much more enjoyable.

That being said, now that we've beaten BWL and most every monster in the game but one(hi Lethon), and PvP is nonexistant on our server, I'm finding the same feeling you do.

Except I have a good reason.

Dad's going to kill you. Really. He is.
Mod
Pancake
posted 11-02-2005 11:11:56 AM
quote:
Lashanna impressed everyone with:
I can't stress enough how important it is to have a solid group to play with.

I played EQ forever and only got up to 48, because I didn't have a solid group of friends until I transferred to play on Torv with some EC friends (hi guys!) and then I made level 54 in like a week.

WoW, I went from level 10 to 58 in like a month (back when all this stuff was still new) because I had some friends to play (including mr. pessimistic Cobalt up there). I have since been in a couple of decent guilds and it's made playing much more enjoyable.

That being said, now that we've beaten BWL and most every monster in the game but one(hi Lethon), and PvP is nonexistant on our server, I'm finding the same feeling you do.

Except I have a good reason.

I agree with this 100%. I had a permagroup in EQ and during the first two months of WoW after release and it was an incredible help in keeping the game fun and myself motivated. After everyone from the group but me quit, I found it harder and harder to slog through the levels on my second character (since the first one was stranded on a shitty server) until I finally quit.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 11-02-2005 12:22:34 PM
I've had to take breaks from the game when the people I used to group with showed less interest in the game, but I also think being in a friendly, close guild with plenty of good people helps a lot as well.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 11-02-2005 12:40:54 PM
Indeed, guild is oh so very important

Honestly I think one of the best bets would be to, if you wanted, wait for a new server to come out then make a char that interests you there and level up with everyone else, find a guild forming of cool people and build it all up

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 11-02-2005 12:44:38 PM
What they said. Every break I've taken from WoW so far (I can think of three or four) has been brought on by my 'regular group' deciding they need a break as well.

It's very hard for me to play this game without my friends.

That said... play a few classes into the low teens. Most classes get some 'defining attribute' at level 10 (Warriors get Defensive, Druids get Bear Form, Rogues get Dual Wield, Hunters get their pets, etc), so getting to 14 or so gives you a good feel for the basics of the class. If you can't find anything you enjoy, WoW may not be for you.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Addy
posted 11-02-2005 01:11:23 PM
Set groups rule.

Honestly though, don't try to force yourself to play WoW or anything. If you try to force yourself to like something, more often than not you'll just wind up hating it even more.

If you do want to try to enjoy it, see if your roommate and/or friend would be willing to level up another character with you.

Maradon!
posted 11-02-2005 02:39:04 PM
If you don't like the game, by all means, quit.

The game doesn't even start until 60, though.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 11-02-2005 03:52:53 PM
quote:
Maradon! was listening to Cher while typing:
If you don't like the game, by all means, quit.

The game doesn't even start until 60, though.

You sure? That's where it ended for me.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 11-02-2005 04:27:41 PM
Maradon's mindset is appropriate for people who have just recently (as in, with a newer MMO release) been able to start participating in raiding.

Cobalt's mindset is appropriate for those who raided back in original EQ, and could give a rat's ass about doing it in every other MMO that comes out that they play. I happen to fit into his mindset as well.

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 11-02-2005 07:10:57 PM
Play Alliance on Dark Iron. Honestly, the newbie levels don't have much PvP at all. I've gone from level 1 to 22, seen only two Horde in Alliance lands, and NONE in contested lands. One of those Horde was a level 6 Tauren in Elwynn, the other was a level... 22? Troll hunter killing a quest mob south of Sentinel Hill. I killed them both, although I had to improvise a bit for the troll, seeing as though I was 18 at the time.

I was half-expecting to be ganked left and right, now that I'm levelling in contested areas and have been flagged in Alliance areas before, but I've been the one doing the ganking.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Maradon!
posted 11-02-2005 09:57:03 PM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Densetsu who doth quote:
Cobalt's mindset is appropriate for those who raided back in original EQ, and could give a rat's ass about doing it in every other MMO that comes out that they play. I happen to fit into his mindset as well.

That makes a lot of sense - after all, if you beat one FPS there's no point in playing any other FPS, right? If you beat one real time strategy game there's no point in playing any other real time strategy game, right?

If you think the game ends once you ding 60, maybe you shouldn't be playing MMO's at all.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-02-2005 at 09:58 PM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 11-02-2005 10:15:24 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Captain Planet:
If you think the game ends once you ding 60, maybe you shouldn't be playing MMO's at all.

Its all based on what you're looking for. The storyline, quests, exploration, character advancement (beyond items) all stop shortly after 60. All you have left is raid grinding for a better carrot... erm, better gear... and PvP. Many people are burned out or don't have the time for all the raid grinding and PvP isn't viable on many servers, is imbalanced in general, and has little/no reward. In that case, the game ends at 60 unless you want to start another character.

If you think the game starts at 60, you're what's wrong with MMOGs. Raid grinding that has a steep time requirement and imbalanced PvP with little/no reward should not be what a game should be about.

Maradon!
posted 11-02-2005 10:56:57 PM
quote:
Peanut butter ass Shaq Talonus booooze lime pole over bench lick:
Its all based on what you're looking for. The storyline, quests, exploration, character advancement (beyond items) all stop shortly after 60. All you have left is raid grinding for a better carrot... erm, better gear... and PvP. Many people are burned out or don't have the time for all the raid grinding and PvP isn't viable on many servers, is imbalanced in general, and has little/no reward. In that case, the game ends at 60 unless you want to start another character.

If you think the game starts at 60, you're what's wrong with MMOGs. Raid grinding that has a steep time requirement and imbalanced PvP with little/no reward should not be what a game should be about.

Sorry, but everything you've said here is completely out of touch with reality. You've made no point whatsoever. All the high level instances have very good story lines, they're adding new quests practically every patch, and gear is just as rewarding in terms of character advancement as leveling is.

You can run ZG a couple hours at a time, and if you think PVP is more than trivially imbalanced then you don't know how to play your class.

If you think the game ends at 60, then you're burned out and deliberately ignoring some of the most fun parts of the game.

If the level 60 game isn't fun to you, then no MMO ever made will be fun to you. Stop wasting your time and go pick up an FPS.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 11-02-2005 at 11:01 PM.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 11-02-2005 11:34:09 PM
quote:
Maradon! probably says this to all the girls:
If the level 60 game isn't fun to you, then no MMO ever made will be fun to you. Stop wasting your time and go pick up an FPS.

Yes because obviously nobody ever levels an alt at anything less than top speed.

Stop stating your opinion as fact.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 11-03-2005 12:19:13 AM
quote:

Yes, all MMOs are about zerging hallways for gigantic shoulderpads. I shall go shoot polygons. No wait, I'll play a game I enjoy

quote:
Many people are burned out or don't have the time for all the raid grinding and PvP isn't viable on many servers, is imbalanced in general, and has little/no reward. In that case, the game ends at 60 unless you want to start another character.

This time I agree with you old man Hit the nail on the head for me.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-03-2005 12:33:19 AM
Why does PvP need a reward? It's fun because it's actually fighting players. FPS games don't have rewards but people play them anyway. Would people still be playing CS 1.6 if it were just bots? Nah. It's fighting other players that keeps it fun. Many consider the leveling and equipping yourself to be preparation for PvP. Battlegrounds are too limited at this point, though, so that sort of sucks. Also, world PvP is dead.
Flea
Pancake
posted 11-03-2005 01:18:49 AM
quote:
Kegwen probably says this to all the girls:
Also, world PvP is dead.

They ruined it the moment they made civilian DK's count towards honor. I had a DK that knocked down half my honor bar. Hell, you don't even need to do damage to the NPC to get a DK, you just have to be in the raid. One person's accidental AE can destroy a day's worth of honor for an entire raid. And because of this, no more TM/SS zerg fests

Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 11-03-2005 04:03:40 AM
Honestly, I've been feeling the same since I hit 60. I suddenly feel like there isn't much left to shoot for but better gear. At least with EQ, once I hit 60, I still had AA's. I could faction grind in WoW but given their are no real factional Engineering plans outside of Gnome vs. Goblin, there's no real point there.

It's because of that perspective that I've been having trouble leveling an alt.

I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-03-2005 06:37:26 AM
quote:
Kegwen had this to say about Knight Rider:
Why does PvP need a reward? It's fun because it's actually fighting players. FPS games don't have rewards but people play them anyway. Would people still be playing CS 1.6 if it were just bots? Nah. It's fighting other players that keeps it fun. Many consider the leveling and equipping yourself to be preparation for PvP. Battlegrounds are too limited at this point, though, so that sort of sucks. Also, world PvP is dead.

An FPS also doesn't have continual progression of your character as one of the central points of the game. You can jump in, play, and have all the same weapons and such as other players without having to play for weeks on end. Do you think as many people would play an FPS if they only were able to start with a pistol and everyone else had all the big uberguns because they played more?

If all I wanted to do was kill other people, I'd go and play an FPS. However, I want to do things to advance my character when I'm playing and it would be nice if PvP had some rewards or some overall purpose.

DAOC, for example, had relics. Relics were nice and provided a good bonus to your side. Having massive relic raids with 100+ combatants on each side (I think the most I saw was about 200 attacking our relic keep once) was a blast and gave PvP a purpose other than just going out to kill people.

Falaanla Marr fucked around with this message on 11-03-2005 at 06:38 AM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 11-03-2005 06:51:40 AM
quote:
So quoth Maradon!:
Sorry, but everything you've said here is completely out of touch with reality. You've made no point whatsoever. All the high level instances have very good story lines, they're adding new quests practically every patch, and gear is just as rewarding in terms of character advancement as leveling is.

You can run ZG a couple hours at a time, and if you think PVP is more than trivially imbalanced then you don't know how to play your class.

If you think the game ends at 60, then you're burned out and deliberately ignoring some of the most fun parts of the game.

Bullshit, the high level instances don't have nearly the amount of quests that you got pre-60. Story? Very little of it. Advancement via gear? Pre-60 the game focused on advancement via quests. Post-60, it focuses on advancement via raid grinding.

I'll give you an example actualy. It took me 42 UBRS runs to see a wildheart vest drop (and thankfully win it). It took me 20+ LBRS runs to get wildheart shoulders (3 dropped in that time). It took me 30+ Strath runs to get wildheart pants (2 dropped in that time. I raided Scholo over 40 times and never even saw a wildheat cowl, let alone got one. And this is the "easy" set to get. If you think any of that type of grinding was necessary for anything pre-60 or had the same time/reward ratio, then you're playing a different game.

I'll give you ZG, but its relatively new and its not the high end. MC and BWL both takes heavy time commitments. If you think PvP is balanced in WoW, you haven't played enough classes. Hell, you haven't PvPed enough period if you think its balanced in WoW.

I think the game many were playing ends at 60. A new game begins that focuses on raid grinding. Many want that pre-60 game back. Personally, its why I spend my limited MMOG time in DAoC right now. No need for a FPS.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 11-03-2005 10:01:49 AM
quote:
Azymyth had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Honestly, I've been feeling the same since I hit 60. I suddenly feel like there isn't much left to shoot for but better gear. At least with EQ, once I hit 60, I still had AA's. I could faction grind in WoW but given their are no real factional Engineering plans outside of Gnome vs. Goblin, there's no real point there.

It's because of that perspective that I've been having trouble leveling an alt.

Yea, because EQ had AA's at release. Wait no... How about a year after release? Oh yea, that's still a no. WoW will get to the endless grind that for whatever reason you crave so deeply just give it a year or three.

Vorago
posted 11-03-2005 10:58:44 AM
quote:
Falaanla Marr had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
If all I wanted to do was kill other people, I'd go and play an FPS. However, I want to do things to advance my character when I'm playing and it would be nice if PvP had some rewards or some overall purpose.

So, uh, what exactly do you term as 'rewards' to PvP aside from mounts... weapons... armour... trinkets... inventory items like potions and Horde/Alliance Standards. They have covered a whole lot of bases there, heh.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 11-03-2005 12:48:24 PM
quote:
Vorago had this to say about Punky Brewster:
So, uh, what exactly do you term as 'rewards' to PvP aside from mounts... weapons... armour... trinkets... inventory items like potions and Horde/Alliance Standards. They have covered a whole lot of bases there, heh.

From what I've seen, for me to get any decent reward, I'll have to sink far more hours into PvP than I would into, say, just raiding. Not to mention, the stats I've seen on most items don't compare to the better PvE type sets.

So why should I PvP if time spent vs reward is much better by just raiding?

Vorago
posted 11-03-2005 12:57:04 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Falaanla Marr said:

Uh, because PvP is downright fun?

Willias
Pancake
posted 11-03-2005 01:09:21 PM
quote:
Falaanla Marr probably says this to all the girls:
From what I've seen, for me to get any decent reward, I'll have to sink far more hours into PvP than I would into, say, just raiding. Not to mention, the stats I've seen on most items don't compare to the better PvE type sets.

It isn't that hard to get to PvP rank 7 or so, where the rewards actually start for pvp.

I am (or at least was, haven't checked the character since Tuesday) a level 50 Knight on Dark Iron.

Vorago
posted 11-03-2005 01:14:20 PM
quote:
From the book of Willias, chapter 3, verse 16:
I am (or at least was, haven't checked the character since Tuesday) a level 50 Knight on Dark Iron.

So, uh, by knight you mean paladin I assume?

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 11-03-2005 01:15:10 PM
quote:
Vorago got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
So, uh, by knight you mean paladin I assume?

No, Knight is a PvP rank. Same as Blood Guard, I think.

Vorago
posted 11-03-2005 01:15:49 PM
quote:
El Cuchillo's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
No, Knight is a PvP rank. Same as Blood Guard, I think.

Ahhh, k, normally see people follow up their level with their class

Led
*kaboom*
posted 11-03-2005 03:24:52 PM
Hay look I am back to playing DAoC again!

Despite all of the new whizbang MMOs that come out, I always come back to this one.

Whyyyy!#%^ *bonks head on desk*

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 11-03-2005 04:13:43 PM
quote:
Vorago thought about the meaning of life:
Ahhh, k, normally see people follow up their level with their class

True, except this time it wasn't relevant to his point.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 11-03-2005 06:22:00 PM
quote:
Vorago wrote this then went back to looking for porn:
Uh, because PvP is downright fun?

Bingo!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: