EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Miers withdraws as Supreme Court nominee
Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-27-2005 10:20:46 AM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/10/27/national/w063935D67.DTL

Wow. I'm shocked. Here I was ready for long battle with Bush refusing to back down on the matter, and she goes and tenders her own resignation from consideration.

Guesses on the next nominee? I think he'll pick another woman, but not a minority. Seems like we'll have criticism coming out the yin yang no matter where he goes.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 10-27-2005 11:05:09 AM
Thank god. I never liked this nomination. I thought it was a huge mistake from the start, but figured it was going to turn into a long drawn out battle.

I am not really sure who his next nominee will be. Some names are already flying around but who know. I agree that it will be a woman but am unsure beyond that.

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-27-2005 11:16:31 AM
quote:
Azizza had this to say about John Romero:
Thank god. I never liked this nomination. I thought it was a huge mistake from the start, but figured it was going to turn into a long drawn out battle.

I am not really sure who his next nominee will be. Some names are already flying around but who know. I agree that it will be a woman but am unsure beyond that.

Yeah I agree. She was a terrible choice. She had no bench experience, which isn't necessarily a prerequisite for not getting the job, but given that a great deal of the significant work she HAS done has involved Bush, and she wasn't willing or able to talk about that stuff...how the hell he ever thought he could shoehorn her in is beyond me.

Plus it was frankly like a bad joke. "You guys can trust her, I know she'll never change" WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE. Jeez. Then he has the balls to tell us they never talked about any of the conservative issues people in the legal profession talk about. Give me a break. If you're giving us another Thomas or Scalia, don't try to hide it.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
posted 10-27-2005 11:38:20 AM
Saw it coming.

Nominees are declining left and right because of the third degree they're getting from the left over Roe V. Wade.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-27-2005 12:27:54 PM
quote:
Maradon! painfully thought these words up:
Saw it coming.

Nominees are declining left and right because of the third degree they're getting from the left over Roe V. Wade.

Yeah, that's exactly why most people didn't like her.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-27-2005 12:30:17 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop said this about your mom:
Yeah, that's exactly why most people didn't like her.

That's not what he said. He said that other canidates won't even start the process because of all the crap they would get put through. Miers wasn't Bushes first choice. It's just everyone above her on the list said no.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-27-2005 12:33:49 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Naimah:
Miers wasn't Bushes first choice. It's just everyone above her on the list said no.

Where did you hear that?

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-27-2005 12:34:56 PM
Give me awhile and I'll find some sources.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-27-2005 12:44:05 PM
I'd be awfully surprised if that were true, otherwise you'd figure there would have been a lot of "bottom of the barrel" comments about her if she was selected due to a lack of options.

I mean, has there ever been one judge that has even implied they wouldn't want to serve on the Supreme Court because Roe v. Wade makes confirmation too much of a hassle? To me it sounds like a lame excuse to blame Bush's nomination of Miers on them damn lie-brals and their unfair intimidation tactics.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-27-2005 12:46:29 PM
Scratch that. There is the article.

Naimah fucked around with this message on 10-27-2005 at 12:49 PM.

Maradon!
posted 10-27-2005 01:16:45 PM
quote:
JooJooFloping:
I'd be awfully surprised if that were true, otherwise you'd figure there would have been a lot of "bottom of the barrel" comments about her if she was selected due to a lack of options.

THERE WERE.

quote:
I mean, has there ever been one judge that has even implied they wouldn't want to serve on the Supreme Court because Roe v. Wade makes confirmation too much of a hassle? To me it sounds like a lame excuse to blame Bush's nomination of Miers on them damn lie-brals and their unfair intimidation tactics.

It's not Roe V. Wade specifically that makes these judges decline, it's the bullying and smear tactics that the left subjects any candidate who they suspect might not legislate from the bench in their favor to. Did you even listen to the harassing bullshit that Ted Kennedy and Harry Reid put Brown through?

Incidentally, the Miers nomination was widely regarded as caving to the left on the part of GWB. She was actually a fairly liberal candidate.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 10-27-2005 at 01:19 PM.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-27-2005 01:23:30 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Naimah:
Scratch that. There is the article.

quote:
Some Supreme Court candidates withdrew from consideration but that had nothing to do with President George W. Bush's eventual selection of White House lawyer Harriet Miers, the White House said on Wednesday.

quote:
A senior administration official said it was "just a couple" of candidates who had withdrawn from consideration.

quote:
McClellan said Rove told Dobson that "some individuals, when the list was longer, well into the double digits, had said that they preferred not to be considered" because they did not want to deal with "the ordeal of going through the confirmation process."

So, a couple candidates from a list of many preferring not to be considered equates to:

quote:
Miers wasn't Bushes first choice. It's just everyone above her on the list said no.

Fuck, whoever was left on that list must have been really shitty.

Mod
Pancake
posted 10-27-2005 01:28:25 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Captain Planet:
It's not Roe V. Wade specifically that makes these judges decline, it's the bullying and smear tactics that the left subjects any candidate who they suspect might not legislate from the bench in their favor to. Did you even listen to the harassing bullshit that Ted Kennedy and Harry Reid put Brown through?

Incidentally, the Miers nomination was widely regarded as caving to the left on the part of GWB. She was actually a fairly liberal candidate.

Roe V. Wade is not the current precedent in matters of abortion.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-27-2005 01:42:24 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Tron:
THERE WERE.

Cronyism != Bottom of the Barrel

Not even Ann Coulter would say there was nobody better Bush could have chosen because no one wanted to put up with the hassle of confirmation.

quote:

Those big bullies. Keeping all the good judges from wanting to be on the Supreme Court.

For fuck's sake, these are grown ass people being considered for the Supreme Court. They're not children who cry to their mommies when faced with the slightest harassment from those who disagree with them. And did you mean to say Roberts instead of Brown? Brown deserves any shit he got from anyone.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 10-27-2005 02:08:20 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by JooJooFlop:
Those big bullies. Keeping all the good judges from wanting to be on the Supreme Court.

For fuck's sake, these are grown ass people being considered for the Supreme Court. They're not children who cry to their mommies when faced with the slightest harassment from those who disagree with them. And did you mean to say Roberts instead of Brown? Brown deserves any shit he got from anyone.

You're right they are grown adults. Which begs the question is it appropriate for the Senate to allowed to harrass these people enough that they would give up the highest position it is possible for them to obtain in their carriers just so that they can avoid the ordeal?

Blindy.
Suicide (Also: Gay.)
posted 10-27-2005 02:09:42 PM
quote:
Naimah + Naimah = 2Naimah:
You're right they are grown adults. Which begs the question is it appropriate for the Senate to allowed to harrass these people enough that they would give up the highest position it is possible for them to obtain in their carriers just so that they can avoid the ordeal?

If the job isn't attractive enough for them to deal with some hard questions then I thank god they didn't have the balls to go for it.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-27-2005 02:15:28 PM
quote:
Naimah spewed forth this undeniable truth:

Ideally, no. But that's politics for you. Odds are that anyone who would be considered for a nomination to the Supreme Court has already been through more than enough shit in their career that Ted Kennedy prying about their views on abortion wouldn't even cause them to bat an eye.

UBT
Pancake
posted 10-27-2005 02:53:30 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael had this to say about John Romero:
Yeah I agree. She was a terrible choice. She had no bench experience.....

Everyone says this, but I remind you that 41 previous Justices never had bench experience, Justice Renquist being one of them.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-27-2005 02:55:38 PM
quote:
UBT probably says this to all the girls:
Everyone says this, but I remind you that 41 previous Justices never had bench experience, Justice Renquist being one of them.

I like how you missed the partial sentence directly after what you quoted that made your post moot.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 10-27-2005 02:58:38 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I like how you missed the partial sentence directly after what you quoted that made your post moot.

I like how you make mod alerts reporting people for bad behavior and then proceed to act like a sassy whore wherever you go.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 10-27-2005 02:59:51 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Robocop:
I like how you make mod alerts reporting people for bad behavior and then proceed to act like a sassy whore wherever you go.

Oh, but I don't call them flaming faggots when doing so.

I thought that a key difference. Edit: Plus I was mostly joking.

Delphi Aegis fucked around with this message on 10-27-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 10-27-2005 03:07:20 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Delphi Aegis!
Oh, but I don't call them flaming faggots when doing so.

I thought that a key difference. Edit: Plus I was mostly joking.

oh lay off it. this is the internet. flaming faggot is not a harsh insult

YOU FLAMING FAGGOT

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 10-27-2005 04:19:20 PM
quote:
UBT had this to say about Robocop:

I specifically said that not having bench experience wasn't on the list of prerequisites to not get the job. Granted, my use of a double negative was probably unnecessary, but I could frankly care less about bench experience if there were other significant things you could look to in order to draw opinions on a candidate.

Unfortunately, as I said, Miers' big problem was that everything significant she did that one could look at to get a feel for her was tied intimately to the President, and therefore was priveleged information they didn't want to share.

So...what do we have going for her? One man (albeit the President of the United States) essentially saying "hey guys, you'll like her, I know her really well, but we never talked about anything legally significant despite her being my legal counsel since I was a governor, and even better she'll NEVER CHANGE, EVER!"

I'm not irritated about her politics either way. I'm irritated we wasted time and money for this badly-orchestrated attempt in the first place.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 10-27-2005 04:25:25 PM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Optimus Prime:
Saw it coming.

Not tired of blaming everything on the left yet I see.

From everything I read, the GOP was giving her almost as much crap as the left was. She was universally disliked by both parties, and for good reason.

quote:

Which makes no sense whatsoever. Bush's entire re-election message was "I stick to my guns and dont compromise what I feel is right". Now, when he doesn't have to worry about re-election, you're saying that he is caving into the left? /boggle

Reynar fucked around with this message on 10-27-2005 at 04:27 PM.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 10-27-2005 04:45:13 PM
The primary reason Miers withdrew today was because a speech she made in 1993 came out yesterday in which she expressed clear pro-choice views. The White House is using the "we don't want to break executive privilege" thing as an excuse to save face.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 10-28-2005 11:35:29 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about (_|_):

The Miers nomination was based on the fact that Bush personally likes Miers. Just you keep blaming anything up to and including the bad weather on the left, though.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: