EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Poor melee omg.
Addy
posted 09-22-2005 02:01:35 AM
If you haven't seen it yet for any reason:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=4981387&p=1&tmp=1#post4981387

quote:
The mechanics of most instant melee attacks will be modified to improve item balance upon the release of patch version 1.8. Currently, instant melee attacks do damage based on the damage range of the weapon, plus a bonus for the player’s attack power. This bonus is then multiplied by the speed of the weapon. As a result, slow weapons do more damage than is intended, and fast weapons are considered inferior by most players. We are changing the way the attack power bonus is calculated for instant attacks. This change will NOT affect attack power calculations for normal melee attacks. Instead of multiplying by the speed of the weapon, the attack power bonus will be multiplied by a fixed number pulled from the following table:

Two-handed weapons: 3.3
Daggers: 1.7
All other one-handed weapons: 2.4

As a direct result of this, many weapons will shift position in their relative power. In particular, many epic (purple) quality items will now be more powerful than slower superior (blue) weapons. For the purpose of instant attacks, the Arcanite Reaper and the Barman Shanker will drop slightly in relative power, while Typhoon and Alcor’s Sunrazor will increase in power.

We expect to see the total damage output of a Mortal Strike warrior go down about 4% with the Arcanite Reaper, and up about 4% with Typhoon. We expect the total damage output of a Backstab rogue to go down about 2% with the Barman Shanker and up about 2% with Alcor’s Sunrazor.

This change was not made to reduce the power of instant attacks, but to correct the relative imbalance of weapon itemization. At a given level requirement, epic quality weapons should always be more powerful than superior quality weapons.

Please also note that all normal weapon swings will be completely unaffected by this change. The following abilities are affected by the design change: Sinister Strike, Ambush, Backstab, Whirlwind, Mortal Strike, and Overpower.

Poor MS warriors.

Addy fucked around with this message on 09-22-2005 at 02:04 AM.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 09-22-2005 02:08:56 AM
I feel your pain, rogues. Pet Stealth isn't as neat as I thought it would be.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Addy
posted 09-22-2005 02:10:25 AM
I don't mind the nerf as much since it affects dagger rogues the least. I do wonder why they're not doing something like this for hunters?
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 09-22-2005 02:14:41 AM
quote:
Addy stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I do wonder why they're not doing something like this for hunters?

Like what? We don't really have any attacks that work like those that were nerfed (or buffed, I suppose, if you had fast weapons).

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-22-2005 02:16:30 AM
My poor level 43 swordrogue!

Our one (Of only two!) Vis'kag Rogues is bitching now. :/

Sean
posted 09-22-2005 02:17:57 AM
*bends over*
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 09-22-2005 02:18:26 AM
Honestly, good. Alot of two handed weapons were way too goddamn powerful just because of overpower/MS. Don't know enough about rogues to comment about the change for them.
Sean
posted 09-22-2005 02:21:57 AM
quote:
This one time, at Ferret camp:
Don't know enough about rogues to comment about the change for them.

Combat specs are gonna eat it more than Dagger, but it's still an entirely unneeded kick in the balls.

My math sucks, but I'll be dropping ~60ish damage on all my backstab and ambushes.

Addy
posted 09-22-2005 02:25:35 AM
I dunno. I just like complaining about hunters.

This change hurts the shanker (and to a degree rank 14) rogues the most. You lose .3 speed for attack calculations, which is very noticeable for a dagger rogue. I'm not a math whiz so I won't do the calculations, but I'm pretty sure people have them up or will have them up on the rogue builds.

Speaking as a rogue with MC/BWL gear, it won't affect me much. Oh sure, my dagger is 1.8... but the cap is 1.7. Not much of a difference if you ask me there. There will be a little bit of a damage nerf, but nothing to the extremes of the shanker. Overall, we're still in good shape.

In a way, this is evening out rogue and warrior damage. While we're not hit with a huge nerf, a lot of warriors are. I for one don't mind this. But it's still a band-aid fix... and funny how this is revealed after people bitch and moan about the Zul'Gurrub 2h sword. Oh well.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 09-22-2005 02:28:26 AM
Hunters have nothing but more special pet abilities in their future.

Look at the bright side, when all the other classes are re-tuned we're gonna still have our old shit and be like "Awwww, we want new toys."

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 09-22-2005 02:30:48 AM
Wonder how much dps will go up for the really low speed weapons. If it's alot there's going to be a shit ton of fury warriors popping up.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-22-2005 02:34:08 AM
quote:
Ferret stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
Wonder how much dps will go up for the really low speed weapons. If it's alot there's going to be a shit ton of fury warriors popping up.

I think that's the plan.

Dal'Rend's set + 15 str to each + Fury Warrior = GOD WHAT THE HELL!

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 09-22-2005 02:35:49 AM
quote:
Delphi Aegis attempted to be funny by writing:
I think that's the plan.

Dal'Rend's set + 15 str to each + Fury Warrior = GOD WHAT THE HELL!

Fuck Dal'rends, I'll take the ZG set.

Addy
posted 09-22-2005 02:40:54 AM
Fury warrior will = new FotM?
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 09-22-2005 02:44:29 AM
quote:
Addy said this about your mom:
Fury warrior will = new FotM?

what

And thinking about it it won't alter a Fury Warrior's DPS all that much, except for slightly more with Overpower.

Sean
posted 09-22-2005 02:44:40 AM
Fury warrior has been flavor of the month since July. They're going to last for a long while.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 09-22-2005 02:46:45 AM
quote:
Sean enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
Fury warrior has been flavor of the month since July. They're going to last for a long while.

Flavor's about wearing off for me.

Although it's funny that nobody noticied for two straight weeks in ZG.

Sean
posted 09-22-2005 03:23:59 AM
I liked that Arshus heard it on Vent and started trying to find faults in it, though. Such a silly man he is.

Blackened
posted 09-22-2005 03:54:02 AM
This really isn't a big change. 4-5% damage loss is not so incredible.

Slower weapons are still better (just by not as much), faster weapons still suck.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 09-22-2005 04:21:01 AM
quote:
Sean stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
*bends over*

The good thing about this: Price for weapons like Krol should drop as chineese farmer demand drops.

The bad thing about this: Fuck, now I *REALLY* need a good main hand sword.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
-----------------------------------
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 09-22-2005 08:22:21 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop was naked while typing this:
Hunters have nothing but more special pet abilities in their future.

Look at the bright side, when all the other classes are re-tuned we're gonna still have our old shit and be like "Awwww, we want new toys."

And pet nerfs ;p

They'd nerf Multishot/Aimed shot if they were to change it for hunters. Instant cast shots are the reason why the crossbow from BWL is about 1.5 times better than the epic bow

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Alaan
posted 09-22-2005 10:35:41 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Captain Planet:
I feel your pain, rogues. Pet Stealth isn't as neat as I thought it would be.

Find any decent use for it at all?

I think NE hunters got the best of it though. Could be a bastard in the BGs with you Shadowmelded and the pet stealthed.

Blackened
posted 09-22-2005 11:34:17 AM
quote:
Alaan.
I think NE hunters got the best of it though. Could be a bastard in the BGs with you Shadowmelded and the pet stealthed.
Not only that, but Shadowmeld doesn't break until Aimed Shot actually fires.

3 second cast time? Who cares.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-22-2005 11:36:51 AM
I enjoy my Orc Warrior traits, though. With it, I become a serious problem to 95% of the Alliance (Rogues).

Of course that means I am OVERPOWERED because I can kill Rogues pretty easily!

Scissors, meet rock >:[

Blackened
posted 09-22-2005 11:52:08 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan.
I enjoy my Orc Warrior traits, though. With it, I become a serious problem to 95% of the Alliance (Rogues).

Of course that means I am OVERPOWERED because I can kill Rogues pretty easily!

Scissors, meet rock >:[

Warriors are rock to rogue's scissors anyway.

Regardless, I am envious of the Orc racial. It is very handy because it seems to go off like 50% of the time.

edit - math zomg

quote:
Assuming 1100 attack power/0%ac Mortal Strike top 5;

#1.) Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros - 682/1638/2293 enrage crit

#2.) Rank 14 PVP Weapons] - 672/1614/2260 enrage crit

#3.) Bonereaver's edge - 667/1602/2244 enrage crit

#4.) Spinal Reaper - 663/1593/2230 enrage crit

#5.) The Untamed Blade - 650/1561/2186

Honorable mentions;

The Unstoppable Force - 620/1488/2038 enrage crit

The Nicker - 581

Nightfall - 638/1532/2145 enrage crit

Arcanite Reaper - 594

Earthshaker - 623

Obsidian Edged Blade - 647

Dreadforge Retaliator - 584

Oh and for those wondering about Zin'Rokh..

Pre 1.8

[item]Zin'rokh, Destroyer of Worlds[/item] - 701/1684/2358 enrage crit

Post 1.8

[item]Zin'rokh, Destroyer of Worlds[/item] - 630/1513/2118 enrage crit

Blackened fucked around with this message on 09-22-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Led
*kaboom*
posted 09-22-2005 01:14:30 PM
Fury is FOTM? All I ever hear about is MS this and MS that ;x Well crap... I hate being a FOTM spec
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: