EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: What are your thoughts on ghosts?
Author
Topic: Ghosts
Mr. Parcelan
posted 09-16-2005 07:45:42 PM
Do you believe in them?

My curiosity is sparked from watching the Ghosts of Gettysburg and I like to poll EverCrest since we have a wide range of freaks, scholars, sociopaths and religious nutcases.

So, be as specific or as vague as you want. I even included a poll so you can answer anonymously and Bloodsage won't make fun of you.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 09-16-2005 08:00:09 PM
Ghosts don't exist. They're just a way to explain freak events like my mother leaving a cooking pan outside.
Sean
posted 09-16-2005 08:01:33 PM
My option is not listed. So I'm gonna rape some fucker's AOL bandwidth.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 09-16-2005 08:03:08 PM
I don't believe in them as belief in ghosts presupposes a belief in an afterlife, which I lack.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 09-16-2005 08:05:36 PM
Sure I do, just like I believe in angels, goblins, witches, zombies and a Satan who has nothing better to do than to fuck around with people.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 09-16-2005 08:18:24 PM
One of my suitemates was just talking about how in November (or maybe for Halloween) he's got reservations for Lizzie Borden's. He plans to sleep on the exact spot where the mother's body fell, and bring a Oujia board (he's going with a friend apparently).

He's an otherwise normal guy though. Or at least, otherwise normal as far as superstitions go anyway. As far as I know.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-16-2005 08:19:58 PM
Yes I do, and have seen one.

I wish I hadn't.

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 09-16-2005 08:26:21 PM
I've seen one, I suppose. I would normally say "I'd reserve judgement for when I've seen one", but well yeah

She didn't say much.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Alaan
posted 09-16-2005 08:34:16 PM
I've never seen anything, but at my original house it wasn't unknown to hear someone walking up the stairs at night when no one actually was. Stopped when you turned a light on.

Was a 100+ year old house that was originally a school house!

Alaan fucked around with this message on 09-16-2005 at 08:34 PM.

Mod
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 08:47:50 PM
I don't believe in an afterlife and thus can't believe in ghosts.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 09-16-2005 09:01:59 PM
quote:
Hey, Alaan, wanna come back to my place, get high, watch Barbarella and eat an entire bag of puffed rice?
Was a 100+ year old house that was originally a school house!

... weirdly, mine's pretty much the same. We still have the old blackboards/corkboards and pencil sharpeners attatched to strategically unwise areas of the house.

Conclusion: schools make ghosts. Remain uneducated to be free of them.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 09:05:09 PM
quote:
Mod had this to say about dark elf butts:
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Mightion Defensor
posted 09-16-2005 10:17:39 PM
I believe, especially after my sister's "magic formula" and my brother-in-law Charlie's "I'm Not Going In The Basement at Night Ever Again, Dammit" stories - they live in my grandparents' old house, and after hearing them, I'm quite convinced ghosts exist.

I don't go out of my way to try to encounter one - as my brother once said after a bad experience with a Ouija board; "If I don't fuck with the supernatural it won't fuck with me."

Bloodcookie
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 10:53:05 PM
I wouldn't say that the existence of ghosts necessitates any kind of an afterlife; they could simply be an as-yet unrecognized physical phenomenon. That being said, I've never experienced one, and won't believe in them until I do.

""...destructive analysis of the familiar is the only method of approach to an understanding of fundamentally different modes of expression." -Edward Sapir, Language
Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 09-16-2005 11:20:24 PM
I do belive in ghosts. Have seen what some would consider evidence of ghosts.

But I think 99.5% of ghost sightings are made up, or easily explained.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-16-2005 11:22:01 PM
quote:
Quoth JooJooFlop:
Sure I do, just like I believe in angels, goblins, witches, zombies and a Satan who has nothing better to do than to fuck around with people.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 09-16-2005 11:32:50 PM
Ghosts are just people wandering around while their corpses get camped.

Seriously though:

quote:
Mod had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-17-2005 02:43:34 PM
It really does boil down to a question of religion. If one is religious, not believing in ghosts is pretty much hypocrisy; if you're not religious, there's absolutely no evidence to support their existence.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 09-17-2005 02:52:11 PM
No evidence.

Which translates to "No".

Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 09-17-2005 02:52:40 PM
While I don't know if ghosts exist or not, I do have an irrational fear of them. The basement of my house is very dark and whenever I go down there I always feel like something is down there watching me. It disturbs me so much that I try never to go there at night and when I do I'm always afraid that I'll see something. The strange thing is, I never told anyone about that but both my father and uncle told me that they feel the same way when they go down there.
There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
Azymyth
Not gay; just weird
posted 09-17-2005 05:28:03 PM
I believe there may be ghosts. I haven't seen anything concrete yet but I've heard things that make me wonder. I'm convinced that the movie theater I used to work at is haunted.
I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember Shit.

Sig pic done by the very talented SJen!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-17-2005 06:03:22 PM
Speaking as a scholarly sociopath, I'd like to believe it's real. I lean towards it, even if it means I'm weak and want there to be something beyond what I can sense and reason out.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Maradon!
posted 09-17-2005 06:05:01 PM
I only believe in ONE ghost
Bajah
Thooooooor
posted 09-18-2005 12:12:23 AM
I'm not sure I so much believe in ghosts as I believe in people being so emotionally charged at some point that they can leave an impression on a place.

Like the pace itself has a memory, not so much as the people's ghosts still being around.

Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 09-18-2005 01:38:12 AM
While I'm not totally convinced, I've encountered some weird stuff that makes me wonder. I've occasionally noticed figures in my peripheral vision in old places that aren't there when I look fully in that direction. Most recently was in the old tower of Edinburgh castle.

My grandparents owned a 100+ year old farm house in Vermont which was haunted. Grandma claimed it was a poltergeist, as she saw some picture frames flipped over upon returning to a room after she saw them upright when she left and nobody else was in the house, and other pictures would fall off the wall despite being practically bolted there.

Never saw anything like that when I visited with my family, but one of the two nights we stayed over I woke up with dried blood all over my teeth. My mom insisted that it could happen if your gums were dry enough, but it never happened before and has never happened since. That and there were inexplicably cold places in the house in the middle of summer. Suffice to say I'm glad they moved out of that place almost ten years ago.

"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 09-18-2005 04:38:45 AM
Back in college I shared a house with 4 other people and a ghost. We all had experiences with him over the course of the time I lived there. I personally never had any problems with him, though he managed to freak out one of my housemates to the point that the guy moved out the next day.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 09-18-2005 12:57:03 PM
My parents were killed by ghosts.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Steven Steve
posted 09-18-2005 01:15:34 PM
I'd say at our level of existence it's impossible to know of an afterlife or ghastly realm or anything of the like. I don't believe in ghost encounters, but I'm also not sure if there are "ghosts" or not.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-18-2005 01:31:28 PM
I find it hilarious that there are so many testimonials "proving" the existence of ghosts. . .yet it's never been done scientifically. "Damn science! I felt really creepy in my basement, once, so I believe," seems a really odd thing to say. It's like people who try to justify their religions; it's pointless and more than a little silly. They should just be up-front that the believe is in spite of and not because of the evidence, is by definition irrational, and quit trying to "prove" it to others.

Steven Steve
posted 09-18-2005 01:47:42 PM
Yes. As far as I'm concerned, ghosts/religious sightings can only really occur out of the power of suggestion.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-18-2005 02:05:43 PM
quote:
Bloodsage said:
I find it hilarious that there are so many testimonials "proving" the existence of ghosts. . .yet it's never been done scientifically. "Damn science! I felt really creepy in my basement, once, so I believe," seems a really odd thing to say. It's like people who try to justify their religions; it's pointless and more than a little silly. They should just be up-front that the believe is in spite of and not because of the evidence, is by definition irrational, and quit trying to "prove" it to others.

Well there's always two sides to a coin, there are the people who try to ram their disbelief down other people's throats when it cannot be proved or disproved with 100% certainty.

diadem
eet bugz
posted 09-18-2005 02:05:44 PM
my first reaction was "if you don't vote 5, you are simply crazy." though I read sage's post about the religious basis, and i agree with that (though it didn't change my statement).

Thinking about it more, I can't figure a scientific expelnation as to why I'm self-aware.... not that it changes my mind at all, but it does leave a gap of possibilities

play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Steven Steve
posted 09-18-2005 02:19:56 PM
I don't think humans are really "self-aware," per se, they're just intelligent enough that they've realized there's something they can't know for sure.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-18-2005 02:49:33 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Mortious gently hums:
Well there's always two sides to a coin, there are the people who try to ram their disbelief down other people's throats when it cannot be proved or disproved with 100% certainty.

There's the fallacy: one needn't disprove something to say it doesn't exist; one must prove it to say that it does.

Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-18-2005 02:52:32 PM
quote:
Bloodsage said:
There's the fallacy: one needn't disprove something to say it doesn't exist; one must prove it to say that it does.

Dancing flying fairies live on the other side of the galaxy and I refuse to believe otherwise until you prove it wrong.

Suddar
posted 09-18-2005 02:55:40 PM
I've been "sure" I've seen ghosts in the past, but I know I really haven't. Our perception of the world around us is completely subjective. All we're doing is interpreting energies around us, and there's a lot of ways to interpret them. I've been really sure that a mailbox was a person walking before, and before I realized it was a mailbox my brain saw it as a person walking.
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-18-2005 04:18:37 PM
quote:
Suddar said:
I've been really sure that a mailbox was a person walking before, and before I realized it was a mailbox my brain saw it as a person walking.

Stop talking acid and LSD.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 09-18-2005 05:56:46 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Mortious said this:
Stop talking acid and LSD.

"Acid" is the street name for LSD.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 09-18-2005 06:05:21 PM
quote:
Snugglits said:
"Acid" is the street name for LSD.

He's taking twice as much.

Suddar
posted 09-18-2005 06:06:59 PM
I have bad eyes, and glasses don't help. Yay.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: