EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: In the Air Tonight
Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 09-15-2005 05:40:47 PM
I've always concidered Phil Collins to be an awesome artist. I'm not a huge fan of that style of music, but I could always respect what he put out, and I actually liked a lot of it.

Now if I had to pick a flagship Phil Collins song, in my opinion it would be "In the Air Tonight" but I always thought it needed more power and feel to it, even though it was already an awesome song.

Then, the other day I started seeing promos for a new show coming out called E-Ring. Now, I could care less about the show, it looks rather boring, but during the promo they played a hard rock cover of In the Air tonight, and I just thought it was really cool... So I went to figure out who did it.

It's by the band Nonpoint, off of thier Recoil CD (Awesome CD) and I really love the cover they did of it and how they added the power to it without losing the feel of the original. I still like the original, but I prefer listening to it in my own genre. So it worked out great for me.

Right Click "Save As"

Hopefully server isn't being a bitch.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Sean
posted 09-15-2005 05:58:21 PM
What the fuck are you smoking?
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Trent
Smurfberry Moneyshot
posted 09-15-2005 06:01:48 PM
Sean
posted 09-15-2005 06:02:16 PM
..Seriously, this is horrible. These people are fucking brilliance of In The Air Tonight in the ass and don't even have the courtesy to give a reach-around.

It has absolutely none of the heart of the Collins recording. And the singer sounds so emo my balls began to hurt.

edit

YOU MADE TRENT CRY

Sean fucked around with this message on 09-15-2005 at 06:03 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 09-15-2005 06:05:40 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Sean wrote:
..Seriously, this is horrible. These people are fucking brilliance of In The Air Tonight in the ass and don't even have the courtesy to give a reach-around.

It has absolutely none of the heart of the Collins recording. And the singer sounds so emo my balls began to hurt.

edit

YOU MADE TRENT CRY

Uh... That version of it was the duet version. Phil Collins is singing half of it, as well as backing vocals. He is also doing the keyboard, and he produced the track. It's just louder, darker, and harder than the original.

The song itself is similar is sound to the Cure song off "The Crow" soundtrack.

Edit: As far as the song itself, I prefer the original, but also on top of that, I prefer listening to music in my own genre so it fits in with my playlist without being out of place. Which is what I said.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 09-15-2005 at 06:06 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Sean
posted 09-15-2005 06:07:37 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris's fortune cookie read:
harder than the original.

No, no it isn't. If you've ever actually listened to the original you know what a vengeful, hateful song it is. It's a punch to the gut.

This new one just sounds emo. It's a punch to the balls.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 09-15-2005 06:11:18 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about pies:
No, no it isn't. If you've ever actually listened to the original you know what a vengeful, hateful song it is. It's a punch to the gut.

This new one just sounds emo. It's a punch to the balls.

I'm playing the original right now... And to your comment on the emo vocals.

Overlay... They sound almost identical - edit Vocally - (Probably because, as I said, Phil Collins is actually singing half the song and backing vocals.)

The biggest mistake I think the song makes, is that it starts hard and stays hard, as opposed to the original where it was a lead up to the massive drum hits in the middle.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 09-15-2005 at 06:11 PM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Sean
posted 09-15-2005 06:13:55 PM
It's not hard in any sense of the word, that's the problem. It's softer than the fucking Bee Gees.

The original is hard in a very metaphorical sense, and that is entirely lost on this shitty cover.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 09-17-2005 06:53:27 PM
I'm just waiting for Christian Bale to flip the fuck out and kill someone in this thread.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-17-2005 09:46:16 PM
While "In the Air Tonight" isn't the perfect song, there's absolutely nothing about it that needs changing.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Brahmin Bloodlust
High Priest of Drysart
posted 09-17-2005 09:47:22 PM
quote:
Vorbis had this to say about Duck Tales:
I'm just waiting for Christian Bale to flip the fuck out and kill someone in this thread.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

*puts on a raincoat*

Kermitov
Pancake
posted 09-19-2005 04:46:50 AM
Genesis was never the same without Peter Gabriel.
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 09-19-2005 10:48:45 AM
Not horrible, but not great either. Phil released a live version of In The Air Tonight that's got a harder edge to it. Have to agree with 'Sage though, the original is just one of those tunes that really doesn't need any improving.

Sarudani Miolnir fucked around with this message on 09-19-2005 at 10:49 AM.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: