EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Warcraft 3 - Defense of the Ancients - alive and well
Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-04-2005 12:12:01 PM
This is one of the best and most fun custom map on WC3 for a very long time. You can download the map here on my site. You can also get it at the home site but it goes down quite fast whenever there is a new version out. Vorago and Inferno-Spirit and vouch for me that this is a very addicting map.

-10 player limit (5 for each time).
-Each time has around 30 or more heroes to choose from ( you choose one only ).
-Once you pick your hero you go through one of the 3 pathes to the enemy's base. -Creeps will spawn heading down each path and you have to beat through them to kill 3 super powered towers (each path has 3 towers blocking the way to the base).

All the time the enemy heroes are trying to do the same thing. All the heroes are pretty balanced but there are some that are harder to deal with then others. There are items you purchase with the gold you get for getting the killing blow on creeps/heroes/buildings. Items are very important in this game.

Things you will see trying to join a game of Defense of the Ancients
"DotA 6.14 -ap"
"DotA 6.14 -ar"
"DotA 6.14 -sm"

-ap (-allpick) - this will give all players access to both Sentinel and Scourge heroes at the very beginning to pick from

-ar (-allrandom) - randomly selects 1 hero from the 70+ available in the game

-sm (-shortmap) - Heroes gain +33% more experience and tower's stats are cut by 33%.

You can also use -movespeed to see how fast your character is moving and -matchup to see all heroes on the enemy's side as well as who is controlling them.

Galbadia Hotel - Video Game Music
I am Canadian and I hate The Tragically Hip
Sean
posted 09-04-2005 12:13:43 PM
DotA is so boring. Get some Footmen or Defend the Lich King up in here imo.
A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-04-2005 12:22:14 PM
You shut your faggy mouth Faggy McFagfag. DotA is the King of custom maps.
Sean
posted 09-04-2005 12:23:44 PM
Maybe it's king in QUEERTOWN, NORTH CANADA, but not around here.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-04-2005 12:25:22 PM
Killing other players > Saving an NPC from NPCs
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 09-04-2005 01:30:11 PM
I'll own you guys at DotA any day.

P.S. Frozen Throne names plzkthnx?

Mine is PantslessOclock.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-04-2005 01:57:22 PM
Mine is fairly simple to figure out
Sean
posted 09-04-2005 02:09:10 PM
goatse69 rite?

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 09-04-2005 02:56:31 PM
guys, you need to try -DM..

it's deathmatch, everytime you die, that hero is gone and you get a new hero with 1 level less. It's sick.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-04-2005 02:57:44 PM
I hate deathmatch. I'd rather keep the hero I have.
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 09-04-2005 03:28:05 PM
I played a TON in the earlier of the summer.

The main complaint I have is with public games and the people who leave them in the first few minutes.

Delid, is the fletcher still amazingly stupidly ridiculous?

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-04-2005 03:30:36 PM
Fletcher has not been changed but any STR hero can take him out.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 09-04-2005 04:13:13 PM
Clinx is totally nub. Lycanthrope is the imba
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 09-04-2005 04:54:55 PM
I like doing 1 on 1 dota with Gadani, all random, and deathmatch.

It makes for interesting times.

Gadani
U
posted 09-04-2005 04:56:47 PM
quote:
Fizodeth was naked while typing this:
I like doing 1 on 1 dota with Gadani, all random, and deathmatch.

It makes for interesting times.

Yes.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 09-04-2005 06:14:51 PM
You guys like dota? You guys like boats? Dotaboats.

Battleships Pro.

Anyway, I play a lot of dota myself. I'll be on DrPaintThinner, and I'll jump on later tonight.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 09-04-2005 06:38:05 PM
DotA owns, owns.

Ever since the old creator, Guinsoo, gave up on it and the new guy took over the map entirely, it has gotten miles better

Loading used to take close to 10 minutes

Now it is like 30sec, max.

He added more and decreased the load times by a huge amount, brilliant

Skaw
posted 09-04-2005 06:41:27 PM
Probably trimmed out most of the useless triggers.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 09-06-2005 11:04:19 AM
Guinsoo was a good map designer but a terrible programmer.

The new guy is a better map designer and at least a good programmer.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 09-06-2005 11:55:34 AM
quote:
Manticore's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Clinx is totally nub. Lycanthrope is the imba

Personally, the only hero I personally think is overpowered (I hate Clinks, although he can be dealt with by skilled people) is Leoric.

"Hey guys! It takes 2-3 people to kill me, and I can deal a ridiculous amount of beatdown in the process!"

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-06-2005 11:57:27 AM
DotA is awsome. But the more DotA I play the less WoW I play. That isn't a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 09-06-2005 05:08:23 PM
quote:
This one time, at Lenlalron Flameblaster camp:
Personally, the only hero I personally think is overpowered (I hate Clinks, although he can be dealt with by skilled people) is Leoric.

"Hey guys! It takes 2-3 people to kill me, and I can deal a ridiculous amount of beatdown in the process!"

Lycanthrope: Strength hero with built in bash, attack and movement abilities, and damage buff. Get him life drain for the GG.

Leoric: Slow. has stun and Lifedrain built in. Reincarnation. Never, EVER should leoric die when he has ult or you are incredibly noobz0rz.

They're both pretty imba if you ask me.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 09-06-2005 11:34:06 PM
DotA = sux, duders. There's been a shitload of "omfg get her0 adn fite othar her0z with VERSUS ARMIEZ/1/1 for the futur" maps. DotA is just the same damn thing.

Poke the Angry Ogre is a great map for when you're bored as hell and only have a few minutes. Hard as all shit, too. I have never seen anyone win Poke. It's a simple concept to start: Poke the angry ogre and don't get clubbed, because clubbing = death. However, there just so happens to be a tower that ensnares a random player every few seconds. Fortunately, players can throw rocks at the ogre to stun him, and they can panic (Costs one point, but poking the ogre gives you five) to increase their run speed. It's easy to learn, it's hard as all hell to win, it's fun, the background music is great, and it usually only takes a few minutes. Awesomesauce.

Stronghold TD is kinda neat, as well, although it gets boring quickly. It's like the DotA of TDs. It's the same old "omfg enemy units are coming for your base PROTECT IT W/ TOWARS" TD gameplay, but there's a bit of a twist. Two teams, each are competing against each other. You create units to bolster your income (Permanent boost, so don't hold them back to get money ) and attack the enemy bases, while simultaneously building towers to defend your own bases from the enemy team's units. The entire point is to upgrade your HQ to get better units and tower upgrades, upgrade your towers to better kill enemy units, and train units to both attack the enemy and give you more money to do everything. The thing that I'd say sucks about this map is that there's a definite end, that being when one member of one team gets a DeadEvil tower. Then, they create a single DeadEvil unit, which is practically indestructible (CAN be killed, but it ain't bloody likely) and he runs to the enemy bases and chops 'em up. GG. It turns the game into less of an actual TD and more of an "OMFG GET DEADEVIL TOWER" game. If they could just make the same units increase in power as you upgraded HQ, and have towers and HQ able to be upgraded indefinitely (Is this possible with TFT?), it would be a lot more fun.

Those are the two maps that I usually play. There's also the occasional Legends ORPG in there, but it doesn't need 'splainin'.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 09-07-2005 02:57:46 AM
Somehow, a statement made against DotA in the same post as praise for just another random TD map doesn't hold a lot of water. TD maps are renowned for being majorily mindless and repetitive. I'm sure you don't agree.

Hero vs Hero combat is the basis for Warcraft III and its engine. DotA is the best example of a player community using that engine to the best of its ability.

It has the largest player-base and test group of any Custom Warcraft map. It is getting very, very close to becoming fairly balanced, which is more than I can say for any interesting custom map I have ever played in my life. It has a huge selection of game modes and about 60 very different heroes, most of which have interesting and new ability scripts and graphics. The latest incarnations(v6.0 and above) are programmed well, as they now load and run quickly. Teamwork is valued much, much more than quick leads or item/class combos or even moderate skill level differences, which is something I believe every team-based game should follow.

The biggest downside to the game is that it is not very newbie friendly. If you don't know what you're doing, you probably won't do very well. Knowledge of the item list and hero abilities(and how to use them/fight against them) is very important.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-07-2005 04:19:16 AM
I played some dynasty warriors game that sounds similar to this. I got the slowest fucking attacker (The tauren guy) and was chain-slept by one fuckhead. He'd sleep me, have his creeps ravage crap, beat on me for a few seconds, sleep me again, repeat. I couldn't even run away, and I ran out of anhks.

Whee.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 09-07-2005 10:51:06 AM
So Ruyven claims DotA sucks and then goes on to detail two of the worst sounding maps I have ever heard of for quite some time? Like, was it supposed to be some sort of counter arguement? I really can't figure out what his post was actually trying to accomplish detailing those two maps which I will now, never, out of any amount of curiosity, actually try. I am confused.

There are other maps like DotA, but DotA is the best. Not sure if it was the first but it is pretty close, I remember the original DotA way back when War3 vanilla was brand new.

That is like going "Omg WoW sucks I don't care how good it is there are a ton of other MMOs out there so it sucks!". What difference does it make if there are a thousand crappy imitations of a game, they don't make the game any worse, if anything they improve it by having all of those other games around to show all the mistakes the good one avoided.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-07-2005 12:01:57 PM
Dwarven Sniper owns.

I really like the Spiritbreaker. His skills are awesome but his stats just suck. He can stun lock you for around 4-5 seconds but he just can't damage you fast enough before you can outright kill him. He's a great assistance character with the Lycan or Stealth Assassin but solo he just plain sucks.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-07-2005 12:07:02 PM
Also, trying to kill the Razormain as he is running away is very, very irratating. I had to hit him like 150 fucking times with naix.
Willias
Pancake
posted 09-07-2005 07:37:42 PM
I tried playing this, only to find out: 1) There are a few heroes that really whup ass. 2) I wasn't playing them. 3) You fuck up, and people on your team begin cursing at you and leaving the game.

Bleh.

By the way, my Battle.net name is the same as my EC name/shaman's name in WoW.

Willias fucked around with this message on 09-07-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-07-2005 07:41:51 PM
Once you get to know the items and heroes it is a really fun game. In the beginning is sucked so much.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 09-07-2005 08:01:14 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit had this to say about Tron:
Somehow, a statement made against DotA in the same post as praise for just another random TD map doesn't hold a lot of water. TD maps are renowned for being majorily mindless and repetitive. I'm sure you don't agree.

Had you actually read the post, you'd have seen that I wasn't actually praising Stronghold at all. I don't know how you see "kinda neat, but gets boring quickly" as praise. Some WC3 players like TDs, so I figured I'd post about one I had played.

Poke, however, is awesome, although I also really like Wario Ware/Naked Hero 3-style microgames, so that might be just me.

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
--8-Bit Theater
Sean
posted 09-07-2005 10:45:40 PM
If Stronghold is the one I'm thinking about (North/South six man teams, defend your bases in a Line Tower Wars fashion) then it sucks the mrhands.mpg cock.

That map is bloated and boring, the tedium factor is incomparable to anything short of early non-hero non-upgrade versions of Footman Wars.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 09-08-2005 12:23:57 AM
quote:
Willias enlisted the help of an infinite number of monkeys to write:
I tried playing this, only to find out: 1) There are a few heroes that really whup ass. 2) I wasn't playing them. 3) You fuck up, and people on your team begin cursing at you and leaving the game.

Bleh.

By the way, my Battle.net name is the same as my EC name/shaman's name in WoW.

If you want, Ill host the map and help you get acquainted iwth it, Ill bring Jargum and maybe Gadani along if Gadani stops being a bitch and bitching out of bitchitude and bitchification.

Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 09-08-2005 02:03:24 AM
I actually love Wintermaul Wars. Freaking addicted to it. I'd like to see a similar PvP TD with a more complext landscape as WMW has sort of been done to death. Line Tower Wars sucks completely though. Wintermaul itself is also pretty awful, 9 players means atleast 2 assholes who want to ruin the game for everyone else, and the levels move so slow. Too many TDs have easy easy ground game if you have half a brain and then retardedly impossible air that you have no real hope of stopping.

My problem with DotA is just that I haven't played enough, and people freak out if you show the slightest bit of confusion. I can have the most kills on my team, but people start getting upset with the "noob" if I don't know where certain items are. I haven't bothered to learn where all the items are or know all the good recipes, so I can own up an early game, but as the game gets longer and more gold is acquired, I get left behind.

TDs only get stagnant if you just play to win. Try some mixed up mazes or different races or whatever. Make the most elaborate maze you possibly can and so on.

If anyone's up for Footies, DotA, some sort of TowerD, or something, send me an EC PM or look for me on East as FifthFreedom. I can host if you need to.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 09-08-2005 02:35:43 AM
I think this calls for Inferno Spirit and Vorago to write a FAQ and a little "Help you get started" list.
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 09-08-2005 04:13:45 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Sean said:
If Stronghold is the one I'm thinking about (North/South six man teams, defend your bases in a Line Tower Wars fashion) then it sucks the mrhands.mpg cock.

That map is bloated and boring, the tedium factor is incomparable to anything short of early non-hero non-upgrade versions of Footman Wars.

Yes it is, and it does really start to get boring after about two play-throughs. The only real strategy to the map is to get one of the highest-level tower (DeadEvil tower) as fast as you possibly can, and then start cranking out unkillable units.

--8-Bit Theater
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 09-08-2005 05:30:19 PM
quote:
Fizodeth had this to say about dark elf butts:
I think this calls for Inferno Spirit and Vorago to write a FAQ and a little "Help you get started" list.

I'll do this in a bit.

Aaron (the good one)
posted 09-08-2005 05:31:52 PM
quote:
Inferno-Spirit stopped masturbating to porn to say;
I'll do this in a bit.

You'll play DotA first you rat bastard

Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 09-08-2005 10:05:10 PM
I'm bored. FifthFreedom on U.S. East, I made some sort of evercrest room