EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: WW2 Typewriters
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-03-2005 03:46:02 PM
What type writers were being used to produce the after action reprots during WW2? More specificly did any typewriters in use by the military have the ability to create open and close quotes? I can't seem to figure out anything more then it was a Smith-Corona model and I'm not even sure that is right.
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 09-03-2005 05:10:37 PM
I have a Smith-Corona typewriter of that vintage, and while I'd have to check to be absolutely sure, I'm reasonably certain they only have one quotation key.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 09-03-2005 05:43:22 PM
Why do you ask?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 09-03-2005 05:51:01 PM
Update: Did a little checking, the field portable typewriters used in WWII were made by Royal. Smith-Corona made rifles for the war effort. In either case they only have one quotation mark. Pics of one here.

Sarudani Miolnir fucked around with this message on 09-03-2005 at 05:51 PM.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-03-2005 06:22:23 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when JooJooFlop wrote:
Why do you ask?

Don't want to violate my NDA so can't really tell you specifics. Check out Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood though, it should be a hit.

And thanks Sarudani.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-05-2005 01:14:34 PM
The typewriter used was the Corona No 2 Folding Portable which is claimed to have the open/close quotes. I havn't been able to prove or disprove this though. Learning an annoying amount about the history of typewriters though. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-05-2005 01:33:02 PM
quote:
Bent over the coffee table, Naimah squealed:
The typewriter used was the Corona No 2 Folding Portable which is claimed to have the open/close quotes. I havn't been able to prove or disprove this though. Learning an annoying amount about the history of typewriters though. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, I don't think curly quotation marks hit typewriters until well after WWII. Who is it making this odd claim?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-05-2005 03:05:51 PM
Someone that has been told by those in the 'know' about such things. Thus why I need proof to the contrary. However, finding clean shots of the keyboard on type writers is difficult to say the least.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-05-2005 03:14:09 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Naimah absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Someone that has been told by those in the 'know' about such things. Thus why I need proof to the contrary. However, finding clean shots of the keyboard on type writers is difficult to say the least.

So is this person really claiming mysterious informed backers, or you know the source and can't divulge it? Because even today's standard keyboard layout doesn't include separate keys for opening and closing quotation marks--they were added when typewriters went electronic in the '70s and '80s, and now we rely on software to make it pretty for us.

Further, one needs to ask the question, "What's the point?" Why would a portable typewriter of that era have separate opening and closing quotation marks? If that particular typewriter had it, it was non-standard and one should be able to look up the model and find out what it did differently than others.

There's always a chance I'm clueless, but the standard keyboard layout has been around a long time, and I have trouble buying a WWII-era portable typewriter with an expanded keyboard and more lever arms.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-05-2005 03:30:15 PM
You know, dude, after a quick review of typewriter history, the burden of proof should be on your bud to prove that the machine in question was an exception, rather than on you to prove it wasn't. I can't find a single instance of a mechanical typewriter that used separate quotation marks. The QWERTY layout, and its attendant punctuation keys, has been the standard since the typerwriter was invented. Only in the first few years, before 1900, were different layouts tried. By the time WWII rolled around, typewriters were pretty standardized.

There's simply no compelling reason this particular typewriter would need curly quotes.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-05-2005 03:48:15 PM
quote:
Bloodsage was naked while typing this:
You know, dude, after a quick review of typewriter history, the burden of proof should be on your bud to prove that the machine in question was an exception, rather than on you to prove it wasn't. I can't find a single instance of a mechanical typewriter that used separate quotation marks. The QWERTY layout, and its attendant punctuation keys, has been the standard since the typerwriter was invented. Only in the first few years, before 1900, were different layouts tried. By the time WWII rolled around, typewriters were pretty standardized.

There's simply no compelling reason this particular typewriter would need curly quotes.

He's my boss and thus burdon of proof pretty much automaticly falls on my shoulders. It sucks, but I may just drop it because it isn't worth one invalid bug.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-05-2005 04:26:13 PM
quote:
Quoth Naimah:
He's my boss and thus burdon of proof pretty much automaticly falls on my shoulders. It sucks, but I may just drop it because it isn't worth one invalid bug.

Wow, your boss is an idiot.

Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 09-05-2005 07:46:31 PM
Have you checked out Will Davis' site?

He seems to be an expert on manual typewriters and could very likely give you a definative answer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-05-2005 09:19:52 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Bloodsage wrote:
Wow, your boss is an idiot.

Not really, he's a cool guy. He is just deffering to so called experts. I don't blame him.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-05-2005 10:43:46 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Naimah absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
Not really, he's a cool guy. He is just deffering to so called experts. I don't blame him.

If these were indeed experts, they'd be able to demonstrate their assertion that this particular typewriter--uniquely--offered separate curly quote keys.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-06-2005 08:27:48 AM
use a rotary typewriter with the circular head instead. really screw people up.
"Is that a phone?"
"Shut up, I'm trying to type a report"
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-07-2005 08:17:27 AM
Wait wait. False alarm. Naimah's just trying to get in on this new fad.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 09-07-2005 09:21:07 AM
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: