EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Buying an MP3 Player?
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 12:27:29 PM
Yeah, my Sony Walkman died today at long last, which means I won't be able to wait for Christmas to ask for an MP3 player of some sort. Unfortunately, my job becomes neigh unbearable without some form of portable music player, so replacing my walkman ASAP is a priority.

On that note, I've been looking around, and I'm really liking the iPod mini. It's small, seems very portable, and has a good sized library. I don't think I'd ever need more than 4 gigs of music, so that isn't a big deal, but is there anything else I need to know, or an obviously better choice? The only reason I wouldn't want an iPod is if I could only use songs from Itunes on it, but I'm fairly certain that isn't the case.

My first concern is portability, followed by battery life and durability. I want to be able to stuff my MP3 player into my pocket and forget about it. What do you guys think?

Zaeron fucked around with this message on 09-03-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Gadani
U
posted 09-03-2005 12:36:37 PM
I haven't bought anything from iTunes and I have 803 songs on my iPod.
Blackened
posted 09-03-2005 12:37:09 PM
I've heard a bit of good things about iRivers. Might want to look up on those and find some reviews/iPod mini comparisons.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-03-2005 01:09:16 PM
Get an iPod Shuffle. It holds a boatload of music... as long as you don't need more than one playlist at a time.
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 01:19:33 PM
I second the iRiver suggestion. I have also heard rather good things about the Philips HD100 with aftermarket firmware. I suggest, however, that you research for your own needs.
Y.O.T.C
No longer a Towel Girl
posted 09-03-2005 01:29:57 PM
I-rivers rock, I steal the display model at work when im on break and I think its pretty awsome.
Zaeron
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 01:39:50 PM
Anyone had any experience with the iRiver N10? Seems to fit with my habit of bringing my CD player practically everywhere.
BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 09-03-2005 02:00:16 PM
I'd suggest the Dell DJ pocket. 5gb for $180 at the moment. I have a friend that has an older generation Dell DJ (15gb) and he loves it.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 02:25:37 PM
I hate to be niche, but my plain iPod works just fine for me, aside from the odd battery uncharging thing. I've also heard good things about the iRiver though.

Oh, and the Shuffle scares me immensely. Nothing that small that feels like a hollow piece of plastic should be able to hold so much music. It's seriously frightening It's cool though

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 02:55:49 PM
The iPod isn't bad, I personally dislike the sound quality, but to each their own.
Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 09-03-2005 03:40:19 PM
I found the Rio Carbon (5gb) to be of an affordable price and great quality. I should just have the thing grafted to my arm or something.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 09-03-2005 04:12:56 PM
quote:
Cobalt Katze had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I hate to be niche

what

My iPod's been dropped, stepped on, and who knows what else, and it's still plugging along. It's one of the old second or third generation ones. It sounds just fine to me, but I've never been one to EQ recordings so if you're one of the audiophiles who says they can hear a difference between different types of speaker wire or whatever you might have to check the sound quality yourself.

qwertyu
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 04:18:39 PM
quote:
BetaTested had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I'd suggest the Dell DJ pocket. 5gb for $180 at the moment. I have a friend that has an older generation Dell DJ (15gb) and he loves it.

Ive had two of the first gen's hard drives die on me. I think I remember reading that the newer ones use the same kind/brand so needless to say in a few months I am buying a differant brand.

Little more info, The first one lasted a year, died and I had to talk with tech support to send it back and get a new (refurbished) one that did the same thing a month later.

Edit: The pocket uses a differant hard drive.

qwertyu fucked around with this message on 09-03-2005 at 04:20 PM.

Chugga
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 04:49:25 PM
If you've got your heart set on an iPod mini, just wait a bit. They're speculating September 20th they'll be replacing current mini's with colour screen solid state minis that are 25% smaller, so no hard drive problems to worry about.

They're also saying they'll go for 4 6 and 8 GB.

Burger
BANNED!
posted 09-04-2005 05:09:17 AM
iPod mini: Great interface, decent and LOUD sound, middlin battery life, crappy earbuds included. Many aftermarkey accessories, including pocketdock to connect to external amps providing GREAT sound quality (but makes it bulky).

Rio Carbon: middlin interface (easy for basics, PITA for non-basics), great battery life, good and loud sound, good included buds, integrated mic that can do recording

creative zen micro: good interface, good and loud sound, FM tuner, two batteries you can swap out, decent battery life, decent buds.

They're all good players, and they all have up-sides and down-sides.

Bite me.

No, Really. Bite me.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: