EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Poll: That's nothing! You should see what I do when I'm driving:
Author
Topic: Damn! I Thought Driving And Putting On Make-up Was Bad!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-03-2005 12:58:03 AM
Vernal and I hopped on the motorcycle today and visited the best cheese shop in the universe. Well, on the outskirts of Carmel there was a bit of traffic--which is a bit of a pain on a motorcycle, especially 2-up--and one car in particular was driving oddly. Was a pain in the ass trying to stay behind her at super low speeds, because she sort of weaved a bit, and wouldn't keep the same speed for more than two seconds at a time.

Then I saw the strangest thing.

She was eating while she was driving. What's that, you say? That's no big crime; everybody does it, right? But with chop sticks!!?

I mean, seriously. Eating (what I presume was) Chinese food, with chop sticks, while driving? What's next, hopping in the back seat with the kids to watch a DVD?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 01:17:36 AM
I'll admit to eating Lo Mein Noodles in my car with chopsticks. But not out of one of those goofy chinese take out boxes. That would take two hands. A nice wide styrofoam container makes it nice because I can just place it beside me and grab some noodles just out of the corner of my eye.

I learned as a young kid how to use chopsticks from the Korean wife of my dad's best friend. Quite a lady. Probably one my first crushes as a little kid. She introduced us to sushi before it was but I don't like fish cooked or otherwise.

What's really fun is teaching my little girls how to use them. They try so hard to be like Daddy and get a bit insulted when I just take one from them, stab a chicken puff, dip it in sweet and sour and hand it to them. I tell them that it's a perfectly acceptable way to learn to use them and that I started that way. They don't buy it... so I tell them to starve. My wife and I giggle a bit behind our hands when the finally put the chopsticks down and start using thier fingers. Hunger always wins out.

http://www.bloodfin.net
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-03-2005 01:21:19 AM
I'm quite good with chopsticks, too. . .but that's just insane. Explain that to your grandkids:

"Grandpa, why do you have a patch on your eye? Were you injured fighting pirates?"

"No, son, I was waving a pair of sharp sticks in front of my face while not paying attention to my driving."

"Wow."

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 01:26:44 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Bloodsage was all like:
I'm quite good with chopsticks, too. . .but that's just insane. Explain that to your grandkids:

"Grandpa, why do you have a patch on your eye? Were you injured fighting pirates?"

"No, son, I was waving a pair of sharp sticks in front of my face while not paying attention to my driving."

"Wow."

I laughed too damned hard at that.

I've only done it once and that was in sheer desperation as I hadn't eaten anything all day and had a deadline I needed to get done for work. I didn't get to really enjoy the meal as I was racing home from the Twin Cities after over a week there working in the main office. I was sick of fast food and wanted something tasty.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 09-03-2005 01:36:47 AM
Crazy fuckers...only stuff I'll eat while driving is one-handed things like fries and burritos. Beyond that I follow most laws, with the exception of driving five miles over the speed limit on roads that just feel too slow otherwise.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 09-03-2005 01:40:16 AM
At work the other day there was a green Mustang. My friend and I walked right past it on our way to clock out. Something caught my eye, so I looked (while still walking) into the car. Sitting in the driver's cupholder was a 22ounce can of Steel Reserve--a 8.1% alcohol malt beverage.

I think I'd rather be behind the chopstick driver.

Peter
Pancake
posted 09-03-2005 02:16:46 AM
quote:
Vorbis Model 2000 was programmed to say:
At work the other day there was a green Mustang. My friend and I walked right past it on our way to clock out. Something caught my eye, so I looked (while still walking) into the car. Sitting in the driver's cupholder was a 22ounce can of Steel Reserve--a 8.1% alcohol malt beverage.

My old man taught me and my brothers the correct way to toss a beer can out the window so it will fly strait into the truck bed.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 09-03-2005 02:41:36 AM
quote:
Peter had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
My old man taught me and my brothers the correct way to toss a beer can out the window so it will fly strait into the truck bed.

This thread now has TWO surprisingly funny posts.

Skaw
posted 09-03-2005 04:06:19 AM
quote:
Vorbis had this to say about Matthew Broderick:

Ew. Steel. Cheap, nasty stuff.

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 09-03-2005 10:03:19 AM
The alignment on my truck is too messed up, and most of the roads I end up doing my driving on too messed up for me to do anything with both hands. Not to mention I drive a stick shift, so if I end up having to stop, I kind of need one hand back for a few moments. So I kind of limit myself to snagging a swig of soda out of a bottle, or snacking on some chicken nuggets or fries on the drive. Anything beyond that I don't feel comfortable doing.

Though I have carried out a few conversations on my cellphone while driving. It's rather interesting making a turn, shifting, and talking on the phone all at once. Please note however, that I've never attempted, nor do I plan on attempting, this in heavy traffic. It was all after 10pm on my drive home from work. Which I know doesn't really excuse the fact, but hey.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 09-03-2005 10:56:02 AM
I have to drive with a Parent in the car for another two months

I'm not really sure what kind of driver I will be, but my parents make me really nervous when I'm driving.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 09-03-2005 11:16:05 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Manticore:
I have to drive with a Parent in the car for another two months

I'm not really sure what kind of driver I will be, but my parents make me really nervous when I'm driving.

Heh. I make my mom really nervous when she rides with me.

I've never put on my lip gloss while driving (I usually wait until I'm at a red light). But I am guilty of opening packs of crackers, drinks, or anything else my son needs help with whilst on the road. I don't do it in high traffic or anything, though, and don't plan on starting.

I still think those on their cell phones while driving are the worst. Last week I was almost run off the road going into downtown Indy because some assmunch in a huge truck was not only on his cell phone (right hand) but was trying to hold a cup of coffee and steer (with the left).

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 09-03-2005 01:19:31 PM
My eco-friendly biodegradable plastic car is now powered by the blood of the innocent. It's slightly cheaper.
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 09-03-2005 01:54:54 PM
quote:
When they turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive, Pvednes stammered,
My eco-friendly biodegradable plastic car is now powered by the blood of the innocent. It's slightly cheaper.
Where the hell do you find innocent with blood in them?
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

LeMiere
posted 09-03-2005 02:27:22 PM
I will eat french fries, candies, or chicken tenders. Anything unlike such finger foods is totally out. Won't even eat sandwhiches or burritos- it's too much effort.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 09-03-2005 02:45:35 PM
Back in HS, I would get out of Brain Game practice, hit Taco Hell, and eat tacos with one hand on the way back for band practice.

Otherwise it's just finger foods and drinks that I'll sneak in while driving.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 09-03-2005 03:22:11 PM
I've eaten while riding a motorcycle, but I'd draw the line at using chopsticks to do so.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 09-03-2005 10:25:26 PM
I used to work with a guy that would eat hot oatmeal, out of the pot he cooked it in, on the way to work.

I kept asking him why he didn't just get up 15 minutes earlier, but he insisted he was safe and knew what he was doing.

Because driving with your knees is oh so safe.

Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 09-03-2005 10:27:53 PM
I admit to (exceptionally) rare occasions of juggling cigarette, cell phone, and travel mug. 99.9% of the time... I try to keep it to one of the three, unless we're at a stop light. Then... maybe two!

look out central florida ec'ers! I'm gonna get you!

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 09-04-2005 03:28:14 AM
It's because of behavior like this (eating with chopsticks, and maybe a few of you nuts who have posted in this thread ) that people like me who are alert, capable, and have reasonably well-maneuvering vehicles are limited to such low highway speeds.

Thank you, People Who Ruin It For Everyone Else! You're this week's winner!

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 09-04-2005 04:11:51 AM
I limit myself to eating a cheeseburger from BK, and even then, only when I'm late.

I'll pull into the parking lot at BK to finish my meal.

Fuck. Now I'm hungry for a cheeseburger, some O-rings and a large vanilla shake.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 09-04-2005 07:32:49 AM
Since I drive a stick, I pretty much have to have both hands free at all times, unless I really WANT to shift with NO hands on the wheel. It's doable, but I really try to avoid it.

I tend to speed 5-10, depending on the road and traffic.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-04-2005 12:05:05 PM
quote:
From the book of Lyinar Ka`Bael, chapter 3, verse 16:
Back in HS, I would get out of Brain Game practice, hit Taco Hell, and eat tacos with one hand on the way back for band practice.

Otherwise it's just finger foods and drinks that I'll sneak in while driving.

I have a filthy, filthy mind.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-04-2005 03:00:09 PM
I guess I'm weird. I prefer to wait until I get to my destination so that I can enjoy my meal.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 09-04-2005 04:28:55 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Delphi Aegis said:
Fuck. Now I'm hungry for a cheeseburger, some O-rings and a large vanilla shake.

*giggles immaturely* You said o-rings!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-04-2005 04:33:59 PM
Wow, looks like a lot of people really "love" their manual transmissions!

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 09-04-2005 05:33:37 PM
quote:
Bloodsage thought this was the Ricky Martin Fan Club Forum and wrote:

I know I sure do.

Snugglits fucked around with this message on 09-04-2005 at 05:34 PM.

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 09-05-2005 12:07:37 PM
I'll never own another vehicle that isn't manual if I can help it.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 09-06-2005 11:00:23 AM
quote:
Bloodsage was listening to Cher while typing:

The stick vibrates under acceleration.

Lechium
With no one to ever know
posted 09-06-2005 11:01:47 AM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Kaglaaz How'ler said:
The stick vibrates under acceleration.

Especially if you have a diesel

"The MP checkpoint is not an Imperial Stormtrooper roadblock, so I should not tell them "You don't need to see my identification, these are not the droids you are looking for."
Hostile Makeover
posted 09-06-2005 06:49:45 PM
Right... time to learn how to drive a stick shift.
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 09-06-2005 07:09:21 PM
Xyrra, shouldn't you have learned that 10-odd years ago??
Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Hostile Makeover
posted 09-06-2005 08:50:28 PM
*hangs her head* I've been a deprived girl!

*adjusts her halo*

Xyrra fucked around with this message on 09-06-2005 at 08:56 PM.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 09-07-2005 12:57:10 AM
I admit to driving with a cel-phone/drink combination, and steering with my knees. On several occasions lately I've played Advance Wars DS during stop lights, leaving the gameboy open on my lap while driving.

Until I had found Advance Wars DS, I had been playing PS2 games during stop lights on a 7 inch screen I keep illegally mounted on the passenger-side dash board. During longer trips I've been known to put in DVD's to play, hooking up the PS2 to my car's speaker system to get a surround sound effect. (Normally drink/cel-phones are in use at these times too, again driving with my knees) So far I've had no serious accidents, (Two fender benders in a parking lot, neither my fault as my car was parked at the time.) I just think that since I'm under 21, male, unmarried, and paying the highest possible car insurance rates my agency has to offer to people with spotless driving records; I'll drive how I want to.

Oh, I'm gonna get a yelling-at for that one!

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-07-2005 01:03:13 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Rodent King absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
A bunch of stupid shit.

You are a fucking idiot.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 09-07-2005 at 01:03 AM.

Mr. Gainsborough
posted 09-07-2005 01:06:40 AM
quote:
Rodent King attempted to be funny by writing:
-retard speak-

Get out of my state.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 09-07-2005 01:08:43 AM
quote:
Bloodsage's fortune cookie read:
You are a fucking idiot.

How is it wrong if I put the gameboy/controller down or pause the movie while driving?

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 09-07-2005 01:13:13 AM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Rodent King gently hums:
How is it wrong if I put the gameboy/controller down or pause the movie while driving?

Well, let's see: there's the driving with knees stupidity, there's the playing videogames while driving stupidity (sorry, dipshit, but, "I only do it at stop lights," doesn't absolve you from the need to pay attention to what the hell you're doing), and there's also the lovely, "I pay high insurance rates, so I can be stupid if I want," idiocy.

Take your pick.

Not paying attention while you're driving is fucking stupid. Keep it up and you'll kill yourself or someone else some day. The second one would really be a shame.

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 09-07-2005 at 01:13 AM.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 09-07-2005 01:17:30 AM
What Bloodsage said. I really hate drivers like you, RK.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 09-07-2005 01:24:42 AM
quote:
From the book of Bloodsage, chapter 3, verse 16:
Well, let's see: there's the driving with knees stupidity, there's the playing videogames while driving stupidity (sorry, dipshit, but, "I only do it at stop lights," doesn't absolve you from the need to pay attention to what the hell you're doing), and there's also the lovely, "I pay high insurance rates, so I can be stupid if I want," idiocy.

Take your pick.

Not paying attention while you're driving is fucking stupid. Keep it up and you'll kill yourself or someone else some day. The second one would really be a shame.

How often do you make huge wheel rotations while driving on a straight road? I can't make turns using my knees, so small adjustments on straight roads doesn't seem too complicated for my knees to handle. What's the worst that could happen if I take a turn on my gameboy or something while stopping at a stoplight? The only thing I can think of is missing the light turning green, and making the people (If any) behind me a few moments late. The insurance rate thing is my outlook I guess however stupid it may be, I'm just bitter about that.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: