EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Book Suggestion Request
Big Easy
Pancake
posted 08-19-2005 01:42:00 AM
I've just finished yet another series (The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan, which I highly recommend) and am looking for a good one to start.

I've gone through all of the Robert Jordan books, ditto for Terry Goodkind, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, etc. I tend to gravitate towards sci-fi/fantasy, but I can read just about anything except romance (I like a plot...).

I figured the EC community might give me some ideas for the next time I wander around Half-Price Books trying to walk off the three or four pints I just consumed before trying to drive home.

Thanks in advance!

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Zair
The Imp
posted 08-19-2005 01:51:20 AM
The George R. R. Martin series, A Song of Ice and Fire.

The first book is called A Game of Thrones. The fourth book is finally coming out this November.

The writing quality, characterization, and plot blow most other fantasy writing out of the water. It also is very light in the magic department (making its rare appearances more interesting), and doesn't throw in any cliche humanoid races like dwarves, elves, etc. In other words, it is far from a Tolkein clone.

Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 08-19-2005 02:02:08 AM
This is an older series, might be difficult to find, but I love it to death.

Castle Perilous, by John DeChancie.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 08-19-2005 02:05:21 AM
The Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer.

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 08-19-2005 02:19:12 AM
quote:
Nae had this to say about John Romero:
The Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer.

I think I somehow wound up with the second book of that series (garage sale or something). Wasn't Farmer a protege of Heinlein?

Now if only I can remember these names when I'm drunk.... *madly starts writing down authors on sticky notes and putting them in his wallet*

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 08-19-2005 02:21:00 AM
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein. The second book just came out.

Uhh.. The Beach House, by James Patterson.. It's one of his newer ones, but it's not Alex Cross, so it's actually decent. Oh.. And The Jester too.. VERY not normal for Patterson

Hrm..

Forever, by Pete Hamill. It's... different. But I read the whole book without a cigarette break, so that should say something positive.

Kaiote fucked around with this message on 08-19-2005 at 02:21 AM.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Ares
posted 08-19-2005 02:56:49 AM
Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 08-19-2005 03:27:43 AM
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein.
Veni, vidi, vici
Freschel Spindrift
Caucasian
posted 08-19-2005 04:10:01 AM
Peter F Hamilton's "Pandora's Star".

Unfortunatley his second part, "Judas Unchain", of the Commonwealth series, will be availible in the states around Feburary 06.

Who's that crazy kook that's destroying the world. It's Zorc (That's me) It's Zorc and Pals.
Bakura: Did you forget our anniversary, again? (laughter)
Zorc: Yes, I was busy destroying the world (laughter) Slaughtering millions. (Laughter)
Bakura: That's my Zorc.
The blood of the innocents will flow without end. His name is Zorc, and he's destroying the world.
Tyewa Dawnsister
In Poverty
posted 08-19-2005 07:13:59 AM
Greetings,

I would recommend the following:

David Brin - Uplift Series, Earth, and Kiln People (Sci-Fi)
James Morrow - Only Begotton Daughter, Towing Jehova, Blamless in Abbadon (religious satire)
Tad Williams - "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn", War of the Flowers (fantasy)

"And God said: 'Let there be Satan, so people don't blame everything on me. And let there be lawyers, so people don't blame everything on Satan." - George Burns
`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 08-19-2005 10:36:55 AM
I see Terry Goodkind (sword of truth) in there, but not Terry Pratchett (discworld).
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 08-19-2005 11:07:37 AM
Raymond E. Feist, starting with the Magician series.
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 08-19-2005 12:14:51 PM
If you want to try something a bit different from Fantasy and Sci-Fi try reading Frederick Forsyth. Icon in paticular is a great book.

I'd also recomend Neal Stephenson. While Snow Crash is the book you tend to hear a lot about I preffered Cryptonomicon and Diamond Age. I haven't read any of his newer books though.

This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman is an incredible Sci-Fi book as well. Her Coldfire Trilogy is alright, but not spectacular from what i can remember, although it's been a while since i've read it.

Alaan
posted 08-19-2005 02:35:13 PM
I must fulfill my obligation to mention Glen Cook's Black Company series here. Dark fantasy. Another no fruity races book. Just humans being evil bastards. Even the good guys are pretty nasty fellows.

And second or third or whatever Song of Fire and Ice. Just finished A Game of Thrones and my only complaint it is the end opens up as much as it finishes. Too obviously part of a series.

EDIT: And how is Frankenstein book 2? Have the first and forgot to snag the second at work. Another case of OH GOD CLIFFHANGER YOU BASTARD WRITER.

Alaan fucked around with this message on 08-19-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 08-19-2005 02:58:37 PM
As always, I recommend H.P. Lovecraft.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

LeMiere
posted 08-20-2005 05:39:19 AM
quote:
Karnaj's fortune cookie read:
As always, I recommend H.P. Lovecraft.

Seconded, with much love.

Umm... I'd suggest the Coldfire trilogy crap if I actually liked fantasy. Maybe.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 08-20-2005 08:35:46 AM
Simon R Green Somthing From The Nightside.

enjoyable light reading

Simon R Green

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Lady Delirium
Drysart loves me!
posted 08-21-2005 08:12:36 PM
i just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
it was kinda lame...but it's also kind of interesting...its sci-fi
it might be worth checking out if you like that sort of thing

yes, that is maradon spining around in a chair ^_ ____ _ ^
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 08-21-2005 08:21:10 PM
Neil Gaiman, HP Lovecraft, Jaqueline Carey...
Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-21-2005 08:28:40 PM
quote:
Lady Delirium had this to say about pies:
i just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

I loved that book back in Jr. High, the later books in the series became political thrillers, hard to describe. They were still pretty good, just not sci-fi anymore.

Oh, and I'll second Zair's Game of Thrones books. Amazing writing, makes me laugh at any other so called 'epic' fantasy novels.

My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Steven Steve
posted 08-21-2005 08:35:20 PM
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle/Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami, the Toy Collector by James Gunn, or House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Sean
posted 08-21-2005 09:45:28 PM
quote:
Lady Delirium had this to say about Jimmy Carter:

You should die. You should fall to the ground and die.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

ArchAngel
Not a girl, never will be, no matter how much you may hear differently
posted 08-23-2005 05:31:33 AM
quote:
Naimah had this to say about Tron:
Raymond E. Feist, starting with the Magician series.

Raymond E. Feist

"What power would hell have if those imprisoned there could not dream of heaven?" -Dream, Sandman
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights, and lock the universe behind me as I leave." -Death, Sandman
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Dream, Sandman
Full sigpic image
Niklas
hay guys whats going on in this title?
posted 08-23-2005 07:16:38 PM
The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson starting with Gardens of the Moon followed by Deadhouse Gates.

I will never understand why A Song of Ice and Fire is more popular than this. Gritty epic fantasy (although I must say that the first book is way not as good as the rest.)

Niklas fucked around with this message on 08-23-2005 at 07:17 PM.

MorbId
Pancake
posted 08-23-2005 07:42:57 PM
quote:
And what is a Niklas? A miserable little pile of secrets!
The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson starting with Gardens of the Moon followed by Deadhouse Gates.

I will never understand why A Song of Ice and Fire is more popular than this. Gritty epic fantasy (although I must say that the first book is way not as good as the rest.)

I finally picked this up in paperback, haven't read it yet. As for popularity, part of it may be that the Song of Ice and Fire has been available in the US for much longer.

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 08-23-2005 07:54:57 PM
Everyone should read Ender's Game. There's nothing lame about it, it's awesome. I also highly recommend Ender's Shadow, which is sort of an alternate telling of the book from another POV. Good stuff.
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 08-24-2005 10:07:49 AM
quote:
Niklas had this to say about Captain Planet:

Because A Song of Ice and Fire is more understandable and flows better than Malazan Book of the Fallen. I read Gardens of the Moon and while it was a good book and I enjoyed it, most of the time I was scratching my head and going "What the hell are they talking about?" The author seems to think the reader knows all about his world and so is very light with the connections between things.

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-24-2005 10:28:07 AM
I'm currently reading Kurt Vonnegut Jr's Slaughterhouse Five, and Elliot Leyton's Killing People. Both pretty neat books, and I suggest checking them out. Leyton's focuses on serial killers (He's an anthropologist from Newfoundland) and Slaughterhouse Five is actually rather hilarious, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear you already read it.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-24-2005 03:34:53 PM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Liam absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:
I'm currently reading Kurt Vonnegut Jr's Slaughterhouse Five, and Elliot Leyton's Killing People. Both pretty neat books, and I suggest checking them out. Leyton's focuses on serial killers (He's an anthropologist from Newfoundland) and Slaughterhouse Five is actually rather hilarious, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear you already read it.

I don't really like Slaughterhouse Five, but The Sirens of Titan and Breakfast of Champions are brilliant.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Cherveny
Papaya
posted 08-24-2005 03:35:26 PM
Fantasy:
========
--George R. R. Martin: A Song of Fire and Ice series: Just started reading these. I agree with the others that they are very good.

--China Mieville: Perdido Street Station and The Scar: Very good fantasy books. Amazing use of language for a fantasy author. Highly recomended!

Non-fantasy/Sci-fi: (since you mentioned willingness for other books too.)
===================
--The Lovely Bones (I've forgotten the author, perhaps Seabold, or something like that): A tale of a rape and murder of a young girl, and it's affect in a town, portraying the different ways people can express grief, as told from the point of view of the ghost of the murdered girl.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: