EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: DDO's take on leveling
Talonus
Loner
posted 08-18-2005 09:15:18 PM
Dungeons and Dragons Online will have a new take on leveling in MMOs. In short, rather than the average 60 we see in most MMOs right now, DDO will be cutting that down to 10 levels (with another 10 levels in an expansion) to better emulate D&D. In other words, players will be limited to roughly level 30 at release and spend 3x the amount of time per level. In order to offset this, they will get four guaranteed "cookies" per level.

The question here is if this is a good thing. While players will get more rewards per level, you'll have to spend more time during that levels. You'll have to spend more time killing fluffy bunnies to get to the halfway decent stuff. Furthermore, you won't even get access to the "epic" stuff(if we're really comparing it to D&D) until the first expansion. You'll be relatively limited until then.

Opinions folks? Its an interesting idea, but personally I don't think it will work. In my opinion, Turbine is trying to emulate D&D too strictly. What works in a PnP game doesn't work in a MMO universe. I don't see players wanting to spend 3x the amount of time on one level only to cap out relatively early before you get to the big stuff.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-18-2005 09:32:07 PM
It depends upon how much stuff there is to do at each level. If it really boils down to killing X more fluffy bunnies per level, then yeah, it'll suck. On the other hand, if there's enough content that you can do many different things to spend that time, then no big deal.

I really did try to find that soft, squooshy place inside that would sympathize with the plight of people who spend six or eight or twelve hours a day on videogames and who might be somehow put off by this. . .but failed. The answer to their woes is to get a life, not make MMOs inaccessible to those of us who already have them.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

squee
Pancake
posted 08-18-2005 09:48:55 PM

squee fucked around with this message on 08-18-2005 at 09:50 PM.

uh yea about that.......to much blood in my alcohol system makes me angsty!!!
Sabratiz
Pancake
posted 08-18-2005 09:51:51 PM
Sorry accidentally posted in Squee's account.

Direct quote from the FAQ "Characters will be limited to level 10 in the initial release, divided among four ranks per level. This will provide over 40 moments of advancement". This gives me the idea that it will be sorta like 40 levels upon release with each "rank" being like a lesser version of a level. Probably getting less stuff per rank than you might normally get at a level. But overall it evens out since it will take 3 times the experience per full level, but it will take 3/4ths the normal exp for a rank. So all in all it makes it seem like just as quick as a game such as Everquest. Just my opinion.

pain is temporary but pride is forever
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-18-2005 09:54:29 PM
This really doesn't say anything about the amount of xp it will take to max a character, they could have five levels with every single one taking four weeks of sitting in dreadlands of eleminister and the game would still be a boring grindfest.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Alaan
posted 08-18-2005 10:04:59 PM
Doesn't all youru XP come from quests and not just smashing said fluffy bunnies?

Alaan fucked around with this message on 08-18-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Talonus
Loner
posted 08-18-2005 10:10:24 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Sabratiz wrote:
Direct quote from the FAQ "Characters will be limited to level 10 in the initial release, divided among four ranks per level. This will provide over 40 moments of advancement". This gives me the idea that it will be sorta like 40 levels upon release with each "rank" being like a lesser version of a level. Probably getting less stuff per rank than you might normally get at a level. But overall it evens out since it will take 3 times the experience per full level, but it will take 3/4ths the normal exp for a rank. So all in all it makes it seem like just as quick as a game such as Everquest. Just my opinion.

See, that's kind of smoke and mirror. While there will be four ranks per level (the "cookies I mentioned), you only get increased HP, mana, saving throws, base attack points, etc every level. The rank thing makes it sound like 40 levels over 10 levels; its really 10 levels over 10 levels with 40 enhancements gained over those levels. In other words, the 10 levels will define your advancement while the 40 ranks are diversification for your character.

quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Duck Tales:
It depends upon how much stuff there is to do at each level. If it really boils down to killing X more fluffy bunnies per level, then yeah, it'll suck. On the other hand, if there's enough content that you can do many different things to spend that time, then no big deal.

I really did try to find that soft, squooshy place inside that would sympathize with the plight of people who spend six or eight or twelve hours a day on videogames and who might be somehow put off by this. . .but failed. The answer to their woes is to get a life, not make MMOs inaccessible to those of us who already have them.

On one hand, its Turbine. No company has supported their game with patches as well as Turbine. They still have monthly/bimonthly patches for their storylines in AC and AC2 (though rumors of AC2's impending closure are sounding more true). They're good at providing content in patches. There is an issue of whether or not enough content will be available at release to satisfy MMO gamers though with such a direct translation of D&D without opening up levels 10-20 quickly.

As far as your second point goes, wouldn't this put off casual gamers just as much, if not moreso, than powergamers? The most common complaint in MMOs is the grind. With each level taking more exp to gain now, you're going to see levels less often and hit less milestones. Leveling from 5-6 could take a month for a casual gamer. That's not exactly encouraging; you're accomplishing the same amount but you don't feel rewarded for that. Big numbers make people feel good.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 08-18-2005 10:36:17 PM
quote:
Talonus's fortune cookie read:
Big numbers make people feel good.

Exactly what I'm thinking is going to be wrong about this. Casual gamers will get bored fast, imo, if the gratification of levelling is pushed so far back.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-18-2005 10:42:29 PM
Pretty much by definition, we casual gamers aren't about the "OMG I gotta level and have the best stuff and see everything first and cybar the boss gorilla." If there's enough diversity of challenging and fun content, the levels aren't really that relevant; lots of people play scrabble over and over again, and there aren't any levels--it's all about diversity of experience and fun.

I have to say I feel sorry for anyone who thinks having fun in a game is about leveling. It's that kind of mindset that turns every game into a grinding stat-fest.

Edit: grammar

Bloodsage fucked around with this message on 08-18-2005 at 10:43 PM.

Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 08-18-2005 10:43:04 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Talonus:

As far as your second point goes, wouldn't this put off casual gamers just as much, if not moreso, than powergamers? The most common complaint in MMOs is the grind. With each level taking more exp to gain now, you're going to see levels less often and hit less milestones. Leveling from 5-6 could take a month for a casual gamer. That's not exactly encouraging; you're accomplishing the same amount but you don't feel rewarded for that. Big numbers make people feel good.

I'm hoping that they can make the questing involved and fun so much that I dont care about leveling.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 08-18-2005 10:46:54 PM
The main thing that sort of throws a wrench into our thinking process for all this level jargon is that exp won't be given out from monsters killed. Instead, it's all about how many adventures or quests you partake in. Essentially, a bunch of WoW instances with quests without any single-mob grinding.

It's personally not my cup of tea, but I can see how the D&D framework supports this and makes it a bit different from the norm. I can see it turning out a lot similar to a PvE focused Guild Wars.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-18-2005 10:51:26 PM
Well, I've gone 47 levels in WoW without grinding, so it sounds pretty do-able to me. It'll be interesting how they dole out the experience, but it's not all that different from what I'm already doing: pursuing quests, and killing the stuff that I encounter in furthering that goal.

Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 08-18-2005 10:57:32 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about pies:
I have to say I feel sorry for anyone who thinks having fun in a game is about leveling. It's that kind of mindset that turns every game into a grinding stat-fest.

That's pretty fun though IMO

[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 08-18-2005 11:06:57 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Pretty much by definition, we casual gamers aren't about the "OMG I gotta level and have the best stuff and see everything first and cybar the boss gorilla." If there's enough diversity of challenging and fun content, the levels aren't really that relevant; lots of people play scrabble over and over again, and there aren't any levels--it's all about diversity of experience and fun.

Edit: grammar

All I'm saying is that it's gratifying to see the words "level up!" flash across the screen, one would think that it'd be better to slightly increase the frequency of said gratification. If the gratification is spread out, I find that in a given time (say you're a casual gamer-- maybe an hour), it is less gratifying to gain about 1/4th of a level than to have gained 2.

"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-18-2005 11:11:10 PM
But that's my point. Those of us who aren't focused on that level number actually have fun playing the game, exploring the world, and revealing the story through quests. Levels are relevant only in that they enable one to explore new areas, so as long as there are sufficient locations and quests for a given level, it really isn't relevant how long it takes.

What gets boring is doing the same thing over and over again in order to level so one can see something new.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-18-2005 11:13:55 PM
The leveling sound in in EQ2 always scared me because I wasn't expectin git. Was having too much fun.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-18-2005 11:18:55 PM
I'm going to say it relies a lot of diversity of content.

I mean, in D&D, you didn't mind levelling slowly because you would always have a different experience each session.

You'd travel the globe, finding different lands, meeting new people, fighting new monsters. Plus, things would often change, since it was completely up to the DM.

Now, when we consider the facts that: 1) no game has ever emulated D&D successfully and 2) dynamics are the complete opposite of what MMOGs are about, I'd say this won't work.

Sabratiz
Pancake
posted 08-18-2005 11:30:15 PM
Personally I think its better when a level is hard earned instead of given away like candy. Getting one level over a couple days play makes the level seem like more of an accomplishment. It makes it feel like you've actually done something, instead of some games where levels sometimes feel like they are given away early on. But if say at level 15 or 16 it takes a month for me to get a single level that might be a bit much.
pain is temporary but pride is forever
Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 08-18-2005 11:40:10 PM
The xp from quest finishes kind of makes me wary, unless they let you accept quests on length, say short/medium/long/all day or let you log out without leaving the quest. It'll really annoy casual gamers if they can't log in for a little bit, do a quest in an hour or so and then log off.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 08-19-2005 02:20:56 AM
quote:
Talonus had this to say about pies:
Big numbers make people feel good.
quote:
Manticore had this to say about (_|_):
All I'm saying is that it's gratifying to see the words "level up!" flash across the screen, one would think that it'd be better to slightly increase the frequency of said gratification. If the gratification is spread out, I find that in a given time (say you're a casual gamer-- maybe an hour), it is less gratifying to gain about 1/4th of a level than to have gained 2.

Nah, not necessarily.

If levelling stops being something special, and you won't notice a difference between level 55 and 56, you don't really care anymore. You just want to hit the max level, and that's it.

Take AO for example. They have about 250 levels (or 220, or whatever) now. While you can customize your character every level, you hardly notice it when you actually level up. Or level up 5 times in about two hours. There's no big difference gamewise. Levelling simply stopped being something special.

I'm really looking forward to the "new" system DDO will try. Perhaps it will make levelling up something special again.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message on 08-19-2005 at 02:24 AM.

~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-19-2005 02:30:41 AM
quote:
Tarquinn had this to say about Knight Rider:
Nah, not necessarily.

If levelling stops being something special, and you won't notice a difference between level 55 and 56, you don't really care anymore. You just want to hit the max level, and that's it.

Take AO for example. They have about 250 levels (or 220, or whatever) now. While you can customize your character every level, you hardly notice it when you actually level up. Or level up 5 times in about two hours. There's no big difference gamewise. Levelling simply stopped being something special.

I'm really looking forward to the "new" system DDO will try. Perhaps it will make levelling up something special again.

That's why I always kind of liked CoH.. Every level brought some sort of improvement to your character, even if it was as minor as a couple enhancement slots. On the flip side, it made it almost depressing to level an odd level..

At any rate, I'm somewhat interested. It's a very different system, but more closely matches D&D proper.. every actual level is real, important and is very satisfying to attain.

Sean
posted 08-19-2005 02:40:26 AM
Some of my favorite D&D sessions of all time have been those with no combat whatsoever; simple NPC/PC character interaction for hours, either plotting or scheming or whathaveyou.

Yeah.. scripted responses in an MMOG are gonna be able to give me that.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-19-2005 02:42:05 AM
quote:
Sean probably says this to all the girls:
Some of my favorite D&D sessions of all time have been those with no combat whatsoever; simple NPC/PC character interaction for hours, either plotting or scheming or whathaveyou.

Yep. Or trying to outwit the GM out of combat (And getting a bigger XP bonus for doing so), etc.

Fun times.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 08-19-2005 02:45:14 AM
quote:
And I was all like 'Oh yeah?' and Delphi Aegis was all like:
That's why I always kind of liked CoH.. Every level brought some sort of improvement to your character, even if it was as minor as a couple enhancement slots. On the flip side, it made it almost depressing to level an odd level..

Sadly the opposite is true at higher levels once you've got all the powers you actually want... the rest of the choices are often filler between buffing up your good powers.

Fox
Loser
posted 08-19-2005 03:45:28 AM
Kinda wish they had left out the mana system, and instead put in the time it takes to get your mana to full to allow your spells to replenish.

Bah, nevermind. I doubt they will be giving out xp for roleplaying either. Wonder if the GM's will be actually acting as DM's.

"Westwood, MA, with a development studio in Santa Monica, CA"

Too far away for me to try to apply there.

Fox fucked around with this message on 08-19-2005 at 03:53 AM.

"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than to be loved for what I'm not."
OtakuPenguin
Peels like a tangerine, but is juicy like an orange.
posted 08-19-2005 03:46:12 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Sean!

I was going to post the exact same thing.

DnD is fun for me because of Roleplaying. Unlike what I used to argue all those ages ago, an MMO is not condusive to RPing...at all.

DnD, I think, is best left to the tabletop.

..:: This Is The Sound Of Settling ::..
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 08-19-2005 03:57:54 AM
I spent about 9 straight hours reading everything I could on the site a couple months ago...it definitely seems really weird and there's no way it can truly pull off the pen and paper style, but it does look interesting and I'm more than willing to give it a shot.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 08-19-2005 06:03:58 AM
quote:
OtakuPenguin didn't really write this. They're still passed out in my basement.
I was going to post the exact same thing.

DnD is fun for me because of Roleplaying. Unlike what I used to argue all those ages ago, an MMO is not condusive to RPing...at all.

DnD, I think, is best left to the tabletop.

Ehhhhh... though it is true that no game has perfectly captured the essence of D&D, some damn fine games came out of trying. It might not be exactly the same, but I'm sure as hell not going to miss the pointless arguements, drama, DM favoritism or ridiculousness and having to at least partially memorize all the crap I have to deal with. Sure, I can't hound the DM until he lets me lye-torture people, but at the same there's no hour-long arguements over whether the dwarf sunk in the river.

Might not get it perfect, but that doesn't mean it can't get it good.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-19-2005 09:21:43 AM
I'm not going to be going into DDO expecting anything resembling a true to life D&D experience. Anyone that does is going to be sorely disappointed due to the big reason for D&D's success being the in-person interaction.

I'm going into DDO as any other MMORPG -- I'm taking it as a chance to start over again and explore a new world with friends. In that respect, DDO seems like it will do a great job of keeping people together. I can see people doing things like a normal D&D group would -- planning an adventure through a new dungeon once a week or some such.

Going in and expecting this to 100% emulate the tabletop experience is, well, foolish. No computer based D&D game will ever do that -- you need a live game with a DM and all that to have the full experience, including the insane arguments about why a member of your party killed a gnome that was sitting off in a corner getting high or other various subjects.

Go into the game expecting an MMO set in a universe from the world of D&D, however, and you may end up surprised and may just enjoy the game because of the different levelling scale.

Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 08-19-2005 03:39:52 PM
Fal speaks the truth. I've been looking forward to playing DDO as soon as I heard it would be in the Ebberon setting, which I love. I'm not expecting a perfect translation, and honestly, I don't want one. I want an MMO version of D&D that's fun. That's all that I'll be looking for in the game.
I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piƱa coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 08-20-2005 03:36:29 PM
quote:
Bloodsage has a secret obsession with Richard Simmons, as evidenced by...

Where does this hippie mentality of "everyone must be able to reach the top guys!!" come from and why does it prevail? I LIKE knowing that there is a very long way to go to the top, and I like knowing that hey, I reached the top of this and most people never do that.

Of course, I could probably better spend my time SERVING MY COUNTRY AT WAR or GETTING A MASTER'S DEGREE but tbh I don't care and as someone who was probably really important once said, "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

hey
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-20-2005 03:41:28 PM
I think you should be careful where you post personal attacks, Jens. And, as usual, you've not got even a vestige of logic in anything you've said, relying still on visceral leaps of illogic to confuse an issue.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-20-2005 04:02:05 PM
This is not a flame thread. Personal attacks don't belong here.

This is the last warning before blacklistings and posting controls start being issued.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 08-20-2005 04:18:36 PM
oh sorry
hey
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 08-20-2005 04:34:23 PM
Before I forget about this thread Bloodsage I'd like to applaud your own argument's excellent use of logic and well supported points it is very nice tbh
hey
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-20-2005 04:48:39 PM
quote:
Jensus wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
Where does this hippie mentality of "everyone must be able to reach the top guys!!" come from and why does it prevail? I LIKE knowing that there is a very long way to go to the top, and I like knowing that hey, I reached the top of this and most people never do that.

Of course, I could probably better spend my time SERVING MY COUNTRY AT WAR or GETTING A MASTER'S DEGREE but tbh I don't care and as someone who was probably really important once said, "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

The problem is that there is no skill involved in getting to 'the top' in most EQ clones. In EQ and WoW you can for most classes just do the same thing over and over and over again at no risk to youself and after a few weeks (WoW) or months (EQ) you'll be lvl 60. I was 60/65/65+AA in EQ and the skills required to get to the top there level-wise are "Tolerance for sitting on your ass all day doing the exact same thing to slightly varying mobs over and over again" and / or "owning two computers, two accounts and a big desk". Of couse you can go and have fun running a dungeon or grouping with friends and challenge yourself by taking on things beyond your level, but you won't be leveling any faster than the guy in dreadlands killing his 900th drovlarg.

If you've ever played EQ you'll know the kind of complete idiots with zero grasp of the actual game that still managed to get to lvl 60 by quadkiting raptors for nine hours per day.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-20-2005 04:53:16 PM
But you've missed the point, Mod. Sitting on your ass all day playing pretend is obviously just as valid doing real things in the real world, and it's just as challenging to play videogames as it is to climb mountains, get an education, drive real race cars, or fly real aircraft.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 08-20-2005 05:33:38 PM
quote:
Bloodsage has a secret obsession with Richard Simmons, as evidenced by...
But you've missed the point, Mod. Sitting on your ass all day playing pretend is obviously just as valid doing real things in the real world, and it's just as challenging to play videogames as it is to climb mountains, get an education, drive real race cars, or fly real aircraft.

Sure it is.

hey wow this is much easier than actually substantiating my arguments NICE

hey
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 08-20-2005 10:29:02 PM
quote:
So quoth Mod:

If you've ever played EQ you'll know the kind of complete idiots with zero grasp of the actual game that still managed to get to lvl 60 by quadkiting raptors for nine hours per day.

I'm sure, being enchanters, we've both seen that quite often.

And it's not even months anymore. 3 days after GoD came out, there was a what, 65 berserker? The idea of being a high level in EQ means actual work is a joke.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Fox
Loser
posted 08-20-2005 10:44:39 PM
quote:
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

Quite nice.

"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than to be loved for what I'm not."
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: