EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Scottish penguin promoted to Colonel in Chief of the Norwegian Royal Guard
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 08-18-2005 04:02:43 PM
Source: http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_1&newsid=8631

quote:
Promotion for Edinburgh’s Norwegian Army penguin
17 August 2005 17:56

An Edinburgh resident has been promoted to one of the most senior ranks in the Norwegian Army after a special ceremony at his home. But Colonel in Chief of the Royal Norwegian Guard, Nils Olav, is no ordinary soldier. He is in fact a penguin.

Proud penguin Nils Olav was today inspecting his very own guard of honor. Nils was adopted by the Norwegian Army back in 1972 and as well as being designated their official mascot, was awarded the rank of Lance Corporal in the Royal Norwegian Guard. He has been promoted four times since then and was today given the top job - Colonel in Chief.

A large crowd turned out to watch the ceremony - at times though Nils seemed more interested in meeting his fans than accepting the honor and he seemed to be somewhat confused come presentation time. In the end, his medal had to be forcibly attached rather than formally presented.

Major Nils Egelien from the Norwegian Royal Guard Association said: "Colonel in chief because all the reports speak about his very, very good behaviour, and the service in this garden."

This VIP penguin was awarded a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal by the organisers of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo and a statue of Nils was unveiled next to his enclosure by the city's Lord Provost - he seemed to approve.

But does his promotion mean he will avoid active service from now on? Major Egelien said: "He will have frontline fighting duties."

Nils Olav is now back in with the rest of the troops. It is not known when this elite fighting force will be deployed again, but when they are, it is fair to say that the best possible penguin is in charge.

Jensus fucked around with this message on 08-18-2005 at 04:03 PM.

hey
Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 08-18-2005 04:06:17 PM
We salute you, Colonel in Chief Nils Olav!

<gives a salute> ^.^

Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Peter
Pancake
posted 08-18-2005 06:05:47 PM
.....I would make a stupid comment, but I am like a 1/4 Norwegian.
Mightion Defensor
posted 08-18-2005 09:28:08 PM
If he flies in a jet, would he have a wingman?
LeMiere
posted 08-19-2005 12:16:52 AM
"March of the Penguins" was really crazy political propaganda!
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 08-19-2005 07:41:37 AM
This had me laughing for about an hour or so.

Totally awesome.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: