EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: What happens if you play games too much?
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 08-10-2005 06:47:35 AM
The ultimate ending to the saga!

This guy just sounded like a real winner..

Discuss!

Mod
Pancake
posted 08-10-2005 07:16:20 AM
In other news, some guy somewhere died while snowboading during an Avalanche warning and some dumbass somewhere else cracked their skull open while mountainbiking with a bad tire. Those incidents only get so much press because of the "Glorious Jesus save us from those devil games"-crowd and the fact that they're so rare due to the nature of games.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Snugglits
I LIKE TO ABUSE THE ALERT MOD BUTTON AND I ENJOY THE FLAVOR OF SWEET SWEET COCK.
posted 08-10-2005 08:11:06 AM
This man is truly a hero.
[b].sig removed by Mr. Parcelan[/b]
Blackened
posted 08-10-2005 08:13:49 AM
I honestly don't care anymore about people killing themselves over video games. Obviously they had mental problems to begin with (The guy from the article quit his job to play more games, laffo), so, in short, fuck them.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 08-10-2005 11:37:31 AM
I don't want a lot out of life. Just a big boss battle right before I die.
Preferably a hundred years from now =(
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 08-10-2005 01:03:36 PM
quote:
Sentow, Maybe had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
I don't want a lot out of life. Just a big boss battle right before I die.
Preferably a hundred years from now =(

But when the boss inevitably returns in his second form, who will fight him then? You better make sure to level up your friends, just in case.

Rodent King
Stabbed in the Eye
posted 08-10-2005 01:36:34 PM
A 50 hour session doesn't seem like too much to handle. I've hit at least 35 hour ones before during my EQ days.
My inner child is bigger than my outer adult.
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 08-10-2005 02:12:24 PM
Well, I know of one study done wherein a teenager in highschool kept himself from sleep for 14 days straight and then slept for about 28 hours. Needless to say, this study was done about 30 or 40 years ago because current guidelines would have seen this and put an end to it.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 08-10-2005 06:04:38 PM
quote:
So quoth Mod:
In other news, some guy somewhere died while snowboading during an Avalanche warning and some dumbass somewhere else cracked their skull open while mountainbiking with a bad tire. Those incidents only get so much press because of the "Glorious Jesus save us from those devil games"-crowd and the fact that they're so rare due to the nature of games.

Chill dude. It's just an article that I thought the EC community might find interesting. No need to go all postal about it.

Besides.. nobody said ANYTHING about the game. Just the fact that after playing video games for pretty much nonstop 50 hours, the guy died. He could have been sitting on his ass for fifty hours nonstop watching tv and died and I would have posted it.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 08-10-2005 06:15:15 PM
I was reading about this earlier. I thought it was interesting too. I didn't realise that someone could die without sleeping for 50 hours. Maybe the adrenalin rush from gaming was too much for him to handle.

He is a prime example of what most geeks would call uber-geek. Too bad the uber-geeks aren't smarter, if they were they would be unstoppable.

Unless you had a taser maybe.. and he was wearing chainmail.

DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 08-10-2005 06:34:04 PM
quote:
Nae stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
I didn't realise that someone could die without sleeping for 50 hours.

I remember a similar thing happing to a man in South Korea who died after 3 days of straight EverQuesting. This was a few years ago, and I was surprised it happened again.

DrPaintThinner fucked around with this message on 08-10-2005 at 06:34 PM.

roit, less bash 'is noggin
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 08-10-2005 06:40:03 PM
Meh, I think at least one Asian person dies per year from exhaustion caused by marathon game playing.

I wanna see more people die from fear-induced heart attacks brought on by video games, like those two kids back in the early 80's who died while playing Berzerk.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 08-10-2005 08:02:17 PM
It seems to me that this would be a good time to point out that some premier clans of Wc3:FT actually recruit Koreans to play for them in tournaments.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
SunGryphon
Nub nub nu...THWACK!
posted 08-10-2005 11:31:40 PM
This looks like an appropriate thread to plug my 3-day marathon of DJing I'll be doing next week. I'm staying up for 3 days straight and broadcasting live with a webcam while I play COH. The link will be http://www.thecaperadio.com:8000 , look for DJ Durango.

*huggles Mort*

Nub, nub me do.
~+~+~
Nub... nub... nub!
Nub is all doo need!
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 08-11-2005 12:54:44 AM
quote:
Nae impressed everyone with:
I was reading about this earlier. I thought it was interesting too. I didn't realise that someone could die without sleeping for 50 hours. Maybe the adrenalin rush from gaming was too much for him to handle.

He is a prime example of what most geeks would call uber-geek. Too bad the uber-geeks aren't smarter, if they were they would be unstoppable.

Unless you had a taser maybe.. and he was wearing chainmail.

I recall reading a study they did (i assume) many years ago, where essentially they would keep monkeys awake through various methods for as long as possible. After about thirty days, the moneys would go insane, and die of heart complications.

In the name of science!

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Mod
Pancake
posted 08-11-2005 06:01:01 AM
quote:
So quoth Jajahotep:
Chill dude. It's just an article that I thought the EC community might find interesting. No need to go all postal about it.

Besides.. nobody said ANYTHING about the game. Just the fact that after playing video games for pretty much nonstop 50 hours, the guy died. He could have been sitting on his ass for fifty hours nonstop watching tv and died and I would have posted it.

It wasn't directed at you, I'm just somewhat annoyed with the press trying to play any fatality that happened in the general vicinity of a computer as evil computer games murdering people, whereas playing games is among the least likely hobbies to actually get you killed.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-11-2005 07:18:16 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Kait gently hums:
I recall reading a study they did (i assume) many years ago, where essentially they would keep monkeys awake through various methods for as long as possible. After about thirty days, the moneys would go insane, and die of heart complications.

In the name of science!

I dunno. There was an American POW in Vietnam who was tortured in a similar manner, but he learned to sleep in 15-second intervals. . .the time it took his guard to make the rounds and check on him again. He was a bit fucked-up, but not insane.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 08-11-2005 07:28:43 PM
There have been studies where people have been kept awake for 200 or so hours (mentioned here.)

I remember hearing on the History or Discovory channel that not getting R.E.M. sleep for so long a period of time will make you crazy or change your personality to a degree.

Anklebiter fucked around with this message on 08-11-2005 at 07:32 PM.

EVE Online:
Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 08-12-2005 07:31:46 PM
quote:
Anklebiter was naked while typing this:
There have been studies where people have been kept awake for 200 or so hours (mentioned here.)

I remember hearing on the History or Discovory channel that not getting R.E.M. sleep for so long a period of time will make you crazy or change your personality to a degree.

I don't know, maybe it's different for the monkeys they were using, maybe something to do with how fast one's metabolism works. They did another study where they made monkeys addicted to smoking...scary x.-

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 08-12-2005 07:48:03 PM
quote:
Mod wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
It wasn't directed at you, I'm just somewhat annoyed with the press trying to play any fatality that happened in the general vicinity of a computer as evil computer games murdering people, whereas playing games is among the least likely hobbies to actually get you killed.

Press is evil lolz.

They...um...reported the news. The news is bizarre, giving it more value than, say, some dumbass cracking his head open on a mountain bike. I saw nothing that attempted to make video games out to be evil.

I've seen news of people being killed in avalanches reported too. But, well, those kinds of deaths have happened for awhile. Reuters did a good job of doing the writeup of the article while avoiding anything in regards to demonizing computer games.

Maradon!
posted 08-12-2005 10:30:07 PM
Nobody understands why we need sleep, and we only have a vague grasp of the effects of sleep deprivation.

It's true that abnormal sleeping patterns are linked to psychotics, but they're also linked to true geniuses like Einstein and da Vinci.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-14-2005 04:09:26 PM
quote:
The logic train ran off the tracks when Maradon! said:
Nobody understands why we need sleep, and we only have a vague grasp of the effects of sleep deprivation.

It's true that abnormal sleeping patterns are linked to psychotics, but they're also linked to true geniuses like Einstein and da Vinci.

ummm...we do know why we sleep. It's a shutdown period where our body goes into a heightened state of repair and self-maintenance.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: