EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Anyone ever heard of Krav Maga?
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 08-03-2005 09:48:32 AM
I have been wanting to get into a martial art of some sort for decades.

I was reading a novel about Splinter Cell, and in the book, Sam Fisher is a master at Krav Maga. It is the Israeli art of self-defense. I had never heard of it before, but from the description in the book, it seemed very practical.

I found a studio here in Vegas, but I was wondering if any of you that are into martial arts had heard anything about it before?

Lookie!

I will check back here after work to see what you all have to say.

Thankies!

Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 08-03-2005 10:21:32 AM
I've heard of it via History Channel, but I don't really remember anything about it.

However, if it came from the Israelis, it probably doesn't suck.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-03-2005 10:55:51 AM
I've studied it for a bit.

Krav Maga primarily deals with the art of disarming opponents of any weapon, using household objects as weapons, and also incapacitating your opponent.

It involves a lot of groin shots.

Steven Steve
posted 08-03-2005 01:36:36 PM
I did Krav Maga a bit too, but it was only second-hand from Taekwondo. It helps to be a burly manly man when you do it.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-03-2005 03:22:29 PM
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's all about getting up close and personal while dealing as much damage as quickly as possible--mostly an offensive style. One of the few that would actually be useful IRL, as opposed to the sports-oriented forms like Karate, Judo, and Taekwando.

Don't believe the movies, though: a small, weak person has no hope against a large, strong person regardless of technique. Building strength along with technique should be a major goal.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 08-03-2005 03:44:05 PM
quote:
Bloodsage said this about your mom:
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's all about getting up close and personal while dealing as much damage as quickly as possible--mostly an offensive style. One of the few that would actually be useful IRL, as opposed to the sports-oriented forms like Karate, Judo, and Taekwando.

Don't believe the movies, though: a small, weak person has no hope against a large, strong person regardless of technique. Building strength along with technique should be a major goal.

*hops on one foot and kicks Bloodsage in the face* Hii-ya!

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-03-2005 03:50:58 PM
quote:
Delphi Aegis thought about the meaning of life:
*hops on one foot and kicks Bloodsage in the face* Hii-ya!

Factoid number two: Any amount of badass martial arts training will not help you against 1) a likely heavily-armed Air Force major (Bloodsage), 2) a heavily-armed bloodthirsty Conservative (Azizza), 3) a heavily-armed Cold War hold-out (Callalron), or 4) a Vietnam vet hopped on PCP who lost his wife and has nothing to lose (Maradon).

Mr. Parcelan fucked around with this message on 08-03-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 08-03-2005 04:11:03 PM
Krav Maga? Isn't that the Israeli military hand to hand form? If it is, then I remember reading something about that a while back. It's a bit like Jeet Kune Do, not in form, but in the fact that the operative mentality behind it is "do the most effective thing to put your opponent out of commission as possible" rather than it being something flashy you can do drills of for points. It was meant to be useful to soldiers, so it teaches improvised weapon skills ("look, you can stab someone with it, do so. repeatedly, and as effectively as possible") as well as some pretty nasty disabling moves (lots of variations on the groin shot, as mentioned, but also some other sensitive spots like eyes, etc).

But yeah, size accounts for a lot. I wrestled in high school. 189lb weight class and heavyweight class (189.01-275lb). My hotshot martial arts (ex-)friend (150lbs soaking wet) had a black belt and got shitty at a party and picked a fight with me. I grabbed him. And held. I got popped a few times, granted, but it was pretty much over once I got my hands on him. Mass and muscle always make martial arts all the tastier.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 08-03-2005 04:15:56 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Mr. Parcelan stammered:
Factoid number two: Any amount of badass martial arts training will not help you against 1) a likely heavily-armed Air Force major (Bloodsage), 2) a heavily-armed bloodthirsty Conservative (Maradon), 3) a heavily-armed Cold War hold-out (Callalron), or 4) a Vietnam vet hopped on PCP who lost his wife and has nothing to lose (Maradon).

you used Maradon twice. You must replace one of the Maradons with CBTao.

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-03-2005 05:18:03 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
you used Maradon twice. You must replace one of the Maradons with CBTao.

I thought I said (Azizza) for the bloodthirsty conservative, since I'm certain Maradon probably owns a cap-gun at worst.

But look! I can edit it!

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 08-03-2005 06:39:39 PM
good show, old chap.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 08-03-2005 07:34:49 PM
Pretty much the reason I want to get into it is what Bloodsage said. I want something that will serve a practical purpose if I absolutely have no other choice but to fight. Preferably I want to be able to put someone out of commission long enough so I can run away.

I don't want to stand there doing 15 minutes of katas and charging up before I stab them in the eye with a pen.

Peter
Pancake
posted 08-03-2005 11:18:11 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Punky Brewster:
...Don't believe the movies, though: a small, weak person has no hope against a large, strong person regardless of technique. Building strength along with technique should be a major goal.

However a small incredibly built person can make a big burly man have a bad, bad day.

--Also the referance to Jeet Kune Do, I belive I remember reading that Mr. Lee Said alot of the art was already in most asian martial arts, He in essence took them ,stripped the show from them and presented them in a more western point of veiw of the martial arts.(That is it less of a way of enlightenment, and more of a way of ass whupping)

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-03-2005 11:22:37 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Peter gently hums:
However a small incredibly built person can make a big burly man have a bad, bad day.

--Also the referance to Jeet Kune Do, I belive I remember reading that Mr. Lee Said alot of the art was already in most asian martial arts, He in essence took them ,stripped the show from them and presented them in a more western point of veiw of the martial arts.(That is it less of a way of enlightenment, and more of a way of ass whupping)

Only if the big guy is stupid or completely untrained. . .and only with luck in the latter case. I don't care how much technique you have, physics limits the amount of force a small person can apply. Technique can maximize the potential, but leverage and precision only help so much.

Manticore
Not Much Fun Anymore
posted 08-03-2005 11:29:54 PM
well, if a big guy swings at you, and you are trained well enough to grab and pull his arm, can't you hit him just above the elbow and shatter it? I mean, your run-of-the-mill angry large guy isn't a black belt.
"France tried to turtle, but Hitler did a tank rush before they were ready. Just shows how horribly unbalanced real life is. They should release a patch."
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-03-2005 11:31:01 PM
quote:
Manticore has funnier quote texts than me:
well, if a big guy swings at you, and you are trained well enough to grab and pull his arm, can't you hit him just above the elbow and shatter it?.

... Uh huh.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 08-03-2005 11:40:03 PM
quote:
Quoth Manticore:
well, if a big guy swings at you, and you are trained well enough to grab and pull his arm, can't you hit him just above the elbow and shatter it? I mean, your run-of-the-mill angry large guy isn't a black belt.

Only if you're strong enough to control him once you've got him. Further, the physics don't work really well for that kind of a thing unless you're very strong, because you have to be able to arrest the forward motion of the wrist at pretty much the same time as you strike the joint hard enough to tear tendons and muscle.

You'd be far better off running while he's off-balance if he's significantly bigger than you.

Azizza
VANDERSHANKED
posted 08-03-2005 11:42:00 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Duck Tales:
I thought I said (Azizza) for the bloodthirsty conservative, since I'm certain Maradon probably owns a cap-gun at worst.

But look! I can edit it!

I was about to be quite insulted at that.
Thanks for correcting it.
*goes to put the arsenal away*

"Pacifism is a privilege of the protected"
Sean
posted 08-03-2005 11:42:27 PM
quote:
Bloodsage's fortune cookie read:
You'd be far better off running while he's off-balance if he's significantly bigger than you.

But it's not cool to run away from a fight.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Steven Steve
posted 08-04-2005 12:26:10 AM
quote:
Manticore had this to say about Captain Planet:

Well let's put it this way: if you taught a regular ant all the martial arts in the world, would it be able to kick an ant-eater's ass?

"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."

Callalron
Hires people with hooks
posted 08-04-2005 12:49:12 AM
Is this the martial art that only has you hit with three parts of your body? The heel of your palm, your elbow and I think the area inbetween your thumb and forefinger. Because supposedly these are the only parts of your body that you can't break hitting someone else.

Callalron fucked around with this message on 08-04-2005 at 12:49 AM.

Callalron
"When mankind finally discovers the center of the universe, a lot of people are going to be upset that it isn't them."
"If you give a man a fish he'll eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish he'll just go out and buy an ugly hat. But if you talk to a starving man about fish, then you've become a consultant."--Dogbert
Arvek, 41 Bounty Hunter
Vrook Lamar server
Steven Steve
posted 08-04-2005 12:54:02 AM
Actually I believe that's Muay Thai.

Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 08-04-2005 01:03:28 AM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist got a whole lot of nerve:

Muay Thai uses a lot more then just those 3 points.

To be honest, that sounds like Dim Mak (The combat form of Tai Chi, if I recall.)

UBT
Pancake
posted 08-04-2005 04:16:25 PM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:

No, Muay Thai has next to no punches in it at all. They use knees, elbows and shins to destroy the opponent, destroying any weapon the opponent uses against them. They are also terribly destructive when up close and personal.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-04-2005 04:17:09 PM
Buy a gun.
Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 08-04-2005 05:19:02 PM
I keep seeing this thread and thinking of Kravt Magaroni and Cheese. I tried to make a joke out of it but it is too stupid. Yet I can't get the idea out of my head.

Speaking of the harsh reality of impractical martial arts...
Probably a false story. I'm pretty sure the Sun is a tabloid and I can't get confirmation from anywhere that doesn't cite the Sun as a source. Still, it's on topic.

Father McKenzie fucked around with this message on 08-04-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 08-04-2005 06:30:45 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Cuba:
Buy a gun.

worked for Indiana Jones

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-04-2005 06:48:01 PM
quote:
Verily, Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael doth proclaim:
worked for Indiana Jones

Well, if you're going the Indiana Jones method, a whip, fedora, machine gun or rotating Nazi aeroplane will do.

Though the latter can only be used in the case of bald Nazis or Kaglaaz when he shaves his head.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 08-04-2005 06:58:27 PM
But the gun thing works whenever someone screams and tries to show off.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 08-04-2005 06:59:41 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael painfully thought these words up:
But the gun thing works whenever someone screams and tries to show off.

Only if they're wearing a turban.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
posted 08-04-2005 07:04:35 PM
hmmm...could be problematic. Unless you carry a turban with you to put on the enemy. That would be an interesting martial arts maneuver. Hatting.

Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 08-05-2005 01:37:21 AM
quote:
This one time, at Fazum'Zen Fastfist camp:

Muay Thai is nowadays primarily a form of kickboxing. Albiet a very brutal form of kickboxing. They use the clinch a lot to trap the head and bring it down so you can raise some knees up into your face. The Muay Thai kicks are mainly around the area of the knee using the beefy part of the shin to do the most damage possible.

I take Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. A ground fighting martial art that centers around command and control. There are some takedowns, self-defense techniques, and striking, but the core of the art involves improving, maintaining, or defending ground positions; along with submissions such as chokes and armlocks. Most of the techniques are organized around specific positions. BJJ is sometimes described as "position first, then submission". I like it because it's very technical and you usually work with a partner instead of just striking at an imaginary person. I've lost over 12 inches around my belly so far in the last 4 or 5 months. http://www.pedrosauer.com

If any of you watch the UFC fights most all of the MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fighters usually have some sort of striking art (Usually Muay Thai) and some sort of grappling art (More often than not it's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu). Look at the history of the UFC in it's infancy (The Gracie Challenge) to see why so many folks use BJJ

http://www.bloodfin.net
Kaglaaz How'ler
Pancake
posted 08-05-2005 01:40:10 AM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan had this to say about Pirotess:
Well, if you're going the Indiana Jones method, a whip, fedora, machine gun or rotating Nazi aeroplane will do.

Though the latter can only be used in the case of bald Nazis or Kaglaaz when he shaves his head.

My head is always shaved. But NEVER, EVER use Nazis in the same sentence as my name. Those bastards all need to die. (yes, NeoNazis too as most WWII Nazi's are dead or dying)

http://www.bloodfin.net
Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 08-05-2005 11:20:05 AM
quote:
Kaglaaz How'ler painfully thought these words up:
But NEVER, EVER use Nazis in the same sentence as my name.

Kaglaaz hates Nazis.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: