EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: GeForce 6800 vid cards... Ultra or GT??
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 07-16-2005 07:45:11 PM
It's all in the topic folks

As I said in Led's thread, I am looking to get a new vid card (mainly cos the one I have now is only a 4800Ti SE, and doesnt really run BF2 all that well), and it seems that the card of choice here (from the searching/reviewing I've done of threads) is the GeForce 6800...

The question is though... do I go for the 6800 Ultra, or a 6800 GT? and which is the better manufacturer (eVGA, BFG, Asus, etc)???

Thoughts and comments muchly appreciated!!

Were-Tigress Disciple of Lycanthropy
Perma-lowbie, addicted to MMORPGs
My LiveJournal

Talonus
Loner
posted 07-16-2005 08:06:14 PM
Either spend the extra cash and get a 7800GTX (I recommend the BFG Tech 7800GTX personally), or wait a month or two for the 6800s to come down in price. As far as card manufacturers go, it should come down to Leadtek or BFG. Leadtek has the best quality cards and usually the cooler cards of the two, but BFG has the best customer service and a lifetime warranty. Its your call which you want more.
Tatsukaze
wants Kloie's mom OH SO BAD
posted 07-16-2005 09:36:43 PM
The only thing is that nVidia's going to stop the market flow of the 6800's once the lower-spec versions of the 7800 (the GT and the standard) hit the market, but I'd agree with Tal.
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 07-17-2005 12:45:13 AM
From what I can see the 7800GTX is PCIe, whereas my current card (GeForce 4 4800Ti SE) is (I believe??) AGP... Is there going to need to be any kind of compatability issues with the motherboard?? (Mobo is an ASUS P4PE)

The main reasons I ask is because current pricing for the boards appears to be as follows (all Leadtek boards):

128Mb 6800GT - A$499 (AGP) [US$374.25]
128Mb 6800 Ultra - A$820 (AGP) [US$615.00]

(interestingly, the only 6800 series boards I can find that are 256Mb are all PCIe, like the 7800GTX)..
256Mb 6800GT - A$585 [US$438.75]
256Mb 6800 Ultra - A$799 [US$599.25]
256Mb 7800GTX - A$915 [US$686.25]

Is there a huge performance difference between AGP and PCIe (or is AGP being phased out, as it seems all the newer boards with 256Mb are PCIe as opposed to AGP)??

And, as mentioned above, would there be compatability issues between the mobo and the card if I went PCIe??

My LiveJournal

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-17-2005 12:58:19 AM
PCIe is not compatible is AGP. To get a high end video card you have to upgrade you mother board. If you arn't already on socket 939 then that probably means you are going to need to upgrade your CPU as well, unless you are on Intel in which case you're alright. Being on AMD right now is kind of annoying.
TheOriginalZane
Pancake
posted 07-17-2005 01:00:18 AM
quote:
Abbikat had this to say about pies:
It's all in the topic folks

As I said in Led's thread, I am looking to get a new vid card (mainly cos the one I have now is only a 4800Ti SE, and doesnt really run BF2 all that well), and it seems that the card of choice here (from the searching/reviewing I've done of threads) is the GeForce 6800...

The question is though... do I go for the 6800 Ultra, or a 6800 GT? and which is the better manufacturer (eVGA, BFG, Asus, etc)???

Thoughts and comments muchly appreciated!!

wow, I'm glad you brought this up since I'm going through the same problem right now. I'm gonna buy the 6800GT PCIe. Go with PCIe because mobo's are leaving the AGP realm

The worst member of EC.
Live Journal
Chugga
Pancake
posted 07-17-2005 01:58:44 AM
I'd personally go with BFG, and the GT. The performance difference isn't that much, and the BFG is always a good OCer if you want to go to Ultra speeds, that's the only difference between the GT and Ultra, clock speeds. Same memory bandwidth, processor, pipelines, just the clock speeds of the GT are slower than that of the ultra.
Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-17-2005 02:19:27 AM
There are AGP versions of the 6800Ultra and GT available, they're just not as common as the PCIX version (why in the hell do we need another way to say the same thing?!?). If you plan on upgrading Board/Chip and probably RAM, go ahead and get the PCIX version. If you want to use your current hardware then get the AGP version, but the next major system upgrade you do you'll be forced to get a PCIX card at that point as AGP is being done away with.

And unless you're finding Socket472 boards with PCIX (I haven't seen any personally) you're just as screwed with Intel as you are AMD. The LGA775 socket means new chip, and most of the LGA775 boards are DDR2 instead of DDR.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
-----------------------------------
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 07-17-2005 03:16:20 PM
PCI-e and PCI-X aren't the same.
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 07-17-2005 04:13:26 PM
Just to confirm, this page lists the specs for my mobo (about halfway down the page).

If I go for a PCI(e/x/wtfbbq) vid card (which is most likely since it seems every place I scan on the web says AGP is on the way out like you guys said, what kind of new mobo should I be looking for also (ie: manufacturer, etc) as recommendations?

I can always go back to the place that built the puter for me (cos they have the old spec-sheet and know what they put into it) and get them to pick a mobo that will be compatible to the new vid card as well as the old RAM and processor chip

.. but I'd like some suggestions from folks so I can hunt pricing and figure out just how much more than just a vid card this is all gunna cost.

Thanks.

My LiveJournal

Random Insanity Generator
Condom Ninja El Supremo
posted 07-17-2005 05:24:42 PM
quote:
How.... Noxhil2.... uughhhhhh:
PCI-e and PCI-X aren't the same.

Yeah... PCIX is the previous version where they didn't gay up the physical interface. PCIe is work done on top of that, which has increased speed, but also brought about a gay physical interface that was unneeded.

* NullDevice kicks the server. "Floggings will continue until processing power improves!"
"That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos." -- Harry Dresden
That's what playing Ragnarok Online taught me: There's no problem in the universe that can't be resolved by the proper application of daggers to faces.
Abbikat
Tastes best with pudding
posted 07-17-2005 10:21:38 PM
just for my own sake, and cos it seems I can get an ATi card for 1/2 the price of the nVidia ones...

anyone have any thoughts on the 9600/9700 series Ati cards??

My LiveJournal

Gadani
U
posted 07-17-2005 10:23:19 PM
quote:
Abbikat wrote this stupid crap:
just for my own sake, and cos it seems I can get an ATi card for 1/2 the price of the nVidia ones...

anyone have any thoughts on the 9600/9700 series Ati cards??

I used to have a 9600.

Not the best card in the world, not the worst.

Demos
Pancake
posted 07-17-2005 10:57:13 PM
The 9600/9800 shouldn't be compared with the 6600 and 6800, the 6x's are the next gen after the 96/98, which would be the counterparts of the nVidia FX5900 and FX5700. But just as a side note, if you don't want a new mobo yet, I have an agp 9800pro for sale (Just upgraded to an athlon 64 in socket 939 and went to PCIe).

Edit: And it ran BF2 fine with the settings tweaked (I was running it around 1280x1024 with AA) but I also had 1.5gb of ram.

Demos fucked around with this message on 07-17-2005 at 10:59 PM.

"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: