EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Ball Mice on a Laptop
Lalamile
My title doesn't even make sense any more
posted 07-06-2005 01:19:14 PM
Soo... I just got a laptop.. and the whole normal mice is a pain... so...
Anyone use one of these?
http://web.mit.edu/atic/www/images/mice/kensingtonorbits.JPG
Do they work better that the touch pad? Can you still play twich games with them, with training?
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 07-06-2005 01:36:30 PM
just bite down, spend 15 bucks, and get an optical.. fuck adaptation.
Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-06-2005 01:38:44 PM
Ball mice, especially the finger variety there are absolutly horrid. Thumbballs arn't that bad but they still arn't as good as an optical mouse. I don't think you'd be able to play twitch games with one of those very well, better then with the touchpad but still not worth the effort. Just get a low end wired optical, preferabbly from logitech, to use with your laptop whenever you have the space and use the touchpad otherwise. That is what I do.
Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 07-06-2005 01:49:03 PM
I have this little laptop thumbball mouse... the only thing its good for is when playing shooters, when i wanna feel a trigger when I shoot somebody
Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 07-06-2005 10:52:32 PM
I use this mouse. It's surprisingly good for twitch games, to the point where I wouldn't feel comfortable using an optic or normal mouse after having used this for so long.

and the tiny buttons on each side act as forward/back buttons when websurfing

Anklebiter fucked around with this message on 07-06-2005 at 10:54 PM.

EVE Online:
Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
Maradon!
posted 07-06-2005 10:53:57 PM
Trackballs are pretty much only for idiots. Range of motion is extremely limited compared to mice, so your only option is to turn up sensitivity which costs you accuracy.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 07-06-2005 at 10:54 PM.

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 07-07-2005 01:58:34 AM
quote:
So quoth Maradon!:
Trackballs are pretty much only for idiots. Range of motion is extremely limited compared to mice, so your only option is to turn up sensitivity which costs you accuracy.

They're good if you're developing Carpal Tunnel.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 07-07-2005 02:01:27 AM
One day, went to my local LARP group, and this guy had on a wrist brace. now, he works at a computer shop, but I know all he really does all day is play WoW and CS.. so i ask him..

"Carpal?"

To which he replies

"Nope, wife's been out fo town for three weeks"

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: