EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Blaster Build Help?
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 07-05-2005 10:16:56 PM
Level: 50
Archetype: Blaster
Primary: Assault Rifle
Secondary: Devices
---------------------------------------------
01) --> Slug==> Dmg(1) Dmg(3) Dmg(3) Dmg(5) Dmg(5) Dmg(9)
01) --> Web Grenade==> Immob(1)
02) --> Caltrops==> Dmg(2)
04) --> Burst==> Dmg(4)
06) --> Hasten==> Rechg(6) Rechg(7) Rechg(7) Rechg(9) Rechg(11) Rechg(11)
08) --> Hurdle==> Jump(8)
10) --> Targeting Drone==> TH_Buf(10) TH_Buf(13) TH_Buf(13) TH_Buf(15)
12) --> Sniper Rifle==> Dmg(12) Dmg(15) Dmg(17) Dmg(29) Dmg(31) Dmg(31)
14) --> Super Speed==> Run(14) Run(46)
16) --> Smoke Grenade==> TH_DeBuf(16) TH_DeBuf(17) TH_DeBuf(19) TH_DeBuf(19) TH_DeBuf(34) TH_DeBuf(36)
18) --> Swift==> Run(18)
20) --> Stamina==> EndRec(20) EndRec(21) EndRec(21) EndRec(23) EndRec(23) EndRec(27)
22) --> Flamethrower==> Dmg(22) Dmg(25) Dmg(25) Dmg(27) Dmg(29) Dmg(31)
24) --> Cloaking Device==> DefBuf(24) DefBuf(37) DefBuf(37) DefBuf(37) DefBuf(40) DefBuf(42)
26) --> Recall Friend==> Rechg(26)
28) --> Combat Jumping==> DefBuf(28) DefBuf(42) DefBuf(42) DefBuf(43) DefBuf(43) DefBuf(43)
30) --> Trip Mine==> Acc(30)
32) --> Full Auto==> Dmg(32) Dmg(33) Dmg(33) Dmg(33) Dmg(34) Dmg(34)
35) --> Super Jump==> Jump(35)
38) --> Auto Turret==> Dmg(38) Dmg(39) Dmg(39) Dmg(39) Dmg(40) Dmg(40)
41) --> Bonfire==> Dmg(41)
44) --> Fire Shield==> DmgRes(44) DmgRes(45) DmgRes(45) DmgRes(45) DmgRes(46) DmgRes(46)
47) --> Rise of the Phoenix==> Epty(47) Empty(48) Empty(48) Empty(48) Empty(50) Empty(50)
49) --> Health==> Heal(49) Heal(50)
01) --> Sprint==> Run(1)
01) --> Brawl==> Dmg(1)
02) --> Rest==> Rechg(2)

I took a shot at actually planning my character out. Note that this is my current plan after I use my respec from the 24 TF. I have no idea what I would put in Rise of the Phoenix if I were to get it. Also I'm having trouble finding direction for this character... I have some randomly interjected powers just to fill up slots. Is it necessary to 6-slot targetting drone? I hardly ever miss with 4 slots in it now.

Furthermore, I don't know if flame mastery is the best Epic pool, so input there would be appreciated too.

I did, however, take my best shot at it, and hopefully people will point out the flaws in it.

Noxhil2 fucked around with this message on 07-05-2005 at 11:11 PM.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 07-06-2005 12:02:20 AM
I don't know about the rest, but as far as targetting drone is concerned, I believe that unenhanced it's 3/4 of an Accuracy SO. Each added ToHit SO is like adding another 1/4 Acc SO to every attack power you have (except for the mines, I believe).

Me, personally, I'd think 3-4 slots is plenty, unless you plan on fighting purples all the time.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-06-2005 12:07:17 AM
How to be an awesome blaster.

Step 1: Delete Blaster
Step 2: Make a Defender
Step 3: Profit

Steven Steve
posted 07-06-2005 12:52:19 AM
Ah, the ever popular "ironic slapstick restart" method.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 07-06-2005 01:03:17 AM
When I used to play CoH I heard the nugget of wisdom that you shouldn't take Rise of the Phoenix because you should not be taking powers for contingencies in which you are dead, but rather for situations in which you can better remain alive.

On the other hand, it seems really funny.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-06-2005 01:22:56 AM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Gunslinger Moogle!
When I used to play CoH I heard the nugget of wisdom that you shouldn't take Rise of the Phoenix because you should not be taking powers for contingencies in which you are dead, but rather for situations in which you can better remain alive.

On the other hand, it seems really funny.

I can't speak for blasters, but for tankers Rise of the Phoenix is very useful. The reasoning is that if things go wrong, there is not always a healer around to rez. Only two sets that I can recall (Empathy and Darkness) have powers to rez others. ROTP offers another advantage over using awakens in that it either knocks targets back or disorients (can't remember which) and does not come with a disorient. This allows you some time to get away, even if you're soloing.

Edit: Oops, forgot about Radiation having a rez also.

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 07-06-2005 at 01:23 AM.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-06-2005 02:32:57 AM
quote:
Fazum'Zen Fastfist stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Ah, the ever popular "ironic slapstick restart" method.

Actually, it wasn't meant as slapstick. As things currently stand, an defender built for offense will do damage either nearing or, in many cases, surpassing blaster damage after about level 35 or so. They also have more HP, their blast sets (excluding the two shared sets) have very nice debuffs attached to them, and their buff/debuff powers make them more wanted in groups.

P.S.

Assault rifle sucks. Not because of the powers or anything, but it looks like a dorky modified Super Soaker.

"And this is how, with a little duct tape, you can turn 9 guns into 1 gun."

Sakkra fucked around with this message on 07-06-2005 at 02:33 AM.

KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 07-06-2005 06:53:43 AM
I was under the impression that the epic power pools were linked directly to the chosen power set. ie: only Fire blasters could take the fire epic powers.

edit: I was also under the impression that defender hps were nerfed down to be in line with controllers, and had a 30% or so penalty to their damage output.. so I fail to see how even the most offensive defender could come close to surpassing a blaster

KaLourin fucked around with this message on 07-06-2005 at 06:55 AM.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 07-06-2005 07:06:17 AM
quote:
KaLourin wrote, obviously thinking too hard:
I was under the impression that the epic power pools were linked directly to the chosen power set. ie: only Fire blasters could take the fire epic powers.

edit: I was also under the impression that defender hps were nerfed down to be in line with controllers, and had a 30% or so penalty to their damage output.. so I fail to see how even the most offensive defender could come close to surpassing a blaster

That epic knowledge is incorrect. The only thing the epic power pools are linked to is the archetype.

As for defender attacks, their bonuses lie in the fact that they can be massively buffed because they're wielded by a defender, and the secondary effects of the powers are head and shoulders above the same powers for the blasters. Seriously, a defenders attacks will get strong, and even if they don't do much damage, they will fuck your shit up so you can't work at full strength.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 07-06-2005 11:04:23 AM
quote:
Mooj had this to say about Cuba:
That epic knowledge is incorrect. The only thing the epic power pools are linked to is the archetype.

As for defender attacks, their bonuses lie in the fact that they can be massively buffed because they're wielded by a defender, and the secondary effects of the powers are head and shoulders above the same powers for the blasters. Seriously, a defenders attacks will get strong, and even if they don't do much damage, they will fuck your shit up so you can't work at full strength.

I was a tiny god. Thats all I cared about.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
KaLourin
Illanae's Stooge!
posted 07-06-2005 04:49:59 PM
quote:
Mooj stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:

Then the comment Sakk made about defenders surpassing blaster damage is misleading, as we're no longer factoring raw damage output but overall effectiveness, in which case... yes.. Defenders will rock the llama's pajamas.

Dont make me slap you so hard your bucket spins around, and around,and stops sideways,thus confusing you, and making you run about London wearing your bucket, a g-string, and carrying a stick,smacking the ground while yelling "MAGICALLY DELICIOUS! MAGICALLY FUCKING DELICIOUS!"- {Tal} to Mortious
Hebrew 9:3- 'And the Lord said unto me, "Dude, there isn't a K in covenant."' - Snoota

This beer drops trou and fucks your mouth with pure hoppy goodness. - Karnaj
Malkav
C'mon, fear the fangs... plz
posted 07-06-2005 05:13:36 PM
I can say definatably that a single defender is completely incapable of exceeding blaster damage with the sets that currently exist, there has been speculation on the I5 defender sets, but noone has used them yet. A defender can approach blaster level damage if they are radiation or dark primary, by using enervating field and tar patch on the enemies to boost their damage 30% of the enhanced value, this will allow them to mearly spend 1.3 times the end to do 86% of blaster damage until they run out of endurance, a dark defender with a heavily slotted tar patch can hit 106% of blaster damage 15 seconds after starting combat without mez protection. All of those numbers are based on a single defender however, if you get a large group of defenders fighting no mezzing enemies they are pretty much the strongest group in the game, particularly an all radiation, or all radiation and one or two defenders that can mez protect, group it will rip through anything in the game short of the hammidon, as demonstrated by Buffer Overrun on the Freedom server.
Silently, the unnamed Senshi drew a small jewel-hilted athame from some form of pocket-space, and lightly ran it across the back of her left hand. Good, she wasn't one of those fools that slashed their palm open whenever one of the various reasons to use blood arose. I did the same with my own vorpal-bladed athame. It was a much plainer affair than my counterpart's, but I bet hers couldn't call up a higher-level demon just by carving a smiley face in the ground.
-Ranma in Can it get any worse by Dark Phoenix
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 07-07-2005 02:30:57 AM
quote:
El Cuchillo's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
I don't know about the rest, but as far as targetting drone is concerned, I believe that unenhanced it's 3/4 of an Accuracy SO. Each added ToHit SO is like adding another 1/4 Acc SO to every attack power you have (except for the mines, I believe).

Me, personally, I'd think 3-4 slots is plenty, unless you plan on fighting purples all the time.

Thanks. Anyone else have any comments on my build besides "blasters suck lolz"?

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 07-07-2005 03:25:03 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Noxhil2:
Thanks. Anyone else have any comments on my build besides "blasters suck lolz"?

Drop hurdle and take swift instead at that level, then take health.

El Cuchillo
RETARD! DO NOT FEED!
posted 07-07-2005 04:01:48 AM
quote:
Sakkra had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Drop hurdle and take swift instead at that level, then take health.

Eh, he's already got SS, if he's going to drop Swift or Hurdle for Health, he should drop Swift. To an SSer, Swift would really only be used during those few seconds of supression.

As for Health, unslotted Health adds 33% to your regen, which takes the 0->full time from 4 minutes to 3 minutes (one SO will take another 15 seconds or so off it, six SOs will take it to 2 minutes exactly). Will it keep you from dying when you're under attack? Maybe every once in a great while, but it's a downtime reducer more than anything.

Strip Club - Online Comic Reader and Archiver for Linux and Windows (and maybe OSX)
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Pancake
posted 07-07-2005 11:31:40 AM
Drop fire mastery and take munitions, and for the love of god, you are going to run out of endurance faster than (insert something witty here). 4 SOs put into targeting drone maxes it out, so if you want to put 6 slots into it, put 2 end redutions.

I would recommend taking flight instead of jump. since you have SS anyways, hover is useful because most enemies can't get within close enough range to one hit kill you.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: