EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Oil shortage my ass
Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 06-30-2005 08:49:33 PM
Link!
Veni, vidi, vici
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-30-2005 09:09:11 PM
So, other than a self-serving corporate assessment from people hoping to get rich, do you have any data?

The term "shortage" is also a misnomer, as it's the demand side increasing rapidly rather than the supply side dwindling that is the problem. Why don't you look at China's projected requirements over the next 20 years, and report back to the class?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 06-30-2005 09:23:04 PM
Article on discover backing up the numbers

I'm looking for more, but that at least provides some backing.

As for supply outracing demand, as I understand it, these plants can be built on almost any land-fill, thus providing a large supply for the forseeable future.

That having been said, China still scares me, and I retract the title as it applys to them.

Veni, vidi, vici
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-30-2005 09:29:53 PM
You'll also want to know that there are different kinds of oil, and it's the more volatile ones that are in high demand. These seem to imply they produce kerosene or diesel or something, which is nice, but may not be a universal solution.

It's a positive step, but I don't think we should expect oil prices to plummet or the shortages to end any time soon. What we need is resumption of nuclear power research.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Tristan
Vidi, vici, veni.
Nae's Stooge
posted 06-30-2005 09:37:52 PM
Is it reasearch that is the problem with nuclear at the moment? Fusion is nice, but I thought there were plenty of viable fission designs, but they are not being built to the the phobia people have about nuclear power.
Veni, vidi, vici
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-30-2005 09:53:32 PM
quote:
Bloodsage still thinks SARS jokes are topical, as evidenced by:
It's a positive step, but I don't think we should expect oil prices to plummet or the shortages to end any time soon. What we need is resumption of nuclear power research.

France just got ITER, so construction is going to begin soon. Commercially viable fusion might be around when I'm seventy, though when I'm ninety is more likely.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Talonus
Loner
posted 06-30-2005 09:58:07 PM
Biofuel will never live up to oil. (Ok, the site itself isn't scientific. Its links are good though.) The major problem with biofuels is that they simply do not produce as much energy as oil does, and would never be able to fully replace it.

That is not to say it is not useful, as long as its used in addition to energy sources that are used today. Brazil has made great strides with it and roughly ~40% (I forget the exact number) of its power comes from renewable sources. Still, the majority of their power comes from the standard sources we see today and there's quite a different economy. The US has begun to look at it as a result of this success, but its doubtful we could ever rely fully on it.

Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-30-2005 09:59:46 PM
quote:
And coming in at #1 is Tristan with "Reply." I'm Casey Casem.
Is it reasearch that is the problem with nuclear at the moment? Fusion is nice, but I thought there were plenty of viable fission designs, but they are not being built to the the phobia people have about nuclear power.

It's not so much a matter of research in the sense of some dude in a lab coat looking at a beaker of something, but rather in the sense of engineering a more efficient nuclear power plant, and standardizing designs. Since there is a moratorium on building new nuclear plants here in the states, research hasn't been seriously done since the early seventies. A new batch of standardized plants would cut both production and maintenance costs, making what is already the cheapest source of power even cheaper.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Maradon!
posted 06-30-2005 10:29:24 PM
quote:
x--KarnajO-('-'Q) :
It's not so much a matter of research in the sense of some dude in a lab coat looking at a beaker of something, but rather in the sense of engineering a more efficient nuclear power plant, and standardizing designs. Since there is a moratorium on building new nuclear plants here in the states, research hasn't been seriously done since the early seventies. A new batch of standardized plants would cut both production and maintenance costs, making what is already the cheapest source of power even cheaper.

In other words, it's the fault of the environmentalists.

Peter
Pancake
posted 06-30-2005 10:34:31 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Bloodsage wrote:
You'll also want to know that there are different kinds of oil, and it's the more volatile ones that are in high demand. These seem to imply they produce kerosene or diesel or something, which is nice, but may not be a universal solution.....

Well #2 oil has a high demand for heating homes. Not to mention if the price of Diesel keeps going up(which they usally corallate into a demand in home heating oil), It might pay for trucks to switch off to it if they can get it cheaper.

That anything into oil stuff, It's pretty old from what my old man told me, In fact most refinery's use the process to strip heavy oils into things like gas and such. Not quite the same thing, called a cat cracker. I would have to call him up to find out what can be change into what.

and from the way I have had it explained, the biggest reason for the high cost of oil is not so much supply issues, but speculation on it.

--Also Bio fuels will only become accepted when they cost the same or less than fossil fuels, which they don't yet. Plus Bio fuels cannot produce the type of oil used in power plants and large transports.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-30-2005 11:28:36 PM
quote:
From the book of Tristan, chapter 3, verse 16:
Is it reasearch that is the problem with nuclear at the moment?

The main problem with nuclear power is the question of what to do with the leftovers. There's really no good way to dispose of or contain it for long periods of time.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 07-01-2005 02:39:37 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Tron:
The main problem with nuclear power is the question of what to do with the leftovers. There's really no good way to dispose of or contain it for long periods of time.

That's primarily due to the ban on reprocessing. We could dramaticly reduce waste if instead of storing the spent fuel rods we reprocessed them and used what we could. It's just a small annoyance that you end up with weapons grade plutonium. It isn't like the stuff isn't under incredibly tight control already.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 07-01-2005 07:23:51 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
it's the more volatile ones that are in high demand.

Volatile gas? I hear if you give Maradon the Chili of the Damned, you get a lot of volatile gas. We didn't hear from CBTao for days after that last run.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

CBTao
Pancake
posted 07-01-2005 08:01:12 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
Volatile gas? I hear if you give Maradon the Chili of the Damned, you get a lot of volatile gas. We didn't hear from CBTao for days after that last run.

Jesus god I wish it had only lasted days. Bill is fucking banned from canned meat products untill 06 at the earliest.

Maradon!
posted 07-02-2005 04:38:30 AM
teehee
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: