EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Dear Friends.
Sean
posted 06-25-2005 09:51:18 PM
If you don't know what Dear Friends is by now, then I suppose there just isn't any hope for you. Turn in your geek badge and kindly exit the building.

The Atlanta show wrapped up a scant two hours ago, of which I was in attendance, and I can only say that I am stunned. I've always been a fan of classical music, video game music, concerts in general, and anything else you can really think of.. But this is a fucking Shock and Awe campaign against anyone with a passion for music.

The upcoming concert dates and locations are in places that I recognize as having a decent number of 'Cresters within acceptable (500 fucking miles? You must go see this) driving ranges, so I must almost violently urge people to see the shows in question.

It is a solid two hours of incredible music with tears of both joy and sadness. I've never before seen a group of people so large moved by something so seemingly simple as a song. (Aeris's Theme, )
Most of the song choices are highlighted by CGI from their respective games interlaced with live video of the actual performers, giving it a half-AMV feel that really really works, if you can't be assed to watch the actual orchestra play.

However, I am sad to say that it peaks early with the opening choice of song: Liberi Fatali, from FF8. It is a perfect opening, but the rest of the song list lacks the raw driving power of Fatali to properly follow up. That is, until the conducter hauls the choir back on stage for an encore. Of One Wing Angel. And then he does it again, if the audience fucking explodes like we did tonight. I've been to Metallica, Sugar Ray and Goo Goo Dolls concerts, and at none of them have I seen an audience respond so quickly and riotously as we did for the opening notes of Angel.

Just un-fucking-believable. Sell your shoes to see this one, folks.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-25-2005 10:39:14 PM
Still no date for a Washington concert.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 06-25-2005 10:41:37 PM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Pirotess:
Still no date for a Washington concert.

I've been lamenting this fact myself. I'm thinking about finding a way to steal Sean's memory of going, thus denying him of it and granting it to myself, but then I'm afraid I'll remember myself as Sean. And that's SCARY.

Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 06-25-2005 10:52:54 PM
I just got back from that myself. I think shock and awe is about the best way to put it. This is music that a lot of us have grown up with, and it's wonderful to hear it not only scored for orchestra but so solidly and carefully done. Just as an example, the chorus seamlessly fixed my one pet peeve in One Winged Angel--it ought to be "Estuans interius ira vehementi". They just flat nailed it.

Oh by the way, any idea what was up with all the fog in the lobby afterwards?

Iulius Czar fucked around with this message on 06-25-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-25-2005 10:58:30 PM
Any word of a possible CD?

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Sean
posted 06-25-2005 11:05:37 PM
quote:
Iulius Czar, what the hell are you doin' out here? You oughta be in bed.
Oh by the way, any idea what was up with all the fog in the lobby afterwards?

They do that at rock concerts so you can see the beams from the spotlights. Apparently there was some little mini-concert out in the lobby while we were rocking out to Nobuo. And I didn't know you were Georgian.

Lyinar: There's one already out, or so I've been told. I have a few MP3 tracks, and they rock.

Sean fucked around with this message on 06-25-2005 at 11:06 PM.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-25-2005 11:09:38 PM
quote:
Sean had this to say about Duck Tales:
Lyinar: There's one already out, or so I've been told. I have a few MP3 tracks, and they rock.

People might be confusing it with the orchestrated FFV music album of the same name.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 06-25-2005 11:41:12 PM
Nothing good ever comes to Memphis
Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 06-25-2005 11:53:26 PM
I wanted to go...so...badly...but I couldn't afford to. Spent all my money on college stuff.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Janus.
I am not a woman
posted 06-26-2005 12:11:33 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Any word of a possible CD?

There is one from another concert tour, the one in CA I belive. It has all the songs that are played in Dear Friends, well the were played in Chicago at least.
Alaan
posted 06-26-2005 12:16:16 AM
quote:
Janus. had this to say about Cuba:
There is one from another concert tour, the one in CA I belive. It has all the songs that are played in Dear Friends, well the were played in Chicago at least.

I have one that is from Japan that is the identical play list to the Chicago one. Will attempt to FTP it to WR.

And yes, it is fucking awesome. Our One Wing Angel was better than yours though because the one chorus guy that panned the camera to looked so very angry while singing.

Also, did you have the trippy mismatching CG for Love Grows from FF8? They were showing the invasion scene, and missiles, and other random shit during it for us.

Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-26-2005 12:26:35 AM
FTP to what?

Maradon!
posted 06-26-2005 12:48:03 AM
I never liked One Winged Angel. I don't see what the fuss is about, it always struck me as a very goofy sounding song.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 06-26-2005 12:52:07 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Captain Planet:
I never liked One Winged Angel. I don't see what the fuss is about, it always struck me as a very goofy sounding song.

Holy shit, for once Maradon and I agree on something.

One Winged Angel is such a highly overrated piece. I can think of a half dozen songs I'd rather hear in an encore than that one.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-26-2005 01:31:06 AM
goofylol

I knew I should've bought tickets to Dear Friends in Atlanta. Shit.

Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 06-26-2005 02:19:28 AM
There definately needs to be a Seattle concert.. IGN announced one at some point, and it was listed on the Seattle Symphony website, but then it disappeared and never became official
Azrael Heavenblade
Damn Dirty Godmoder
posted 06-26-2005 02:33:52 AM
Dammit, it's coming to Minneapolis, but too early! I'm not going to be moving there until August. Grr...maybe it'll show up in Phoenix or Santa Fe, or somewhere within driving distance...
"The basic tool for manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them." - Philip K. Dick
Damnati
Filthy
posted 06-26-2005 03:09:59 AM
Methinks I'm going to buy tickets to the San Diego one as soon as I know if I have the cash for it (prolly tomrrow evening).
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Zair
The Imp
posted 06-26-2005 03:55:18 AM
I loved the concert. Saw it in Chicago with RodentKing. It was amazing, especially the encore. I have nothing original to post besides gushing for the concert though.
Sean
posted 06-26-2005 07:52:24 AM
quote:
Alaan didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death, or victory.
And yes, it is fucking awesome. Our One Wing Angel was better than yours though because the one chorus guy that panned the camera to looked so very angry while singing.

Also, did you have the trippy mismatching CG for Love Grows from FF8? They were showing the invasion scene, and missiles, and other random shit during it for us.

We had several choir members who looked like they wanted to eat someone's face while they sang Angel.

And I can't remember, I've never liked Love Grows too much. Vamo Alla Flamenco was another one of the great ones,

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Snoota
Now I am become Death, shatterer of worlds
posted 06-26-2005 09:53:59 AM
This thread is why I never admit to anyone that I come here.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-26-2005 01:09:24 PM
Which song was Love Grows?

Alaan
posted 06-26-2005 01:27:02 PM
Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 06-26-2005 02:20:18 PM
Why is there no Las Vegas concert date? This makes me cry inside. And outside too.
Densetsu
NOT DRYSART
posted 06-26-2005 02:33:10 PM
The Texas concert is in Fort Worth, on July 1, and that's so close to me I can't afford NOT to go.

Except I will be in Scottland on July 1.

[vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/vader]

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl, we ate lobster, drank piña coladas. At sunset, we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over, and over?
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 06-26-2005 03:13:18 PM
quote:
Check out the big brain on Sakkra!
Why is there no Las Vegas concert date? This makes me cry inside. And outside too.

If there was a concert in Vegas, I could go. I would go. I'd blackmail and bribe anyone and everyone I could to go.

Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 06-26-2005 09:19:38 PM
See, I just don't get that. Vegas is one of the larger spots in the United States for concerts of any sort, but so few of these unique shows seem to realize that! It pisses me off to no end.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
posted 06-27-2005 01:05:44 AM
quote:
Alaan had this to say about the Spice Girls:
FF8 - Love Grows

Ah, I always just considered that the instrumental Eyes On Me.

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 06-28-2005 02:14:03 PM
Dancing Mad > One Winged Angel
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 06-28-2005 06:58:12 PM
quote:
Sakkra impressed everyone with:
Dancing Mad > One Winged Angel

YAES!

Damnati
Filthy
posted 07-15-2005 02:13:30 AM
I ressurect this thread because I just got back from the San Diego performance. If not for the horrendously bad vocalists and the dumbass military helicopters buzzing the place (it was at an outdoor venue) the performance would've be perfect. As it was, the orchestra itself performed superbly and the response was predictably riotous when when we got two performances of One Winged Angel (seemed like two versions; the second sounded more like the one from the game). Well worth the money.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Byrnie
Pancake
posted 07-15-2005 04:34:07 AM
Dear Friends can die and go to hell..They cancelled the Minneapolis showing

Byrnie fucked around with this message on 07-15-2005 at 04:34 AM.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 07-15-2005 09:35:51 AM
There is no good reason this should not be showing in New York.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Somu Icewalker
Also known as Diet Dr. Evil
posted 07-15-2005 03:15:00 PM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle probably says this to all the girls:
There is no good reason this should not be showing in New York.

Seconded! Anywhere in New York would work

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: