EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A debate I was having
Mr. Parcelan
posted 06-11-2005 09:37:59 PM
Can dogs be vegan?

My friend says yes and I say she'd be turning her dogs into pussies. She says that rawhide and most dog foods are treated with harmful chemicals.

Who is right?

diadem
eet bugz
posted 06-11-2005 09:40:25 PM
dogs are herbaovres? i didn't know they could even survive without eating meat
play da best song in da world or me eet your soul
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 06-11-2005 09:40:34 PM
Unless you're feeding your dog raw beef all the time, he or she won't notice it.

Kibble is kibble is kibble. Just like, as Maradon says, M&Ms and Salts all taste the same.

Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 06-11-2005 09:44:09 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan probably says this to all the girls:
She says that rawhide and most dog foods are treated with harmful chemicals.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would they treat dog foods and treats with harmful chemicals and poisons?

Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-11-2005 10:11:58 PM
IIRC, dogs aren't far enough evolved from wolves to be considered their own species. Even if they are, I doubt any canine authority would classify them as herbivores or even omnivores. Your best bet is to ask your local vet.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

`Doc
Cold in an Alley
posted 06-11-2005 10:47:41 PM
While dogs can eat the same foods we eat without getting sick, they don't have the ability to derive nutrients from plant matter. Instead, their systems are designed to extract nutrients from more parts of an animal than ours do. If a dog, or cat, or any carnivore for that matter, doesn't eat meat, it'll die of malnutrition. Your friend may argue that vitamin pills supply missing nutrients, but vitamin pills tend to be a poor substitute for the real thing, no matter what species takes them.
Base eight is just like base ten, really... if you're missing two fingers. - Tom Lehrer
There are people in this world who do not love their fellow human beings, and I hate people like that! - Tom Lehrer
I want to be a race car passenger; just a guy who bugs the driver. "Say man, can I turn on the radio? You should slow down. Why do we gotta keep going in circles? Can I put my feet out the window? Man, you really like Tide..." - Mitch Hedberg
Please keep your arms, legs, heads, tails, tentacles, pseudopods, wings, and/or other limb-like structures inside the ride at all times.
Please submit all questions, inquests, and/or inquiries, in triplicate, to the Department of Redundancy Department, Division for the Management of Division Management Divisions.

Maradon!
posted 06-11-2005 10:53:24 PM
In short, your friend is an idiot.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-11-2005 10:57:28 PM
Remember the poppler episode of Futurama and the hippies showed off their lion they taught to eat tofu?
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 06-12-2005 06:25:09 AM
Because sharp, pointy teeth are soooo good for mashing up plant matter.
"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
leckzilla!
Squeak!
posted 06-12-2005 06:44:51 AM
quote:
Maradon! had this to say about Cuba:
In short, your friend is an idiot.

And can I add probably shouldn't be keeping dogs if she thinks like that.

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-12-2005 07:58:31 AM
Even if they are willing to eat anything, including their own vomit, dogs are all carnivorous. Your friend is wrong, and her dogs would be the ones which suffer for it.
Azakias
Never wore the pants, thus still wields the power of unused (_|_)
posted 06-12-2005 08:15:20 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Pvednes:
Even if they are willing to eat anything, including their own vomit, dogs are all carnivorous. Your friend is wrong, and her dogs would be the ones which suffer for it.

I agree.

If she wants a plant killer instead of a meat eater, tell her to get a rabbit.

"Age by age have men stood up and said to the world, 'From what has come before me, I was forged, but I am new and greater than my forebears.' And so each man walks the world in ruin, abandoned and untried. Less than the whole of his being"
Peter
Pancake
posted 06-12-2005 08:20:50 AM
Shw would havew to atop feeding them dog food, Since they add in animal protien to all of them, plus like Bone meal I think. Betting she is saying these things and has a flea collor on the dog too.
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-12-2005 08:40:47 AM
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 06-12-2005 08:52:05 PM
quote:
Zaza's momma typed this shizzle:
Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 06-12-2005 10:23:02 PM
quote:
When the babel fish was in place, it was apparent Karnaj said:
IIRC, dogs aren't far enough evolved from wolves to be considered their own species. Even if they are, I doubt any canine authority would classify them as herbivores or even omnivores. Your best bet is to ask your local vet.

While dogs are very closely related to wolves, they are a different species. They are closely enough related to wolves to mate with each other and produce successful (ie: fertile) hybrids, however, which is about as close as you can get while still being different species.

And Parcelan, don't listen to your friend. Dogs are strictly carnivores.

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
Malbi
posted 06-12-2005 10:32:08 PM
quote:
Mr. Crabs had this to say about John Romero:
While dogs are very closely related to wolves, they are a different species. They are closely enough related to wolves to mate with each other and produce successful (ie: fertile) hybrids, however, which is about as close as you can get while still being different species.

And Parcelan, don't listen to your friend. Dogs are strictly carnivores.

Sorry that is incorrect, the fact that dogs and wolves CAN produce viable fertile offspring proves they are not differant species.

from Dictionary.com first definition within the biological meanings for Species
Biology.
A fundamental category of taxonomic classification, ranking below a genus or subgenus and consisting of related organisms capable of interbreeding

Malbi fucked around with this message on 06-12-2005 at 10:36 PM.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Mr. Crabs
Pancake
posted 06-12-2005 10:40:38 PM
quote:
From the book of Malbi, chapter 3, verse 16:
Sorry that is incorrect, the fact that dogs and wolves CAN produce viable fertile offspring proves they are not differant species.

Actually, your statement is incorrect. There are many organisms that are different species that can produce viable offspring with each other. Look at the plant kingdom. The fact is, dog and wolf DNA is different enough from one another that they are considered seperate species. If anything, the dog is a sub-species of the wolf. I'm speaking with some confidence here, as I have taken a class on genetics that focused on this precise example.

Anyway, this argument is meaningless due to the fact that any man-made system of classifying organisms is full of problems.

Edit: Your definition of species is just one of many. The fact is, there are many other factors that go into classifying organisms. Regardless of whether or not you think dogs SHOULD be in the same species of wolves, most biologists place dogs and wolves apart.

Mr. Crabs fucked around with this message on 06-12-2005 at 10:43 PM.

There's a King on a throne with his eyes torn out.
There's a Blind Man looking for a shadow of doubt.
There's a Rich Man sleeping on a golden bed.
There's a Skeleton choking on a crust of bread.
Malbi
posted 06-12-2005 11:02:50 PM
quote:
Mr. Crabs said this about your mom:
Actually, your statement is incorrect. There are many organisms that are different species that can produce viable offspring with each other. Look at the plant kingdom. The fact is, dog and wolf DNA is different enough from one another that they are considered seperate species. If anything, the dog is a sub-species of the wolf. I'm speaking with some confidence here, as I have taken a class on genetics that focused on this precise example.

Anyway, this argument is meaningless due to the fact that any man-made system of classifying organisms is full of problems.

Edit: Your definition of species is just one of many. The fact is, there are many other factors that go into classifying organisms. Regardless of whether or not you think dogs SHOULD be in the same species of wolves, most biologists place dogs and wolves apart.

most of said problems are removed when you use a monophyletic classification system.

Doing a little more research on Canidae taxomy several intersting things are popping up, one Canis Rufus (Red wolf) has increasing evidence of being a hybrid of Canis Latrans (Coyote)and Canis Lupus (Grey wolf) this will likely result in Canis Latrans being reclassified as Canis Lupus Latrans a subspecies of Lupus where it shall join the ranks of Canis Lupus Dingo (Dingo) and Canis Lupus Hallstromi (New Guinea Singing Dog(

I also found this:
Though wolves and dogs are considered the same species (dogs are Canis lupus familiaris), there are many differences that domestication has wrought on dogs. One view is that there were four known races of grey wolf that have contributed to the dog. Canis lupus metris-optimae gave rise to all the sheepdogs and collies. Canis lupus intermedius developed into the hunting and working dogs like huskies, spaniels, setters, and pointers. Canis lupus leineri gave rise to the scent and sight hounds, and terriers. The final subspecies, Canis lupus inostranzewi, gave rise to the mastiff family of dogs, which includes the Saint Bernard, bulldog, boxer, Newfoundland, Labrador retriever, and standard schnauzer. (Source: Genetics and Molecular Biology ) (Source: Moore, Ruth. Evolution. Time life Inc: New York, 1962. Page 86.)
(NOTE: the source listed here is the source that my source used for his information)

Your confusion is the differance between something being a species and a SUBspecies, sub species can interbreed, which is why I expect Latrans to be reclassfied once its agreed that Canis Lupus and it are interbreedable.

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-14-2005 10:22:19 AM
quote:
Mr. Crabs had this to say about Duck Tales:

Failed biology huh?

The definition of a species in the higher forms of life is a group which can interbreed and produce viable offspring. A lion and a tiger can produce offspring, but they're sterile. Not viable. Horses and donkeys produce mules. Again, sterile, not viable. The same goes for all of domain Eukarya.

As for dogs and wolves, Canis lupus familiaris, and Canis lupus, respectively.

[Edit: *tags Malbi* That's actually rather interesting, I'd assumed they were mostly from fairly similar stock, though that makes a lot more sense.]

Pvednes fucked around with this message on 06-14-2005 at 10:28 AM.

UBT
Pancake
posted 06-14-2005 12:42:50 PM
I agree with everyone else that dogs don't eat vegetables. The only time they even come close is when they eat grass when they are about to vomit. Just simply looking at a dogs teeth is enough to call your friend stupid.
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 06-14-2005 12:46:15 PM
I don't know about vegan, but I know a lot of vetrinarians say that raw, unprocessed meat is better for animals than processed food. There are lots of websites selling unprocessed meat "meant" for cats and dogs, but it's pretty expensive. I wonder if we feed our pets crappy food for the same reason that so many people get the majority of their food from fast food restaurants? o.o
"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Malbi
posted 06-14-2005 01:29:22 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Kait wrote:
I don't know about vegan, but I know a lot of vetrinarians say that raw, unprocessed meat is better for animals than processed food. There are lots of websites selling unprocessed meat "meant" for cats and dogs, but it's pretty expensive. I wonder if we feed our pets crappy food for the same reason that so many people get the majority of their food from fast food restaurants? o.o

yes, we are cheap. welcome to the human race

Monica
I've got an owie on my head :(
posted 06-14-2005 01:33:13 PM
My dog will eat peas.
tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 06-14-2005 01:54:34 PM
I've seen my dog eat spinach, brocolli, and potatoes among other things but there's not really much they can get out of veggies.
There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Peter
Pancake
posted 06-14-2005 04:50:51 PM
My folks have two dogs that will eat anything. One ate up linolium flooring, The other one eats anything that is not moveing fast enough, includeing veggies, Large chuncks of wood, plastic bags...I swear he is part goat.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-15-2005 01:53:24 AM
I know a vegan couple that feed their pets purely vegan for about five years now. I have no idea if the pets, a cat and a dog (don't know the breed, but looks like a slightly smaller version of Bloodsage's dog), are happy, but they are healthy.
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: