EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Has anyone ever had a lucid dream?
Mayor of Townsville
Pancake
posted 06-10-2005 08:01:53 PM
Lucid dream = being aware that you are in a dream, and thus being able to control yourself in it

I just had one of my first a couple days ago. It wasn't that exciting, though. All I got to do was control a school bus with my newfound psychic powers. I then tried to transform into a dragon. I think I tried it wrong, though, because instead of just thinking that I was a dragon, I tried to power-up like a DBZ character. So, because I tried too hard, I got one of those crappy false awakenings, where I think I'm awake, but I really just woke up inside another dream. So, I lost my awareness of being in a dream.

Share your experiences now!

The city of Townsville... is entirely mine!
Mod
Pancake
posted 06-10-2005 08:31:13 PM
Used to have those all the time when I was a kid, although it was mostly nightmares, I'd usually just wake myself up when I noticed that I was dreaming.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 06-10-2005 08:37:29 PM
Yeah, I get those sometimes. I rarely dream at all, though, even regular dreams. Lately, I've just been getting little dream-snippets, which confuse the hell out of me since I can't make out what the dream is about and the snippet is always really weird. Like last one, I was holding in my hand before me a fist-sized pink gelatin turtle, looking at it with an expression of extreme awe. AND THAT IS ALL I REMEMBER. What the crap.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 06-10-2005 08:41:22 PM
It's different for me, usually inside the actual dream I can't control it at all, but once I semi-wake up, I can usually continue the dream with it for the most part under my control. I actually don't mind letting my dreams take me where they will, considering how wild my imagination is. Some truly interesting thoughts have come from this ol' brain of mine before

Last night I dreamed I was a cute teen-age blonde robot who knew she was going to be deactivated in a week, and was scared to "die." I really wish I'd stayed asleep long enough to see how it would have turned out

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Goma
Pancake
posted 06-10-2005 08:43:20 PM
Almost always whenever I get a lucid dream I wake up. The moment I gain full control of my actions I basically think to myself "Hey, I'm dreaming, what the hell." and I wake up.
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 06-10-2005 08:45:33 PM
quote:
Goma had this to say about the Spice Girls:
Almost always whenever I get a lucid dream I wake up. The moment I gain full control of my actions I basically think to myself "Hey, I'm dreaming, what the hell." and I wake up.

Poor Goma
I wish I could do that in a nightmare.
"Hey, it's a nightmare, what the hell."

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 06-10-2005 09:10:52 PM
You know, I don't care what anyone says. I liked Vanilla Sky.
Kait
posted 06-10-2005 09:12:42 PM
quote:
Father McKenzie had this to say about pies:
You know, I don't care what anyone says. I liked Vanilla Sky.

I know it creeped the hell out of me.
The jaw breaking off...ugh.ughughughughughugh
*is now freaked out all over again*
Thanks for that -_-

-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Razor
posted 06-10-2005 09:52:58 PM
quote:
Kait was naked while typing this:
It's different for me, usually inside the actual dream I can't control it at all, but once I semi-wake up, I can usually continue the dream with it for the most part under my control. I actually don't mind letting my dreams take me where they will, considering how wild my imagination is. Some truly interesting thoughts have come from this ol' brain of mine before

Last night I dreamed I was a cute teen-age blonde robot who knew she was going to be deactivated in a week, and was scared to "die." I really wish I'd stayed asleep long enough to see how it would have turned out

I love the rqg

Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 06-10-2005 10:07:37 PM
see: vorago.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Kait
posted 06-10-2005 10:20:13 PM
quote:
Razor spewed forth this undeniable truth:

I love the rqg

-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 06-10-2005 11:20:54 PM
I had one this morning. I was a security guard for a small research team investigating a small, rural ghost town. Barricades had been erected around it by the townspeople before they disappeared. There had been a zombie outbreak.

So, there's this asian reporter named Miku who was dragged off by a couple of the surviving zombies. I went with a small team to find her, but we found nothing except a few dolls. One of which resembled the missing reporter.

We took them back to the camp and somebody pointed out that one looked like me. I decided to go back by myself to where we had found them for one last look around. It was up in the attic of a wooden building. Like a general store or something.

I entered the attic and used a flashlight to look around a bit when I saw something chewing on a corpse near a corner. I dropped the flashlight and reached for my gun which wasn't there. I don't know what happened to it. The thing started shambling towards me so I grabbed a pair of scissors that were conveniently nearby. It walked into the light coming from the broken roof and turned out to be an undead dog.

I stabbed it in the head immediately assuming it would die instantly, but it just kinda got stunned. I had made a small hole in its head so I started wriggling the scissors about until I could break upon the skull. I pried a large chunk of bone off where I could see the brain. I stabbed it a few times and then tore a large section out. There was about a third left inside.

The dog didn't move at all during this and was still standing and staring off into space when I was done. Then I woke up.

Kinda dull. I guess the dog was old when it died. And stupid.

Matilda Jane fucked around with this message on 06-10-2005 at 11:22 PM.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
Alaan
posted 06-10-2005 11:33:21 PM
If I ever have any control, it is usually just a brief flicker. But I've found to have dreams with any lasting impressions, reading just before going to sleep helps a lot. I had only a few dreams(I recall) during about the last month. A week ago I started reading before bed and have had dreams every night. Including going !30 MPH down a road where the Waiszlings live! And only getting a $15 fine.
Suddar
posted 06-11-2005 01:49:46 AM
I've had one lucid dream ever. The first thing I did once I realized it was a dream was run to my house, get into bed, and go to sleep. Which, in turn, caused "real me" to wake up.

Total gyp.

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-11-2005 02:13:36 AM
I've been playing video games since I was 3, and because of it, I've had too many lucid dreams to really pick one out.

However, it really pisses me off when I go to bed late (like almost every summer night), and someone wakes me up before the coolest part of the dream ends. I've asked my parents, shortly after being awoken, "Why did you wake me up?"

Also, being a gamer for the majority of my life, I can honestly say, I've had some really freakin' wierd nightmares. Some are somewhat memorable.

Demos
Pancake
posted 06-11-2005 02:27:40 AM
Cue Vorago in 3...2...1...
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Kait
posted 06-11-2005 03:09:33 AM
quote:
Willias Model 2000 was programmed to say:
I've been playing video games since I was 3, and because of it, I've had too many lucid dreams to really pick one out.

However, it really pisses me off when I go to bed late (like almost every summer night), and someone wakes me up before the coolest part of the dream ends. I've asked my parents, shortly after being awoken, "Why did you wake me up?"

Also, being a gamer for the majority of my life, I can honestly say, I've had some really freakin' wierd nightmares. Some are somewhat memorable.

I loved the dream where I was staying at a girl scout camp inside a canyon, and it turned out all the girls and counselors were all demons in disguise ^-^ Yeah, I emptied out quite a few clips in that dream.

And in my lucid dreams, I can ALWAYS fly, but it's always really slow and awkward, sort of like in CoH actually...isn't that odd?

-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 06-11-2005 03:28:47 AM
Almost all of my dreams are lucid. I find them fun and most of the time, and I let them run their course.

I have the most mindfuck dreams ever.

Vorago
A completely different kind of Buckethead
posted 06-11-2005 04:02:40 AM
quote:
Gunslinger Moogle wrote this stupid crap:
see: vorago.

quote:
Demos got all f'ed up on Angel Dust and wrote:
Cue Vorago in 3...2...1...

I used to dream lucid all the time, like 5 out of 7 nights a week, it was something I actively worked towards. No matter how much I did it though I could never outright alter the dream, no crazy dream powers or anything. Best I could do was cheat a little, stretch things a tiny bit, move a little faster, jump a little higher etc. Most of the times I would start the dream lucid, I would just be aware right from the get go, other times something would trigger it, something familiar in the dream that just click when I look at it.

I still think the coolest part of it all was still the ability to just pick something up in a dream and feel it, run your hands over it. It has weight, every little groove and notch in it you can feel, different textures feel different than the others. That item is real, you can touch it and taste it and feel it and break it but through it all you know that it is all in your head, yet there it is. Or to just sit back and really appreciate the details and scenery, man are there times I wish i could have brought a damn camera into a dream or something, heh

Ultimately I stopped trying to dream lucid and try to reverse what I had been working towards, took a long while but now I rarely ever dream lucid, once in a blue moon I do but I can live with that, heh. Largely it was because I just wasn't enjoying the dreams as much while lucid anymore, it was like having god mode on in a game, it is fun for a while but you end up having fun at the expense of the design. Knowing you are dreaming by itself changes everything about your reactions in the dream, what 'story' it had you can outright just miss because you aren't doing what you would be doing were you not lucid. I just started to wonder what I was missing, what amazing things I had walked right past because I was lucid and not really going with the dream, how many doors I should have opened but didn't.

So I decided to fix that, I still have fond memories of all the great dreams I had while lucid, but now I have many, many more about the dreams in which I wasn't.

Sean
posted 06-11-2005 04:20:15 AM
quote:
FUCK. MOTHERFUCKING SHIT. DO YOU FUCKING KNOW HOW FUCKING STUPID YOU ARE? SHIT. FUCK. It's not your fault, Vorago.
I used to dream lucid all the time, like 5 out of 7 nights a week, it was something I actively worked towards.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Gadani
U
posted 06-11-2005 04:25:19 AM
Is there a way to make yourself dream (or rememeber your dreams)?

I haven't dreamt (or remembered one) in a year or so.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-11-2005 06:37:52 AM
Have them from time to time.

Then, I haven't had a single night without remembering my dreams in two years or so.

Willias
Pancake
posted 06-11-2005 01:52:31 PM
quote:
So quoth Gadani:
Is there a way to make yourself dream (or rememeber your dreams)?

I haven't dreamt (or remembered one) in a year or so.

I hate it when I dream often. I never feel like I get a good night's sleep when I do, and if it's a nightmare, I can't go back to sleep.

Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 06-11-2005 03:10:10 PM
I rarely dream.

I can't remember even one dream invloving me being super human, using guns, fighting, etc. All my dreams are quite passive even though I've been an action gamer my whole entire life.

All the dreams I have and can remember I dislike so I guess its a good thing I don't dream alot.

Fox
Loser
posted 06-11-2005 03:27:08 PM
Something I read, that helps me remember my dreams.

Do the following as if you are commanding your mind what to do. First, think to yourself "I WILL remember my dreams." twice, then the third time, say it outloud.

I rarely have a lucid dream that I can recall. I do remember when I was younger, I was having a dream where I was wearing shoes with wings on them, that allowed me to somewhat fly. I was thinking it was really cool, and that I hoped I could transfer them to reality when I woke up.

"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than to be loved for what I'm not."
Vorago
posted 06-11-2005 06:50:43 PM
quote:
Sean obviously shouldn't have said:

Wait... I started smoking pot and that was the true cause of me not dreaming lucid? Or that I stopped smoking pot, the true cause of me dreaming lucid, which caused me to stop? Or some other third other potential meaing I cannot discern?

I'm confused

Vorago
posted 06-11-2005 06:58:41 PM
quote:
Willias had this to say about Cuba:
I hate it when I dream often. I never feel like I get a good night's sleep when I do, and if it's a nightmare, I can't go back to sleep.

Heh, strangely enough if I don't remember much of my dreams or just flat out don't have very vidid, long dreams I never feel like I got a good night's sleep. But if I have a great freaking night, my head hits that pillow and BAM, I am living a huge, complex dream of huge detail... I feel like I slept for 3 days and could run a marathon, even though I was only asleep for like 7 hours (Barely enough to function normally by my standards)

The worse I dream, the worse I feel

Ultimately I like my nightmares as much as my normal dreams, I take the good with the bad. Makes for a good character study of myself I suppose. Seeing how I react in a dream is a lot like seeing how I would react in a similar situation in real life. To myself in the dream, when I am not lucid... the dream is everything, for all extensive purposes it is real life to me for that period of time. Can't have good without the bad and I do appreciate the chances to see how I would react in less than happy situations... deaths of friends, family or even myself. Like to think it helps me understand myself better

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-11-2005 07:03:35 PM
I wish. Then maybe I could dream about something interesting. Virtually all of my dreams consist of me doing normal, everyday things with some mildly surreal slant I never think is at all strange.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Vorago
posted 06-11-2005 07:19:14 PM
Anyways, my original post was before I had to go to work so i got cut off... so now I contribute the other half of what I was going to contribute, the experiences he asked for!

Well, one of my recent lucid dream I had wasn't 100% normal, even for me. At one point during the dream I eventually realize I am dreaming, I know I am asleep and that I can wake up. Problem is I have no memory of myself outside the dream, I knew it was a dream, knew none of it was real but then I began to wonder. I began to wonder if maybe this wasn't such a nightmare after all, what if what things were like in the waking world were so horrible that this fucked up place was in fact a pleasant escape.

It was a pretty screwed up dream at this point, myself along with hundreds of people had been kidnapped by a gang of... dunno, bad guys, who were using people for target practice and experiments among other things. One of which was hooking people up to IV drips laced with motor oil to see what it would do, one of which I discover had been me.

So through the dream I am starting to feel weaker and weaker, everyone that had the oil injected into them is dying and I am going too. I know eventually I will die and wake up, nothing I can do about that now, but my greatest fear now is that maybe who I am when I wake up is someone completely different than who I am now. That the reason I cannot remember who I am outside of the dream is because who I am outside the dream isn't who I am now and that if I wake up, if I wake up and don't remember the dream who I am now is just gone, as if I never existed. That scares me worse than waking up to some godawful hell, that if I wake up I am just gone, someone else wakes up and I am just gone, never known, never forgotten.

In the end I managed to escape into some decrepit old house while on the run from the bad guys, constantly getting weaker, to try and buy a moment to just stop for a moment and wake myself up. But I get faint for a moment and fall onto my back, crashing through the eaten away floorboards into the basement where I die moments later.

Needless to say it was one seriously trippy thing to wake up from, the memories of... not knowing, of being me in the situation and just now knowing. One of those dreams I just sat there and thought about for a real long time.

And as screwed up and horrible it was, for all the fear I felt, the weakness as I slowly died, unable to stop it while fearing both being asleep and awake... I wouldn't give it up for anything, that dream is one of the dreams I will always look back upon and just remember.

Gadani
U
posted 06-13-2005 06:02:36 AM
Thanks, guys. I dreamt for the first time in as long as I can remember last night and I was fucking terrified.

Gadani fucked around with this message on 06-13-2005 at 06:03 AM.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 06-13-2005 12:53:09 PM
quote:
Gadani had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
Thanks, guys. I dreamt for the first time in as long as I can remember last night and I was fucking terrified.

I have had dreams that scare me. Then there are the ones that should scare me and they don't.

For example, the other night I dreamt I was the commander of some secret military organization. Some people from an opposing side found my hideout, which was on a secure military base. I beat them to death with a broken wooden baseball bat. While topless. When I say I beat them to death, I mean they looked like hamburger after I was done with them.

Then I had a kung-fu style battle with others that made it to my hidden tranquility pond.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 06-13-2005 12:58:34 PM
quote:
Nae stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
I have had dreams that scare me. Then there are the ones that should scare me and they don't.

For example, the other night I dreamt I was the commander of some secret military organization. Some people from an opposing side found my hideout, which was on a secure military base. I beat them to death with a broken wooden baseball bat. While topless. When I say I beat them to death, I mean they looked like hamburger after I was done with them.

Then I had a kung-fu style battle with others that made it to my hidden tranquility pond.

It's fate telling you you must direct a crazy new porn or action flick.

Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 06-13-2005 01:01:23 PM
quote:
Verily, Fizodeth doth proclaim:
It's fate telling you you must direct a crazy new porn or action flick.

oooh! Good idea! I could get Lucy Liu to play my part!

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 06-13-2005 01:01:59 PM
quote:
Nae had this to say about Duck Tales:
oooh! Good idea! I could get Lucy Liu to play my part!

I'd watch it.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: