EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: GunZ
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-06-2005 01:05:10 PM
This morning I've had a chance to play the latest goodie from Korea. It's pretty fun, a bit like a multiplayer DMC where you can do wall-running and shit. However, there are a few problems that keep it from being the best free game ever:

1. The game server is often down or full, thus actually getting into the game is a victory in and of itself.

2. Low pings are vital to making the game work. If you have some guy on dial-up come in he's gonna be hard to hit and he's gonna have a hell of a time landing hits on anyone else. And if the guy has a ping of 999 or higher, it's pretty safe to ignore him but he's the scourge of team games where new rounds can't start until all of the opposition is dead. Thus a single round can last several minutes because some jackass is running around and is impossible to kill.

3. Hitboxes are wacky, but it's hard to tell if this is also a product of latency. There are headshots but they seem to be entirely random.

If they manage to fix these problems I can easily see this becoming very popular.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 06-06-2005 03:42:20 PM
Downloaded this and installed. However I havn't been able to play yet.. as you said, the servers seem to be wonky.
Lesage
APPROVED
posted 06-06-2005 04:19:02 PM
I actually got on last night and I thought it was wonderfully fun. The flaws mentioned above are indeed there, but if you're in a good game with good people it's easy to ignore them.
Premarital sex isn't worth it! You can catch AIDS, or cancer, or testicle weevils, or a bad body image or rickets. You know what IS worth it? Making love to Jesus. Because you can't knock Him up and He'll never ask what you're thinking – cuz He already knows!
^^Good times there!

Still always, Not-Dude.

Mod
Pancake
posted 06-06-2005 04:24:20 PM
I tried to for 20 minutes to log on and failed.
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Talonus
Loner
posted 06-06-2005 04:48:04 PM
Its actually up? Game server was down all weekend for a patch and the addition of more servers, and I had heard that it wouldn't be fully restored to noonish Tuesday.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-06-2005 06:44:10 PM
It came up last night and was up until a bit before noon today. Server filled up pretty fast, though.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 06-06-2005 10:03:55 PM
This game is great, sucks that I can hardly ever connect though

Mike the Butcher fucked around with this message on 06-06-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Faelynn LeAndris
Lusty busty redheaded wood elf with sharp claws
posted 06-06-2005 10:21:05 PM
"Cannot Access Server"

"You cannot enter because there are too many users"

"Cannot Access Server"

"Cannot Access Server"

Those are the only two messages I have ever seen.

My LAUNCHCast Station
"Respect the Forest, Fear the Ranger"
I got lost for an hour and became god.
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 06-06-2005 10:24:26 PM
I was able to get on and make my character and whatnot. Interesting.. seems it's set up a bit like Gunbound, almost exactly the same interface for creating games. Is it all PvP? I read something about missions and whatnot, but didn't look too far into it.
Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-06-2005 11:30:37 PM
Okay got on and made a character and such, got to lvl4 and all that...

So where are all the missions/quests and stuff they mentioned? And all the different things we can buy? We buy em with what, and I assume the number under "Quantity" is the price or something?

So confused.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Talonus
Loner
posted 06-06-2005 11:42:11 PM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Captain Planet:
So where are all the missions/quests and stuff they mentioned? And all the different things we can buy? We buy em with what, and I assume the number under "Quantity" is the price or something?

So confused.

Quests aren't in yet. Just DM stuff now I believe.

And you buy stuff with bounty points. Price is that I think. Dunno, not in game right now and don't feel like fighting the login.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-07-2005 02:16:43 AM
*phew*

Man, I'm getting pretty good at this. The last three games I won 20/4, 20/10 and 20/7.

For me the best weapon combo is sword, dual SMG and dual revolver. Sword for CQC and knocking people down, dual SMGs as my primary range weapon suitable for short ranges and dual revolvers for a strong medium-long range punch and a fallback weapon for when I run out of SMG ammo.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-07-2005 03:24:48 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop's fortune cookie read:
*phew*

Man, I'm getting pretty good at this. The last three games I won 20/4, 20/10 and 20/7.

For me the best weapon combo is sword, dual SMG and dual revolver. Sword for CQC and knocking people down, dual SMGs as my primary range weapon suitable for short ranges and dual revolvers for a strong medium-long range punch and a fallback weapon for when I run out of SMG ammo.

It's fun. But horribly horribly unrelyable. Netcode sucks, lag sucks, loginsucks. So many issues, especially for a potentially fun game.

I need to learn how to run on walls. I can run strait up a wall, but I cant do that sidewall running everyone does. I'm a bitch with Knockdown kills though (Which is a horribly cheap and easy way to kill anyone, and it makes me feel dirty).

I also found, playing "Liquid Tension Experiment" in the backgroud really supports the game.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Blackened
posted 06-07-2005 03:29:49 AM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris had this to say about Pirotess:
It's fun. But horribly horribly unrelyable. Netcode sucks, lag sucks, loginsucks. So many issues, especially for a potentially fun game.
Thanks to SA, the game is about a hojillion (approx.) times more popular than they expected. You're going to have to expect lag if you play, now.

Edit - Downloading, gonna try this out if I can ever log in. If not, it's back to Lakeview Hotel, fuck yeah.

Blackened fucked around with this message on 06-07-2005 at 03:30 AM.

Although my distaste for you as a human being is brobdingnagian,
what I'm about to do isn't personal.
Arrenn Lightblade
Yes. Yes he is.
posted 06-07-2005 02:08:44 PM
Not bad, if I could actualy connect again.
Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 06-08-2005 08:49:33 AM
I've been playing this a lot...I'm making myself known as an honorable meleer...crazy no?
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-08-2005 08:55:24 AM
quote:
Batty attempted to be funny by writing:
I've been playing this a lot...I'm making myself known as an honorable meleer...crazy no?

Yes, especially since melee kinda sucks. If people try to melee me I usually just roll backwards and pump them full of bullets as they chase me in a perfectly straight line.

Really, melee weapons need to do at least twice the damage they are doing now.

Batty
posted 06-08-2005 09:22:20 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Robocop:
Yes, especially since melee kinda sucks. If people try to melee me I usually just roll backwards and pump them full of bullets as they chase me in a perfectly straight line.

Really, melee weapons need to do at least twice the damage they are doing now.

Yeah, they need to do far more and they need to either limit the knockdown or remove it entirely...all I ever see is people knockdown, pump bullets in. Very rarely do I get a good melee fight. I've been called a ninja though as I come out of nowhere and slice you to ribbons though.

Sabratiz
Pancake
posted 06-08-2005 09:32:08 PM
I've been trying since this morning trying to login to this game, but I haven't yet had any luck. Is there a specific time when there are less people on or something?
pain is temporary but pride is forever
Batty
posted 06-08-2005 09:41:13 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Sabratiz:
I've been trying since this morning trying to login to this game, but I haven't yet had any luck. Is there a specific time when there are less people on or something?

After 10 pm pacific seems to work best...but that's really late for eastern people.

Sabratiz
Pancake
posted 06-08-2005 10:38:45 PM
Well, ive got nothing better to do seeing as im out of school for summer.
pain is temporary but pride is forever
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 06-08-2005 10:55:50 PM
Crazy stunts, dual guns AND swords, awesome environments...I believe this to be the game I have been unconsciously searching for for so very, very long.

But I guess I'll never know. Or at least, not until the server lets me on...

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Steven Steve
posted 06-08-2005 11:36:35 PM
This game is fucking awesome! I'm level 8 right now. I can't wait to get to the higher levels... But has anyone seen the long coats? The meshes are jumbled for me sometimes. My renards are doing crap damage now haha
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 06-08-2005 11:49:51 PM
can't seem to download

any mirrors?

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 06-09-2005 12:06:54 AM
Huh. Now instead of getting "cannot access server" or "too many players" I get "Version does not match the server".

I believe they're updating.

Oh, and of course the note "Sorry, the game server is down" as it loads. Duh.

Gunslinger Moogle fucked around with this message on 06-09-2005 at 12:07 AM.

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-09-2005 12:11:20 AM
quote:
Batty had this to say about John Romero:
Yeah, they need to do far more and they need to either limit the knockdown or remove it entirely...all I ever see is people knockdown, pump bullets in. Very rarely do I get a good melee fight. I've been called a ninja though as I come out of nowhere and slice you to ribbons though.

INdeed the Knockdown unloading is guaranteed kill. Rusty Dagger attacks are actually worse since if you strafe someone, it is impossible to block and they keep you in permanent lockdown until you die... Slowly, but you'll die and there's nothing you can do about it. If yer lucky enough to manage a block out of the chain you MAY get luck, but its next to impossible to do with a strafing dagger user.

Edit: Went with Faelynn for character by the way.

Faelynn LeAndris fucked around with this message on 06-09-2005 at 12:12 AM.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Batty
posted 06-09-2005 12:14:45 AM
quote:
Faelynn LeAndris wrote this stupid crap:
INdeed the Knockdown unloading is guaranteed kill. Rusty Dagger attacks are actually worse since if you strafe someone, it is impossible to block and they keep you in permanent lockdown until you die... Slowly, but you'll die and there's nothing you can do about it. If yer lucky enough to manage a block out of the chain you MAY get luck, but its next to impossible to do with a strafing dagger user.

Edit: Went with Faelynn for character by the way.

Yeah. I use my sword almost exclusively because it's just fun. I don't really care about getting a good kill/death ratio, I don't care if I kill someone...it's just plain fun to rush in at someone and sword them to death.

That said I also pack a couple pistols for when I HAVE to deal with someone ranged.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-09-2005 12:19:24 AM
quote:
Batty wrote this stupid crap:
Yeah. I use my sword almost exclusively because it's just fun. I don't really care about getting a good kill/death ratio, I don't care if I kill someone...it's just plain fun to rush in at someone and sword them to death.

That said I also pack a couple pistols for when I HAVE to deal with someone ranged.

Yeah, I LOVE the swords. XD

I got so sick of being knocked down and gunned to death though. I had to start doing it just to be able to play, cause that is ALL they do. It's either Knockdown/Unload kill or Rust Dagger/Cheesekill in melee most of the time.

The game is fun, and I'm fairly decent at it. Not something I would pay monthly for or anything, but I'd buy it and it is a lot of fun.

My LAUNCHCast Station
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-09-2005 12:30:29 AM
You know, you can recover from a knockdown attack by attacking with your melee weapon at the right time.
Batty
posted 06-09-2005 12:36:48 AM
Learning the timing is rough though.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-09-2005 12:38:16 AM
BTW, grab the client update here.
New Age Bane
Waste Management Crisis
posted 06-09-2005 12:51:38 AM
I played this game today, and its quite fun hope I can connect again.

Doroc

What am I supposed to in here again? Oh yes something witty and oh so pretty!
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-09-2005 12:54:39 AM
They said they were working on adding new servers. Frankly they were only expecting maybe 300 people, not the 15,000 they ended up with.

Edit: In fact, they put a 2nd server up.

JooJooFlop fucked around with this message on 06-09-2005 at 12:58 AM.

Faelynn LeAndris
posted 06-09-2005 01:11:42 AM
quote:
A sleep deprived JooJooFlop stammered:
You know, you can recover from a knockdown attack by attacking with your melee weapon at the right time.

That doesn't make it any less cheap, and its not that simple first of all, and second of all due to lag issues totally unreliable.

My LAUNCHCast Station
Batty
posted 06-09-2005 01:54:15 AM
I'm playing now. Name is Zinaire, as per usual, on server 1 in Beginner Channel 1 and such.
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 06-09-2005 02:30:16 AM
Grrr, it told me the download was corrupted.

What should I do? >

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Batty
posted 06-09-2005 02:34:04 AM
Re-download? =/
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 06-09-2005 02:37:38 AM
quote:
Batty had this to say about Matthew Broderick:
Re-download? =/

Giving it another shot. For some reason it finished at like 73 MB, which I know isn't 134. ;p

I'm using plain old IE downloading thingamob.

Batty
posted 06-09-2005 02:39:18 AM
quote:
Lenlalron Flameblaster stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
Giving it another shot. For some reason it finished at like 73 MB, which I know isn't 134. ;p

I'm using plain old IE downloading thingamob.

Some people have been saying that it ended early for them on other message boards...I dunno what to say other than try again or find another download source.

Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 06-09-2005 03:09:13 AM
This game kicks all sorts of copious amounts of ass. I'm playing as ElBurro.

This game rocks.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: