EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I want a cap on TV ads
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 06-04-2005 04:14:33 PM
I'm sick and tired of watching tv only to see the ad for "Six Pack Abs" shown over and over again. Seems like it's shown 5 times an hour. It doesn't help that the guy selling the video looks like he's got the ego the size of a blimp.

Think we can get a cap on how many times a particular ad is shown per week?

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Razor
posted 06-04-2005 04:25:58 PM
they should shove all of the adds between the hours of 1am and 5am.... let 'em repeat all they want.
Astronomy is a passion...
Engineering is a love...
My job isn't a job, it's my career, and I love every minute of it: Observatory Superintendent
Mortious
Gluttonous Overlard
posted 06-04-2005 04:37:19 PM
The crazy frog ads here are seriously getting on my nerves.

Sometimes they're shown four times in the SAME DAMN 3 MINUTE AD BREAK.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 06-04-2005 06:54:51 PM
quote:
Razor had this to say about Punky Brewster:
they should shove all of the adds between the hours of 1am and 5am.... let 'em repeat all they want.

Sorry, but that's the only way that television statios make money. Or, at the very least, the big way. If ads get shoved off to a non peak time, they become far less valuable -- not many people watch at those times.

Vernal, I can feel ya there, sure...And, as a consumer of television, I'm with you. But as someone who eventually will make a living off this type of stuff...I am obligated to say they need to stay

Mod
Pancake
posted 06-04-2005 06:59:55 PM
quote:
Mortious had this to say about the Spice Girls:
The crazy frog ads here are seriously getting on my nerves.

Sometimes they're shown four times in the SAME DAMN 3 MINUTE AD BREAK.

We got them here too now, what a terrible ad campaign.

Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Sean
posted 06-04-2005 07:17:24 PM
I'm convinced that John Basedow is the devil himself.

He needs to just come out and start doing ads for Ride the Snake.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Peter
Pancake
posted 06-04-2005 07:41:11 PM
I wish I didn't have to here any of those adds for that fuit sald thing from McCrapolds...Fruit Buzz....someone needs to die for that.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-04-2005 07:46:29 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Falaanla Marr gently hums:
Sorry, but that's the only way that television statios make money. Or, at the very least, the big way. If ads get shoved off to a non peak time, they become far less valuable -- not many people watch at those times.

Vernal, I can feel ya there, sure...And, as a consumer of television, I'm with you. But as someone who eventually will make a living off this type of stuff...I am obligated to say they need to stay

Except we're fast approaching the point when the programming is just a series of 30-second blurbs in amongst the advertising. If the companies aren't careful, more and more people will abandon TV for their DVD players and their TIVOs in order to escape the ads. . .leaving the stations in a worse position than if they cut back.

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Sean
posted 06-04-2005 07:54:23 PM
quote:
Ahh man, I shot Bloodsage in the face.
Except we're fast approaching the point when the programming is just a series of 30-second blurbs in amongst the advertising. If the companies aren't careful, more and more people will abandon TV for their DVD players and their TIVOs in order to escape the ads. . .leaving the stations in a worse position than if they cut back.

I'd like to see HBO, Cinemax, Starz, etc start appropriating TV shows that are already being swamped with commercial advertisement.

I would kill many clowns for 24, CSI, ER or the Shield on a commercial and censor free station.

A Kansas City Shuffle is when everybody looks right, you go left.

It's not something people hear about.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 06-04-2005 09:36:40 PM
quote:
How.... Bloodsage.... uughhhhhh:

But what if the commerials had high production values and were highly entertaining?

Oh wait NM that will never happen

Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 06-04-2005 09:57:34 PM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Sean said this:
I would kill many clowns for 24, CSI, ER or the Shield on a commercial and censor free station.

Unfortunately, broadcasters want our hard-earned dollars, not clowns.

Vernaltemptress fucked around with this message on 06-04-2005 at 09:58 PM.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
Delphi Aegis
Delphi. That's right. The oracle. Ask me anything. Anything about your underwear.
posted 06-05-2005 04:09:49 AM
quote:
Vernaltemptress had this to say about Duck Tales:
Unfortunately, broadcasters want our hard-earned dollars, not clowns.

Ah ah. They'd be dead clowns.

Hireko
Kill a fish before breakfast each day
posted 06-05-2005 10:37:31 AM
I don't mind commercials on broadcast TV, since the broadcasters need to make money to stay in business. Its the equally large numbers of commericials on cable TV that drive me nuts. If my cable wasn't folded into my rent, I would abandon everything except the basic service required to keep the modem.
Those who dance are thought insane by those who can't hear the music.
Suddar
posted 06-05-2005 10:44:09 AM
quote:
Bloodsage probably says this to all the girls:

This is why I don't watch much TV, especially on large networks. Just about all I bother to keep up with these days is Adult Swim, and that's only because they don't put a three minute ad break in for every five minutes of programming.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: