EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Most of us have left EQ1 by now...
Mayor of Townsville
Pancake
posted 06-04-2005 04:01:57 AM
...but did you say your proper goodbyes?

I just did a thorough search, and I haven't seen this posted before. So, go ahead and yell at me if it has.
---
La.

The city of Townsville... is entirely mine!
Gadani
U
posted 06-04-2005 04:04:21 AM
Is this the one with the Jimmy Eat World song?

I think I got the band name right... The song is "Just Watch the Fireworks"

edit: nevermind it isn't

Gadani fucked around with this message on 06-04-2005 at 04:06 AM.

Mayor of Townsville
Pancake
posted 06-04-2005 04:06:42 AM
There is a Jimmy Eat World song in it, but it's not "Just Watch the Fireworks".

Mayor of Townsville fucked around with this message on 06-04-2005 at 04:07 AM.

The city of Townsville... is entirely mine!
Gadani
U
posted 06-04-2005 04:13:29 AM
quote:
Mayor of Townsville had this to say about Duck Tales:
There is a Jimmy Eat World song in it, but it's not "Just Watch the Fireworks".

Oh. The one I'm thinking of was by the same guild, though!

I had to look for the other one

Freedan
Pancake
posted 06-04-2005 05:37:11 AM
Does anyone know what the song with female vocals is? The second one, after the intro.
Gork
Pancake
posted 06-04-2005 05:51:15 AM
NEEDS MORE CLERIC!!!!!

(Sinzan Woot! Go CCH!)

Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Tarquinn
Personally responsible for the decline of the American Dollar
posted 06-04-2005 11:12:16 AM
I'm feeling all melancholic now...
~Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.
Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 06-04-2005 12:13:02 PM
quote:
Nobody really understood why Tarquinn wrote:
I'm feeling all melancholic now...

As much as I like newer MMORPGs, nothing has ever really made me feel the same way EQ did. I know EQ was far from perfect and as I'm sure someone will point out 'technically inferior' to other MMORPGs or something. But watching this flash movie makes me feel something really strongly.

Really though, has anyone else felt like EQ hasn't had a true successor? EQ2 and WoW are dandy but neither feel right to me. For one thing, EQ's classes feel more right than in other games in a lot of ways. Warlocks, for instance, feel sort of wishy-washy next to EQ Necromancers. Funny how they suffer a few of the same problems though. Mages in WoW don't feel anything like EQ Wizards either)

Father McKenzie fucked around with this message on 06-04-2005 at 12:13 PM.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 06-04-2005 12:48:57 PM
quote:
Verily, Father McKenzie doth proclaim:
Mages in WoW don't feel anything like EQ Wizards either)

I agree with every thing you said, but EQ Wizards weren't terribly powerful. WoW Mages tend to be rather high on the ownage scale. So, in that sense, they're better.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-04-2005 12:54:13 PM
quote:
Everyone wondered WTF when Kegwen wrote:
I agree with every thing you said, but EQ Wizards weren't terribly powerful. WoW Mages tend to be rather high on the ownage scale. So, in that sense, they're better.

The progression of Wizards:

Pre-Kunark: Awesome
Kunark: Meh
Velious: Good
Luclin: Awesome
PoP: Meh
GoD: Feh
OoW: Why is this class still in the game

Zaza fucked around with this message on 06-04-2005 at 12:55 PM.

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 06-04-2005 01:18:19 PM
quote:
Zaza had this to say about Duck Tales:
GoD: Feh
OoW: Why is this class still in the game

Actually, given the low HP/extremely high DPS of GoD and OoW mobs, a Wizard's burst damage was a godsend. I never had a problem bringing one of them along.

-H

Hellbender fucked around with this message on 06-04-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Zaeron
Pancake
posted 06-04-2005 01:44:31 PM
Brought back a lot of memories. Thanks.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 06-04-2005 01:45:54 PM
I love EQII. It's a great game.

But I've gone back. EQ has things I missed.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Katrinity
Cookie Goddess!
posted 06-04-2005 02:16:13 PM
That almost made me cry.
Cookie Goddess Supreme
Furry Kitsune of Power!
Pouncer of the 12th degree!
"Cxularath ftombn gonoragh pv'iornw hqxoxon targh!"
Translated: "Sell your soul for a cookie?"
Malbi
posted 06-04-2005 03:49:37 PM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael had this to say about the Spice Girls:
I love EQII. It's a great game.

But I've gone back. EQ has things I missed.

Im not pondering going back to EQ due to the fact I would have to start at lvl 1 and go up and I get the feeling that at this point below a certain lvl its prohibitive to play

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 06-04-2005 03:50:46 PM
quote:
Malbi got a whole lot of nerve:
Im not pondering going back to EQ due to the fact I would have to start at lvl 1 and go up and I get the feeling that at this point below a certain lvl its prohibitive to play

Play Winter's Roar! We hit a new max population! 332!!!

Malbi
posted 06-04-2005 03:56:31 PM
quote:
Liam Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Play Winter's Roar! We hit a new max population! 332!!!

how much do they pay you to pimp yourself out for Winter's Roar?

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Liam
Swims in Erotic Circles
posted 06-04-2005 03:57:47 PM
quote:
Malbi has funnier quote texts than me:
how much do they pay you to pimp yourself out for Winter's Roar?

Less than your monthly EQ bill!

Malbi
posted 06-04-2005 03:59:10 PM
uhh...is that supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?
Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 06-04-2005 04:12:44 PM
Memories
Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-04-2005 04:20:40 PM
quote:
How.... Hellbender.... uughhhhhh:
Actually, given the low HP/extremely high DPS of GoD and OoW mobs, a Wizard's burst damage was a godsend. I never had a problem bringing one of them along.

-H

FYI: Rogues do higher burst damage than wizards at the top echelons over any period longer than say, two minutes.

Fox
Loser
posted 06-04-2005 05:49:55 PM
EQ was the first MMO to many, and that new experience is something that no other MMO I have played gives. Sure, WoW may be a new game, but you already know the routine. There is no other game with such discovery and magic, that EQ captured in the hearts of many of us. Thinking about it, seems that it is like a childhood for MMO'ers. We have grown up and moved on to other games, but we still think back to our early memories of friends n fun times, and cherish.

Would loosing your MMO virginity be a better anology for guys?

"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than to be loved for what I'm not."
Ruvyen
Cartoon Broccoli Boy
posted 06-04-2005 05:58:26 PM
quote:
Liam's account was hax0red to write:
Play Winter's Roar!
Thief: "I have come to a realisation. Dragons are not real in a general sense, but they may exist in certain specific cases."
Fighter: "Like how quantum mechanics describes how subatomic particles can spontaneously pop into existence at random!"
Thief: "No, that's stupid and stop making up words."
--8-Bit Theater
Ryuujin
posted 06-04-2005 06:54:22 PM
The song at the beginning with the violin is "I'm a-doun for lack o' Johnnie" by Vanessa Mae.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-04-2005 07:35:21 PM
quote:
Quoth Fox:
EQ was the first MMO to many, and that new experience is something that no other MMO I have played gives. Sure, WoW may be a new game, but you already know the routine. There is no other game with such discovery and magic, that EQ captured in the hearts of many of us. Thinking about it, seems that it is like a childhood for MMO'ers. We have grown up and moved on to other games, but we still think back to our early memories of friends n fun times, and cherish.

Would loosing your MMO virginity be a better anology for guys?

Not with a double-"o" it isn't.

Besides, as poorly executed as it was, UO was the groundbreaking MMOG. If they hadn't proven once and for all that expecting players to self-police against griefers is a stupid idea, who knows what EQ would've looked like?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Toktuk
Pooh Ogre
Keeper of the Shoulders of Peachis Perching
posted 06-04-2005 08:22:45 PM
quote:
Zaza had this to say about Reading Rainbow:
FYI: Rogues do higher burst damage than wizards at the top echelons over any period longer than say, two minutes.

Did you even play in GoD/OoW? Mobs rarely last that long. They can't, otherwise people wipe. 2 minutes is an eternity.

-Tok

Malbi
posted 06-04-2005 08:51:39 PM
quote:
Bloodsage was listening to Cher while typing:
Not with a double-"o" it isn't.

Besides, as poorly executed as it was, UO was the groundbreaking MMOG. If they hadn't proven once and for all that expecting players to self-police against griefers is a stupid idea, who knows what EQ would've looked like?

EQ1 may not have been the first but it was the one that got the industry really moving. as a comparison using the arcade game industry, UO is Pong, and EQ1 is Pacman.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-04-2005 08:57:19 PM
quote:
Quoth Malbi:
EQ1 may not have been the first but it was the one that got the industry really moving. as a comparison using the arcade game industry, UO is Pong, and EQ1 is Pacman.

I didn't say anything to the contrary. Though your analogy is way off.

My point is that, without UO, EQ couldn't have been what it was, because UO was the pioneer that learned all the hard lessons about MMOG player interaction.

Zaza
I don't give a damn.
posted 06-04-2005 08:59:33 PM
EQ was the most successful MMORPG, but UO sure as hell was the wedge of the industry. Without UO, there would've been no EQ.

Zaza fucked around with this message on 06-04-2005 at 09:00 PM.

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 06-04-2005 10:13:51 PM
Bravo for not making Erudin the newbie area on WR. God that place sucks.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Maradon!
posted 06-04-2005 10:45:36 PM
quote:
Foxing:
EQ was the first MMO to many, and that new experience is something that no other MMO I have played gives.

The new experience was so powerful that many people were able to totally ignore how bad the game sucked for years!

Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 06-05-2005 12:38:22 AM
quote:
Zaza was naked while typing this:
EQ was the most successful MMORPG, but UO sure as hell was the wedge of the industry. Without UO, there would've been no EQ.

I think EQ was in development long before UO came out. I highly doubt that without UO there would be no EQ.

Drysart
Pancake
posted 06-05-2005 12:41:41 AM
quote:
Maradon! came out of the closet to say:
The new experience was so powerful that many people were able to totally ignore how bad the game sucked for years!

STOP FUCKING TROLLING EQ THREADS

Skaw
posted 06-05-2005 12:45:01 AM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Drysart:
STOP FUCKING TROLLING EQ THREADS

Stop trolling Maradon trolling EQ Threads.

On a side note, I just stopped billing, and uninstalled, when I quit.

Skaw fucked around with this message on 06-05-2005 at 12:46 AM.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 06-05-2005 03:08:45 AM
There was a two year gap between the release of UO and EQ, and UO was quite commercially successful in the first year. 100,000 subscribers in a time of other virtual worlds having a few thousand, maybe ten thousand players was unbelieveable. Of course, EQ overshadowed that a few years later, not in the least because it ended up picking up a lot of disgruntled UO players. Ironically, EQ's churn rate turned out to be much higher than UO's.

EQ's development probably started around 1996 [ Source ] with the creation of Verant Interactive, and the fact that it was essentially a MUD with a GUI bolted on, as opposed to an unique world such as UO, kinda indicates that it would have been released whether UO existed or not. Meridian 59 had been kicking around for a while before UO as well.

I also don't think UO taught EQ a whole lot about player interactions, as they were different games in that respect from the very start. I think EQ's developers probably learned (or didn't, as the case may be) a lot about actually running a game from UO, although they made a lot of the same mistakes, such as launch-day blunders, a failed volunteer customer service system (Guides were volunteers, right?), and not anticipating the utterly ingenious ways players find to break things.

While it's irrelevant now, what if Asheron's Call had beaten EQ to market? They were only nine months apart, and while both had their flaws, I think that Asheron's Call was more innovative in terms of game design, if not technically.

Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 06-05-2005 04:24:08 AM
quote:
There was much rejoicing when Alidane said this:
[QB

While it's irrelevant now, what if Asheron's Call had beaten EQ to market? They were only nine months apart, and while both had their flaws, I think that Asheron's Call was more innovative in terms of game design, if not technically.[/QB]

Asheron's Call was supposed to be released about a year to a year and a half before it was finally released.

Story of Asheron's Call

login info: michael73@gmail.com
password: 47361ff2

Mike the Butcher fucked around with this message on 06-05-2005 at 04:33 AM.

Kiranê
Total Crap
posted 06-05-2005 12:31:24 PM
I watched Everquest from prettty much Alpha 1.

I played Verants original 'online pay' game Tanarus. I was real big into Tanarus and one of the top players ever. I got into Beta 1 with an email from Smedly himself!

I still have all my beta disks they actually MAILED to you because no one had broadband back in those days.

Man.. to bad Internet Archive doesn't have the original EQ website design. It was so horrid.

Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-05-2005 01:14:22 PM
I stopped playing EQ the night I got EQ2. And for me, an extremely casual gamer, EQ2 was and is a better bang for my buck. I'm very attached to my EQ characters, make no mistake, but in EQ2 I get more bliss for my time, hour for hour, than I did in EQ, and I've still got mountains of stuff to do.

I patched EQ the other night, though. Was curious, was bored (and unlike some people even playing a game I enjoy immensely gets tedious after a while), and Lyinar and Taeolas had been saying in general conversation things I wanted to hear about EQ with this latest expansion.

No they weren't trying to lure me back. The folks they hang out with (guild "Heroes" on Luclin) badly wants shamans, apparently, but Lyinar and I had something of an agreement. EQ2 was still our "primary" game, but I had a mad-on for SWG and she had a yearning for the old EQ days.

Anyways, I patched and went into EQ to see what was up. Frankly, EQ seemed to be better than it was when I left. For one thing, I think it needed newer games to burn off some of the player fat (IE people like me who really just filled spaces). Prices have come down a lot in the bazaar (new items, plus fewer people, means prices on non-peak items has to come down), but everywhere I went there was a more serious "let's get things done" atmosphere. More importantly, it isn't all raid-oriented.

See that's what gave me a blah sense of malaise towards EQ in the first place. You had no option. You will raid. You will raid a lot. You will raid whether you want to or not. Tradeskills? Yeah. Right. Solo? Where? Hell, finding things that were duo or trio capable was difficult, and it was seldom (if ever) worthwhile. And I swear, I was SICK TO FUCKING DEATH with all the god-damned progressions. Miss a night of raiding? You fall behind for weeks until someone decides to back-flag people for the next tier of the progression. EQ tried to get around it retroactively by letting you be 80% in, or just giving you access at a certain level, but by then why bother going? You'd be scrambling to get to the next stage with inferior gear and overly expensive spells.

Now...don't get me wrong...I don't mind the idea of progression through a storyline in general. But when you have to mobilize dozens of people...nightly...for hours...so you can get to the one mob you need...

eh.

no thanks.

BUT! I have a lot of happy EQ memories. I remember the first time I landed a slow on one of the gods (Vallon Zek, I think). I remember DOTing one of the sub-bosses in the Plane of Disease. I remember having a lot of fun with my friends. I remember any of a hundred pleasant afternoon anecdotes where the gang and I would go out and conquer our little molehill in EQ for one day. No gods, no progression. I remember the day I got my drogmar.

My drogmar makes me happy. I miss my drogmar. I like the way Jagd looks on it. I like it a lot.

In any case, there ARE things I remember that I'm happy about having done. They're precious memories to me. But EQ's raid mentality turned me off. Raids are fun, but frankly it got to the point where it was the only worthwhile thing to do. LDoN was tedious, especially if you wanted/needed stuff from, say, Guk. GoD started good...but it quickly turned into tedious progressions like PoP. I never even really played in OoW. (I think I got the order right there).

I may need to pick up Dragons of Norrath. I'm hearing things I want to hear about EQ, and not from people trying to sell me on the game.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

tFUCKING RETARD
Pancake
posted 06-05-2005 07:54:57 PM
I was one of few who stuck to old world long after Luclin and everything. Even though it wasn't as quick to level, I still levelled fast through skill and knowledge of what to do anyway and I had so much more fun doing it than when I went to PoP later on.

Because of my memories of EQ and the longing I have for the initial experience, I am definitely playing WR as soon as I get my tower fixed to my PC.

There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-05-2005 08:50:52 PM
EQ was awesome in those first months of exploration, before it turned into level-mania and all the "fixes" went toward adding time sinks and high-level raid content. Remember the first couple of days, when almost everything was aggro? I got waxed by Giant Spiders trying to run from Erudin to Kelethin on like day 3. Never did make it--had to start a Gnome so Vernal and I could hook up.

Frankly, I find the sense of story and exploration just as good in WoW, because it's accessible to those of us who choose not to dedicate our lives to a video game. Much less of a grind, and more interesting, to level solo.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: