EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: To the linux gurus among us.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 06-02-2005 04:14:36 PM
I'm having a problem. What I am trying to do, is to get my mouse's scroll wheel working in KDE.

To do this, I have been attempting to add in the following line to my xorg.conf file :

"Options" "ZaxisMapping" "4 5"

The problem is, I have no xorg.conf file. When I create one with xorgconfigure or X -configure or Xorg -configure, then X refuses to start. I get the following error :

Fatal server error: no screens found.

If I remove the xorg.conf file, then X starts up fine but once again, no mouse wheel support.

What do I do to fix this?

Iulius Czar
Pancake
posted 06-02-2005 05:54:45 PM
Do you have an ATI or Nvidia video card in the machine? If so, you'll get a boilerplate xorg.conf in the process of installing the proprietary drivers. (and you'll get hardware acceleration in the process)

If you're using FC3 just go to rpm.livna.org and get them as an RPM. Otherwise head to the respective company's website and get the files to build a module.

Here's the "screen" section from my xorg.conf -- see if there's anything similar in the file it's generating for you.

quote:
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

** Oh, one more thought **
Try creating a blank xorg.conf with just your one line in it. Worst it'll do is not work, right?

Iulius Czar fucked around with this message on 06-02-2005 at 06:03 PM.

Khyron
posted 06-02-2005 07:03:08 PM
I'm using a POS Matrox 8mb agp card. Nothing special. I've tried using both the Matrox specific option while configuring xorg, neither has made any difference at all.

I'll double-check what the 'screen' section says.

EDIT :

Screen section is mostly identical. I tried setting it to be Standard VGA, but that did the same exact thing. No screen.

I set up a blank xorg.conf and same thing. No screen.

I know there must be a 'default' configuration or something that it's loading, but the screen scrolls so fast I can't read it before it's gone. I tried doing 'startx >> test.log' to see if it'd put all the 'loading this and that and whatever' text into a file, but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

Khyron fucked around with this message on 06-02-2005 at 07:15 PM.

Mod
Pancake
posted 06-02-2005 07:35:58 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Captain Planet:
I'm using a POS Matrox 8mb agp card. Nothing special. I've tried using both the Matrox specific option while configuring xorg, neither has made any difference at all.

I'll double-check what the 'screen' section says.

EDIT :

Screen section is mostly identical. I tried setting it to be Standard VGA, but that did the same exact thing. No screen.

I set up a blank xorg.conf and same thing. No screen.

I know there must be a 'default' configuration or something that it's loading, but the screen scrolls so fast I can't read it before it's gone. I tried doing 'startx >> test.log' to see if it'd put all the 'loading this and that and whatever' text into a file, but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Life... is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable, because all you get back is another box of chocolates. You're stuck with this undefinable whipped-mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while, there's a peanut butter cup, or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast, the taste is fleeting. So you end up with nothing but broken bits, filled with hardened jelly and teeth-crunching nuts, and if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you've got left is a... is an empty box... filled with useless, brown paper wrappers.
Khyron
posted 06-02-2005 07:45:30 PM
quote:
Mod impressed everyone with:
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

YES! That's EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

I found the problem! Even though the card itself says 'Matrox 8mb AGP' on it, it's being recognised as an ATI card by linux. God only knows why. But, running Xorgconfig again and choosing ATI instead of Matrox or standard VESA WORKED. And now my scroll wheel works. Hoo-rah!

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: