EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: The Top Ten most harmful books of the 19th and 20th centuries.
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 06-02-2005 03:20:58 PM
Your WTF moment of the day brought to you by the letter 59.

Let's run through the list!

quote:
HUMAN EVENTS asked a panel of 15 conservative scholars and public policy leaders to help us compile a list of the Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries. Each panelist nominated a number of titles and then voted on a ballot including all books nominated. A title received a score of 10 points for being listed No. 1 by one of our panelists, 9 points for being listed No. 2, etc. Appropriately, The Communist Manifesto, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, earned the highest aggregate score and the No. 1 listing.

1. The Communist Manifesto

Well, that's a no-brainer. Only the Bible has inspired more death and human suffering than the Communist Manifesto, but that's only by virtue of having a 1700+ year head start, give or take.

quote:
2. Mein Kampf

Again, duh. Although, the book itself was not widely read until after the Nazis rose to power, so that's probably why it came in second.

quote:
3. Quotations from Chairman Mao

Never read it myself, but I guess this one's up there by sheer volume. Over a billion copies printed!

Now, things get a little strange.

quote:
4. The Kinsey Report
5. Democracy and Education

Really? Is studying human sexuality and advocating secular humanism really that bad? Have they caused that many deaths over the years?

quote:
6. Das Kapital

No surprises here. Anything making the case for Marxism is probably harmful. What I find interesting is that The Kinsey Report and Democracy and Education are more harmful than this.

quote:
7. The Feminine Mystique

OK, now I think they're just fucking with us. Has feminism been really that bad? Has it inspired bloody revolutions or described an eventual genocide?

quote:
8. The Course of Positive Philosophy

How harmful can a book be if only philosophy majors read it? Honestly? And how popular a philsophy is this "positivism" nowadays? Is it really that harmful to make a case against God?

quote:
9. Beyond Good and Evil

Please. Nietzsche is, to 99% of the population, a source for a handy quote every once in a while, and little more. I think their justification is quite hilarious: "The Nazis loved Nietzsche." They also loved breathing! WE'RE ALL NAZIS! OMGALAFGIjflkjdffgsvlkbkrnonoofuck

quote:
10. General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money

Uh, OK. I've no idea about this one, so I'll take their word for it.

Well, that does it for the top ten. I'd say probably 4-5 were deserved. Now, on to the honorable mentions, two of which blow me away. Those are bolded for your convenience:

quote:
Honorable Mention

These books won votes from two or more judges:

The Population Bomb
by Paul Ehrlich
Score: 22

What Is To Be Done
by V.I. Lenin
Score: 20

Authoritarian Personality
by Theodor Adorno
Score: 19

On Liberty
by John Stuart Mill
Score: 18

Beyond Freedom and Dignity
by B.F. Skinner

Reflections on Violence
by Georges Sorel

The Promise of American Life
by Herbert Croly
Score: 17

Origin of the Species
by Charles Darwin
Score: 17

Madness and Civilization
by Michel Foucault
Score: 12

Soviet Communism: A New Civilization
by Sidney and Beatrice Webb
Score: 12

Coming of Age in Samoa
by Margaret Mead
Score: 11

Unsafe at Any Speed
by Ralph Nader

Second Sex
by Simone de Beauvoir
Score: 10

Prison Notebooks
by Antonio Gramsci
Score: 10

Silent Spring
by Rachel Carson
Score: 9

Wretched of the Earth
by Frantz Fanon

Introduction to Psychoanalysis
by Sigmund Freud

The Greening of America
by Charles Reich

The Limits to Growth
by Club of Rome
Score: 4

Descent of Man
by Charles Darwin
Score: 2

That's right, folks. Books on evolution are among the most harmful books of the 19th and 20th centuries. Welp, I'm gonna smash my dick and balls in the door for about an hour. Give a shout if you need me.

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Naimah
In a Fire
posted 06-02-2005 03:25:10 PM
My response to that questionaire would be that no books are harmful only the people that read them.
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 06-02-2005 03:41:51 PM
Ah, the findings of closed-minded Fundies. I can agree with a few of the choices, or at least see their rationalization, but overall? WTFY!
Sentow, Maybe
Pancake
posted 06-02-2005 04:10:27 PM
quote:
Has feminism been really that bad? Has it inspired bloody revolutions or described an eventual genocide?

Not yet!

Once more into the breach, my friends, once more. We'll close the wall with our dead. In peace, nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.
Mooj
Scorned Fanboy
posted 06-02-2005 04:45:33 PM
quote:
How.... Naimah.... uughhhhhh:
My response to that questionaire would be that no books are harmful only the people that read them.

Books don't kill people. I kill people!

Nicole
The hip-hop-happiest bunny in all of marshmallow woods
posted 06-02-2005 05:11:44 PM
I have a surprising amount of these books randomly floating around my basementspace.

I really need to search around more often.

I just spent
my last cent
purchasing this poverty.

Malbi
posted 06-02-2005 06:36:04 PM
quote:
HUMAN EVENTS asked a panel of 15 conservative scholars and public policy leaders help us compile a list of the Ten Most Harmful Books of the 19th and 20th Centuries. Each panelist nominated a number of titles and then voted on a ballot including all books nominated. A title received a score of 10 points for being listed No. 1 by one of our panelists, 9 points for being listed No. 2, etc. Appropriately, The Communist Manifesto, by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, earned the highest aggregate score and the No. 1 listing.

the bold face selection clearly shows how it was biased toward a certain politcal agenda

I Didnt ask to be Secretary of Balloon Doggies, the Balloon Doggies demanded it!
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 06-02-2005 08:50:13 PM
I'm mildly surprised they were smart enough to not put The Satanic Verses on the list.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Pvednes
Lynched
posted 06-03-2005 12:42:16 AM
Well, it redeems itself by adding one or two books to my reading list, anyway.
Maradon!
posted 06-03-2005 01:22:13 AM
Many conservatives blame the feminism of the 60's and 70's for the lack of competent parenting today.

Which would be why feminist books are on there.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 06-03-2005 01:24:28 AM
Anyone interested in philosophy should definitely read Foucault.
To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 06-03-2005 09:11:43 AM
Dr Spocks Baby book. What a quack.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Timpofee
Mancake
posted 06-03-2005 09:36:49 AM
I would have said that "Truth or Dare" book put out by Madonna would be in the top 20 honestly
DrPaintThinner
Anti-Semite
posted 06-03-2005 10:24:31 AM
Unsafe at Any Speed
by Ralph Nader

Wasn't that a book about unsafe seatbelts?

roit, less bash 'is noggin
Zair
The Imp
posted 06-03-2005 11:53:55 AM
quote:
DrPaintThinner thought about the meaning of life:
Unsafe at Any Speed
by Ralph Nader

I didn't really understand that book being on the list either. Maybe because it resulted in more safety standards being put on the corporations? According to DeLay crowd conservatives, near any federal regulations imposed on business is bad.

I'd like to see an arguement why this book wasn't in fact very benificial, but instead one of the most harmful books of the last 200 years.

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 06-03-2005 06:02:12 PM
quote:
DrPaintThinner attempted to be funny by writing:
Unsafe at Any Speed
by Ralph Nader

It may be because of the author. Ralph Nader's not very appreciated in most camps for his Green Party involvement and run in 2000, though it probably got the Republicans the win.

I think his book's inclusion was personal as opposed to any actual attack on the book itself.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Alaan
posted 06-03-2005 09:17:34 PM
quote:
I didn't think that even DrPaintThinner would get so drunk as to say:
Unsafe at Any Speed
by Ralph Nader

"Unsafe at any speed" specifically relates to the Chevy Corvere. It was a car with the motor and the drive axle in the rear.

Though the book may go beyond that.

Sarudani Miolnir
Old-school poster
posted 06-03-2005 11:54:29 PM
I'm surprised It Takes A Village didn't make the list.

As far as Nader's book, I've always found it odd that the Corvair was singled out. VW built Beetles for years using the same rear suspension design, not to mention Mercedes used it for their 300SL Gullwings.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: