EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Computer buying help
Fox
Loser
posted 05-14-2005 01:43:46 AM
Heyo,

Well now that I have a job, I plan on filling in my new computer case. Long ago I used to be hip with technology, but now I need help. I live near a Frys and they seem to have decently priced stuff, but I have no knowledge of brands, models, specs etc. I may find something that looks like a good deal to me, but turns is actually crap. I need to know what to look for when buying the stuff, what brands are good, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For example I see a AMD Sempron 2800+ with motherboard for 79$, what should I be finding out about it and comparing before I buy? All who assist will be rewarded well..with orange tictacs.

Fox fucked around with this message on 05-14-2005 at 01:47 AM.

"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than to be loved for what I'm not."
qwertyu
Pancake
posted 05-14-2005 03:03:29 AM
quote:
Fox had this to say about the Spice Girls:
All who assist will be rewarded well..with orange tictacs.

Dude, orange tic-tacs kick ass. Also most peoples opinions on brands will be biased, like I would say go AMD for the proc, DFI for the motherboard, and ATI for the video card.

Also if you are ok with spending more than that, don't get a sempron, get a a64 in one of the newer sockets.

Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-14-2005 03:09:18 AM
If you're buying AMD, buy Socket 939.
Naimah
In a Fire
posted 05-14-2005 04:14:30 PM
quote:
Alidane stumbled drunkenly to the keyboard and typed:
If you're buying AMD, buy Socket 939.

Lets simplify this, buy AMD socket 939. Why? Because their roadmap shows that this is the socket they are going to use for the next 18 months meaning easy upgrades in the future. Intel on the otherhand is shifting platforms shortly and their dual core stuff isn't as good.

Fox
Loser
posted 05-14-2005 04:18:45 PM
Sweet, orange tictacs for all!
"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than to be loved for what I'm not."
Noxhil2
Pancake
posted 05-14-2005 11:59:54 PM
You probably should just drop a price and let people plan it for you.
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: