EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Laptops
Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 05-12-2005 08:07:30 PM
I'm seriously looking into purchasing a good laptop for the semester in Italy coming up this Fall.

Right now i'm leaning towards an Alienware Sentia machine, however I don't know very much about laptops at all and what would be a good bang for the buck. Alienware is also offering a $400 rebate on laptops right now, and that helps. Just looking for some other options.

Price range is $1500-$2000 and no Macs.

Jackman
Racist Hermaphroditic Midget
posted 05-12-2005 08:24:41 PM
Buy a Dell they actualy have them in stock and can deliver when promised and have halfway decent CS.
Peter: I'm not afraid of anything, I laugh in the face of Death. See HAHAHAHA.
Death: Oh great! Thanks a lot. As if it wasnt already hard enough to fit in.

Some people are like Slinkys... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Anklebiter
Pancake
posted 05-12-2005 08:36:33 PM
I'd suggest Viao, but I think they may have problems with over heating.

Some are decent for games but they won't last as long if you put them to that.

EVE Online:
Asha Vahishta, Minmatar Pilot.
very important poster
a sweet title
posted 05-12-2005 08:40:47 PM
WHAT BUT MACS ARE GREAT
hey
Alidane
Urinary Tract Infection
posted 05-12-2005 08:45:48 PM
I love my ThinkPad R40, and have heard good things about the other IBM laptops.
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 05-12-2005 09:39:02 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Dr. Gee:
no Macs.

Azizza's going to knock on your door with a shotgun shortly.

Don't answer it.

Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

BetaTested
Not gay, but loves the cock!
posted 05-12-2005 10:00:45 PM
Are you looking for something that is small and light, or something that is a desktop replacement?

If you're looking at Alienware it's probably the latter. Dell's 9300 series is actually pretty kickass. I ordered one a week ago and it got here yesterday. I snagged a $750 off cupon, which brough the price down to the sub $1500 levels. It has a 1.73ghz Pentium M, 512mb Dual Channel 533mhz DDR and a GeForce 6800 Go with a 9 cell battery. I haven't seriously tested the battery yet, but if I'm just using a low backlight and doing some word processing it'll last a good 3.5 - 4 hours.

Got Xfire? Join me in the crusade to knock WoW from it's lofty #1 most played Xfire game with Solitare!
Tier
posted 05-12-2005 10:06:46 PM
quote:
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael probably says this to all the girls:
Azizza's going to knock on your door with a shotgun shortly.

Don't answer it.

Eh, he'll probably just shake his head at his complete lack of taste in laptops.

Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 05-12-2005 10:12:29 PM
Ibuypower are pretty sexy. I ordered one for my brother's ex and god damn it was a great deal and shiny.
Dr. Gee
posted 05-13-2005 12:36:24 AM
I can't play Fallout 2 on a mac.

And thanks for the suggestions. Think i might hold off a while longer though.

Gork
Pancake
posted 05-13-2005 01:29:24 AM
Happen to know anyone that has worked with laptops and would be qualified to help you pick one out? Guess not. And if you are going to Italy service is kinda nil once you leave the U.S. talk to me about this I'll help you shop for one =p
Another Unsolved Mystery is goin' down in history.
Jaggedpine Mistwalker
Member #4!
posted 05-13-2005 01:33:19 AM

FEATURES:
Microsoft Windows XP Home
Intel Pentium M 740 [1.73GHz] Processor
512MB [256x2] DDR2 Memory
60GB Hard Drive
802.11b/g
Dual Layer DVD-RW Drive
15.4" Wide CE Crystal View Screen
64MB Video Memory
1-Year Limited Warranty

Fujitsu N314

Dr. Gee
posted 05-13-2005 01:47:25 AM
I am once again shamed by not asking you first. I seppuku myself. BLAUGH

Anyways. I'm really liking the iBuyPower AMD laptop with the Athlon-64 3400+ and Corsair RAM. Anyone had any experience with iBuyPower or AMD mobile versus Pentium mobile processors?

Maradon!
posted 05-13-2005 01:58:38 AM
quote:
x--Asha'manO-('-'Q) :
Eh, he'll probably just shake his head at his complete lack of taste in laptops.

No no, he said no macs

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-13-2005 02:01:47 AM
I've heard good things about these guys.

Maradon probably expects me to come in here and be all WTF MAC > ALL, but I sure showed him!

Father McKenzie
Pancake
posted 05-13-2005 10:23:51 AM
The IBuyPower one that was linked looks pretty nice.

My desktop is as old as the hills and actually has trouble browsing these forums sometimes, so I've been looking at a new computer, and more particularly a nice laptop.

The problems I'd have with that IBuyPower is one: the 128mb video card. That's enough for things right now, but if it would be your primary machine, it seems like you ought to get a 256mb video card (don't know if you can on any of the IBuyPower laptops. Or any laptops.)

Also, where are the details on the screen? (not just the size).

What I like are the really wide laptops that are insanely thin, and flip out into big screens. Have a friend who had one, and watched DVDs on it, looked awesome.

Kegwen
Sonyfag
posted 05-13-2005 12:04:22 PM
256mb of dedicated video memory on a laptop probably means it's not going to be very portable, heh.
Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 05-13-2005 12:53:41 PM
I love Ibuypower so much, I would buy a computer from them except I'm so poor. Have a few friends that have bought computers from them and the customer support is awesome.

Also the laptop I bought for my brother's ex was a monster when we bought it and it was so quiet you hardly new it was on. It was a 2.8ghz p4 with the radeon 9700.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: