EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: I Am Iron Chef Canine!
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-07-2005 01:25:20 AM
Since we have nothing in the way of fodder around the house yet, I sauntered over to the local Whole Foods to see what I could see.

The secret ingredient that looked intriguing was sausage, so I grabbed a couple of chicken & apple and a couple of salmon and feta. I noticed some funky cool pasta like diamond-shaped tubes, so I threw that in the cart. Over in the produce section, I noticed a selection of fresh 'shrooms, so I got some shitake (not many--the biotches are $12.50/lb!), and a big ol' portabello. The organic, vine-on tomatoes looked neat, so I grabbed a bunch. Some garlic and a shallot-looking thingy topped it off.

I had some vague notion I'd make a homeade tomato sauce and sautee the sausages, but I got confused and put oil in my skillet and started browning big garlic chunks instead. So I switched to Plan B and browned the sausages with the garlic, then removed them and made a ragout with the shallot, tomato, and mushrooms, deglazing the pan with a splash of the Shiraz we were drinking. When it was simmering, I added back in the sausages, and some pitted black olives in brine.

After simmering for about an hour--lots o' liquid to reduce, between the tomatoes and the mushrooms--I served it over the pasta. Turned out suprisingly good, if I do say so myself. I was afraid it would be boring, since I had to herbs to add. . .but the combination of strong flavors between the sausages, olives, and shitakes blended really well.

Next time, I'm going to leave out the salmon sausage, though. It was kind of bland, and the chicken & apple was just too perfect, since its sweetness offset the sour of the olives.

So what did you guys do for dinner?

To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.

--Satan, quoted by John Milton

Mr. Parcelan
posted 05-07-2005 01:38:08 AM
Ordered pizza, you fucking retard.
Skaw
posted 05-07-2005 01:39:07 AM
Nothing yet.
Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 05-07-2005 01:40:50 AM
My mother in one of her once-in-a-blue-moon cooking sprees made cornbread and lentil soup with bacon. But seeing as how she has little to no practice in the cooking field, the lentil came out too salty and the bread was burnt to a singe. Yet still she forced it down my throat -_-

For lunch I made this potatoes casserole stuff that was pretty good, and a bunch of tater tots that my dad devoured in one sitting. I swear.

I'm not much of a cook, but my friend is. She's moving in with me this June, I plan to extoll her rent by way of forcing her to cook

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-07-2005 01:50:21 AM
I'm making a sort of homemade Shake & Bake chicken. It's got italian style breadcrumbs, kosher salt, paprika, old bay seasoning, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-07-2005 01:51:00 AM
quote:
Quoth JooJooFlop:
I'm making a sort of homemade Shake & Bake chicken. It's got italian style breadcrumbs, kosher salt, paprika, old bay seasoning, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.

Sounds nummy.

Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 05-07-2005 01:52:15 AM
Grilled cheese sandwiches. They cook slowly enough that I don't lose half of what I make to fire.

I lost all the pancakes I tried to make the other day.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-07-2005 01:53:02 AM
Your. . .pancakes. . .caught fire?

Kait
has made another completely pointless and off-topic post that nobody cares about
posted 05-07-2005 01:54:16 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about pies:

Good riddance. I hate pancakes.

Waffles, however, are

"A black cat dropped soundlessly from a high wall, like a spoonful of dark treacle and melted under the gate."
-Elizabeth Lemarchand
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-07-2005 01:54:40 AM
quote:
Matilda Jane had this to say about John Romero:
Grilled cheese sandwiches. They cook slowly enough that I don't lose half of what I make to fire.

One of these days I'm gonna try that method where you heat two large cast iron skillets really hot, take them off the heat and smoosh the sandwich between the two skillet bottoms.

I don't know how to be sexy. If I catch a girl looking at me and our eyes lock, I panic and open mine wider. Then I lick my lips and rub my genitals. And mouth the words "You're dead."
Matilda Jane
ph33r my MIRVs
posted 05-07-2005 01:56:00 AM
quote:
Bloodsage thought about the meaning of life:

I do a lot of guesswork when cooking. I ended up with several black amoebas.

There was a signature here... it's gone now.
JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-07-2005 01:57:19 AM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Punky Brewster:

It's not that she's a bad cook, she's a subconcious telepyrokinetic.

Fox
Loser
posted 05-07-2005 01:57:21 AM
Nothing as of yet. Pizza will be arriving soon I hope.
"It takes an idiot to do cool things, thats why its cool."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than to be loved for what I'm not."
Kait
posted 05-07-2005 02:05:29 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about Punky Brewster:
It's not that she's a bad cook, she's a subconcious telepyrokinetic.

The sigpic is proof. Can't you see the fire in her hidden eyes?

-Elizabeth Lemarchand
Mr. Gainsborough
posted 05-07-2005 02:09:06 AM
If Iron Chef French makes French food and Iron Chef Japanese makes Japanese food, wouldn't Iron Chef Canine make dog food?
Fizodeth
an unflattering title
posted 05-07-2005 03:01:48 AM
I hit up Jack in the Box after I left the movies.
BeauChan
Objects in sigpic may be hammier than they appear
posted 05-07-2005 03:23:40 AM
the only thing I ate today was a 1/2 cup of salt and vinegar chips and a glass of orange juice.

now I'm going to bed.

Endured by EC for over 7 years and counting...
Mike the Butcher
Pancake
posted 05-07-2005 03:38:41 AM
New York cut steak, tossed green salad and basil pasta with sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella
Hostile Makeover
Evil as chocolate covered thistles
posted 05-07-2005 02:36:45 PM
Last night I made ginger pancakes with a mango, cherry, & lime salsa on top!
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 05-07-2005 05:02:38 PM
Tonight I'm grilling steaks and drinking rum.
That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-07-2005 05:39:28 PM
quote:
Verily, the chocolate bunny rabits doth run and play while Xyrra gently hums:
Last night I made ginger pancakes with a mango, cherry, & lime salsa on top!

I'll be right over! Save some for me.

Hostile Makeover
posted 05-07-2005 06:16:22 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Bloodsage wrote:
I'll be right over! Save some for me.

I'll PM ya the recipe once I figure out the actual amounts and measures!

Tonight shall be... tomato, corn & green chile risotto!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-07-2005 07:08:41 PM
Cool!

And I still have your resume right in the center of my desktop so I can edit it for you. I want to reformat. . .but haven't had the energy to sit down and just do it. Sorry.

Hostile Makeover
posted 05-07-2005 11:21:09 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about Jimmy Carter:
And I still have your resume right in the center of my desktop so I can edit it for you. I want to reformat. . .but haven't had the energy to sit down and just do it. Sorry.

teehee, that's ok. I gotta job! AIEEEE!

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-07-2005 11:33:38 PM
quote:
Quoth Xyrra:
teehee, that's ok. I gotta job! AIEEEE!

Great!

Sakkra
Office Linebacker
posted 05-08-2005 03:28:59 AM
I had a grilled cheese sandwich with avocado and chicken, with the catch being that the bread was thin french toast rather than normal bread. It was pretty good.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-08-2005 03:51:27 AM
Deth and I went looking around Linens n Things at all kinds of stuff, but we saw a lot of nice kitchen items I'll want if I ever cook.

It felt...odd...to be a woman and have to have things explained to me about what they do, though. And he got way more excited over the salt and pepper grinders than I did

I love cooking. I just never have time with school and work. I r jealous

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-08-2005 03:55:22 AM
quote:
Lyinar Ka`Bael attempted to be funny by writing:
And he got way more excited over the salt and pepper grinders than I did

Please tell me you're not saying that you don't have a pepper grinder. If you don't, go get one. The difference between fresh ground and pre-ground is quite noticeable at times, and it's worth it to buy a cheap grinder at Wal-Mart or where ever.

As for salt grinders... I still don't get it. Why grind salt? It disolves on its own, grinding it doesn't release anything or change the flavor any, and there's no real point in buying it in crystals big enough to need grinding anyway.

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Lyinar Ka`Bael
Are you looking at my pine tree again?
posted 05-08-2005 03:57:11 AM
No, I don't. I don't eat pepper.

Lyinar Ka`Bael, Piney Fresh Druidess - Luclin

JooJooFlop
Hungry Hungry Hippo
posted 05-08-2005 03:59:50 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon had this to say about the Spice Girls:
As for salt grinders... I still don't get it. Why grind salt? It disolves on its own, grinding it doesn't release anything or change the flavor any, and there's no real point in buying it in crystals big enough to need grinding anyway.

Some people (such as I) prefer sea/kosher salt to table salt.

Palador ChibiDragon
Dismembered
posted 05-08-2005 04:16:32 AM
quote:
JooJooFlop had this to say about dark elf butts:
Some people (such as I) prefer sea/kosher salt to table salt.

I've never seen sea or kosher salt that really needs to be ground. It's not that big of a crystal.

Then again, I've not seen all that many brands of such salts up close. (I try to avoid salt when cooking.) Does the size differ that much from brand to brand?

I believe in the existance of magic, not because I have seen proof of its existance, but because I refuse to live in a world where it does not exist.
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 05-08-2005 09:49:02 AM
quote:
Palador ChibiDragon was listening to Cher while typing:
I've never seen sea or kosher salt that really needs to be ground. It's not that big of a crystal.

Then again, I've not seen all that many brands of such salts up close. (I try to avoid salt when cooking.) Does the size differ that much from brand to brand?

Sea salt, Maui salt, grey salt and even pink salt all come in large enough crystals that require a grinder. They all taste different too.

I use Kosher salt myself. I want to get a salt cellar for it though.

Maradon!
posted 05-08-2005 01:41:33 PM
I once made tea out of nothing but cracked black pepper.

It actually wasn't bad.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 05-09-2005 01:11:38 AM
quote:
Nae impressed everyone with:
Sea salt, Maui salt, grey salt and even pink salt all come in large enough crystals that require a grinder. They all taste different too.

I use Kosher salt myself. I want to get a salt cellar for it though.

Actually.. they dont. They all taste the same, its all about the texture, and melting characteristics.. Unless it has something added to it after it is harvested.

(It was on Iron Chef and Good Eats.)

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Maradon!
posted 05-09-2005 01:18:59 AM
quote:
Over the mountain, in between the ups and downs, I ran into Kaiote who doth quote:
Actually.. they dont. They all taste the same, its all about the texture, and melting characteristics.. Unless it has something added to it after it is harvested.

I can attest to this. I've tasted all kinds of types of salt...including sea salt...from the sea!! WHILE I WAS IN THE SEA!!

It all tastes like salt.

Ask CBTao. I taste everything. Including household cleansers.

Maradon! fucked around with this message on 05-09-2005 at 01:19 AM.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 05-09-2005 01:20:01 AM
quote:
Maradon! stopped beating up furries long enough to write:
I can attest to this. I've tasted all kinds of types of salt...including sea salt...from the sea!! WHILE I WAS IN THE SEA!!

It all tastes like salt.

I imagine KCN would taste quite different from NaCl.

Especially if you have it with vineger.

Bloodsage
Heart Attack
posted 05-09-2005 01:45:49 AM
quote:
Channeling the spirit of Sherlock Holmes, Kaiote absently fondled Watson and proclaimed:

I think you misremember--I watched Iron Chef just a week or two ago, and they talked about this very thing. . .and how different salts are quite different based upon the other minerals present. It was the Iron Chef where the theme ingredients were coconut and chocolate.

Kaiote
Shot in the Face
posted 05-09-2005 01:46:45 PM
quote:
Bloodsage had this to say about John Romero:
I think you misremember--I watched Iron Chef just a week or two ago, and they talked about this very thing. . .and how different salts are quite different based upon the other minerals present. It was the Iron Chef where the theme ingredients were coconut and chocolate.

I saw that one, and wondered about it. But its not the first time Food TV has contradicted itself.

Henry had been killed by a garden gnome.He had fallen off the roof onto that cheerful-looking figure. The gnome was made of concrete. Henry wasn't. - Dean Koontz, Velocity
Nae
Fun with Chocolate
posted 05-09-2005 01:52:13 PM
What Bloodsage said.

While visiting Le Cordon Bleu cooking school, we had a taste testing of different salts. They did indeed have different flavors, depending upon the minerals that were in them. Yes, they tasted like salt. Except they each had a very different flavor.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: