EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: Warriors
Lee Taxx0r
Pancake
posted 04-21-2005 12:21:39 PM
I have a warrior at level 21 right now and I need some advice on what talents to get. At the moment I have most in protection but I'm thinking I don't really need the extra defense right now. I'm thinking of getting improved rend, heroic strike and cruelty for now.

Should I get tactical mastery early on?

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 04-21-2005 12:49:22 PM
I've never seen a use for tactical mastery really.

Get Cruelty first if you don't have it already, every warrior needs it and it's an instant increase in DPS. Then think about what type of weapon combo you would most prefer to use during leveling. If you like one hand and shield, you may like protection or Arms. I'd say arms since alot of protection is most useful in groups, but groups tend to increase your survivability to the degree where it's just helpful, not really necessary. If you want to dual wield, alot of warriors go down fury until they get Flurry, but you can't get that until you're at least 35, and alot of the other things in Fury suck from my point of view. Two hander is great with arms.

Dr. Gee
Say it Loud, Say it Plowed!
posted 04-21-2005 01:02:09 PM
Tactical Mastery is awsome. It allows a warrior to swap stances without totally gimping themselves in a fight ragewise.
Tegadil
Queen of the Smoofs
posted 04-21-2005 01:22:07 PM
Yeah, definitely go with at least 2 points into Tactical Mastery. If you don't, you'll be kicking yourself when you need to intercept someone.
Cobalt Katze
Pancake
posted 04-21-2005 01:28:43 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Dr. Gee stammered:
Tactical Mastery is awsome. It allows a warrior to swap stances without totally gimping themselves in a fight ragewise.

Agreed. My Warrior is currently 21, heading eventually towards Flurry. I decided to start in Arms though, specifically for Tactical Mastery and Anger Mangement. When I tank, I tend to be all over the place with my two stances so far, which really milks the class for all it's worth. So being able to preserve my rage when I switch is a very Good Thing*.

*all contents of said statement are a personal opinion and liable to disagreement from those of higher level.

Damnati
Filthy
posted 04-21-2005 04:01:42 PM
AT 49, I specced heavy in Arms (going for Mortal Strike and getting both sword and polearm specialization) with an 11 point foray into Fury for Cruelty and Piercing Howl. I've a friend who was a Protection warrior into the high 50's, but found that he ended being like a paladin minus the shields (i.e. damage sponge unable to hold aggro effectively and unable to dps). He then respecced into Arms/Fury for MS (31/20 I think) and found life as a tank was easier. Now where did Parcelan get to...he's the warrior master.
Love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides and life and death alike follow in its wake. -Phèdre nó Delaunay, Kushiel's Chosen

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts aquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

-Yuri-
Pancake
posted 04-21-2005 04:27:10 PM
Tactical Mastery is very needed if you know how to play the warrior class rather then just sitting in one stance the entire fight.
Inferno-Spirit
Sports Advocate
posted 04-21-2005 05:17:57 PM
If you plan on going into the high-end of the Arms tree, then Tactical Mastery is a must. (Unless you plan to solo/dulo forever. Then it's not as big a deal. This is assuming you will eventually be raiding or fully grouping.)

It is infinitely better than the Rend - Deep Wounds - Impale line simply because you can't use Rend in large groups, due to the somewhat low effect cap on mobs, and Rend not being a particularily useful skill for anything other than locking stealth. The same goes for Deep Wounds, except now you get told to respec instead of just being told not to use the skill.

Deflection (5/5) is a must for any warrior. Heroic Strike and Thunder Clap aren't particularily important skills, and neither are the talents. The 6 rage from Improved Charge is good, but can be useless in situations where you don't restart fights for a while.

The use of Anger Management itself is explained by other posters in this thread(the ones who are praising it, anyway), but you also have to realize that it's the only way to get to the top end of the Arms tree. Something like:

5/5 Deflection
2/2 Improved Charge
2/2 Improved Overpower
5/5 Tactical Mastery
1/1 Anger Management

...allows you to get to...

5/5 Two-Handed Weapon Specialization

... and then on to whatever you like at the end. I'm not a big fan of the end of the Arms tree myself, and my warrior, which is currently in it, will soon respec to just that much of it, and then other trees. I already have a rogue which I almost entirely solo with, so my warrior is designed with group play in mind. Here's my talent set:

Arms Mastery
5/5 Deflection
2/2 Improved Charge
5/5 Tactical Mastery
2/2 Improved Overpower
1/1 Anger Management
Fury Mastery
5/5 Cruelty
Protection Mastery
5/5 Anticipation
2/2 Improved Bloodrage
5/5 Toughness
1/1 Last Stand
3/3 Improved Revenge
2/2 Defiance
3/3 Improved Sunder Armor
2/2 Improved Taunt
2/2 Improved Shield Wall
1/1 Concussion Blow
5/5 One-Handed Weapon Specialization

Arms/Fury/Protection - 15/5/31

[edit]Spellcheck is my friend.[/edit]

Inferno-Spirit fucked around with this message on 04-21-2005 at 05:21 PM.

"He lets the last Hungarian go, and he goes running. He waits until his wife and kids are in the ground and he goes after the rest of the mob. He kills their kids, he kills their wives, he kills their parents and their parents' friends. He burns down the houses they grew up in and the stores they work in, he kills people that owe them money. And like that he was gone. Underground. No one has ever seen him again. He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. 'If you rat on your pop, Keyser Soze will get you.' And nobody really ever believes." - Roger 'Verbal' Kint, The Usual Suspects
Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-21-2005 06:55:18 PM
Tactical Mastery is awesome. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

With Tactical Mastery, you can...
-Change stances to Intercept a fleeing rapscallion

-Change stances to Pummel a spellcaster

-Change stances to Taunt to draw aggro from your companions

-Make the way to ANGER MANAGEMENT, which essentially gives you a free rage point every 3 seconds. SHIT YOURSELF!

Speccing in Protection is tricky. I have yet to play it for myself, but some people (ElCuchillo) say it's hot, and some people (Blackened) say it's shit. Eventually, I'll start a third Warrior to make it.

Anyways, Arms is good for all-around fighting. My main Warrior is Arms and excels at PvP, grouping and soloing.

My second Warrior is Fury-specced, and she can do a shitload of damage and has only a minimal interference with grouping. You really miss MS, though :\

A sure-fire Talent build, if highly unoriginal, is to put 31 points in Arms (up to Mortal Strike) and the rest into Fury (up to Enrage).

At any rate, Max Cruelty, at least two points in Tactical Mastery, and Max Deflection are a must for Warriors.

Ferret
Poing! Poing!
posted 04-21-2005 07:12:38 PM
Ah, I tend to solo so I've never really had a use for it, and Impale plus Overpower makes me happy. I'll have to rethink for later then.
Khyron
Hello, my mushy friend...
posted 04-21-2005 07:14:00 PM
Questions from a lowbie warrior :

#1 - Deep Wounds + Cruelty + Impale = Good? Extra crit damage, chance, and drops a DoT for each crit.

#2 - I was thinking of grabbing Axe spec and sword spec for sure. But I'm not sure about Polearm/2h. I definitely don't like maces. Advice?

#3 - Improved Heroic Strike. Any good?

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-21-2005 07:14:02 PM
quote:
Ferret thought about the meaning of life:
Ah, I tend to solo so I've never really had a use for it, and Impale plus Overpower makes me happy. I'll have to rethink for later then.

It's true that TM's main uses are for PvP (switching from Battle to Beserker) and grouping (Battle to Defensive), but there are immense uses for soloing, too, the primary use being the stepping up to Anger Management.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-21-2005 07:17:56 PM
quote:
A sleep deprived Khyron stammered:

#1 - Deep Wounds + Cruelty + Impale = Good? Extra crit damage, chance, and drops a DoT for each crit.

#2 - I was thinking of grabbing Axe spec and sword spec for sure. But I'm not sure about Polearm/2h. I definitely don't like maces. Advice?

1) Yes, that's pretty good. You may run into trouble in the upper levels, but it's good for now.

2) Avoid Axe/Sword/Mace/Polearm spec. As a Warrior, you use whatever's best, no matter what weapon it is. Two-handed spec is about as good as it gets, sadly.

3) I think so, but others disagree. Heroic Strike is a good way to generate threat and keeps more of that precious rage in your pocket. With Heroic Strike's damage upped, it's also awesome, even if you have Mortal Strike. I can routinely use MS/HS/MS for upwards of 1k damage. Very handy, not necessary, but I like it a lot.

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 04-21-2005 07:18:00 PM
quote:
Khyron had this to say about Punky Brewster:

You'll be asked to get rid of the #1 combo, at least to the point where it doesn't drop a DoT, later on. Since that takes up a precious debuff slot. It's a decent talent before then though.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-21-2005 07:29:39 PM
quote:
Batty had this to say about pies:
You'll be asked to get rid of the #1 combo, at least to the point where it doesn't drop a DoT, later on. Since that takes up a precious debuff slot. It's a decent talent before then though.

Which totally sucks. Improved Rend isn't worth it to take it. Impale rules.

Has this been brought up with Blizzard?

Batty
Doesn't Like You. Specifically you.
posted 04-21-2005 07:51:01 PM
quote:
Mr. Parcelan Model 2000 was programmed to say:
Which totally sucks. Improved Rend isn't worth it to take it. Impale rules.

Has this been brought up with Blizzard?

The whole limited debuff slot thing, thus making most talents/procs useless? Yes. I mean, Warlocks complain about it all the time, so do Warriors, and just about everyone else who has a dot/effect component on any ability.

Until they make it so there's more debuff slots, many talents and procs will go unused.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: