EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: A job question.
Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 04-20-2005 12:34:06 PM
I've been at my current job for eight straight weeks now. I've only missed 4 hours of work total (3 hours one night after I blacked out and the manager sent me home, and one last week because I was stressed out over a mistake I had made).

I have the highest processing rate on second shift by 300 billing units (average is around 700, second highest is 1000, and I'm at 1303). My error rate so far this month is 6%, but until I made the mistake I made last week it was 1%.

This is a temp job (6 month contract) and I really want to get hired in. I actually enjoy the work.

So here's the deal. They're hiring two types of shift supervisors right now and I am more than qualified for one of the positions. In fact, last week my supervisor said I needed to apply and I've been tossing the idea around in my head. I've decided to go for it, so now I am updating my resume.

Here's my question to you: How do I put all of that good stuff about what an awesome employee I am into my resume without it coming off bad? It's not like I can add extra embelishment to it, but I am not sure how I could word it either.

Ideas?

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 04-20-2005 12:50:36 PM
quote:
How do I put all of that good stuff about what an awesome employee I am into my resume without it coming off bad? It's not like I can add extra embelishment to it, but I am not sure how I could word it either.

This is material for a cover letter.

Your resume should be little more than a record of your job history. The cover letter, however, lets you tailor your resume's qualifications to the specific employer and job you're applying for.

You should list your strengths (usually about three) in your intro, and in later paragraphs expand on those themes, how they apply to the job you're applying for. This is your opportunity to sell yourself. And it should either be a full page or a little less than two, but not more than about two pages (page = one side, in my def'n).

And a recommendation attached from your current supervisor wouldn't hurt.

Hope this helps and good luck!

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Vernaltemptress
Withered and Alone
posted 04-20-2005 01:30:34 PM
No, no, no.

She can and should use quantitative descriptions in her resume to highlight her skills that sets her apart from her peers.

Jaja, ask your boss if he knows a good way to talk about your productivity rate in your resume. Also, if the 6% error rate is way below norm, that might also be a good thing to put in the resume.

Obamanomics: spend, tax, and borrow.
frolicking imp
Pancake
posted 04-20-2005 06:32:07 PM
using the phrase "increased productivity by such and such rate" is always good,
*A Nypmh hits you and steals your virginity*
Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael
I posted in a title changing thread.
posted 04-21-2005 12:38:52 AM
All good ideas, but you know she's just going to flash her boobs.
Lyinar's sweetie and don't you forget it!*
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. -Roy Batty
*Also Lyinar's attack panda

sigpic courtesy of This Guy, original modified by me

Jajahotep
Vader to Deth's Obi-wan
posted 04-21-2005 02:48:58 AM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Ja'Deth Issar Ka'bael:
All good ideas, but you know she's just going to flash her boobs.

It may just have to come to that. My printer won't print and therefore a resume cannot be turned in.

Alaan
posted 04-21-2005 12:49:48 PM
quote:
ACES! Another post by Jajahotep:
It may just have to come to that. My printer won't print and therefore a resume cannot be turned in.

e-mail it to yourself and use a library or friend.

Reynar
Oldest Member
Best Lap
posted 04-21-2005 01:49:48 PM
quote:
Alaan had this to say about (_|_):
e-mail it to yourself and use a library or friend.

Yep, or save it to CD/Disk, take it to Kinko's and they will print you up some nice professional looking resumes.

"Give me control of a nation's money, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Rothschild
All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: