EverCrest Message Forums
You are not logged in. Login or Register.
Author
Topic: College Visit: Northwestern
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 04-17-2005 06:46:54 PM
So on Thursday I left to make my first college visit. I met up with my dad at the airport--he'd been stuck in some plush hotel all week at a conference--and we took a cab back to his hotel. Chicago cabbies are frightening when they drive; the night flew away at about 90 miles per hour all the way into downtown.

In the morning we met up with my girlfriend and her folks, and we all made our way up north to Evanston. After a short informational session--a rather dry powerpoint presentation--we followed a journalism major around as she described various buildings on campus. It felt a little cramped; most of the buildings were on a narrow stretch about a mile and a half long. For the most part, all of the buildings were very nice looking--at least down at the south end of campus, I didn't get all the way up north. Unfortunately the library didn't look the greatest. Being a language nerd like I am, that's a tragic downfall.

Spent maybe about four hours wandering around campus, and I just feel sorta lukewarm about it. Can't exactly pinpoint what qualities are lacking, or turning me off of the school. Northwestern just didn't click with me--it didn't make me feel all giddy and excited to apply there.

Next up will be the Minnesota schools--Carleton and Macalester. After that I have two Ohio schools to squeeze in--Oberlin and Kenyon. Boston University will most likely not get a visit, due to time and financials. By the time my Ohio trip comes around, I will likely start my applications.

Any other class of '06 people on EverCrest? Or am I the only one?

Demos
Pancake
posted 04-17-2005 06:55:02 PM
Talk to Vise, his bro went to Northwestern. But he also started there at age 16, double majored and is now at cambridge in england.
"Jesus saves, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich."
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 04-17-2005 06:57:39 PM
Yeah, the library is really ugly (although it's quite extensive). I honestly don't go there that much.

If you saw Foster-Walker Complex, I'm typing this from there. Yaaay!

Also, were you shown Tech? It's only one of the greatest buildings on the face of the earth.

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 04-17-2005 09:55:49 PM
quote:
Lenlalron Flameblaster obviously shouldn't have said:
Yeah, the library is really ugly (although it's quite extensive). I honestly don't go there that much.

If you saw Foster-Walker Complex, I'm typing this from there. Yaaay!

Also, were you shown Tech? It's only one of the greatest buildings on the face of the earth.

The most north we went was across the street from the Foster-Walker Complex.

We didn't get to see Tech.

Mr. Parcelan
posted 04-17-2005 09:56:42 PM
ASU ASU ASU
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 04-17-2005 09:58:34 PM
quote:
Vorbis wrote this stupid crap:
The most north we went was across the street from the Foster-Walker Complex.

We didn't get to see Tech.

They didn't show you like 2/3 of the freaking campus. What are they up to? > : (

Grammar is your enemy! - While being able to understand someone's sentences might seem like a good idea for a proper essay, complaining on a forum scarcely leaves time for such trivialities. Write fast! You're angry, grrr! Make that show, and forget about things like capital letters, punctuation, and verbs.
Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 04-17-2005 10:05:14 PM
quote:
Lenlalron Flameblaster probably says this to all the girls:
They didn't show you like 2/3 of the freaking campus. What are they up to? > : (

Not very much, obv. I felt a little gyped when I saw the campus map at the end of the tour.

Not to mention the lady talked really quietly and pointed at a lot of far away things to explain them.

Vise the Stompy
Title now 100% ass free!
posted 04-17-2005 10:09:53 PM
Actually he only spent a year at campbridge and is now at Harvard. Enough braggin about family achievments. Here is a few pros and cons I have observed from talking with my brother.

Pros: Good education, Northwestern, at least the science and mathmatics departments, has really good teachers. Also Northwestern provides good connections if you desire to pursue higher education.

Cons: Money, tuition and housing are extremly expensive so if you want to go, either have a good scholarship or expect to shell out big bucks. Also a minor con, Evanston are asses when it comes to parking. We got a parking ticket in an area that made absolutly no indication that it wasn't ok to park there.

Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 04-17-2005 10:22:30 PM
Also, NU's business and journalism schools are top-notch. I mean, it's really expensive (and they increased it again > : ( ) but it's pretty much worth it- there are plenty of ways to go.

Parking is a pain, and Evanston hates us.

Haha.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 04-17-2005 10:26:00 PM
quote:
Lenlalron Flameblaster's unholy Backstreet Boys obsession manifested in:
Also, NU's business and journalism schools are top-notch. I mean, it's really expensive (and they increased it again > : ( ) but it's pretty much worth it- there are plenty of ways to go.

Parking is a pain, and Evanston hates us.

Haha.

I hear freshmen aren't allowed to have cars!

But is it a real struggle to get from dorm to class to class to class to dorm?

Vorbis fucked around with this message on 04-17-2005 at 10:26 PM.

BacardiMunch
Wise enough not to pee on the electric fence?
posted 04-17-2005 10:38:57 PM
I'm a Class of '06 member.

Are you thinking of staying within the state area? or perhaps North? or just going to the best school possible?

I am looking at schools that offer good theatre programs. Yes, I know it seems stupid.

I have a friend who's definately Ivy bound, and both of his parents went to Northwestern for Medschool. They seem to be firm believers in the establishment.

I've only personally visited NYU when it comes to schools with reputations like that. NYU is massive, but when I went for a tour I felt giddy at the amount of positive things they had to offer. The bad thing is that they do NOT offer many scholarships. I'm told it's also a very taxing enviroment and that it can be the hardest thing you've ever known to just manage health and time. Tisch School of the Arts is aslo very elitest, but I think they only held photo journalism.

I'd like to chat with you sometime about this subject of schools. IM me at MJH13108.

Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-18-2005 12:45:47 AM
Depending on how the next two years pan out, I may end up at Northwestern for Grad School.
Lenlalron Flameblaster
posted 04-18-2005 05:37:31 PM
quote:
Vorbis's account was hax0red to write:
I hear freshmen aren't allowed to have cars!

But is it a real struggle to get from dorm to class to class to class to dorm?

I think that's true. I didn't have a car anyway, so, it's irrelevant.

It's really easy to get to any class. I'd say the worst (Jones to Francis Searle, the northern most class building I can think up) takes 15 minutes. That's the extreme case though.

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 04-18-2005 06:45:19 PM
quote:
BacardiMunch had this to say about Cuba:
I'm a Class of '06 member.

Are you thinking of staying within the state area? or perhaps North? or just going to the best school possible?

I am looking at schools that offer good theatre programs. Yes, I know it seems stupid.

My dad graduated from University of Nebraska with a BA in Theatre in the '70s. On a recent tour (three years?), I happened to hear that they still have a great program there, for physics, too. And it's only about 6-10 hours from Chicago (depends on how fast you drive).

My question: I've got family in the northern suburbs of Chicago, uh, Waukegan area. Is there no train service near Evanston? Used to ride the train into downtown rather than try to fight traffic. Just wondering.

Random point: I'm class of '06, too! Although it's a college degree I'm getting. I agree that you should check out ASU (Angelo State University in San Angelo, TX ). Small school, but cheap and good programs. Top ranked in nursing, teaching, and computer science outside of the ivy leagues.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Addy
posted 04-18-2005 06:49:31 PM
Carleton? Good choice, know some folks who go there.
Arttemis
Not Squire... but a guitar!
posted 04-18-2005 09:13:57 PM
People visit colleges during their junior year?
Addy
posted 04-18-2005 09:15:28 PM
quote:
We were all impressed when Arttemis wrote:
People visit colleges during their junior year?

That's the best time to visit, actually.

Arttemis
posted 04-18-2005 09:16:33 PM
Addy
posted 04-18-2005 09:45:04 PM
quote:
Arttemis had this to say about John Romero:

It's true, especially if you want to attend a more prestigeous school. It's pretty much a must to send in your application before the early decision deadline.

Arttemis
posted 04-18-2005 10:01:15 PM
See, the way I always saw it done was to apply, then to visit.

Of course, I didn't actually do the whole college visit thing, so I could be totally off base there.

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 04-19-2005 12:21:57 AM
quote:
Arttemis had this to say about Cuba:
See, the way I always saw it done was to apply, then to visit.

Of course, I didn't actually do the whole college visit thing, so I could be totally off base there.

Visits also help me determine whether or not I want to apply. It's nice to know whether I'd actually want to go or not before sending an extra chunk of cash off in the mail--application fees for seven colleges can rack up pretty fast.

Arttemis
posted 04-19-2005 09:54:30 AM
quote:
Vorbis's account was hax0red to write:
Visits also help me determine whether or not I want to apply. It's nice to know whether I'd actually want to go or not before sending an extra chunk of cash off in the mail--application fees for seven colleges can rack up pretty fast.

But don't the visits cost money? Travel fees, hotel fares...

Vorbis
Vend-A-Goat
posted 04-19-2005 10:29:21 AM
quote:
Arttemis stopped staring at Deedlit long enough to write:
But don't the visits cost money? Travel fees, hotel fares...

Yeah, but if I'm doing visits after I apply I'd still be visiting the same number of schools.

very important poster
a sweet title
posted 04-19-2005 12:40:48 PM
quote:
While possessed by the spirit of Somthor, Vorbis wrote:

class of '06 for life

hey
Falaanla Marr
I AM HOT CHIX
posted 04-19-2005 02:36:43 PM
quote:
This insanity brought to you by Vorbis:

I'm afraid of the costs of grad school applications -- I'm putting away as much money as I can this year because I plan to apply to quite a few schools. Hopefully, my decision is made for me and only one accepts me.

I just hope I don't get accepted to both, say, Columbia and Northwestern.

frolicking imp
Pancake
posted 04-19-2005 02:54:33 PM
i didnt even try for northwestern, crappy low gpa. I go to Northeastern, stay away, stay far away. its like one (small) step up from a community college..if that.
*A Nypmh hits you and steals your virginity*
Lesage
APPROVED
posted 04-19-2005 08:10:18 PM
I'm class of '05. So I own you all.
Premarital sex isn't worth it! You can catch AIDS, or cancer, or testicle weevils, or a bad body image or rickets. You know what IS worth it? Making love to Jesus. Because you can't knock Him up and He'll never ask what you're thinking – cuz He already knows!
^^Good times there!

Still always, Not-Dude.

Gunslinger Moogle
No longer a gimmick
posted 04-19-2005 08:16:31 PM
quote:
Lesage got a good feeling!

Hear, hear!

moogle is the 3241727861th binary digit of pi

Disclaimer: I'm just kidding, I love all living things.
The fastest draw in the Crest.
"The Internet is MY critical thinking course." -Maradon
"Gambling for the husband, an abortion for the wife and fireworks for the kids they chose to keep? Fuck you, Disneyland. The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is the happiest place on Earth." -JooJooFlop

Steven Steve
posted 04-19-2005 08:36:24 PM
I got something from Northwestern too. This summer, I'll be hitting New York for Cornell and Ney York University and maybe I'll see Northwestern on the way back.
"Absolutely NOTHING [will stop me from buying Diablo III]. I will buy it regardless of what they do."
- Grawbad, Battle.net forums

"Don't want to sound like a fanboy, but I am with you. I'll buy it for sure, it's just a matter of for how long I will be playing it..."
- Silvast, Battle.net forums

Big Easy
Pancake
posted 04-20-2005 12:33:44 AM
quote:
Lesage's fortune cookie read:

Die '05! Whoop! Sorry, that was my Aggie year that I'm still trying to recover from

Besides, you're in high school. I graduated the year you became freshmen. Just about anybody can get a bloody high school diploma. They give them away, especially in TX.

"A little rebellion now and then is a good thing." -- Thomas Jefferson
"Unbelievably, a goldfish can kill a gorilla. However, it does require a substantial element of surprise." -- George Carlin
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin
"I finally figured out what e-mail is for. It's for communicating with people you'd rather not talk to." -- Also George Carlin
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity." -- "The Second Coming" by Wm. Butler Yeats
Karnaj
Road Warrior Queef
posted 04-20-2005 12:42:08 AM
'05 bitches. Three weeks and I'm outtie.

But first, cocktails!

That's the American Dream: to make your life into something you can sell. - Chuck Palahniuk, Haunted

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Beer.

All times are US/Eastern
Hop To: